HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs @ Montreal: 6-5 Another game not decided by sausage eating

Old
10-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Commander Enigma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
OWL line sounds stupid.
Keep repeating this:

The Owls are not what they seem.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:17 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I prefer the WOLski Tribute Line.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
LOW line.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 103
What about the DOG line? Daniel-O'Reilly-Gabriel. Of course you could do GOD, but that might offend some people.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Actually about the whole 4th line thing...the idea behind it is NOT who is on the 4th line but more 'who deserves to be playing out there'. Scratching Galiardi after scoring once in 4 games and generally playing well in limited minutes is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we're winning but decisions LIKE THESE is what screwed up our season last year. He's doing it again. Hunwick for no reason last year and Kobasew top 6 minutes so far this season. I don't think 1 goal in 5 games played is anything to write home about especially when you look at his ice time compared to the other TOP-9 guys out there. Kobasew's been anywhere from ok to mediocre on Stastny's line but anyone who thinks he's been a steady contributor needs to watch more closely. As a 3rd line guy?? Sure, I got no problem with him there. It's Sacco's insistance on punishing 'some' player unjustly and rewarding others unjustly that has people pissed. Not because Porter is dressed and playing 5 minutes this game. If you've watched this team at minimum since last year, you should know this.
Actually, I agree that Galiardi should be out there, I didn't think that he had done anything to warrant a scratch. He's always been a favorite of mine because he's always skating hard out there and making things happen behind the oppositions net.

I just agree in general with what he said about the 'sky is falling' sentiment this forum, and every other team forum here, get's when one little thing goes wrong. I am 23 years old and work as a cook, I know there is no way I can go out there every night and make everything perfect all the time... it's busy, everything's always moving, changing and I've gotta move faster than I'd normally like to when cooking. Mistakes are bound to happen. And this team, the 2nd youngest team in the NHL, will get pounced on if things aren't going right. If a 18 to 24 year old guy makes a mistake against a vet alot of people around here will throw him under the bus or rag on him, thinking that perfection is the only option around.

Not to say there aren't alot of sane people around who understand that human beings are not machines.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:27 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1greg View Post
What about the DOG line? Daniel-O'Reilly-Gabriel. Of course you could do GOD, but that might offend some people.
Gabriel needs to change is name to Fabriel, then it could be the FORD line.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I think we have 3 scoring lines, 2 stars teetering on superstardom (Stazz and Duchene), and 4 excellent forwards (O'Reilly, Lando, Winnik and Jones).
To me that's not realistic. We have NO forwards teetering on superstardom and 6 excellent forwards. Yes, those 6 include Hejduk (where is he on your list???) and DON'T include Daniel Winnik, who is a 3rd liner.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
To me that's not realistic. We have NO forwards teetering on superstardom and 6 excellent forwards. Yes, those 6 include Hejduk (where is he on your list???) and DON'T include Daniel Winnik, who is a 3rd liner.
Duchene says hi.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Duchene says hi.
The only thing Duchene can steer is himself to the net (with subsequent puck loss)

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Duchene says hi.
Unless duchene ever learns how to shoot accurately, he'll be a fringe all star. He has no hat tricks and JT already has his 3rd.

He just needs to learn how to use his speed. Too many times he'll use his speed at the wrong times and put himself in trouble. But he's still young and has had way too many guys on his line getting injured so hopefully this year he'll get 2 steady wingers who don't get hurt and get something special going.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:54 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
10 things about this game

1. Never thought a guy who would let in 5 goals can still be one of the best players but Varly simply was. The 5 goals I say 2 were stoppable. He still made 38 saves on the night.

2. Our defense lack of speed was exposed last night. We will have more nights like these against fast teams like Montreal. Teams like Edmonton are going to skate around our big d-man.

3. SOB had an awful game.

4. Casper and his line lead the offense. Wouldnt it be nice if we can have all 3 lines rolling at the same time?

5. Feel good about yourself Sacco for playing Porter 5 minutes and him still being the worse playe ron the ice in those 5 minutes? Put Gali back in you tool.

6. Duchene and Hejduk were sick in the shootout but that line was invisible through 65 minutes.

7. Erik Johnson. wow. First off that keep in that lead to the Quincey goal was Bobby Orr esque. His calmness coming out of the defensive zone is rivaled only by Skoula's puck poise.

8. Looks like our anemic offense has woken itself up. Were going to need it agains the undefeated leafs.

9. Quincey has been very good this season. Looks like he fixed his falling down problem that plagued him over the last few years.

10. Its nice to be 4-1 right now but I still want Sacco gone.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1greg View Post
Unless duchene ever learns how to shoot accurately, he'll be a fringe all star. He has no hat tricks and JT already has his 3rd.

He just needs to learn how to use his speed. Too many times he'll use his speed at the wrong times and put himself in trouble. But he's still young and has had way too many guys on his line getting injured so hopefully this year he'll get 2 steady wingers who don't get hurt and get something special going.
Why does that matter? Hopkins has one already, hell Stepan and Brunnstrom each have one, Gaborik had like 6 in one year lol. Duchene was a ppg before the avs collapsed last year. There's no doubt in my mind he'll hit 80+ points this year.

Old
10-16-2011, 06:25 PM
sillycatnip

That game was sloppy, but they looked very tired. Can't expect a team to play at 100% for 4 straight road games/air travel and not feel the effects. Good teams find ways to win those type of games and the AVS have managed to win the ugly ones so far.
  • Varly played solid imo. Sure some of those goals could have been stopped, but he made some fantastic saves early to keep them in the game.
  • The D played OK, but left the backdoor open on those goals. MTL made them pay. Take the puck wide and make a quick pass backside... goal. They did Valry no favors last night.
  • Lindstrom made a sick pass to Hejduk, but I hardly noticed him after. Leave him in the lineup though, I have a feeling he is going to be very streaky.
  • Kobasew was the same way. I hardly noticed him after his goal. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Before the game, the announcers said Porter was working hard in practice so Sacco rewarded him with playing time. Immediately followed by Hunwick deserving playing time, but Sacco didn't want to break up the D pairings to fit him in the lineup. I thought TJ has played well and his presence was missed... Sacco has to be consistent if he is going to play the “hard work” card.

Last edited by sillycatnip: 10-16-2011 at 06:36 PM.
sillycatnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:55 PM
bigdaddydroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
No, you didn't get it straight and please get over draft position.
Huh....i dont know how else i coukd have taken that proposal for changing the lines. And I'll be more than happy to get over draft position. Duchene had the most points on our team last year and will be top two this year. He has a slow start every year. I honestly cant get over how many fans are down on him.

bigdaddydroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Rhaego

Quincey had more points in this game than he did in all of last season.

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddydroc View Post
Huh....i dont know how else i coukd have taken that proposal for changing the lines. And I'll be more than happy to get over draft position. Duchene had the most points on our team last year and will be top two this year. He has a slow start every year. I honestly cant get over how many fans are down on him.
Yeah, plus he scored in both shootouts, sealing the win both times. He's getting the job done, but he would really benefit from having better players on his line.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

I feel like Sacco is taking Galiardi and trying to make him into a player he's not.

I hate how he's handling Galiardi right now, especially since it sounds like Galli put in a ton of effort this off-season.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan16 View Post
I feel like Sacco is taking Galiardi and trying to make him into a player he's not.

I hate how he's handling Galiardi right now, especially since it sounds like Galli put in a ton of effort this off-season.

What you didn't see was between each take TJ ate 16 twinkies.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:07 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Just watched the game (actually missed everything after the two MTL goals in a row in the 3rd, bummer - must remember to add 30 minutes to record time). My thoughts:

1) Varlamov and Price both let in a couple bad ones. That's a wash.
2) Varlamov gave up a lot more rebounds than in the other games
3) The defense looked uncomfortable due to the pressure applied by the speed of the Canadiens
4) Lindstrom has crazy slick hands. He is also a terrible hitter
5) Both SOB penalties were necessary
6) PK Subban really needs to learn not to try to dangle when he is the last man back
7) Lines: If it ain't broke, don't fix it
8) I'm going to say that this is a signature win for the Avs. Yes, it was a little sloppy, and the Habs were dinged up, but here's my reasoning: Every game so far this season (that I've seen, so excluding the opener), someone has stepped up at a critical time. This game was the epitome of that, as there were multiple critical junctures in the game when that happened. It would have been easy to give up on that minute and a half PK and just hope for Varlamov to get a freeze, but even at the end of that minute and a half they were still throwing checks on the boards that led to the eventual clear. It would have been easy to roll over after Montreal scored twice in a row to take the lead at home in one of the most intimidating buildings in the league. It was a win that was gutted out, and I see that as the biggest part of the team's identity so far this season.

Lastly, I think EJ will need to calm the rest of the D down at some points this season. I mentioned earlier that they didn't look entirely comfortable this game and I think Johnson was the stabilizing factor. I'm interested to see what happens if he has a bad game. Will the rest of the defense lose their poise, or will they rally? Either way it shouldn't happen too frequently.

Sorry, one more: you guys are as bad about Sacco as we are with Boudreau. To me it looks like you think the Avs are 4-1 despite their coach. At some point, you have to think he's doing something right.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:05 AM
hockeyGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
We need to keep the OWL line together.
Also known as the hooter line.

hockeyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Sorry, one more: you guys are as bad about Sacco as we are with Boudreau. To me it looks like you think the Avs are 4-1 despite their coach. At some point, you have to think he's doing something right.
This is HF I have yet to meet a fanbase that likes their coach or even think he's doing a good job. I for one don't mind Sacco and think he's doing an adequate job. As for your Boudreau, I honestly believe the caps will never win anything of noteworthy with him behind the bench, the faster he's gone the better for Ovy and co.

Last edited by Duchene2MacKinnon: 10-17-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old
10-17-2011, 10:29 AM
AquaticBirdman

Montreal Pens fan here. Just wanted to congratulate you guys for lighting the Habs up the other night. Any time that organization (and its fanbase) gets fed a slice of "humble pie" it always puts a smile on my face

Also, I was wondering if you guys can give me a bit of an evaluation of Ryan Wilson. Is he someone that will likely be carrying top 4 minutes all season long and could potentially put up around 30 points?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:36 AM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
Also, I was wondering if you guys can give me a bit of an evaluation of Ryan Wilson. Is he someone that will likely be carrying top 4 minutes all season long and could potentially put up around 30 points?
Right now he's a bottom pairing Dman. He probably won't see much PP time, tho I believe many here think he should be on the point or some part of the PP based on his ability to pass, shoot and jr career track record. Even tho he's off to a great start he'll probably end up with 20-ish points while playing 16 - 18 minutes average a night.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:16 AM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddydroc View Post
Huh....i dont know how else i coukd have taken that proposal for changing the lines.
The lines were under the hypothetical of having Landeskog on Stastny's line. I wouldn't put Landeskog on Stastny's line, and I thought my comment about balancing the lineup -- and the stupid emoticon -- would make that sufficiently clear.

Fans should be down on Duchene because he is playing like ****. Of course he is not this terrible, but why should we make excuses for him? He needs get back to normal ASAP...and him at his normal play doesn't mean I favor him at center then either, but that's a different topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Yeah, plus he scored in both shootouts, sealing the win both times. He's getting the job done, but he would really benefit from having better players on his line.
Scoring in the shootout alone is not getting the job done. Duchene cannot play well with most wingers anyway, even though he has received preferential treatment in terms of personnel most of the time.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Scoring in the shootout alone is not getting the job done. Duchene cannot play well with most wingers anyway, even though he has received preferential treatment in terms of personnel most of the time.
I'd be all for putting Duchene on Stastny's wing (Duchene, Stastny, Jones), but then who is the 2nd line C? O'Reilly is the defacto choice, but breaking up that line would be a bad idea right now. Didn't Galiardi play C in minors and the AHL? Galiardi between Lindstrom and Hejduk might be an interesting line.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote