HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gunnarsson to NYR?

Old
10-16-2011, 08:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
wow. really? I realize this may be your first season watching a professional hockey team, but overreact much?
Typical.

"I was probably playing, coaching, and reffing hockey while you were still ******** your diapers."

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 10-16-2011 at 08:20 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Typical.

I was probably playing, coaching, and reffing hockey while you were still ******** your diapers.
One of the best lines I've ever read on here

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:12 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
Oh no I didn't mean both of them
Even so it's neither regardless.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Lol, I just don't subscribe to the knee jerk "you don't know nothing" when folks disagree.

So, I posted something ridiculous to parody it.

Old
10-16-2011, 08:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Point is, two of our top four defensemen are injured.

Our offense hasn't produced as we hoped, thus far, and it is also a result of awful discipline. Can't score or get going 5v5 when any "momentum" is killed via penalty.

Having Bell, Eminger, and Woywitka in the lineup has to be one of the worst defense corps we have had in a long time.

We need to address the situation.

Going to Vancouver, and a long road trip again, could end with us well behind in the standings.

Also, we are NOT trading Kreider, so that notion has to be let go of.

Old
10-16-2011, 09:39 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Typical.

"I was probably playing, coaching, and reffing hockey while you were still ******** your diapers."
please spare me your resume. Staal or no Staal, playing great or not, last night was a typical NYR/NYI slopfest. The 2 games could have easily went our way.

i shouldn't be surprised the slop that people post here after 3 frickin games.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Sending either player for Gunnarsson or Franson would be a mistake.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:11 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sending either player for Gunnarsson or Franson would be a mistake.
Thomas? Disagree, he's a solid prospect, but both of those D are solid NHLers, and the team is in need of a defenseman. Given the depth at RW, Thomas could be moved in a deal like this.

Kreider, agree.

10-16-2011, 10:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Thomas? Disagree, he's a solid prospect, but both of those D are solid NHLers, and the team is in need of a defenseman. Given the depth at RW, Thomas could be moved in a deal like this.

Kreider, agree.
I wouldn't move Thomas for either of those players. He is not the type of player the Rangers should be looking to move. Bourque? Maybe. Yogan? Maybe. Thomas? No.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

Kreider, agree.
I'd consider Thomas for Franson but I'd really hate to see Thomas on the leafs in a few years. They could be very good and having Thomas sniping us would be very troublesome. I'd rather look elsewhere if we can't get gunnarsson or franson for cheap. There are other options out there. I don't know what they are, but they're out there

On a related note, souray is looking good in Dallas, and staios actually played pretty well for the isles last night. We need a steal like those. Where's this years reclamation project Glen? I really hope Sam Wittwikki isn't it.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:36 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
i meant neither of them should or would be traded for Gunnarsson or Franson. No need to give away one of arguably your two best forward prospects; not just now but in a long time. Not for either defender mentioned who are average imo. You can find something on the market for cheaper that will do a serviceable job. Give it some time.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Kreider, agree.
In need of defensemen right now. When Staal and Sauer are healthy, Franson or Gunnarsson are now bottom pairing d-men playing 12 minutes a night, and are taking a spot from Del Zotto or Erixon.

Trading Thomas, who is obviously another victim of the "what have you done lately?" mentality, for a bottom pairing d-man is just a panic move at this point.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
In need of defensemen right now. When Staal and Sauer are healthy, Franson or Gunnarsson are now bottom pairing d-men playing 12 minutes a night, and are taking a spot from Del Zotto or Erixon.

Trading Thomas, who is obviously another victim of the "what have you done lately?" mentality, for a bottom pairing d-man is just a panic move at this point.
yeah i'm not moving a key prospect like thomas for a depth/filler dman until staal and sauer get back...now if we are talking about a top pair guy or legit top 4 guy that will make us better even when everyone is healthy thats different.

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:

Thank God someone is speaking some sense here.

IF a trade like that is made (where we lose Thomas or god forbid Kreider) it means that Staal may be done for his career.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I think we can assume that any trade coming would be for a player much better than a Woywitka. That means a solid top four defenseman. And that means a lot of the prospect pool is in play. Gunnarson and Franson are just not that much better than what we have now. Kind of early in the sesason to see these types of players moved unless there is massive overpayment.

Last edited by bobbop: 10-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.
bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:43 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Thank God someone is speaking some sense here.

IF a trade like that is made (where we lose Thomas or god forbid Kreider) it means that Staal may be done for his career.
Ironically, no sense was made in this post either.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Ironically, no sense was made in this post either.
Why is that?

If Sather is trading one of his "blue-chip" prospects for a Dman don't you think that speaks volumes as to the status of Staal and his injury?

I can read between the lines.

Now if one of those guys was sent packing for scoring help it's a different story, obviously.

But I think NYR feel with Staal this defense is set for the most part (a vet Dman maybe but they're not trading Krieder for him)... inlcuding the injection that McIlrath will hopefully give in a yr or two.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
Why is that?

If Sather is trading one of his "blue-chip" prospects for a Dman don't you think that speaks volumes as to the status of Staal and his injury?

I can read between the lines.

Now if one of those guys was sent packing for scoring help it's a different story, obviously.

But I think NYR feel with Staal this defense is set for the most part (a vet Dman maybe but they're not trading Krieder for him)... inlcuding the injection that McIlrath will hopefully give in a yr or two.
or you could simply read into it as he had a chance to get a top pair dman for a prospect that will make our blueline REALLY good when staal and sauer return

Old
10-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I think we can assume that any trade coming would be for a player much better than a Woywitka. That means a solid top four defenseman. And that means a lot of the prospect pool is in play. Gunnarson and Franson are just not that much better than what we have now. Kind of early in the sesason to see these types of players moved unless there is massive overpayment.
Exactly. I'm all for upgrading, but I'll ice Staal - Giardi and McDonagh - Sauer ahead of Gunnarsson or Franson every day of the week. I think Franson has the ability to be a good 2nd pairing guy who can be very effective on the PP, but if we're danging pieces like Thomas, I want a proven commodity with room for growth.

I think we'll see a move like that happen, but I'm not sure it will be this early in the year. In fact, I'm not sure I see it happening this year at all. There are still too many question marks around the younger players.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
or you could simply read into it as he had a chance to get a top pair dman for a prospect that will make our blueline REALLY good when staal and sauer return

Again, & maybe I'm wrong... I'm not a jackass poster who thinks he knows everything... but this team has been lacking offense for years now. I can't see Sather trading Kreider for defensive help UNLESS Staal is in way worse shape than we think.

Thomas? Maybe but I think they're too high on Kreider to do that.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:04 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Again, & maybe I'm wrong... I'm not a jackass poster who thinks he knows everything... but this team has been lacking offense for years now. I can't see Sather trading Kreider for defensive help UNLESS Staal is in way worse shape than we think.

We also lack another Impact D-man who can provide offense, as well as play tough minutes and provide veteran leadership.

CM Punk had it right. If the difference in a deal for a guy like that is Kreider then he'd be traded. Doesn't neccesarily depend on Staals health.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Only way I see Sather moving Thomas, or godforbid Kreider, is if Staal is out for an extended period of time. If Suter became available in that situation, I'd pull the trigger.

Helps this team now and for seasons to come if they can lock him up. Ofcoarse it'd cost Thomas++ to get Suter.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Leetch3

Quote:

it depends on who we are trading for...if we panic and give up thomas or kreider for gunnarsson then i'm worried. but if we traded them for shea weber than i'd look at it as jumping at a chance to get a guy like weber with nothing to do with staal.

so yeah it could be viewed as a bad sign but it doesn't have to be a bad sign.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:42 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

This thread, like the Ballard one, is full of the typical early-season overreacting that this board has developed a fondness for over the years of futility. It's 3 games into the season, 2 were on another continent, and the third was after a week off from playing. Let's let them get out on a regular road trip and see how they do. They'll have to face a wide disparity in quality over this Western swing, so if they can get 2-3 wins out of the trip, you know things are looking up.

I don't want to see any prospect of Thomas' ilk traded for a minor upgrade defensively. Either you make a trade for a serious upgrade, or you bide your time, let your assets continue developing, and wait for the right time to make a deal. That might be in a month, it might be in 5 months, or it might be a year from now. The Rangers are in the position to make a couple of major upgrade moves, not throw some **** against the wall and see what sticks. That's what training camp is for.

I'd like to wait till Valentenko is healthy and he gets a shot, too. If he's still in Hartford, it means he is under the impression he will still get his chance.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
OverTheCap

When you analyze what other teams have done when one of their impact players are out long term due to injury, they usually don't trade away one of their top prospects to find a replacement. It seems like Markov has been perpetually injured for years, but Montreal has managed to hold on to their prospects. And, in almost every case, the Webers and the Suters of the league are not available via trade anyway.

The assumption is that the injured player is going to return sometime along the road, and you want to be able to field a complete team when that happens. Right now, they don't need someone of Staal's caliber to replace him, and if they tried to trade for a defenseman like that, it would gut the team anyway. They just need a top 4 defenseman that eats minutes and will help take the load off Girardi who is logging about 30 minutes a game.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote