HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Injury Talk: Gill out Saturday/Markov not back before California trip

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2011, 04:17 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
****newsflash*****

This isn't the 50's or 60's, so it doesn't matter what it was like then.

This is the now. The reality is, we didn't get an update or a vague approximation. We got a BS answer that he's on plan but then since then, everyone refuses to answer what is the plan. That isn't an update, that is skirting the issue and not answering.

The reality is, NHL teams are required to report certain things to the media, its part of the NHL rules. So don't claim we are spoiled, we aren't, it is what it is.
I think many of you are missing the point. The reality is, like us, Habs management simply doesn't know when he'll return. They can't tie themselves to a time line, what would happen with this crazy fan base if they did that and Markov misses the time line, not because of anything major, but because of the normal recovery process associated with his type of injury.

I don't think they are attempting to mislead the fan base, I think it's much more likely they simply don't know. They remain optimistic until there is something to change their mind. If Markov has a setback that won't see in action until after christmas, they will let us know, it's a wait and see game at this moment, not even the Dr's or habs management can give an absolute time of return, not because they don't want to, but because they can't, don't know themselves ect.

I think it would do the habs fan base a disservice to lay down a time line and then Markov miss that time line, imagine the back lash that would occur, they are handling the situation exactly as they should, cautiously optimistic.

Old
10-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I think many of you are missing the point. The reality is, like us, Habs management simply doesn't know when he'll return. They can't tie themselves to a time line, what would happen with this crazy fan base if they did that and Markov misses the time line, not because of anything major, but because of the normal recovery process associated with his type of injury.

I don't think they are attempting to mislead the fan base, I think it's much more likely they simply don't know. They remain optimistic until there is something to change their mind. If Markov has a setback that won't see in action until after christmas, they will let us know, it's a wait and see game at this moment, not even the Dr's or habs management can give an absolute time of return, not because they don't want to, but because they can't, don't know themselves ect.

I think it would do the habs fan base a disservice to lay down a time line and then Markov miss that time line, imagine the back lash that would occur, they are handling the situation exactly as they should, cautiously optimistic.
You're probably 100% right. I don't believe there's any dark conspiracy in any of this. But I'm pretty sure these guys aren't all-knowing, either. The decisions about what to say and what NOT to say to the fans are often done with a shrug and a guess. I mean, these are smart guys, but dealing with the drooling masses of Habs fans is an impossible situation to control, and they've made plenty of outright goofs along the way. Not blaming them for this, just pointing out that when you're disseminating information to millions of people, it's usually better to err on the side of too much information. Repeating what I said earlier -- when it comes to news, if the management doesn't fill in the blanks, the fans will do it themselves... which can get nasty.

Old
10-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Your clients would go to another business... what will you do, move to Nashville and start watching the Preds ?

seriously...
I like this answer 'cause it's funny. But I don't think following a sports team is on the same scale of necessity as, say, needing a plumber. If my interest in the Habs diminishes, it's not like I have to quickly switch to some other team to keep my basement from flooding.

Perfect example: I used to see a ton of movies, about 40 to 50 of 'em per year. I wrote reviews and administrated a film website. A couple of years ago, my wife suddenly became a hockey fan (after being together with me for 16 years and having grown up with a hockey fan for a brother -- go figure). Suddenly, Saturday nights went from dinner-and-a-movie to pub food and hockey game. I went from going to two or three games at the Bell Centre to currently going to 10 games, plus another couple in other cities. In other words, money and time I used to spend on film, I now spend on hockey. Now, I'm too old of a fan to ever stop watching the Habs, but disappoint my wife long enough and I can easily see the thousands of dollars I'm currently spending on tickets being re-routed to another leisure activity.

Old
10-17-2011, 09:44 AM
HomaridII

habsinsideout1 Dave Stubbs
#Habs Cammalleri is practising

Old
10-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
habsinsideout1 Dave Stubbs
#Habs Cammalleri is practising
Whoo-hoo great news. Heard it yesterday on RDS...

Old
10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
we got info on thursday, from JM himself.

He was on Sportsnet's Hockey Central and he said that Markov was in Florida to see his doctors, he was cleared to resume skating and he was expected to practice before the end of the month.

The fact is, if the team had an exact date, they'd give it to us...

But guess what? They don't have an exact date. The situation changes daily. How Markov's knee responds, how sore it is, how much swelling we see, etc... in the hours and day that follows any vigorous workout has an effect.

This is a fluid situation, and at the same time the team risks over exposure if they do a press release every time every player feels a twinge of pain, or gets a therapy massage.
My bad, I didn't realize he was on Hockey Central and gave that update, I missed it, sorry I was misinformed.

Continue on. I agree with you now.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
My bad, I didn't realize he was on Hockey Central and gave that update, I missed it, sorry I was misinformed.

Continue on. I agree with you now.
After the mockery of an honest injury report that led up to this I really can't say I blame you either way

Old
10-17-2011, 11:21 AM
habitue*

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/328378.html

The lines and D-combos at the practice today.

I like it a lot. Especially the D-pairs.

Gorges gonna help Subban a lot.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:27 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I like this answer 'cause it's funny. But I don't think following a sports team is on the same scale of necessity as, say, needing a plumber. If my interest in the Habs diminishes, it's not like I have to quickly switch to some other team to keep my basement from flooding.

Perfect example: I used to see a ton of movies, about 40 to 50 of 'em per year. I wrote reviews and administrated a film website. A couple of years ago, my wife suddenly became a hockey fan (after being together with me for 16 years and having grown up with a hockey fan for a brother -- go figure). Suddenly, Saturday nights went from dinner-and-a-movie to pub food and hockey game. I went from going to two or three games at the Bell Centre to currently going to 10 games, plus another couple in other cities. In other words, money and time I used to spend on film, I now spend on hockey. Now, I'm too old of a fan to ever stop watching the Habs, but disappoint my wife long enough and I can easily see the thousands of dollars I'm currently spending on tickets being re-routed to another leisure activity.
haha! maybe you should tell your wife you're going to stop buying tickets cause you didnt have "rehab news" of Markov often enough to your liking...

Old
10-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/328378.html

The lines and D-combos at the practice today.

I like it a lot. Especially the D-pairs.

Gorges gonna help Subban a lot.
That makes the 1st pair strong but I'd worry about the 2nd without Gorges to stabilize it.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:38 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
That makes the 1st pair strong but I'd worry about the 2nd without Gorges to stabilize it.
same here, but on the other hand we're kinda stuck with a rookie (or 2) on each pair, so it's kinda tough to find 3 solid duos. Although I'm pleasantly surprised with the Weber/Emelin pair, they're doing great considering they have a grand total of 56 games of exp combined.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
You can only do so much with that defense.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
You can only do so much with that defense.
We need to have at least one good pair. And if Subban is going to log 24-25 minutes a game, he needs a partner that can handle those kind of minutes as well.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:59 AM
neofury*

Brilliant idea as most the other D are in learning mode right now anyways and thus will hold back any partner they have in some cases.

At least now it's kind of like throwing them to the wolves and hoping they succeed. I'm willing to see how this lineup works for a couple games honestly.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
We need to have at least one good pair. And if Subban is going to log 24-25 minutes a game, he needs a partner that can handle those kind of minutes as well.
Yeah I agree. I was referring to the effect of doing that on the other pairings. It's going to weaken the other pairings but there isn't much choice. Mind you the way PK's been playing Gill might do better with Diaz.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yeah I agree. I was referring to the effect of doing that on the other pairings. It's going to weaken the other pairings but there isn't much choice. Mind you the way PK's been playing Gill might do better with Diaz.
Subban's in a tough spot this year because he's being called on to be our best offensive d-man as well as defensive. I think that he'll be allowed to play a bit more like himself with Gorges alongside him. As far as the other D pairings are concerned, we're really in "cross our fingers" mode. It's not that that Diaz, Emelin, and Weber aren't good--its just that they're so inexperienced. It will really be up to Price to hold down the fort the first month or 2. If he's not we're going to be in trouble i think, but i'm confident he can be a difference maker.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Subban's in a tough spot this year because he's being called on to be our best offensive d-man as well as defensive. I think that he'll be allowed to play a bit more like himself with Gorges alongside him. As far as the other D pairings are concerned, we're really in "cross our fingers" mode. It's not that that Diaz, Emelin, and Weber aren't good--its just that they're so inexperienced. It will really be up to Price to hold down the fort the first month or 2. If he's not we're going to be in trouble i think, but i'm confident he can be a difference maker.
Right now its also that Emelin Diaz and Weber are adequate for the third pairing but not for the second. Spacek and Campoli going down left a big hole in the middle of the rotation. If/When Markov is back that won't be an issue as he can easily hold down a second pairing by himself once up to speed but for the next 5-7 games they'll have to make do.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Yup. They're being thrown in to huge roles real quick (Weber, Diaz, Emelin). PK has to turn it around in a hurry. Stop trying to do everything himself or do too much and use his teammates.

As for Price he looked bad Saturday but that's going to happen when the D in front of you gives the other team's shooters so many looks. The first goal shouldn't even have happened. Emelin had 3 Habs open on the right side all he had to do was slide the puck that way. Instead he softly backhands it cross-grain right to an Avs player and next thing you know pucks in our net. Obviously the Subban giveaway is another goal that shouldn't happen. Guys are walking in our zone not getting hit and can take the center of the ice as they please right now.

Price is going to have to be huge agreed, but he's exposed now. Other teams know it and are running him and the center lanes are wide open. Way too many good looks and way too many shots are getting through from good scoring areas.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Beakermania*

These are the same defensive pairs that played together most of the game on Saturday. Subban and Gorges were already together for the 5 on 5 time. It was only on special teams where things were really different.

As for Subban, he was much, much better on Saturday than he was against Calgary.

Against Calgary he was making a blunder every other shift.

Against Colorado he made one mistake (it was a huge mistake no doubt about it) but his overall game for the rest of his time on the ice was fine.

Now its a matter of correcting that one mistake, instead of the Calgary game which was a lot of mistakes.

Old
10-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Gil128

Ryan White

I may be out to lunch(it wouldn't be the firsst time) but why has there been such little talk about the absence of White(either here or on RDS)he could add that toughness that could help on the 3rd or 4th line, he creates energy, something that is sorely lacked from the games I have seen on RDS, looks like he may be out long term, what is the actual injury

Old
10-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Beakermania*

He had surgery for a sports hernia last week

Old
10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
He just had surgery for a sports hernia. Out for a while.

Old
10-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil128 View Post
I may be out to lunch(it wouldn't be the firsst time) but why has there been such little talk about the absence of White(either here or on RDS)he could add that toughness that could help on the 3rd or 4th line, he creates energy, something that is sorely lacked from the games I have seen on RDS, looks like he may be out long term, what is the actual injury
Despite how nice a player he his, his impact is marginal at this point and absence really doesn't affect the team much. So his injury gets less attention especially when there are a bunch of more important players out.

Old
10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Nothing adds up right now because we're not given any data to add.

All this speculation/rumour mongering/predictions of doom is the result of the admin's hush-hush attitude towards Markov's health. When you say nothing and keep his condition secret, when you dismiss questions on his return to a simplistic, "He's making progress", then don't be surprised that people will assume the worst. And yes, the team DOES owe it to us, the fans, to feed us updates. It's not like we're voyeurs into someone's personal drama; this is a business that lives and dies on its entertainment value to us. We create the revenue that ultimately pays Markov's salary -- kindly have the respect to give us good news and bad news on a key reason I paid good money for tickets.
Agree with the above.

Many Hab fans are just plain fed up of all the waiting (example: me).

Hab fans pay lots of $$$$ for tickets, cable tv, Centre Bell rip-off prices for beer and Hab jerseys = Habs, Hab owners'salary, players' salary.

Yet there are still some that think Hab fans should shut-up and just provide the $$$$ for the Habs.

1950s-1960s: the players barely made any money back then compared to $5,75mil/year Markov (who has not helped our Habs in 3 years). How much were the Habs worth in the 50s-60s?

The fans do have a right to know and not be jerked around.

Markov has divided Hab fans and caused so many arguments among all of us, meanwhile...Markov is still not ****ing playing and collecting $5,75mil/year.

It's been 3 years now that we don't talk about how he's helping our team.
All the talk is about his injuries and setbacks and doctor visits...****ing boring and depressing.

Many Hab fans are arguing over this instead of being happy that he's playing and helping our Habs.
I'd rather talk about how he's helping our Habs, but when?! (how much patience can a Hab fan have!).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-17-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old
10-17-2011, 07:21 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

lol. Guy only misses two games.

Closed Thread