Notices

Are the Flames interested in Turris?

Old
10-12-2011, 06:05 PM
slappipappi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Turris has done nothing to warrant a 1st round pick being traded for him. Filatov, for example, is younger and had similar results in similar circumstances, and was swapped for a 3rd. He also did nothing in terms of intimating that he wanted a trade. Turris is so overrated on HFBoards, it's insane.
Turris got 25 points in 65 games as a 22 year old. Backlund got 25 points in 73 games. Turris was picked 3rd overall in the draft. Fitalov had a career high of 7 points in 2010-2011. Fitalov isn't close to those results. Plus pretty much everyone had soured on Fitalov period.

Troy Brouwer is 26 and averaged 34 points over his last 3 complete seasons and brought a first round pick.

Turris has as much value as Backlund, more or less, and I wouldn't trade Backlund for less than a first round pick. I wouldn't even trade him for that unless it was a very high first.

What has Turris done to warrant a first round pick? He got drafted third overall and hasn't suck too badly since then.

Cam Barker was drafted third overall, signed a $3M plus contract after his ELC expired and Chicago traded him for a rental player plus Minny's first round pick (#12) from the previous year, who happened to be Nick Leddy. Leddy is now Chicago's #3-4 D-man , and Barker was allowed to go UFA and is toiling in Edmonton. Barker regressed each year of his contract, but the #3 pick in the draft ranking got him some good trade value anyway based on potential.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Turris got 25 points in 65 games as a 22 year old. Backlund got 25 points in 73 games. Turris was picked 3rd overall in the draft. Fitalov had a career high of 7 points in 2010-2011. Fitalov isn't close to those results. Plus pretty much everyone had soured on Fitalov period.

Troy Brouwer is 26 and averaged 34 points over his last 3 complete seasons and brought a first round pick.

Turris has as much value as Backlund, more or less, and I wouldn't trade Backlund for less than a first round pick. I wouldn't even trade him for that unless it was a very high first.

What has Turris done to warrant a first round pick? He got drafted third overall and hasn't suck too badly since then.

Cam Barker was drafted third overall, signed a $3M plus contract after his ELC expired and Chicago traded him for a rental player plus Minny's first round pick (#12) from the previous year, who happened to be Nick Leddy. Leddy is now Chicago's #3-4 D-man , and Barker was allowed to go UFA and is toiling in Edmonton. Barker regressed each year of his contract, but the #3 pick in the draft ranking got him some good trade value anyway based on potential.
If you think Phoenix is going to get a bunch of good trade offers don't you think they would have bit by now rather then letting a guy sit out???

Thing is you bring up all these past players getting 1st in the past but this is a deep draft class. The players themselves are not comparable as Brouwer is a physical PK guy who can score 20 goals. Barker is a defenseman. These guys have proved they can play at a certain level, Turris has not.

Its also not a good sign when you see a 22 year old holding out for a 3 million dollar contract after getting 24 points.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post

Its also not a good sign when you see a 22 year old holding out for a 3 million dollar contract after getting 24 points.
yeah...potentially nothing but problem with this loser

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:02 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
In your dreams.

Phoenix won't trade Turris for a throw in, which is what both of those guys were in recent trades.

Many teams would love to take a chance on Turris, so the offers will be better than guys like that.

I think someone would give up a first for him. Certainly more than guys like Horak and Butler.
Did I say that its all we would be sending?

Read next time.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Honestly, can't see Turris having much value after this.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:19 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
What has Turris done to warrant a first round pick?

Not a thing.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:53 AM
neo45

I don't see the Flames getting him. What it will take is probably what Calgary isn't willing go give up.

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:01 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
The players themselves are not comparable as Brouwer is a physical PK guy who can score 20 goals.
Brouwer a PK guy?

Since when?

Last year he averaged 36 seconds of PK time per game, 15th on the team.

Brouwer was a guy you could stick on the first line with Toews and Kane and he'd eek out 15-20 goals. Not a bad player, but he'd only get you 35-40 points if you play him with top 6 guys. Not a particularly good defensive player, seldom plays the PK, but plays the PP much more.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Qubax

Quote:
Brouwer a PK guy?

Since when?

Last year he averaged 36 seconds of PK time per game, 15th on the team.

Brouwer was a guy you could stick on the first line with Toews and Kane and he'd eek out 15-20 goals. Not a bad player, but he'd only get you 35-40 points if you play him with top 6 guys. Not a particularly good defensive player, seldom plays the PK, but plays the PP much more.
yah Brouwer is a bit of poor mans Mike Knuble.

Seems like the Hawks are trying to replace Brouwer with Bickell in that role.

I see Brouwer having a pretty good year in Wsh btw.

Anyway, I would love to see us acquire Turris.

Not sure it's realistic, but I would love it.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

You know the more I think about it, I think the only trade that would make sense to get Turris would be Backlund straight up from the Coyotes POV. And I know I said I'd be against it, but I am starting to change my view on the idea of it. Turris' upside is that a of a true #1 centre, Backlund's is a borderline #1. They are both the same age, and got the same amount of points last year. Worst case scenerio is we get virtually the same player coming back who we would end up paying a little more money in the immediate future, best case scenerio is that we have a true #1 centre within a couple of seasons. The only short term risk is the money, but the long term payout could be huge.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
You know the more I think about it, I think the only trade that would make sense to get Turris would be Backlund straight up from the Coyotes POV. And I know I said I'd be against it, but I am starting to change my view on the idea of it. Turris' upside is that a of a true #1 centre, Backlund's is a borderline #1. They are both the same age, and got the same amount of points last year. Worst case scenerio is we get virtually the same player coming back who we would end up paying a little more money in the immediate future, best case scenerio is that we have a true #1 centre within a couple of seasons. The only short term risk is the money, but the long term payout could be huge.
1. Backlund's the first and perhaps the only, home grown prospect in the last five or so years that actually has a chance of being an impact player in the NHL. Turris, while potentially having the higher upside, is a holdout and reportedly has huge issues with Tippet, one the more popular coaches in the NHL. It'd would send a terrible message to what prospects the team has if they trade Backlund for Turris; the Flames have to show some level of commitment to their draft picks.

2. The idea of acquiring Turris is so the Flames can stockpile talent. Trading Backlund away negates that. One of the most important lessons people can learn from the Iginla era is that building around one superstar or elite player is a recipe for failure.

3. At this point in time, Backlund alone isn't enough to convince the Coyotes to move Turris. It'd have to be Backlund and a 1st, and while I think Feaster is certainly dumb enough to make a move like that, thankfully Maloney is still trying to get Turris signed. Backlund and a 1st is way too much for Turris, who is still very much a risky prospect.

If Turris can be acquired for Nemisz/Wahl and Moss, then it's worth it. If Backlund's part of the deal, it's instantly a loss for the Flames.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:14 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
1. Backlund's the first and perhaps the only, home grown prospect in the last five or so years that actually has a chance of being an impact player in the NHL. Turris, while potentially having the higher upside, is a holdout and reportedly has huge issues with Tippet, one the more popular coaches in the NHL. It'd would send a terrible message to what prospects the team has if they trade Backlund for Turris; the Flames have to show some level of commitment to their draft picks.

2. The idea of acquiring Turris is so the Flames can stockpile talent. Trading Backlund away negates that. One of the most important lessons people can learn from the Iginla era is that building around one superstar or elite player is a recipe for failure.

3. At this point in time, Backlund alone isn't enough to convince the Coyotes to move Turris. It'd have to be Backlund and a 1st, and while I think Feaster is certainly dumb enough to make a move like that, thankfully Maloney is still trying to get Turris signed. Backlund and a 1st is way too much for Turris, who is still very much a risky prospect.

If Turris can be acquired for Nemisz/Wahl and Moss, then it's worth it. If Backlund's part of the deal, it's instantly a loss for the Flames.
I agree with you 100% (except that we would need to send Backlund AND a 1st), I'm just weighing the risk is all. Turris is a top talent, something we have a lack of. Outside of Iginla, Tanguay, Gio, Baertschi, and a 1st round pick, I would move almost any other or combination of assets we have to get Turris. If we could acquire Turris without giving up Backlund I would do it in a heartbeat, but I doubt the Yotes would.

I highly doubt the Yotes have any interest whatsoever in Jokinen or Stajan. Bourque could be a possibility I guess. But lets face it, outside of Baertschi, our prospect pool is not so great. Elliot Friedman said the Flames are in the running and Backlund's name was being rumored. I'm not saying I'd do it 100%, but to me it would be tempting given Turris' upside. But I hear what you are saying.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote