HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban - Signs of a sophomore slump

Old
10-16-2011, 01:49 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Ive 0 doubt Subban will get back on the right track.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:15 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quit feeding the trolls. Keep those reports coming!

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:03 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Face it, Subban and Price were terrible tonight. Each were directly responsible for bad goals against. Honestly, Subban should sit for a game, if it weren't for injuries he might well do just that.

If Price and Subban play a mediocre game, Habs win 5-2. If either one of them doesn't stink the joint out, it's 4-3 at the closest. I'm not blaming them, they just sucked tonight.
Lol, wow. Is this what this board has come too? "Our superstar" one day.."a bench warmer" the next. Hypocrites roam high and low on this forum.

Other then the giveaway tonight, Subban was good. He made some great passes and made some solid defensive plays as well. Maybe if people got their heads out of their ***** and realized he will make mistakes.

EVERYONE knows P.K. is a risky player. That play that cost us a goal is one he makes 99% of the time. He has been making it since junior without issue..and on this one particular play, it caught up to him. Whether it was predictability or not, Subban bounced back and played some good hockey, including showing good control of the puck on the PP that came early in the third.

He could score 3 goals next game and turn in a brilliant defensive performance, and I guarantee 90% of the haters will go on saying "PK is the best! Norris for the Subbanator!" It makes me sick how people turn on players because of small sample sizes like 4 games. Especially when they are young and basically are the foundation for the entire group of defensemen.

Maybe find a different team to rag on so those that actually are willing to accept the fact that players make errors on the ice, don't have to read the crap like the post that I'm quoting.

That goes for Price too. You know..the guy people were calling the best goaltender in the league two games ago.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:20 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Lol, wow. Is this what this board has come too? "Our superstar" one day.."a bench warmer" the next. Hypocrites roam high and low on this forum.

Other then the giveaway tonight, Subban was good. He made some great passes and made some solid defensive plays as well. Maybe if people got their heads out of their ***** and realized he will make mistakes.

EVERYONE knows P.K. is a risky player. That play that cost us a goal is one he makes 99% of the time. He has been making it since junior without issue..and on this one particular play, it caught up to him. Whether it was predictability or not, Subban bounced back and played some good hockey, including showing good control of the puck on the PP that came early in the third.

He could score 3 goals next game and turn in a brilliant defensive performance, and I guarantee 90% of the haters will go on saying "PK is the best! Norris for the Subbanator!" It makes me sick how people turn on players because of small sample sizes like 4 games. Especially when they are young and basically are the foundation for the entire group of defensemen.

Maybe find a different team to rag on so those that actually are willing to accept the fact that players make errors on the ice, don't have to read the crap like the post that I'm quoting.

That goes for Price too. You know..the guy people were calling the best goaltender in the league two games ago.
relax dude, even the best in NHL history had a few bad games here & there...

no one here is saying he should be traded for a bag of pucks or anything...

he had a bad game, not his first this young season... he'll get better, he'll get his game going, but as of now he is NOT playing well... lets not pretend otherwise.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:23 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
relax dude, even the best in NHL history had a few bad games here & there...

no one here is saying he should be traded for a bag of pucks or anything...

he had a bad game, not his first this young season... he'll get better, he'll get his game going, but as of now he is NOT playing well... lets not pretend otherwise.
I never said he wasn't. But benching him? That is just retarded.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:28 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I never said he wasn't. But benching him? That is just retarded.
did him good last season actually...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Tusk

His first years in the AHL and NHL took him half a season to adapt and then both years he took off in the second, what we thought was an adaptation period is actually an indication that he is a second-half player, and not a full season superstar like most have been saying and hoping.

I don't know if this even deserves a sarcasm smilie, it's been 4 freaking games.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:27 AM
whismer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

was in the same context last season for all but 7 games.

With Hamrlik, Spacek and Wiz or another one to eat minute...

This year, this team rely on him! and Georges ...

whismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:28 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
It's signs of him trying to do too much. He knows he's leading a group of inexperienced D-men. When Markov gets back, Subban will setttle back down.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:27 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It's signs of him trying to do too much. He knows he's leading a group of inexperienced D-men. When Markov gets back, Subban will setttle back down.
He is himself inexperienced... this is why "he trying to do too much". If he knew what he was doing, he wouldn't play this way.

So, yes, those are signs of a "sophomore slump"... or just inexperience.

PG should have been carefull with this a spend a little more than to get a guy like Campoli.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:59 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Well I blame Gauthier for Subban's problems. I'm of the mindset Gauthier thought Markov would start the season. Other fans are convinced Markov is right on "schedule" with a November return. Who's right or wrong I don't think anybody knows but if the latter scenario is the case then I blame Gauthier even more.

He ill prepared this D for Markov's absence. This team could have absolutely used another legitimate top 4 d-man to start the season to handle the workload PK has now. One need not go back many years to review the injury history on this D.

I don't know that Martin's system is helping right now. Don't want to blame him too much because he's only coached the team's best player about 50 games in two plus years now. Having said that I just think his system puts added pressure on a part of the team most vulnerable ATM.

PK's gotta do everything right now offensively and defensively and worry about a pretty useless D partner to boot. I'm more disappointed with Cole and a few others than I am PK Subban.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:18 AM
zzoo

I'm not worried about PK, I'm sure that he will pick it up.
But later when he will score hat-trick, please don't think that he's the top 10 defensemen, please remember his first 4 horrible games.

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:28 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
The only truly stupid mistake he made tonight was not checking to see his partner was making a line change before superheroing through the entire Colorado team and giving it away.
This.

Subban was having a great game up until that give-away and several myself included we're giving him props for it in the GDT. People are very quick to forget. Subban will always be an offense-first thinker, just like Mike Green. Your going to see stupid things from him like that from time to time and you have to be prepared for it. Not excusing the move he tried to pull given that he was last man back, but it's on everyone else for not expecting that from him every now and then. That's without even jumping into the fact that he's a notorious slow-starter the past 3-4 seasons in every league he's played, he might get too distracted in the off-season or perhaps takes him a while to get his brain in the game. He's still very young.

It doesn't help that as of right now the only other legitimate Top-4 defenseman in the Montreal Canadiens line-up is Josh Gorges, some of whom on this board don't even recognise as a Top-4 D man. What does that say about the caliber of help he gets on his pairings and from the others to help spread out the load? Last season we atleast had Hamrlik and Wisniewski to take some of the burden off of PK.

Luckily for us it seems Markov isn't too far away, and Emelin and Weber have been playing very well for us (Diaz to a lesser extent, but still well, IMO). The future does look relatively bright for our defense corps with these young guys emerging.

Is it a sophomore slump? Maybe it is.. All I'm saying is that it's not unusual for PK to start slow, it wasn't unusual for him to have trouble producing on the PP given his point partner the first four games being terrible at the position (Plekanec, and Subban/Weber showed a lot of promise last night as a duo), and the fact that Gill is also a very slow starter and is his partner is certainly not helping his cause.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
GoodKiwi

Our worst player so far, no doubt.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:41 AM
HeShootsHeScores

He's not that bad, , and he had a rough stretch at the beginning of last year too. A little talk with Gil and he'll be ok. Gil won't be here every year though.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:44 AM
neofury*

Personally I don't think it is a sign of a sophomore slump, more like a slow start, the whole team seems to be under its affects with only certain players finally seeming to break out a bit last night.

Once these guys also get steady defensive partners they'll improve. It's been a mess all year thus far.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

I'll echo most level-headed posters' thoughts in this thread; Subban will be just fine. I thought he was good against Winnipeg, although the other games were clearly not his best.

There are many reasons why he isn't playing as good as he did in the second part of the season last year. First, he's the only offensive d-man we have in the top-4. As much as I think Weber is critically underrated by fans here, he's not a top-4 D yet and does not come close to Subban's set of skills. I'm sure PK knows that and perhaps he tries to do too much. The season just started, he's playing with new players on defence and the automatisms are not there yet, as showed by his turnover that lead to a goal yesterday.

The positive is that apart from that one costly turnover, Subban is himself. He's always been a risk-taker and we'll have to live with his mistakes. However, he's still our best d-man to jump start the attack and his first pass is above anybody else's on the team apart for Markov, maybe. He still uses his body like no other player to protect the puck and is still an impact player on the PP and our best puck-mover.

He suffered from Pleks being on the point, as the whole PP unit did. We saw last night what an improvement it was to have Plekanec back at his half-wall position, masterminding the bottom part of the zone play. I wasn't sure about putting Subban on the right, giving Weber the one-timer slot, but they seemed to switch from the typical two d-men PP to an umbrella formation with Subban on top often to give PK a chance to fire a few one-timers.

Anyhow, he'll be fine. There will be bumps in the road because of the type of player he is, but he's far from the biggest concern on the team right now.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:11 AM
number72

It seems PK needs other players for him to perform better as opposed to making the team better. With the injuries to Montreal, this is the point where great players step up their game to the next level and make it look like they belong and are superstars. I just thought PK was more then a team player and would perform as a real leader.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
BLONG7

4 games in, relax guys, PK is gonna be fine...he did not play much during camp, and he is like the rest of the team, off to a somewhat slow start...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

To me, right now, that's total BS. We saw PK do that last year as well at some point. What was that? Freshman slump? He needs to think he has to do it all though it is pretty tough to think he doesn't. And he needs to get in some kind of shape 'cause he had no preseason.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:34 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Our worst player so far, no doubt.
Perhaps on the basis of what he is capable of delivering vs what he has, but he has been far from our worst player overall.

His mistake led to the go ahead goal for Colorado last night, but the Habs came back and held a 5-4 lead in the dying minutes of the 3rd period. That's on the team, not on Subban.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

But how expensive would be an UFA player that plays like a #4-5 early in the season and plays like a #1 20-30 games into the season?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
After the terrible giveway, I thought he would be benched. He didn't miss a shift. It was the right decision because on the next shift, he made a sweet pass from his own zone to an open winger for a 3-on-2 rush.

He's going to make mistakes. Everyone does. The reason you'll notice it more, is because it: a. leads to a goal, b. he gets more ice time, more chances to turnover the puck and c. he's young and is still learning.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
He's not that bad, , and he had a rough stretch at the beginning of last year too. A little talk with Gil and he'll be ok. Gil won't be here every year though.
The problem is Gill has been brutal too.

I'm not that concerned yet though, last year Subban was much better in the second half of the season. The way our defence is built it should get better as the season goes on, it's better that these mistakes are happening right now so they can learn from it.

For all the doom talk I've seen a lot more good than bad in every game except the Calgary one.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:13 PM
dutchy29

I think Subban is trying to do too much in the absence of Markov to help a team in a city that is desperate to win. We can't afford to bench him.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote