HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs victims of an avalanche, lose in SO

Old
10-16-2011, 11:24 AM
The Right Price

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs83 View Post
Just thought i'd mention this about Price, he's battling the flu. The autograph signing that was scheduled for today was cancelled because of that. At least that's the email I got for why it was cancelled. Take it for what it's worth.
But if Price was sick last night why in the blue hell did Budaj not get the nod??

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:32 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
But if Price was sick last night why in the blue hell did Budaj not get the nod??
We wouldn't have even made it to the shootout with Budaj in net.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:36 AM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
We wouldn't have even made it to the shootout with Budaj in net.
Or he could have been pumped to play against his former team and posted a shutout. Speculating is useless at best.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Belso

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/?show=division

Got to say Montreal didn't get the start they wanted.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:49 AM
optimus2861

Bottom line, to start the season with 4 non-playoff teams and only pick up 3 of a possible 8 points is very discouraging. Very tough stretch coming up and the Habs could find themselves in a deep hole by the end of the month if they don't find another gear quickly.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Bottom line, to start the season with 4 non-playoff teams and only pick up 3 of a possible 8 points is very discouraging. Very tough stretch coming up and the Habs could find themselves in a deep hole by the end of the month if they don't find another gear quickly.
To be fair two of those non-playoff teams, Toronto and Calgary, always seem to give us problems for some reason, and the Avs are currently looking good - I'm not sure they can keep it up but that's a team with a lot of young, exciting talent and we essentially outplayed them. If I recall correctly the Avs were in the running for a playoff spot for the first half of the season before they collapsed.

This is a bad way to start the season, don't get me wrong, we need to improve and the sooner the better in such a tight league, but saying we lost to three non-playoff teams makes it sound worse than I think it was. A lot of the teams currently looking good, especially the younger ones, will hit walls at some point, while it would be nice to get out of the gate running, it's better that issues are worked out now than in the middle of the season, like last year.

Could it be possible that this team won't improve? Yes, but I've seen enough to like in every game except the Calgary one to think that the Habs are a few minor adjustments (and less injuries) away from finding the right mix.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
SlipperyPete

As a few have mentioned, I think the most promising thing to come out of last night's game was the play of Emelin. It could really help the team if he's able to step into the top 4 by mid-season or earlier. Unlike some of you, I still think that Gill brings a lot to the table - but probably only in small doses. Put him on a 3rd pairing and 1st PK unit and he'll be fine.

If we could have a top 4 of Markov + Gorges/Emeling and Subban + Gorges/Emelin, I think we'd be pretty well set up. Then we'd have Gill, Spacek, Weber, Diaz and Campoli to sort themselves for the 3rd pairing.

SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:04 PM
29dryden29

Well 4 of 5 in regulation all 5 hole other than the one off the post and in for the tying goal. Price as a butterfly goalie already knows the fundamentals of keeping the twig on the ice to keep that from happening but last night it seemed he forgot that one simple rule. PK did not look good last night Emelin with a couple gaffes and one ended up in the back of our net. The boys batled offensivly but had nothing on teh D side. Our PK is attrocious without Muller running it. Muller should have been made head coach and JM sent to Millwakee for the Preds farm team.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
How are we going to tank, play Budaj for 60 games? Send Subban, Diaz and Emelin to the Bulldogs? Trade away our good players?
Even having Price and Budaj play on an 1A-1B basis (i.e. split starts) would land us a top-5 pick.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:45 PM
headliner

With the injuries, we've got 9 rookies/sophomores in the lineup. We can't expect them to be in their primes. Add in sub-par goaltending, and voila.

The return of a healthy Markov would improve the D depth dramatically....

Cammalleri (our best pure sniper) will do the same on offense.

October could be a very rough month. Sabres, Pens, Leafs, Panthers, Flyers, Bruins, Bruins. Even a W over Florida isn't automatic. Then again, in the last 2 years we have surprised against the better teams.

Should be interesting....but it all depends, as usual, on our goaltending.

Last edited by headliner: 10-16-2011 at 01:53 PM.
headliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:55 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I was at the game and I'm actually pretty happy with how the team played. The offense looked fantastic, and some of the passes that were going through were unreal. Eller, Patch, and Emelin were very impressive. I even liked Moen with Gomez and Gio...Price was not good and had little confidence after we gave up the 4th goal. I knew immediately he'd let everything in during the shootout.

Price will bounce back. If the offense can play like that regularly this team will be very scary.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:57 PM
foreverhabs

I think you may be getting ahead of yourself just a little.

Last edited by foreverhabs: 10-16-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: that is directed to slippery pete
foreverhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I was at the game and I'm actually pretty happy with how the team played. The offense looked fantastic, and some of the passes that were going through were unreal. Eller, Patch, and Emelin were very impressive. I even liked Moen with Gomez and Gio...Price was not good and had little confidence after we gave up the 4th goal. I knew immediately he'd let everything in during the shootout.

Price will bounce back. If the offense can play like that regularly this team will be very scary.
This is what I thought too, not sure why everyone is freaking out. If our forwards play like this most games, we'll be fine. The only reason Colorado got to OT was because Price had an off game. If Price is his usual self, we win 5-2. I fully expect him to bounce back.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Yah, I was at the game also and I'm really surprised by the comments here, it must have looked like a different game on the tube.

The team actually played really well and were the much better team for the most part. The game had no business being anywehre close to what it was. Price let in 3-4 questionable goals that really changed the flow of the game.

The offensive depth of this team is so evident, it showed so much last night. I really don't get the hate on Gomez he played fantastic and made multiple good plays. Moen missed 3 point-blank chances in front of the net all of which were from Gomez passes. I really feel like people are hating because they focus way too much on his game, he makes as many mistakes as anyone else out there. As for Moen being on that line, it was the first time that it actually worked and looked good, though let's hope it's temporary.

For the first time in years I'm not worried about the offense. We got shutout in Toronto and only scored 1 goal in Calgary but those games weren't at all reflective of the offense. We've had more chances than ever in these last 4 games, it's nice to have three lines that can roll out offence.

Price needs to step up, the last few games have been poor. Too bad the defense is so injured (Campoli, Spacek and Markov) because it really limits this team's potential.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yah, I was at the game also and I'm really surprised by the comments here, it must have looked like a different game on the tube.

The team actually played really well and were the much better team for the most part. The game had no business being anywehre close to what it was. Price let in 3-4 questionable goals that really changed the flow of the game.

The offensive depth of this team is so evident, it showed so much last night. I really don't get the hate on Gomez he played fantastic and made multiple good plays. Moen missed 3 point-blank chances in front of the net all of which were from Gomez passes. I really feel like people are hating because they focus way too much on his game, he makes as many mistakes as anyone else out there. As for Moen being on that line, it was the first time that it actually worked and looked good, though let's hope it's temporary.

For the first time in years I'm not worried about the offense. We got shutout in Toronto and only scored 1 goal in Calgary but those games weren't at all reflective of the offense. We've had more chances than ever in these last 4 games, it's nice to have three lines that can roll out offence.

Price needs to step up, the last few games have been poor. Too bad the defense is so injured (Campoli, Spacek and Markov) because it really limits this team's potential.
I watched it on the TV and I agree completely. People wanted a more exciting Habs team and it looks like we finally got one, now we just need Price to step it up and play like the franchise goalie he is.

And while the defense has holes, assuming Markov and Spacegoat come back within a month the defense still has size issues, but also becomes stacked with depth.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:18 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

This team always wins games we don't expect. Watch them win all 3 games this week.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Lynnx*

But... preseason does not mean anything..

Lynnx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Plekanetzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/?show=division

Got to say Montreal didn't get the start they wanted.
On the other hand, look at the Stanley Cup champions...

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
This team always wins games we don't expect. Watch them win all 3 games this week.
In which case I'd call off the attempt to tank.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Plante

We are a bad hockey team at the moment, Im sure the chemistry and everuthing will sink in soon, but....holy wow jebus are we playing some seriously bad hockeh... not confidence out there at all.

I blame it all on the rookies, nngh, the rookies, nngh. And they can take that rookie and shove it up their nngh, shove it up their nngh.

Price, ma boy, you get a mulligan.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:57 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
We are a bad hockey team at the moment, Im sure the chemistry and everuthing will sink in soon, but....holy wow jebus are we playing some seriously bad hockeh... not confidence out there at all.

I blame it all on the rookies, nngh, the rookies, nngh. And they can take that rookie and shove it up their nngh, shove it up their nngh.

Price, ma boy, you get a mulligan.
I'm not sure what's more surprising; that I saw a Limp Bizkit reference on HF or that I immediately picked up on it

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:21 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Bruins 2-3-0
Rangers 0-1-2
Lightning 1-2-2

Stop panicking people. Look at those teams that were supposedly better than us...The Habs showed great things in the first 4 games, they will improve.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:47 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Bruins 2-3-0
Rangers 0-1-2
Lightning 1-2-2

Stop panicking people. Look at those teams that were supposedly better than us...The Habs showed great things in the first 4 games, they will improve.
Yep!...and if by any means we suck all year long

Lafleur will come take out his jersey himself from Bell Center ceiling and give it to him so he can wear the 10 haha

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Rhaego

You could argue both goalies gave up 2 goals they usually don't... Other than that, Montreal really did outplay the Avs. Our defense got outworked speed wise and EJ and Quincey were the only offensive threats. One thing I noticed though, your forwards all seem to have great chemistry, that tip play was pretty sick and the awareness to create the breakaway was nice as well.

Good luck on the rest of the season

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 2100
It sucks to start 1-2-1 but we gotta stay positive... We're the 7th best team 5 on 5 right now which was our big weakness previously.

Our 9 goals 5 on 5 are the 8th most in the league.

-PP and PK can't be worst than what they are right now
-Markov will eventually come (Cammalleri as well)
-Price will not have too many bad games like he did yesterday.

Stay positive guys...

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote