Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by banalpie View Post
There are several ways to read Dunlop's character, and the one that I think makes the most sense is that he understands he's being exploited by capital, but decides to exploit just the same to try and maintain his status in the class ladder. I'd argue that it isn't solely born of his own selfish needs, as he is trying to get the team moved to maintain the status quo for his players.
I think his motivation in maintaining the status quo is far more selfish. Throughout the whole movie he's in denial of his playing career coming to an end, and he's fighting tooth and nail to maintain the status quo for himself because he's scared of what happens to him after he hangs up the skates. That's my take. I was watching a few scenes again last night (because of this thread) and he's talking to his wife about what he's going to do after hockey. When she brings him back to reality for everything he says he's going to do, he looks like a deer in the headlights.

Quote:
Moreover, Dunlop is pretty much the only guy in the movie that explicitly understands the exploitation being foisted on the women in the movie, although despite his identification of what is effectively gendered violence, he still can't completely stop himself from using it in situations where it's the only weapon he has. The line "[the owner's son will be committing lewd homosexual acts] faster than you can say Jackie Robinson!" is not intended as a comedy line.

Dunlop is a surprisingly complex character.
But is it really a good thing when someone identifies an injustice, and proceeds to perpetuate it? To me, that's worse than perpetuating an injustice out of ignorance, by a pretty wide margin.

Also love how he's mad jelly of his ex-wife, but spends half the movie trying to exploit Braden's cheating to get into Lily's pants. Classy.

Quote:
One of the great ironies about Slapshot, and the thing that is probably the biggest statement about the society we have decided to live in, is that the Hanson Brothers are the iconic figures that they are.
Ironic, and yet pretty unsurprising.

Last edited by Dogberry: 10-16-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old
10-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Reggie Dunlop was a first class bull s*** artist that didn't want to stop playing hockey.

A great movie and sometimes a movie is just a movie.

Old
10-16-2011, 03:52 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Yearly at the Bilderberg Conference.

Most recently in St. Moritz, Switzerland.
Actually, you're a bit off, because;

It's a known fact, Sonny Jim,
that a secret society..
...of the five wealthiest people,
known as the Pentavirate...
...run everything in the world,
including the newspapers...
...and meet tri-annually at a secret
mansion in Colorado known as...
-..."The Meadows."

Who's in the Pentavirate, you may ask?

The Queen, the Vatican,
the Gettys, the Rothschilds...
...and Colonel Sanders,
before he went tets-up.

Old
10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by banalpie View Post
I wasn't feeling well today and had to get a bunch of stuff done for work, so I turned on Slapshot in the background while I worked in an attempt to cheer myself up. It probably wasn't a great choice, as I always seem to forget that underneath the exterior of sophomoric humor and violence for the sake of violence is a unyielding, depressing critique of society....

The movie's central theme isn't the more obvious candidates of the violence of hockey or the screwed up personal lives of the players, it's a rather unrefined broadside against capitalism. The shutdown of the plant is mirrored by the shutdown of the Chiefs, the personal indignities of the workers mirrored by the indignities of the players... the isolation felt by workers being moved to support capital and the resultant social effects are part of every industry that has an effective wage slave system. This is well established in the movie...
Have you ever seen a company town lose it's only company? Nancy Dowd wrote her screen play in the midst of the 1973-75 recession and that's the era depicted. OPEC Oil Embargo. Steel Crisis. Manufacturing employment falling 2.4 million - mostly men.

Old
10-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Shaun

Mighty Ducks > Slap shot

Old
10-16-2011, 05:16 PM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
I work in a town that is supported by manufacturing at my company and fishing. It's nothing compared to company towns, but in mid 2009, it was similar up there.

Old
10-16-2011, 05:19 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
I'm not sure that Europe's economy is so much worse off than ours. We just had to borrow even more billions to bail out our too-big-to-fail banks and manufacturers just a few short years ago.
At the same time, America has been paying for two wars for 10 years and our debt was still ~90% of GDP in 2010. Last year, Greece's was 130%, Italy's was 120%, Iceland's was 115%, and Belgium's was 100% (mostly because of social welfare programs). France, hailed as one of Europe's safest and strongest economies was at 85% in 2010. 90% is a critical threshold used by the IMF and ratings agencies, but for at least today America's fiscal house is in better order than Europe's.

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 10-16-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old
10-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Never understood the desire to "fight the power."

Fight the power to what end, exactly? To take the power's place? You ain't getting rid of it and replacing it with nothing, nature abhors a vacuum. Replacing them with something other than you just gives you a new cadre of "haves" with the same problem. Replacing them WITH you just means YOU are the problem. Ever-increasing government controls just make the GOVERNMENT the problem (as we've seen all too clearly in the last few decades). So what would be the end game of any "fight" against the "power?" What, to be trite about it, is the exit strategy?

It's going to take something pretty comprehensive, a sea change of the entire society both from the top down and the bottom up. Otherwise you can commentate about the problem all you want, it's still nothing more than one of the most unpleasant side effects of a society that is still far too good to try to tear down and replace.

I still think the American way has a great deal to recommend it. We are not les mesirables. We have rights, and a certain collective control over our national destiny, however the fat cats have tried to water that control down. We are trending in a direction I don't like, and maybe that's the end game. To force the government and other forces that have been struggling against us for control of this country to back down and humble themselves. In that case I think perhaps groups like the Tea Party, and the Wall Street protestors, may have a common enemy (though they themselves as individual factions may fail to admit it) and positive change may be on the verge of happening if both wings of the national political spectrum are prepared in their own way to demand it.

I'd like to hope things will turn out that well anyway. The alternative is much bloodier, and will be heartbreaking if it comes to it.

Old
10-16-2011, 05:30 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
At the same time, America has been paying for two wars for 10 years and our debt was still ~90% of GDP in 2010. Last year, Greece's was 130%, Italy's was 120%, Iceland's was 115%, and Belgium's was 100% (mostly because of social welfare programs). France, hailed as one of Europe's safest and strongest economies was at 85% in 2010. 90% is a critical threshold used by the IMF and ratings agencies, but for at least today America's fiscal house is in better order than Europe's.
I have no problem if this thread is going to be about the film and NOT about capitalism or nationalism of any kind. Take this stuff to the political forum, please.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
10-16-2011, 05:33 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Nevermind. It was a good idea but could not be diverted form political talk.

Closed Thread