HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How has Voracek looked?

Old
10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
wildburns*

vCash: 500
How has Voracek looked?

I know he has scored a couple. I was jsut wondering how he has been in general?

By the way, I'm a leafs fan who think the moves you guys made incredibly brilliant and schrewd.

wildburns* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:33 AM
SgtJoseph

Voracek has looked good, i am glad we got him. I have read that in the past he takes nights off from time to time and just sort of floats around ? But i have not seen any of that at all.....But i also heard that Courtourier is not strong on the puck, and i have not seen that either, he looks great with the puck.....Go figure

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Broad st phantom

He's one of my favorite additions so far.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:42 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
Voracek led the team in shots during the preseason but had no goals despite some good chances. He changed all that in the first game at Boston with the key goal of the game and maybe the season to date. Still early to get an ideal read on him, and others, but he has passed the test in the role he's been given.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishplayers View Post
I know he has scored a couple. I was jsut wondering how he has been in general?

By the way, I'm a leafs fan who think the moves you guys made incredibly brilliant and schrewd.
I hope you mean "shrewd" and not "screwed"

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:48 AM
mirimon

He's been decent. His line, with Brière and Simmonds, had a rough first couple of games, but has looked better the past two. He's a really good passer, but holds on to the puck a bit too much at times. He's a bit too fond of dangling as well, perhaps. Overall though, he's been pretty good so far.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
He's been decent. His line, with Brière and Simmonds, had a rough first couple of games, but has looked better the past two. He's a really good passer, but holds on to the puck a bit too much at times. He's a bit too fond of dangling as well, perhaps. Overall though, he's been pretty good so far.
He's definitely a guy I like to see in 4 v 4 situations with more open ice because it's so hard to get the puck off him.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I agree with this. I like Voracek, always did, but sometimes he tries to go around TOO many players, Zherdev like. difference is though, on the simple dekes that would keep the pucks under control, Voracek could do that very well (an example is along the boards) while Zherdev would just give up.

I think he has been alright. That line has been terrible though. No chemistry at all.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Voracek has looked good, i am glad we got him. I have read that in the past he takes nights off from time to time and just sort of floats around ? But i have not seen any of that at all.....But i also heard that Courtourier is not strong on the puck, and i have not seen that either, he looks great with the puck.....Go figure
Couturier is definitely a bit weak on the puck in traffic and along the wall right now, but that's simply a product of him needing to add muscle, which will come. He's made some very nice plays with the puck, as well as some loose plays... which should go away as he adjusts to how fast the windows close in the NHL.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Per Meltzer...

Yeah I would like to see more...I hope he starts putting it together..at least by the second half when he will be needed most.

Briere def is missing Leino....I doubt he was thrilled when we passed on him but the dude was just looking for too much..then again getting Briere a complimentary linemate again is very important..

Quote:
Nevertheless, part of playing winning hockey is for players to constantly challenge themselves to get better -- not just in lip service but in reality. Every player on the team has room for improvement.

Among the Flyers' forwards, Jakub Voracek is the player whom I think most needs to push himself to pick up his game in Ottawa and beyond. He has played OK, but I'd like to see him push himself to do a little more that may or may not end up on the scoresheet at the end of the night. I think he's certainly capable of it and has shown it in flashes.

Yes, Voracek has scored two goals in the four games so far. He has shot the puck more frequently, as the team asked him to do at the start of the preseason. He scored on a nice turnaround shot in the opener and convert a Sean Couturier feed in the home opener against Vancouver. But other areas of his game still need to come around. There were signs of it in the LA game. Now he needs to build on it.

Perhaps we were spoiled by the instant chemistry that Ville Leino established with Danny Briere in the 2010 playoffs, and it will just take time for Voracek (who brought a playmaker's reputation with him from Columbus) to get in synch with Briere and Wayne Simmonds. But Voracek will have to start making better use of his linemates. There has to be a happy medium between passing up good shots and getting tunnel vision about beating three defenders to look for your own shot.

Thus far this season, Briere only has five shots on goal through the first four games. You can say that it is up to Danny to get open more when he's away from the puck and create more of his own shots when he's carrying the puck. But Voracek also has some responsibility in this. On at least four occasions in the first two home games, I have seen Briere get himself free of the traffic with an open passing lane and Voracek (who had the puck) either didn't make the read or else did not put the pass where Briere could handle it.

I would also like to see Voracek make a little better use of his size. During the preseason, he showed flashes of being able to protect the puck for lengthy stretches and then dishing to an open teammate. That has yet to happen through the first four games of the regular season. Voracek needs to be a little better on the boards and to force some more turnovers so that his line can pin other teams deep in their own end of the ice.

The two goals so far are nice, and it's good to see pucks going in for Voracek after he struggled to finish plays in the preseason. I'm sure that the assists will also come, as they did in the exhibition schedule, where Voracek had a couple of beautiful setups.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...01711/45/38940

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:38 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Good article by Bill. Only thing I disagree with is the boards. I personally thought that has continued.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:26 AM
wildburns*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I hope you mean "shrewd" and not "screwed"

haha i meant shrewd, what a silly mistake. everyone in Toronto was laughing at the Flyers and guaranteed we'd somehow finish ahead of you. Toronto fans can't see the forest for the trees sometimes though when it comes to other teams.

I was trying to tell my friends that this will allow Giroux amongst other to take control and change the style of the team for the better. Giroux is ****in filthy.

But, I was curious about Voracek since i traded for him in a hockey sim league and always liked him back from CBJ even.

Cheers for the analysis.

wildburns* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:34 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
He doesnt look so good when hes skating face first into Richards shoulder.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Voracek led the team in shots during the preseason but had no goals despite some good chances. He changed all that in the first game at Boston with the key goal of the game and maybe the season to date. Still early to get an ideal read on him, and others, but he has passed the test in the role he's been given.
What has caught me by surprise a few times is his speed. I see a Flyer speeding down the ice and think, who is that? and it's JV. He has great speed, is really playing well off the cycle and has a good long range shot.

He's also been pretty physical too.

So far ALL the new additions have been playing well. Knock wood.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:18 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I want to wait till later in the season to say for sure, but he has looked like a solid role player that brings play making ability.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:58 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I want to wait till later in the season to say for sure, but he has looked like a solid role player that brings play making ability.
Voracek isn't a role player. He is a scoring line Forward that they're counting on for scoring. He has been okay and has showed some skill. But he needs to assert himself more off the puck and play a stronger all around game.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:44 AM
LePalle

Voracek was our best player against Los Angeles. I'm actually shocked Meltzer thinks he needs to pick his game up after that, I usually agree with Meltzer's opinions but he must not have been watching Voracek closely for that game. He was absolutely the heart of that line and was making plays constantly on both ends of the ice. Not a role player at all as one person said...well technically he's a role player, but it was a pretty big role he played last game He was the best forward on his line as far as backchecking goes by far..

That said, he tries to beat too many people with his stickhandling, but so far it hasn't been an issue since it hasn't been leading to anything for the other team.

I also agree that he has yet to find real chemistry with his linemates, but in no way do I think that is his fault. He's been the best player on that line.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote