HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The habs young core players.

Old
10-16-2011, 09:36 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
The habs young core players.

Looking over the roster, we have a lot of young roster players who are going to be big parts of this team moving forward, namely

Pacioretty who is looking like he's going to be a 1st line power forward
Subban who already is a 1st pairing D and will probably be a Boyle clone
Price top 5 goaltender and will likely be a top 3 goaltender

Eller 2nd line center
Desharnais 2nd line center/winger

Frankly the only thing I think were missing is still that elusive number 1 center and possibly another great defenseman, or at least three more top 4 D, Personally I think Beaulieu and Tinordi can be two of those players.

However, even if we do have a down year like the Canucks did in 2008 when they got Hodgson, we could get someone like Alex Galchenynuk or Grigorenko.

Frankly there are a lot of positives on this team going forward. and were only a great forward away from being contenders for years

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:56 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Subban definitely is not like Boyle. And DD is a 3rd line wing when we roll 3 lines of offense.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:35 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Subban definitely is not like Boyle. And DD is a 3rd line wing when we roll 3 lines of offense.
im speaking potential

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:41 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I don't see him play like Boyle though. Boyle is a stud defensively and has been for a long time and won't rush up the ice, end to end and all that. He'll make the smart play with his great vision instead, Markov style.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I realllly want Grigorenko but I realllly don't want to watch this team lose 45+ games.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post

Frankly the only thing I think were missing is still that elusive number 1 center
Yeah this is the problem with most teams, and the reason why the best teams are the best, seems like you almost have to bottom out to get a 1st line centre

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:22 PM
hogtownhabsfan

I think Pleks/Eller can be a solid 1-2 punch down the middle. I think the core is pretty much already within the org. Eventually I expect to see something close to:

Cole-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Bournival-Leblanc-Gionta
Schultz-Engqvist-White

Tinordi-Subban
Bealieu-Emelin
Gorges-Weber/Diaz

Price

I really don't think tanking is necessary. If you're going to tank, you gotta be commited to a several year tank like Oilers/Blackhawks/Penguins/Capitals etc. I think we'd be better off looking towards the Red Wings and their sustained excellence.

hogtownhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Beakermania*

I think Dany Kristo will have a big year at UND and force himself into this conversation.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Talks to Goalposts

The emergence of quality young talents like Subban, Pacioretty, Price and Eller are exactly why Montreal is entering its competitive window right now. They've got the balance of some quality veteran players made affordable by the support of good cheap youngsters

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:58 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Frankly the only thing I think were missing is still that elusive number 1 center and possibly another great defenseman, or at least three more top 4 D, Personally I think Beaulieu and Tinordi can be two of those players.

However, even if we do have a down year like the Canucks did in 2008 when they got Hodgson, we could get someone like Alex Galchenynuk or Grigorenko.

Frankly there are a lot of positives on this team going forward. and were only a great forward away from being contenders for years
Well, yes we are missing the superstar center to propel us from playoff contenders to cup contenders, but we have intruiging prospects/young players like Avtsin, Gallagher, and (like you said) Pacioretty who are capable of being 1st line players and stars for the Habs (but it isn't likely to happen for at least 1 of them, if were lucky, all 3 pan out)

And if we do tank, and get a lottery pick I would want Yakupov or Galchenyuk, even Forsberg.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:15 PM
CHill Seeker

i think we're set on D (subban, tinordi, beaulieu, emelin etc) and in net but need to find some serious talent up front. leblanc, gallagher and bournival are all nice players but none will be more than 25 goal men in NHL - which isn't bad...but we will need some game breakers and not just depth

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
I realllly want Grigorenko but I realllly don't want to watch this team lose 45+ games.
Well, it is going to happen in the future like in 15-20 years when Price and Subban are at the end of their careers, so be prepared. But I sure hope we don't have to tank for too long to get a number 1 elite center or elite winger or defenseman to become a cup contender and to get back on top of the league. If we did get a lottery pick, I would want Yakupov or Galchenyuk IMO but I wouldn't mind having Grigorenko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
Yeah this is the problem with most teams, and the reason why the best teams are the best, seems like you almost have to bottom out to get a 1st line centre
Yeah, but if we don't get that 1st line center soon, other teams like Florida, Washington, Pittisburgh, Edmonton, Ottawa and Chicago will be at the top of the league pretty soon (5-10 years) or will continue to contend and will beat us out in winning the cup. In other words, simply if we don't tank for our star forward soon, we will definelty be beaten easily and might not the playoffs anymore. It will eventually catch up to us.

But there is good news. We may not have to tank becuase this year's draft is very deep in elite talent and teams that didn't pick a defenseman last year will be looking to draft an elite dman instead of a forward becuase they desperately need one (i.e Edmonton, N.Y.I, Winnepeg). With that happening hopefully, some geat forwards could be left for us to take and build around that superstar forward that we have needed in a long time (hopefully Galchenyuk or Forsberg falls off a bit just enough for us to snatch him at 18-20, which is very very unlikely).

Last edited by Mike8: 10-17-2011 at 04:21 AM. Reason: merge
AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:28 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Looking over the roster, we have a lot of young roster players who are going to be big parts of this team moving forward, namely

Eller 2nd line center

You make a good point in general, but David Desharnais has no business in this conversation about young stud talent. Oh, and by the way, Plekanec is a fine centreman and only 4 years older than Desharnais.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:39 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

I like what PG has done. He has done exactly what he said he wanted to do, build a team for the future, but also be competitive today as well. Obviously Erik Cole is that signing of today and not tommorow. But we need to get stronger up the middle.

When you look at Vancouver 2011 , Sedin, Kesler. Chicago 2010, Toews, Sharp. Pittsburgh 2009, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin,
Detroit 2008, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg. Anahiem 2007, Ryan Getzlaf, Andy MacDonald. 2006 Carolina, Eric Staal, Rod Brind'mour. 2004 Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards, 2003 New Jersey Martin Brodeur, and Martin Brodeur.......o....and martin brodeur. 2002. Detroit. Stevie Y, and datsyuk, 2001, Joe sakic and Peter Forsberg, 2000 New Jersey, Brodeur...brodeur....brodeur. 1999, Modano, Newindyk, Carbo.

2012. Plekanec...Gomez........eller? cricket.
I have vancouver rather than boston because going into the playoffs and having every team threat lay down in front of you with injuries is not a consistent recipe for success.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Way too soon to start calling MaxPac a 1st line power forward. He looks good but you're getting ahead of yourself here. Subban has a lot to learn too.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:08 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
In other words, simply if we don't tank for our star forward soon, we will definelty be beaten easily and might not the playoffs anymore. It will eventually catch up to us.
I'm curious, how do you intend for us to tank? If you trade Cammy, Gio, Markov, Cole, Pleks, 5 BIG NAME PLAYERS, we still have Price, Subban and Patches who with the rest of our depth in AK, Eller, DD, Moen, Emelin, Spacek, Weber, Diaz will keep us out of a lottery position.

The only way we can land Yapokiov is if we trade both Price and Subban. At that point, is he really worth it?

edit: the window for us to tank closed about 3 years ago.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:12 AM
DJ Breadman

Yeah we are missing a true number 1 center, it's almost impossible to get unless your picking top 5 or 10. I guess your could sign one, Brad Richards was on the market last summer don't know how hard we tried if at all.

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Yeah we are missing a true number 1 center, it's almost impossible to get unless your picking top 5 or 10. I guess your could sign one, Brad Richards was on the market last summer don't know how hard we tried if at all.
Brad was always going to sign with the Rangers. It was a big show that he entertained offers from the Habs, Leafs, Flames, and Kings, but everyone and their mom knew he was signing with the Rangers.

It was written in stone at the Trade Deadline when he waived his NTC for the Rangers but not for anyone else.

He wanted to play for his old coach in Torts and he knew the Rangers offer would be as big as anyone elses.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:14 AM
BobbyFischer*

I think Eller has a real shot at becoming a big-time legit #1 Center in 3-4 years.

I really believe that.

I know it may not seem that way right now, but wait...

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:17 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Well, it is going to happen in the future like in 15-20 years when Price and Subban are at the end of their careers, so be prepared. But I sure hope we don't have to tank for too long to get a number 1 elite center or elite winger or defenseman to become a cup contender and to get back on top of the league. If we did get a lottery pick, I would want Yakupov or Galchenyuk IMO but I wouldn't mind having Grigorenko.
in 15-20 years ?

haha! care to tell us what will happen in 50 years as well ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

Eller 2nd line center

funny, if you flashback 4-5 years, I think you'd find just about the exact same threads...

Higgins- future 30 goal scorer
Komisarek- shutdown top pairing stud
Price or AHL dominating Halak in nets

strong young nucleus with Pleks, A.Kost, Lapierre
McDo, Subban, Pacioretty, S.Kost, Chipchura, Weber, Maxwell, O'byrne... lots of young talent up front and on defense in the pipelines

all we need to do is land that 1 great fwd/big first line centre, and we'll be set...

I'm SURE Gainey will make it happen, in bob we trust!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:34 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
funny, if you flashback 4-5 years, I think you'd find just about the exact same threads...

Higgins- future 30 goal scorer
Komisarek- shutdown top pairing stud
Price or AHL dominating Halak in nets

strong young nucleus with Pleks, A.Kost, Lapierre
McDo, Subban, Pacioretty, S.Kost
, Chipchura, Weber, Maxwell, O'byrne... lots of young talent up front and on defense in the pipelines

all we need to do is land that 1 great fwd/big first line centre, and we'll be set...

I'm SURE Gainey will make it happen, in bob we trust!

all regular NHLers as of now.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:46 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
all regular NHLers as of now.
yup, 4 of them not with us (gomez and bournival being what's left to show for them), and still with a borderline playoff team...

actually, if we go from the '08, we actually regressed from a conference winning team with a seemingly strong young nucleus and bright future, to a borderline playoff team with a seemingly strong young nucleus and bright future.

hence the

Old
10-17-2011, 02:51 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
yup, 4 of them not with us (gomez and bournival being what's left to show for them), and still with a borderline playoff team...

actually, if we go from the '08, we actually regressed from a conference winning team with a seemingly strong young nucleus and bright future, to a borderline playoff team with a seemingly strong young nucleus and bright future.

hence the
well, I'd take the 7th/8th seed with "some" PO success over the conf winning team, anytime...

Old
10-17-2011, 03:12 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
well, I'd take the 7th/8th seed with "some" PO success over the conf winning team, anytime...
i dunno about that...

loved the playoff run until the conf finals, but then it was almost all heartbreak...

the conference winning team gave me a solid few months of joy, plus 1 1/2 playoff rounds of thrills, before the heartbreak.

since neither came with a happy ending, i think i'll take the conference winning season since it gave me greater time... plus once the season came to a crashing halt, i had a whole summer of feeling pumped about us looking finally like a true contender, whereas after the conf finals loss, and the halak trade, it was back to a summer of questions and despite trying to stay optimistic, a roster that looked more or less poised for another struggle to make the playoffs.