HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs victims of an avalanche, lose in SO

Old
10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
It sucks to start 1-2-1 but we gotta stay positive... We're the 7th best team 5 on 5 right now which was our big weakness previously.

Our 9 goals 5 on 5 are the 8th most in the league.

-PP and PK can't be worst than what they are right now
-Markov will eventually come (Cammalleri as well)
-Price will not have too many bad games like he did yesterday.

Stay positive guys...
So we rock 5 on 5 but our special teams suck?

We're not in Kansas anymore.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Not that surprising really. On paper, in terms of established and emerging talent, this is the strongest two-way forward group since the nineties. They have both a good power vs power shutdown line based around Plekanec and the talent to form a very good soft minutes exploitation third line around Desharnais.

The special teams suckage can be both a result of small sample sizes, experimental strategies and missing two top level powerplay players in Cammaleri and Markov and only 3 penalty killing defensemen with any NHL experience.

The Chicken Littles on this board over 4 games where Montreal dominated the shot clock (+8.2 per game) were solid 5 on 5 (1.50) and are only -1 in goal differential (don't count shootouts, they mean practically nothing) and had only one actually bad game (against Calgary) are so premature its amusing.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Sometimes I wonder why people watch hockey. Is it only to see your team win, or do you actually want to be entertained?

Last night's game was really fun to watch, a lot of action and could've gone both ways. Games like we had vs TO and Calgary are those that irk me.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Not that surprising really. On paper, in terms of established and emerging talent, this is the strongest two-way forward group since the nineties. They have both a good power vs power shutdown line based around Plekanec and the talent to form a very good soft minutes exploitation third line around Desharnais.

The special teams suckage can be both a result of small sample sizes, experimental strategies and missing two top level powerplay players in Cammaleri and Markov and only 3 penalty killing defensemen with any NHL experience.

The Chicken Littles on this board over 4 games where Montreal dominated the shot clock (+8.2 per game) were solid 5 on 5 (1.50) and are only -1 in goal differential (don't count shootouts, they mean practically nothing) and had only one actually bad game (against Calgary) are so premature its amusing.

I probably came off as more surprised than I actually am. It's just amusing when you think about those teams we had who could only score on the PP. If they keep up their ES dominance and boost up those special teams with the return of guys like cammy and markov, we should be good to go.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I probably came off as more surprised than I actually am. It's just amusing when you think about those teams we had who could only score on the PP. If they keep up their ES dominance and boost up those special teams with the return of guys like cammy and markov, we should be good to go.
The other factor has been Montreal's tendancy to beat themselves rather than get beaten by the other team's play to start this season. On the whole I don't think there is a team in the league Montreal should fear facing this season. They have the talent to do well on ES, PP and PK plus a strong goaltender. They don't have an top-level offensive talent to anchor the first line but the combination an elite two-way center in Plekanec and two high end two-way defensemen in Markov and Subban plus good offensive depth blunts the need for that.

The negative over-reactions here have been completely over the top. Too much results-based rather than process-based thinking.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I'm surprised nobody is speaking about AK. I think he was probably our best forward yesterday with DD. He made something happen almost every shift. I actually feel he's our best passer up front. Some of the passes he makes are just amazing. So far so good.
Let's see how long he can last like this, but I really enjoyed that line. I also feel matching him with another big forward that goes in the corner will be great for him. Takes some pressure off him to be the only guy with size battling in the corners or going to the front of the net.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm surprised nobody is speaking about AK. I think he was probably our best forward yesterday with DD. He made something happen almost every shift. I actually feel he's our best passer up front. Some of the passes he makes are just amazing. So far so good.
Let's see how long he can last like this, but I really enjoyed that line. I also feel matching him with another big forward that goes in the corner will be great for him. Takes some pressure off him to be the only guy with size battling in the corners or going to the front of the net.
AK was doing quite well but I'd say he and Pacioretty (who was very, very good) were carrying that line, Desharnais was something of a passenger. By both talent and play that's the best winger pairing Montreal had out there.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:37 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
AK was doing quite well but I'd say he and Pacioretty (who was very, very good) were carrying that line, Desharnais was something of a passenger. By both talent and play that's the best winger pairing Montreal had out there.
Would be great to eventually see a patchs-Eller- AK line. Would be damn near impossible to take the puck off them on a good night.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Would be great to eventually see a patchs-Eller- AK line. Would be damn near impossible to take the puck off them on a good night.
I'd like to see that as well, although I think its more likely that the power guys (of which these are three) get distributed throughout the lines. Would be a pretty solid second line in a year or so.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Et le But

Quote:

So basically we are slowly turning into the Bruins?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:43 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I'd like to see that as well, although I think its more likely that the power guys (of which these are three) get distributed throughout the lines. Would be a pretty solid second line in a year or so.
Yeah, I figured the same as you. We don't really have a choice but to distribute the bigger guys to even out what the little guys lack, but if we're in a bind and need some guys to go to the net hard, that would be a pretty sick combo.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Et le But

I really want to see a Patches-Eller-AK line, but it basically condemns Gomez and Gionta to the third line, although at least they'd get to play with "Rocket" Moen

Old
10-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I really want to see a Patches-Eller-AK line, but it basically condemns Gomez and Gionta to the third line, although at least they'd get to play with "Rocket" Moen
Moen-Gomez-Gionta gets used as a shutdown line in this scenario so its not that bad. Or they could stick Desharnais on left wing like they did against Boston. Wouldn't be comfortable with this unless Cammaleri was back to play 1st line LW.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Moen-Gomez-Gionta gets used as a shutdown line in this scenario so its not that bad. Or they could stick Desharnais on left wing like they did against Boston. Wouldn't be comfortable with this unless Cammaleri was back to play 1st line LW.
I was thinking that maybe DD could work in Cammy's place until he comes back, maybe they want to keep Eller there while he looks good but I like Desharnais on the wing more than Eller. Desharnais-Plekanec-Cole actually sounds pretty balanced to me, I wouldn't want him with Gomez and Gionta because it is way too undersized; I'd rather Darche or Moen.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I was thinking that maybe DD could work in Cammy's place until he comes back, maybe they want to keep Eller there while he looks good but I like Desharnais on the wing more than Eller. Desharnais-Plekanec-Cole actually sounds pretty balanced to me, I wouldn't want him with Gomez and Gionta because it is way too undersized; I'd rather Darche or Moen.
Desharnais should never be near Plekanec's line. Pleks gets the hardest minutes and Desharnais is the weakest defensive player in the top nine. An undersize 2nd/3rd line isn't the end of the world Cammaleri-Gomez-Gionta was a perfectly good line when it played together, it wasn't reunited because Montreal's winger depth was too poor to put the two best wingers with Gomez and leave Plekanec with only Kostitsyn. A tough minutes line with a glaring weak link on defense can be disastrous however.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Desharnais should never be near Plekanec's line. Pleks gets the hardest minutes and Desharnais is the weakest defensive player in the top nine. An undersize 2nd/3rd line isn't the end of the world Cammaleri-Gomez-Gionta was a perfectly good line when it played together, it wasn't reunited because Montreal's winger depth was too poor to put the two best wingers with Gomez and leave Plekanec with only Kostitsyn. A tough minutes line with a glaring weak link on defense can be disastrous however.
Desharnais is only a weak defensive player at centre though, when he is forced to play down low and defend the cycle game.

As a winger, playing further up on the boards, and covering point men, he'll be more effective.

Kind of why he's effective in PKing, but not effective in ES defence (as a centre).

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:21 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
So basically we are slowly turning into the Bruins?
Haha well played sir

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
DD's line will not be touched if they keep producing as they have. If the other lines struggle, then JM might be forced to split them up but I don't think he will move them anytime soon.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
The other factor has been Montreal's tendancy to beat themselves rather than get beaten by the other team's play to start this season. On the whole I don't think there is a team in the league Montreal should fear facing this season. They have the talent to do well on ES, PP and PK plus a strong goaltender. They don't have an top-level offensive talent to anchor the first line but the combination an elite two-way center in Plekanec and two high end two-way defensemen in Markov and Subban plus good offensive depth blunts the need for that.

The negative over-reactions here have been completely over the top. Too much results-based rather than process-based thinking.
You're asking for way too much from some of the posters on this board.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
Quote:

Agreed 100% sir. I feel our ES play has improved substantially and the PP is the only aspect left to be improved upon. Hopefully, the return of Markov and Cammy will speed up this process.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote