HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYI/ANA] Okposo for Sbisa

Old
10-17-2011, 05:06 AM
TheZec

vCash: 500
[NYI/ANA] Okposo for Sbisa

First proposal ever.

To Isles: Luca Sbisa (4 yrs, 2.175M cap hit)

To Ducks: Kyle Okposo (5 yrs, 2.8M cap hit)

The Isles do this because they really need a nasty, phisical shut down defender. Sbisa is willing to fight, is young, hits everything and is willing to block shots. In addition to that, he also is speedy. He will not be on the score sheet often, but will slot nicely in a top 4 of Streit, Hamonic and MacDonald, making Mottau expendable. Okposos spot could be filled from whithin by Nino.

The Ducks do this because their second line is quickly aging. After this year, replacement would be needed at wing if Selanne and Blake didn't resign. Okposo could fill that role next year, and with the Blake injury, he could slot in. While as of now not very productive, Okposo can play with an edge and is very responsible defensively. That said, he still has room for improvement, and if he manages to hit less posts, he could be easily score 20 a year for the next 5 years on his contract, at a friendly cap hit. On the downside, I don't know if the Ducks have somebody in their system that could fill up the void left by Sbisa.

Any toughts?

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:23 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

This is extremely intriguing....

I've been high on Sbisa since he broke into the league. The kid has all the talent (and the attitude) to be a great defenseman in this league. He had an incredible game last night, scoring two points and rated a +2.

Having a Swiss line of Streit-Sbisa would be sick. That could be a FANTASTIC line for the Islanders.

If I'm the Islanders, I do this in a heartbeat. Since the last time I tried to propose a trade for Sbisa to come to the Devils I got flamed, I'm not sure what the Ducks fans will think.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:28 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I haven't watched enough Islander games to really have an opinion on this matter. Due to injuries, I don't think I've ever seen Okposo play. I think some Duck fans will question Okposo's durability... but Gets-Perry Ryan-Okposo could be pretty damn good for a top 6 if Okposo stays healthy.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Unholy

That's a very well done and thought out proposal. At first glance I wouldn't hate the proposal I guess.. but.. I'd rather Murray keep Sbisa, see how Holland-Palmieri do in the AHL this year and have them and Etem (who is tearing it up right now) try to compete for those spots and perhaps sign a FA. I think Selanne will retire and doubt Murray re-signs Blake if he still with the team when his contract ends.

But yeah it's intriguing.

Also thinking about losing a future Fowler-Sbisa pairing won't go well with Ducks fans.

Last edited by Unholy: 10-17-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:34 AM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
I don't think Snow would want to trade Okposo, who is a perfect fit on the Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo line. Nino is going to be replacing PAP, not Okposo, so that wouldn't really work either. As much as I like Sbisa, I would still not want to trade KO...without him we lose one of our few true power forwards and a huge part of our top 6. I'd rather have another establish vet to round out our top 4 right now than Sbisa anyways, plus we have CDH coming as soon as next year, so we don't have much of a need for Sbisa regardless.

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:35 AM
glassjaw*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan17 View Post
I don't think Snow would want to trade Okposo, who is a perfect fit on the Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo line.
You would hope he would be a perfect fit since his name is in it.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:37 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
That's a very well done and thought out proposal. At first glance I wouldn't be opposed to it.. but.. I'd rather Murray keep Sbisa, see how Holland-Palmieri do in the AHL this year and have them and Etem (who is tearing it up right now) try to compete for those spots and perhaps sign a FA. I think Selanne will retire and doubt Murray re-signs Blake if he still with the team when his contract ends.

But yeah it's really intriguing.
If they do resign Blake, it'll surely be for no more than what Cogliano is getting. You're team will have a lot of cap space to throw at a top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man.

Old
10-17-2011, 05:39 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If they do resign Blake, it'll surely be for no more than what Cogliano is getting. You're team will have a lot of cap space to throw at a top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man.
If he does for sure but honestly I don't see it happening. Should be his last year here.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:47 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
If he does for sure but honestly I don't see it happening. Should be his last year here.
I kinda think he'll retire. If he's desperate to continue playing I'm some some bottom 10 team would pay him 1.5-2M to play next year. He's lost a lot since leaving the Islanders.

Old
10-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
That's a very well done and thought out proposal. At first glance I wouldn't hate the proposal I guess.. but.. I'd rather Murray keep Sbisa, see how Holland-Palmieri do in the AHL this year and have them and Etem (who is tearing it up right now) try to compete for those spots and perhaps sign a FA. I think Selanne will retire and doubt Murray re-signs Blake if he still with the team when his contract ends.

But yeah it's intriguing.

Also thinking about losing a future Fowler-Sbisa pairing won't go well with Ducks fans.
Agreed. Very good, very intriguing proposal.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

I too think this might be something that could help both the Islanders and Ducks. Being a Ducks fan, I first looked at this and thought, "Okay, sell me". And sure enough, my opinion was changed. Not bad for both teams for now and down the road.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:58 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Could be a good deal for both teams, but it would put tremendous pressure on Neiderreiter, as Okposo is currently the only real power forward on the Isles (though I believe Matt Martin could become that if given the chance.)

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:06 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Value is there but I don't think I could pull the trigger on this, I don't think Guenin-Brookbank would be able to last as a bottom pairing for us.

Good proposal though, very tempting

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:08 AM
StrongIslanders90

I Have liked Sbisa for awhile now....But man I dont know...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:20 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I Have liked Sbisa for awhile now....But man I dont know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Value is there but I don't think I could pull the trigger on this, I don't think Guenin-Brookbank would be able to last as a bottom pairing for us.

Good proposal though, very tempting
The fact that fans from both teams can see a point in making the trade seals it. Easily best proposal of the month.

Old
10-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
This is a really good proposal. I've always been against trading KO just cause of all the time we've invested in him (plus the fact he was the #6 pick in his draft) but Sbisa addresses a need and is looking like he could be a stud defenseman out there. I'd do it

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Not bad proposal and the value is right but I wouldn't do it. The Ducks' 3rd pairing would be worse when two of Guenin, Smaby, Foster and Brookbank would be on it. With Sbisa, we only have to have one of those guys on it. I like the idea of having Okposo to replace Blake now that he is injured and he would be great in the future. Although, we have few players that could fill in for now and do a good job. The Ducks do have few prospects who could step in next season plus, there is going to be a lot cap space to sign a player or two and we could keep Sbisa too.

So thanks but no thanks .

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Force951

Value is there, but i wouldn't do it. Beauch is a UFA after this year, and both Lydman and Visnovsky the year after. So chances are we are going to need Sbisa in the top 4 sooner rather then later, especially since it will be a few years until we can count on one of Clark/Vatanen/Schultz to step in.

TLDR, our prospect pool is setup to fill our top 6 hole easier then a hole on D.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:27 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

From an Isles perspective the value is likely there.

It is tough for the Isles to consider letting a core piece go.

I think it is too early in the season to make this kind of deal.

The Isles D is holding up well at this time, and there are several solid pieces coming for the blueline in de Haan, Donovan and perhaps Ness albeit he is small.

The Okposo, Neilsen, Grabner line is also a big plus for the Isles despite a slowish beginning.

But it is good proposal.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Considering the Isles might have somewhat of a forward 'logjam', this deal could very well make sense for the team, as some combination of an upgraded role for Comeau and Niedderreiter's upcoming debut could make up for Okposo's lost offense.

However, I'm not up to date on how much Sbisa has improved and if Anaheim is in a position to add more offense at the cost of defense.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

In NHL12 I pulled off Sbisa for Comeau and a 2nd and your GM felt bad accepting such a great deal...... so lets do that instead? haha

Seriously though, I really like Sbisa and have thought that with our forward depth and 2(3?) serious top end prospects likely to be pushing for a spot in the next year or so, Okposo would be pushed to the 3rd line anyways. How has Sbisa been playing so far this year? I also love the idea of him playing under the tutelage of a fellow countryman in Streit....

Okay, deal once Nino is back and has a few games under his belt.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Jesus Teemu

Good proposal. Murray probably wouldn't make this trade because he signed Sbisa to a good deal. Maybe if he feels our prospects won't pan out, he'd make the trade.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:57 AM
xECK29x

Really hate to part ways with Okie, he still has a lot more potential than some of my fellow fans believe. This is the closest in value I have seen offered for Okposo though....

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Thats a pretty solid deal for both sides.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:24 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

It's a great deal in terms of value, but I doubt Garth trades Okposo at this point. He's only in year one of his 5 year contract, and I don't think he's reached his upside yet. If he were traded (even though I hate the thought), I would take this and be able to sleep at night.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote