HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rivet Signs With Elmira Jackals

Old
10-11-2011, 08:09 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnuguy View Post
Pardon my ignorance of the ECHL salary structure; but wouldn't he make more actually working at the Wegmans? Assuming he leveraged his captaincy to a night manager position or the like.
He'll likely make as much as someone who makes ~$10-12 per hour who works full time the whole year.
Of course, his money is spread over 26 weeks instead of 52.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:07 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance of the ECHL salary structure; but wouldn't he make more actually working at the Wegmans? Assuming he leveraged his captaincy to a night manager position or the like.
Playing professional hockey or managing a grocery store... somehow I don't think directing midnight restocking holds quite the same excitement as playing in front of a crowd.

And as mentioned, on an hourly basis you're payed much more playing hockey.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM
punkr0x

He doesn't have to make a ton of money, hopefully he didn't spend all of his $14m and isn't doing this just to pay the bills. Sounds like he just wants to keep playing though I'm surprised given the injuries he's suffered that he would want to put his body through more abuse not even at the NHL level.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Bearbait

The AHL has a rule about the amount of players they can dress with a lot of games worth of experience:

"Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season."

So Rivet probably tried to hook up with an AHL team, but with most of these "experienced roster positions" filled, he probably couldn't find a job. Partly because why would a GM in the AHL take a chance on signing him if he might just leave for a NHL job if it becomes available due to injury? (I'm not saying Rivet is headed back to the NHL, I'm just saying that desperate times may make a NHL GM consider him). The AHL team would then be left holding the bag.

Good for him if he still has the passion, plus it's a good promotion in Elmira for hockey in general.

Bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
I could see not wanting to play overseas, but why not play in the AHL? Most teams could use a Brad Lukowich-type that stays in the AHL to "give back" to their fans.
Freedom of movement, he might still think he can play in the NHL and wanted to go to a team that would release him from his contract if he gets an opportunity.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:10 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Playing professional hockey or managing a grocery store... somehow I don't think directing midnight restocking holds quite the same excitement as playing in front of a crowd.

And as mentioned, on an hourly basis you're payed much more playing hockey.
Plus he is already, you know, a millionaire. If I had millions of dollars and was given the choice between managing a grocery store or playing hockey, it's a no brainer. And I would almost certainly be better at managing a grocery store than I am at playing hockey.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
trentondevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
My guess would be that none of the AHL or NHL clubs in the NY/OH area were willing to take a flyer on him right now - too many age/health questions. He is gonna try to dominate the ECHL to prove he can still play at a higher level & hope for his chance.
Dont think he can dominate as his age. Scott Gomez played in the ECHL in 2005 in his prime for the Alaska Aces and got 13 goals and 73 assists, also had his pelvis broken. The ECHL plays better hockey than you would think, and they are all young and very enthusiastic. Heres a link to an article by goal tender Mike Mckenna about the differences between ECHL, AHL and NHL.

http://ingoalmag.com/general/how-do-...s-perspective/

trentondevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:32 AM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
Plus he is already, you know, a millionaire. If I had millions of dollars and was given the choice between managing a grocery store or playing hockey, it's a no brainer. And I would almost certainly be better at managing a grocery store than I am at playing hockey.
Well, if I was a millionaire with a shoulder so messed up it took two years to recover and knocked me out of the NHL, I would probably open a sandwich shop and play in a beer league. Riding the bus doesn't sound very appealing after you see the perks Pegula is buying the guys in the big league.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:14 AM
HogtownSabresfan

To me this just shows how bad he was near the end of his career. Not even being good enough for the AHL. Wow.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Are you serious?

Flight 3407

Ahh.... Ok... I remember now....

I'm haven't lived in Buffalo for over 10 years so...i remeber hearing about it..but it wasn't something that I "lived through" ..

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 06:03 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
To rehash: it was a big deal to the players since many live in the neighborhood where it happened. It was a big deal to the community since almost everyone involved was a WNYer. The team wanted to win their next game as a way of doing what they could for the area and surprisingly they did.
I was at that game and it was a weird night and emotionally charged but it was one regular season game. And it was just hockey. Dead is dead. If one of my relatives was on the flight, I can't imagine caring if the Sabres won or lost. My best friend died two years ago at 42 and to bring him back I'd be willing to miss the playoffs for the rest of my life pretty well.
I think Rivet had heart but very little talent when he arrived. He was slow and done. Sadly there are few highlights of his Buffalo career.
I guess if the San Jose game is all we got, so be it.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post

2:20
I was at that game and definitely one of my top 3 games all time to be at. just the emotion of that whole day was incredible

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Ghills23

The Jackals jerseys are the same style as the SLug jerseys in a different color scheme. That's clearly why he signed with the team.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
It certainly wasn't for the money.

Craig Rivet knew little and cared less about what players earned in the East Coast Hockey League, which was why he told Elmira Jackals GM Robbie Nichols to fill in the blank on the veteran defenseman's contract. Nichols shrugged his shoulders and figured $850 a week would suffice, and he was right.

"Damn," Nichols said last week. "I should have said $650."

And it certainly wasn't for the fame.

Rivet skated away from the spotlight that comes with the 20,000-seat arenas, luxury suites and television contracts linked to the NHL. Hockey Night in Canada isn't showing up any time soon in First Arena, the 3,784-seat palace the Jackals call home, for in-depth interviews with the likes of Benjamin Dieude-Fauvel and Louie Caporusso.

So why would Rivet, one year removed as Buffalo Sabres captain, a month removed from his 37th birthday and his bank account full, spend the season in the ECHL when he could be kicking back and relaxing at his home in Clarence knowing his career was complete?

Get this: He loves the game.

Rivet is playing for the same reasons he did while growing up in North Bay, Ont. He's a competitive guy who enjoys hockey. He knows the game and wants to share everything he's learned over his 16 seasons in the NHL with a collection of prospects who are trying to get there. He's like a kid again.

"It's even better," Rivet said. "When you play in the NHL, everybody watches you and it's all about earning your money. Here, I'm not making any money, so people can't crap on me. It's covering all of the things that I'm trying to cover. I still get to wake up, stretch with the boys, ride the bike, get on the ice and get to practice. It's been great."

Rivet didn't have any grand illusions about returning to the NHL after finishing last season, and his four-year contract worth $14 million, in Columbus. Injuries and slow feet caught up to him, and he returned to Western New York for R&R&R -- rest, relaxation, retirement. He never filed the paperwork and stepped on the ice Monday for the first time since last year when he practiced with the Jackals.

"I was going to hang it up," Rivet said. "I didn't go to the gym once all summer. Once I got into September and watched Pegulaville [take hold], I started getting the itch. It wasn't really about the game but to go to the rink, practice and be somewhat competitive. I wanted to be close to my family, we went from there and I ended up here."

Rivet drove home after practice Wednesday, took his family out for dinner, put his kids to bed and drove back to Elmira on Thursday morning. Later that evening, he was out for dinner with a group of 20-somethings who are still chasing the dream. Rivet feels like he's living the dream because he's playing under his own terms.

He was a consummate professional and leader who handled difficult circumstances [see: benching] with nothing but class. He was a player-coach of sorts during his latter years in the NHL. He's trying to help the kids in Elmira reach the AHL and, eventually, the NHL. South Buffalo defenseman Mike Ratchuk is one of his teammates.
Quote:
Rivet doesn't have a master plan. He's already declined offers to play in the AHL. If he gets back into top shape and an NHL team wants him, he'll return. For now, he's concentrating on playing for the love of the game. Nobody should be surprised if he someday returns to the NHL as a coach.

Good for him.

"I'm going to take baby steps," he said. "Once I officially retire, maybe that's when things will open up for the future. Would I love to stay in hockey and would I love to be a coach? Absolutely. I've been that type of guy for a long time. I'm taking it day by day and enjoying life like you wouldn't believe. I've never been happier to come to the rink."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle595692.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:33 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Yet another guy that wasn't thrilled about coming here who now has a permanent home, despite not playing for Buffalo.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:46 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
My dad used to work there as a Pharmacist. Maybe I can have him make some calls

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:51 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
There's a Weis and a Tops within walking distance of the arena.
As a former resident, I will vouch that Weis has better Donuts than wegman's, however, if we are doing a muffin showdown, Wegman's owns.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:09 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Good for Craig. I think this is awesome. Also, might not be a bad way to get into coaching.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

That's just fantastic to read. Good on him.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote