HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2011, 06:50 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
When he's not starting, hes getting hurt in practice! (I'm upset he's hurt though). Hope to see him successfully backing up Montoya.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 500
Sucks for DP personally but, we have another capable backup and Montoya is the starter so this really shouldn't effect anything.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
Why the warning? Nobody is even CLOSE to celebrating an injury to one of our players. I am always skeptical of DP's attitude and how it effects team chemistry but would never hope for an Islander to get hurt and I don't see that from anyone else either. I respectfully would say the tone of your warning was not necessary.
I second it. I have no ill will towards the guy....I just want the team to win and specifically wish he could play this year as his services will no longer be needed once Poulin and/or Nilsson arrive in the league. Monty is our goalie. DP? A guy some hated and who earned some respect and then earned sympathy. I have nothing but hope for him being able to go out in style.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
Why the warning? Nobody is even CLOSE to celebrating an injury to one of our players. I am always skeptical of DP's attitude and how it effects team chemistry but would never hope for an Islander to get hurt and I don't see that from anyone else either. I respectfully would say the tone of your warning was not necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I second it. I have no ill will towards the guy....I just want the team to win and specifically wish he could play this year as his services will no longer be needed once Poulin and/or Nilsson arrive in the league. Monty is our goalie. DP? A guy some hated and who earned some respect and then earned sympathy. I have nothing but hope for him being able to go out in style.
The warning was posted because its DP and we know how the conversation goes with him from past experience. Thats why the warning was posted.

10-12-2011, 10:51 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
The warning was posted because its DP and we know how the conversation goes with him from past experience. Thats why the warning was posted.
Gotcha.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:57 PM
bigdom1012

I honestly feel really bad for him... regardless of what anyone says about him dp is all
heart and truly loved long island and the team...he signed a long term deal and
not for a crazy amount because he wanted to see this team win and be our
leader...and for an organization that has been embarassed by players insulting
us that says alot about his character
Before the injuries he was a solid goalie tying osgood n smith in wins with a
team that wasnt so great was an accomplishment as well as his all star pick and olympic goalie he
was the stability in net we hadnt seen in a long time and had love for this team
that we havent seen in a player in awhile

He didnt ask for all this bad luck and his attitude has calmed down alot some of
his interviews last year kinda made me wanna just say a prayer for him cuz i
felt so bad...u can see how bad he wants to go back to that all star and olympic
year and be the hero of this team

As much as i am annoyed about all his troubles there is still a part of me thats
wants to see hin take back that starting position and prove all the naysayers
wrong and put up good numbers again like in 06 07...

one thing i noticed on the home opener is when he was introduced and all the boos came in he kinda had this look of shme on his face but another thing that caught my eye was when he joined the line of players he did something no one else did and he shook hands with all of our players and made them salute the crowd when intros were done says alot about his character

Old
10-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Gotcha.
Thanks for understanding.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdom1012 View Post
one thing i noticed on the home opener is when he was introduced and all the boos came in he kinda had this look of shme on his face but another thing that caught my eye was when he joined the line of players he did something no one else did and he shook hands with all of our players and made them salute the crowd when intros were done says alot about his character
It does say a lot about his character. That move, I saw it too, was one of the most arrogant things I've ever seen. That was a moment he was trying to make all about him. Look at me, I shook everyone's hand, look at me I made a scene telling everyone to salute the crowd, as if they team wouldn't have done that anyway. He wanted to stand out. Very typcial for him. It always has to be about "The Rick", he wanted to be the story there.

Old
10-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
It does say a lot about his character. That move, I saw it too, was one of the most arrogant things I've ever seen. That was a moment he was trying to make all about him. Look at me, I shook everyone's hand, look at me I made a scene telling everyone to salute the crowd, as if they team wouldn't have done that anyway. He wanted to stand out. Very typcial for him. It always has to be about "The Rick", he wanted to be the story there.
Holy overexaggeration!!!!!! Yea it says a lot because he was getting the team to acknowledge the crowd? How about him going to the FDNY and NYPD guys and shaking their hands? I thought that was fantastic of him to do that personally since they pretty much got pushed to the side during introductions.

Old
10-13-2011, 10:41 AM
bigdom1012

Quote:
U see it ur way ill see it my way

Old
10-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Holy overexaggeration!!!!!! Yea it says a lot because he was getting the team to acknowledge the crowd? How about him going to the FDNY and NYPD guys and shaking their hands? I thought that was fantastic of him to do that personally since they pretty much got pushed to the side during introductions.
The team would have acknowledged the crowd anyway and I am sure he wasn't the only player to shake the hands of a few cops and firemen. My point is he tried to to make the moment about him, as he always has done.

Old
10-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
The team would have acknowledged the crowd anyway and I am sure he wasn't the only player to shake the hands of a few cops and firemen. My point is he tried to to make the moment about him, as he always has done.
I was at the game he was the only one after being introduced that shaked the hands of the cops and firemen. Personally I'm not sure if they would have acknowledgedthe crowd or not so I can't comment on that.

Old
10-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
I was at the game he was the only one after being introduced that shaked the hands of the cops and firemen. Personally I'm not sure if they would have acknowledgedthe crowd or not so I can't comment on that.
And that sums up my point. By shaking thier handswhen no one else did he made it a "me" moment. Look at me, I'm the only one doing this, spotlight please! Maybe I was jumping the gun saying other members of the team would have as well.

Old
10-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
And that sums up my point. By shaking thier handswhen no one else did he made it a "me" moment. Look at me, I'm the only one doing this, spotlight please! Maybe I was jumping the gun saying other members of the team would have as well.
I dunno to me that's just no a "me" moment considering his family background. I say let's just agree to disagree.

Old
10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Well he didnt shake my hand and so I find him arrogant! Though I wasn't at the game but he could of looked in the camera and said hello

Old
10-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Icedemon

So since a new CBA should be coming up next summer (Still have next season under the current one so no lockout is coming). Will dp be bought out if there is a one time buyout like there was before the 2005-2006 season when teams were able to buyout one bad contract and have it erased from their books permanently? I think yes. Isles can't keep doing this crap with dp every season for the next 9 years of that abomination of a contract. If wang only signed dp to a 7 year deal like smith told him to then buying him out this year wouldn't be such a bad thing. Cause buying him out right now would leave him on our books for $1.5 million over the next 18 years. Hopefully the one time buyout clause will come this summer. It all depends on the NHLPA for that to happen.

Old
10-16-2011, 10:45 AM
number72

Both Nabby and Montoya pull out respectable games. He really should be in the AHL at this point - well except for that contract. Must suck to be DP.

Old
10-16-2011, 11:59 AM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

i know DP has been a shell of his former self for years now and has really mucked up this whole goaltender situation, however, I really do feel bad for the guy.

He has made me mad and I always felt he was over-hyped and never deserved that contract, but its hard to hate him. To say he was arrogant to do what he did at the player introductions is a little messed up. It must suck to b booed knowing that most of the fans dont like you and to do what he did i felt it was pretty admirable.

Old
10-16-2011, 02:32 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
i know DP has been a shell of his former self for years now and has really mucked up this whole goaltender situation, however, I really do feel bad for the guy.

He has made me mad and I always felt he was over-hyped and never deserved that contract, but its hard to hate him. To say he was arrogant to do what he did at the player introductions is a little messed up. It must suck to b booed knowing that most of the fans dont like you and to do what he did i felt it was pretty admirable.
So do I. (Had to get rid of the "Just say NO!" avatar finally.....respect, if for no other reason.)

I never did hate him outright....he becomes the proxy for the disappointment in management for signing him to that deal in the first place, becoming the defacto figure that represents the team's struggle to escape mediocrity. Management created a situation in which we have to deal with his buyout cap hit, controversial injuries and depth chart buggery at the same time...and all he wanted to do was be an Islander for life. I know I may frequently come off as a "DP naysayer" often enough, but when I get ticked off with DP, i'm REALLY just ticked with Milbury (45%), Wang (45%), and a combination of DP & Snow make up the remaining ten.

Perfect scenario would be seeing reality set in, letting him retire due to injuries in a way that doesn't hamstring the team for 18 years and watching him take a job assisting Doug Weight....

I wonder what would happen if Montoya & Nabokov just took their jobs and ran with them. I don't expect JT to power this line-up to the playoffs without the 2nd & 3rd lines remembering how to score, but what if they simply don't 'come back down to earth' as far as everyone thinks? Do you trade Nabby if he and Montoya are collectively pushing the Isles to a win percentage over .650?

Old
10-16-2011, 08:18 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Both Nabby and Montoya pull out respectable games. He really should be in the AHL at this point - well except for that contract. Must suck to be DP.
Real nice

You can't predict stuff like this. This has to be the worst luck ever, I feel so bad for the guy who really loves this team and the sport. He has worked his tail off to come back each and every time from injury.

You cannot blame him for injuries. This is one of the worst cases of bad luck for athletes. He got hit by a puck in practice in the helmet. How is any of that a negative on him? It's insane it would happen to him of all people.

It really sucks. No player deserves this, espcially a player on our team despite alot of Isles fans being ok with it and not caring about him.

I cannot believe the bad luck, it's crazy to even to think about. It really sucks for the guy.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

Old
10-16-2011, 08:53 PM
BeMoney

DP is really in a "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't" kind of situation.

No matter what he does he has critics.

He comes back quick after an injury and gets hurt again - "Why did he come back so quickly, he should have healed 100% and then come back. What a selfish move making it all about him!"

He works his ass off all summer getting ready for the season, has a good preseason and given the back up role. He doesn't flip out or complain but takes it as competition, what's best for the team.

And now people are criticizing him for shaking everyone's hand on the team and getting them to salute the crowd? Seriously? You say that's a knock to character? Does he not have the longest standing tenure with the Isles right now? Shame on him for taking the initiative to show appreciation to the fans and respect for his team mates. I can't believe the nerve of DP...

Everyone is mad at DP for the contract. Breaking News here - he didn't demand that contact, he was offered it. Who in their right mind wouldn't accept a contract that would pay you respectably to do a job that you absolutely love for the next decade +? If you want to be mad about the contract, blame Mad Mike.

He has had terrible luck with injuries, yes he has placed himself in some position that led to the injuries (diving headfirst at the blue line to break up a break away, the fight last year) which may not have been the smartest thing to do but to say he has no heart and question his character is 100% ridiculous in my mind.

/rant

Old
10-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
So do I. (Had to get rid of the "Just say NO!" avatar finally.....respect, if for no other reason.)

I never did hate him outright....he becomes the proxy for the disappointment in management for signing him to that deal in the first place, becoming the defacto figure that represents the team's struggle to escape mediocrity. Management created a situation in which we have to deal with his buyout cap hit, controversial injuries and depth chart buggery at the same time...and all he wanted to do was be an Islander for life. I know I may frequently come off as a "DP naysayer" often enough, but when I get ticked off with DP, i'm REALLY just ticked with Milbury (45%), Wang (45%), and a combination of DP & Snow make up the remaining ten.

Perfect scenario would be seeing reality set in, letting him retire due to injuries in a way that doesn't hamstring the team for 18 years and watching him take a job assisting Doug Weight....

I wonder what would happen if Montoya & Nabokov just took their jobs and ran with them. I don't expect JT to power this line-up to the playoffs without the 2nd & 3rd lines remembering how to score, but what if they simply don't 'come back down to earth' as far as everyone thinks? Do you trade Nabby if he and Montoya are collectively pushing the Isles to a win percentage over .650?
He is the lightning rod for all the Milbury hatred.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:29 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
of course Rick would.....those guys both have ambulance crews. He probably knows their wives and kids by now.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:38 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonstack View Post
DP is really in a "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't" kind of situation.

No matter what he does he has critics.

He comes back quick after an injury and gets hurt again - "Why did he come back so quickly, he should have healed 100% and then come back. What a selfish move making it all about him!"

He works his ass off all summer getting ready for the season, has a good preseason and given the back up role. He doesn't flip out or complain but takes it as competition, what's best for the team.

And now people are criticizing him for shaking everyone's hand on the team and getting them to salute the crowd? Seriously? You say that's a knock to character? Does he not have the longest standing tenure with the Isles right now? Shame on him for taking the initiative to show appreciation to the fans and respect for his team mates. I can't believe the nerve of DP...

Everyone is mad at DP for the contract. Breaking News here - he didn't demand that contact, he was offered it. Who in their right mind wouldn't accept a contract that would pay you respectably to do a job that you absolutely love for the next decade +? If you want to be mad about the contract, blame Mad Mike.

He has had terrible luck with injuries, yes he has placed himself in some position that led to the injuries (diving headfirst at the blue line to break up a break away, the fight last year) which may not have been the smartest thing to do but to say he has no heart and question his character is 100% ridiculous in my mind.

/rant
Milbury was not GM the first or second time a 15 year deal was bellowed out of the owner's intestinal tract onto the hockey world. Smith was and the NHL shot it down the first time and Wang tried again the next year and Bettman allowed it because Jesus hates the team.

Milbury drafted the exciting pick Wang's first year (an impact newsworthy event) after hearing murmers he would be taken before the fifth pick. That is the extent of it. Milbury entertained offers of DP for Samsonov but the trade never got done as Boston didn't like the asking price, so instead he dealt Osgood the following year for some insane reason (Ozzy wouldn't go to American Idol with Chuck and Yash?).

So......why are you blaming Milbury for the contract?

Smith said no, Snow said "OKAY, BOSS!" and he got the contract. It was Wang.

Old
10-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Bones45

I don't think anyone actually wishes ill will, or injury to DP.

That being said, as an ISLANDERS fan (not a DP fan), you have to at least see his injury as stablization of the goalie position on the team. Finally.

Not one goalie in the NHL, I would imagine, would favor a 3 goalie rotation. Not one.

With DP out, Montoya and Nabby will be rotated or play the hot man, with both getting solid work and hopefully running some hot streaks.

Finally, the D will get used to some consistency back there.

This is a douchy thing to say, but DP's injury is a BAD thing for him, but good for the team.

and as and Isles fan, I can honestly say, that I hope he is out for the season.

If you truely think that having a 3 goalie rotation, and having DP playing his usual style (read: disaster), is a PLUS for the team, I would love to hear from you.

I hope I made my point in a PC kinda' way.

Closed Thread