Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

is gazelle.com a scam?

10-14-2011, 05:49 PM
vCash: 500
is gazelle.com a scam?

They say they buy old phones but it looked as bad as those crazy fox commercials. Anyone ever used a site like this?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
10-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Is it on Origin?
Send a message via MSN to Towers

Wall Street Journal article from July 21st 2011.

A lot of posts on websites with dissatisfied customers though. I would be wary.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
HFB Partner
I've used them once and didn't have a problem. They do pay more for Apple products.

Colorado Avalanche Prospects-- News and updates on the future of the Colorado Avalanche!
Colorado's Future -- Mudiay * Manning * MacKinnon * Arenado
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
10-14-2011, 07:51 PM
If you want a site that you trust, simply use eBay's Instant Sale feature: http://instantsale.ebay.com

Gazelle.com looks no different. They offer you substantially less than your phone is worth and then turn around and sell it on eBay for more. Apparently, some people complain that it's a scam because, after Gazelle received their item and inspected it, they were offered less than they were quoted by the website. A former employee who wrote in the comments for that WSJ article argues, though, that sellers try to scam them by listing items in better condition than they really are. When Gazelle receives the item, inspects it and determines that the seller wasn't forthright about its condition, obviously, they need to pay less for it than they quoted. Of course, they have an opportunity to be dishonest, themselves, and mark down the condition unfairly, but I have a much harder time believing that they'd do that than believing that some sellers would be dishonest about an item's condition (which is practically a given).

Personally, you're probably much better off selling the item, yourself. Gazelle and eBay Instant Sale both quote me about $60 for a 1.5-year-old smartphone of mine that sells for about $200 at auction on eBay. So, there's no way that I'd use either service. If you don't have a problem with selling on eBay, then that's definitely the better choice for you. Only if you really, really don't like the idea of setting up an auction and dealing with the possibility of buyers not paying or complaining once they receive the item should you really consider these instant sale sites.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-16-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
10-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Le Tricolore
Literally Gretzky
vCash: 152
They talked about it on Diggnation... so... I dunno. I just like Diggnation.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
10-15-2011, 03:45 AM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer
Surprised this is not a total scam. Most ads on FOX Vermont (that we get in Quebec) are of companies blatantly trying to exploit stupid people .

Although i gotta admit that I love how cheesy their ads are compared to those made in Quebec.

My personal favorite is Tronix Country (new crappy refurbished computer for ''ONLY'' 30$ a week for 12 months )

Also, that asbestos lawyer... imagine how much money he's making if broadcasting an ad 24hrs a day targeting the Vermont population that has mesothelioma is a profitable venture!

Last edited by Sergei Goldenhands: 10-15-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Sergei Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
10-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah and then they always have ones where the website has a number in it that changes every week. Sounds like something you can trust

Honestly I'd consider gazelle a scam at this point simply because they don't seem to give you the opportunity to have your device back once they mark down the value. Also just the price difference. Obviously I expect them to make money but 3x what they pay you is serious gouging. At the end of the day I guess it's for people that don't know much about the internet or ebay and they're trying to basically funnel all those noobs into their site via TV ads and take advantage of their stupidity. In my eyes that's a scam.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
10-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote