HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF Martin gets fired or no contract renewal, who takes his place?

Old
10-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Aeneas

vCash: 500
i finish my degree this summer...soo i guess if i have time it could look good on a resume

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
How would Plekanec coach the team? An offensive system? A defensive system? An 1-3-1 system?
his system would be called G-A-N-G-S-T-A. Everyone on the team would have to wear a turtleneck, and be a pimp off the ice...literally.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:01 PM
roy munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
...You can tell the D is pretty flimsy but by half way through the season guys like Diaz Weber and Emelin will be a lot better. It's hard to ice 3 rookies + Subban who takes his share of risks divided up by essentially Gorges and Gill. Gill has his share of issues, Gorges has been amazing imo and has been our saving grace...
This. Add Markov, Campoli (long term injury?) and our present D to neofury's list and we're good to go IMO. The forwards don't worry me and once everyone's healthy and clicking we'll have a pretty good O also.

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:08 PM
HCH

It's a moot point because Martin it is highly unlikely that Martin will be fired. For all of his faults he has brought some stability and an air of professionalism to the organization. What might happen is that Martin would be given new responsibilities after the season.

If that is the long term plan, the Habs braintrust should be looking at all options right now and building a short list of candidates. They need to set their priorities and think outside the box.

What was the name of the coach in the Swiss League that discussed here last year

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:21 PM
googlymoogly

Hal Gill he can scream from the bench to the players that they are moving slower than when he played

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:35 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
How would Plekanec coach the team? An offensive system? A defensive system? An 1-3-1 system?
They would all wear a turtleneck and grow a goatee. They would, by definition, get the G-Status. With all that thugness, there's no stopping us even without a system.

Edit: I should read the whole thread next time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
his system would be called G-A-N-G-S-T-A. Everyone on the team would have to wear a turtleneck, and be a pimp off the ice...literally.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:44 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Call me one of the minority but I think if the Randys/Pearn are good systems coaches, Carbonneau would be good to return on an interm basis. Muller after he has some experience.

There is literally no one out there worthy of consideration.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

What's Mario Tremblay doing these days?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Call me one of the minority but I think if the Randys/Pearn are good systems coaches, Carbonneau would be good to return on an interm basis. Muller after he has some experience.

There is literally no one out there worthy of consideration.
Martin is a million times better than Carbonneau.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

I think Craig Hartsburg and Cory Clouston have the best chances.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Pierre Mcguire
Now wouldn't that be fun...................
Martin McGuire?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Protest the Hero

A name that has been brought up before is Benoit Groulx, who is now coaching with the Gatineau Olympiques. I'm not suggesting he's right for the job, but does anyone have anymore information on him, there isn't too much out there other than the articles about him leaving Rochester.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:22 PM
ClasslessGuy

Gainey?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:27 PM
habitue*

Don't waste time searching !

Patrick Roy is the NEXT one !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
What's Mario Tremblay doing these days?
So that he can leave Price in to get shelled, have Price come off the bench, whisper in Geoff Molson's ear that it's his last game as a Hab and have him traded to the Avalanche?

Kirk Muller.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 50
Hal Gill > Tomas Plekanec.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Hal Gill? Perhaps can he be an assistant to any other coach we would get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Don't waste time searching !

Patrick Roy is the NEXT one !
Only if we somehow got Grigorenko or Radulov, players who played under Roy in the Q.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:50 PM
SouthernHab

This is a no brainer.

Arno del Curto, current head coach of Hockey Club Davos in Davos Switzerland.

Curto led HC Davos to Swiss National League A championships in 2002, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011. The guy knows how to win.

The Habs would also have to get rid of Gauthier as he has already demonstrated that his player preference for a team is not in line with the present day NHL. And he carries with him a track record of not much success.

Patrick Roy for GM. He understands hockey, and the Quebec Remparts have been Division Champions for the last three years in a row with Roy as GM.

del Curto and Roy. The Canadiens would win a Cup within two years with this tandem.

Is Molson concerned with winning? Or making money most important with hockey being a secondary concern?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:53 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This is a no brainer.

Arno del Curto, current head coach of Hockey Club Davos in Davos Switzerland.

Curto led HC Davos to Swiss National League A championships in 2002, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011. The guy knows how to win.

The Habs would also have to get rid of Gauthier as he has already demonstrated that his player preference for a team is not in line with the present day NHL. And he carries with him a track record of not much success.

Patrick Roy for GM. He understands hockey, and the Quebec Remparts have been Division Champions for the last three years in a row with Roy as GM.

del Curto and Roy. The Canadiens would win a Cup within two years with this tandem.

Is Molson concerned with winning? Or making money most important with hockey being a secondary concern?
you do know teams make LOTS of $$ with PO games right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:57 PM
old scotia

It's not only Martin that needs to be fired it's the GM Pierre Gauthier. When Gainey left we didn't get a new GM. We got Gainey's flunky. For crip sakes we still got Gainey. Gainey never left. Gainey to some degree kept his job. Not saying Gainey is not a great person. There is probably no one more respected in the league.
But we need a house cleaning. Geoff Molson needs to bring in his own NEW people. Molson has not made a mark on the team yet.
I don't care what anybody says but Patrick Roy is a winner. Whether he PLAYS, COACHES or GENERAL MANAGES. HE WINS.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:57 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you do know teams make LOTS of $$ with PO games right ?
Wonder if Molson was upset with losing in the first round last year?

Or wonder if he was saying that the Habs took the Bruins to Game 7 last year and that really means something?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
It's not only Martin that needs to be fired it's the GM Pierre Gauthier. When Gainey left we didn't get a new GM. We got Gainey's flunky. For crip sakes we still got Gainey. Gainey never left. Gainey to some degree kept his job. Not saying Gainey is not a great person. There is probably no one more respected in the league.
But we need a house cleaning. Geoff Molson needs to bring in his own NEW people. Molson has not made a mark on the team yet.
I don't care what anybody says but Patrick Roy is a winner. Whether he PLAYS, COACHES or GENERAL MANAGES. HE WINS.
I agree, the Habs management reminds me of the Soviet Government in the eighties. A bunch of increasingly aged, increasingly deluded and incompetent leaders with an obsolete and dated perspective.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:44 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Martin is a million times better than Carbonneau.
With an objectively better team we've squeaked into the POs in both seasons under JM while with the worser, less experienced team we were on a clear upward trajectory under Carbo (until the last year).

Just my opinion, but the Carbo hate is way overblown.

Old
10-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
With an objectively better team we've squeaked into the POs in both seasons under JM while with the worser, less experienced team we were on a clear upward trajectory under Carbo (until the last year).

Just my opinion, but the Carbo hate is way overblown.
I'm not crazy about the way Martin wants the team to play but they have never looked nearly as bad under him as they did during Carbonneau's final months. Carbo is much more entertaining to listen to and I really wanted him to succeed as our coach, but the team was completely lifeless and quit near the end.

I couldn't take much more of Dandenault moving from a healthy scratch on D to first-line winger anyways. Between that, Kostopoulos, Streit...I don't think he knew what he was doing when putting lineups together. The way he handled Samsonov's whining to the media was pretty pathetic as well.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I'm not crazy about the way Martin wants the team to play but they have never looked nearly as bad under him as they did during Carbonneau's final months. Carbo is much more entertaining to listen to and I really wanted him to succeed as our coach, but the team was completely lifeless and quit near the end.

I couldn't take much more of Dandenault moving from a healthy scratch on D to first-line winger anyways. Between that, Kostopoulos, Streit...I don't think he knew what he was doing when putting lineups together. The way he handled Samsonov's whining to the media was pretty pathetic as well.
Agreed on almost all counts. I just think that the lockerroom as really toxic and he was stuck with all the blame... until not ONE of the UFAs were resigned and it went to show how bad the squad was that they needed to clean house universally.