HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#4|Oct 15, 2011|Kings at Flyers|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
10-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Totally Radivojevic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
these last two games have been out of control with the amount of penalties being called. it's impossible to establish a rhythm when the game is played entirely by special teams.
It's been ridiculous. Ruined the last two games.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:26 PM
mirimon

I'm late to the party. I fell asleep Saturday night, and then work and travel and a few other things have kept me from watching this game until now. Just finished it.

My two cents from the game

Huge hit by Rinaldo. Doughty is a great hockey player, so it's a shame that he's injured, but that hit was massive. If he has to be injured, due to some greater scheme by an all-knowing deity or other, I don't mind it happening against us after such short a time. I can be a bit selfish like that at times.

Happy to see Brière score, would be nice if he could get going properly. That line looked better overall I thought.

Richards had a pretty decent hit on Voracek, and set up the winning goal. He was also dominant in the faceoff circle. Would be a bit typical if he finally started getting really good in there after he's left us. Overall however, we were decent in the faceoff circle.

It would be nice to see some more 5v5 time, especially since we were clearly the better team during that play, not all of that is on the refs though. We need to smarten up and stop taking so many unnecessary penalties.

Carle didn't have the best of games imo (but what do I know, he got the first star of the game, I believe), but he kind of made up for it with the goal I suppose. Hope we don't have to wait another 57 games for the next one... First star should have been Quick without a doubt, imo. Great play by JvR on Carle's goal though.

Mitchell had a strong game for their side as well, he stepped up for them when Doughty couldn't finish the game. Pronger was our best player imo.

Couturier continues to impress though. It is still very early of course, but he looks like a keeper for sure.

7 out of 8 points after facing Bos, NJ, Van and LA is a pretty ok result I'd say. Now, let's crush Ottawa. Also, I wouldn't mind it if we gave Bobrovsky that game.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I was at the game and he got a standing ovation. did gagne or williams get one? No.
and that's because they werent captains of the Flyers. Gags deserves more respect from us as far as im concerned because he played here longer and was a part of more than just one or 2 playoffs runs. He was a part of 4 actually. Richards was a flash in the pan. We didnt get anywhere with him until we got a real leader like Pronger. That's why i dont care. He's a decent player but get over him. He's a little overrated. Unless your Piere mcguire. Are you? Pierre?
Flash in the pan is pretty harsh. And incorrect. The fact of the matter is over the past few years he's been pretty consistent.

People obviously underrate the effect that a failed Finals appearance has on a team the next season. There's a reason why 2 teams in 30 years made it back to the Finals after losing there. Many of those teams crash and burn the next season, the Flyers with Richards as captain did well for themselves to get back to where they were, as he was blocking shots in the third period of a game where the Flyers season is about to end and brooms waving in his face.

Flat out: for some reason too many people eat up everything the media has to say about Richards, considering how widely panned our local media is here by the very same people.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:06 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Richards was a flash in the pan. We didnt get anywhere with him until we got a real leader like Pronger. That's why i dont care. He's a decent player but get over him. He's a little overrated. Unless your Piere mcguire. Are you? Pierre?
Richards was a flash in the pan? he was one of the best all around forwards this organization has had the last half dozen years. We got to the Conf. Final before Pronger got here. When we went to the Cup Final it more to do with the team effort then Pronger's "leadership" He was obviously a big part of that, but lets not make it out to be more then it is.
overrated? hardly.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-17-2011 at 09:59 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:23 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I can see I don't really have to defend Richie here, but flash in the pan is a joke. Schenn and Simmonds are nice, but I will still miss Mike. LA has a great player in him.

10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Richards was a flash in the pan? he was one of the best all around forwards this organization has had the last half dozen years. We got to the Conf. Final before Pronger got here. When we went to the Cup Final it more to do with the team effort then Pronger's "leadership" He was obviously a big part of that, but lets not make it out to be more then it is.
overrated? hardly.
I wouldn't call him a flash in the pan but he is very overrated by a large amount of Flyers fans, especially on this board.

FlyersFanSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanSinceBirth View Post
I wouldn't call him a flash in the pan but he is very overrated by a large amount of Flyers fans, especially on this board.
everyone is overrated.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:30 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
everyone is overrated.
Everyone is overrated by some people but Richards takes the cake around here. You know...after Stevens bakes it.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Everyone is overrated by some people but Richards takes the cake around here. You know...after Stevens bakes it.
Only last year was I not happy with him for various reasons..some cited in Seravalli's article today which I created a thread on but got banished to the generic NHL and misc thread.

Here is a snippet.

Quote:
We also learned just how miserable last season was for Richards. His tension with Peter Laviolette was very real, so were the rumored factions in the Flyers' locker room. Given three chances to endorse him at a practice last week, Laviolette would say little more than that he wasn't here for much of Richards' tenure.

"You can focus in putting the energy on the ice, instead of wasting a lot of it off," Richards said about his time in LA so far last Friday. "It's fun coming to the rink again. You don't have to worry about anything. It's not little groups anymore, it's just one big group."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1b3TnDfi2

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:46 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Only last year was I not happy with him for various reasons..some cited in Seravalli's article today which I created a thread on but got banished to the generic NHL and misc thread.

Here is a snippet.
Last year is pretty much when I got sick of him too. The year before last he was noticably not the same as before but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I figured he was just having a down year. Then he "flipped the switch" in the playoffs and flipped it back off for the Finals. But how does he not get that the big division in the locker room is partly his fault and a big part of his responsibilities as a captain to fix it? As always, he's the victim and everyone's so unfair to him. Classic Mike Richards.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Richards was playing with a wrist that required surgery for pretty much the whole season.
But wait, injuries dont matter. my bad.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Last year is pretty much when I got sick of him too. The year before last he was noticably not the same as before but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I figured he was just having a down year. Then he "flipped the switch" in the playoffs and flipped it back off for the Finals. But how does he not get that the big division in the locker room is partly his fault and a big part of his responsibilities as a captain to fix it? As always, he's the victim and everyone's so unfair to him. Classic Mike Richards.
From a leadership standpoint off ice mostly until the playoffs yeah it's true..the year before last year he had some issues too. They were glossed over b/c of how everybody finally bought into Lavy and were all on the same page. However, if they hadn't made the playoffs which they nearly did not then who knows what would have happened. Snider pretty much admitted that the cup run hid things a bit but then they festered again. He def looked like the weight of the world was on him last year especially in the 2nd half when things went sour and he needed to step up a little more since Pronger wasn't around. Sadly, daddy Holmgren had to come into the locker room a bunch of times and dress everybody down. That right there is never good and it's happened in season's past so it wasn't just a one off deal.

Too me what stuck out last year that told me Richards wasn't happy with Lavy was when he called him out in the press no less (the same press that is so unfair to him) about how he conducted the power play. Leino also made some comments to the press. Although he may have had a point you don't undermine your coach like that especially in a hypocritical way. I mean you can't have Steven's cake and eat it too with the press like that.

Anyway..by his own words it's becoming clearer and clearer he got traded for much deeper issues than hockey. Also I don't think he would have been happy if they traded Carter which was more a hockey move. Having a disgruntled player like that who is your captain is just not going to bode well going forward. He definitely bears responsibility for the fallout but guy has pride and when young sometimes that can be foolish pride. I sort of don't blame him but he'll need to harness that "hurt" in a more positive way and in the game against the Flyers he did so...he played like his old self IMO. I wish he didn't sour on us or we on him but it happens....

Old
10-17-2011, 01:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Richards was playing with a wrist that required surgery for pretty much the whole season.
There is that red herring argument....way overblown. Sure it was a factor but not the primary factor. He was not happy and his own words show it. Things ran much deeper than his wrist but I know it makes people feel better to think he didn't play up to his usual standards solely b/c of his wrist...

Old
10-17-2011, 01:11 PM
DumpyD

Couldn't have been happier with how that game turned out.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:16 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
he'll need to harness that "hurt" in a more positive way and in the game against the Flyers he did so...he played like his old self IMO.
If he played like that all the time, like he used to, he would still be my favorite player and he'd still be a Flyer. Nothing pisses me off more that watching the Flyers play and seeing certain players that don't seem to care half as much as we, the fans, do. When you are getting paid millions of dollars to play the game that you "love" you need to quit the sulking and go do what you get paid to do and don't whine about it. That's also why I never liked Carter. He has the potential to score 50 goals, but he only has the drive and the heart to put up around 40 or so.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Just another excuse. This place is full of excuses for him. If he's such a great captain and leader then he should have went to Lavy or Homer or whoever he was on speaking terms with and told them his wrist was shot and he would be able to help the team more by healing his wrist and coming back when he was able to contribute. Nobody put a gun to his head and made him play through such a so called season ruining injury. The guy just flat out quit on his teammates, his coach, the organization and the fans.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
If he played like that all the time, like he used to, he would still be my favorite player and he'd still be a Flyer. Nothing pisses me off more that watching the Flyers play and seeing certain players that don't seem to care half as much as we, the fans, do. When you are getting paid millions of dollars to play the game that you "love" you need to quit the sulking and go do what you get paid to do and don't whine about it. That's also why I never liked Carter. He has the potential to score 50 goals, but he only has the drive and the heart to put up around 40 or so.
I hear ya..this is why I was mostly disappointed in him. Never hated him...always defended him until last year and even then I focused more on his leadership off the ice which I wasn't thrilled about. Then when he disappeared after the Boston debacle I thought that was really crappy of him and I don't care if he had issues with the press. That is just a cop out and he needed to represent the team better....you do so in good and bad especially when the fans are left dumbfounded at the epic fail we witnessed against Boston. I think Snider had enough when that happened..that's why he made the comment about him thinking the team wasn't "growing." Richards himself needed to grow up and he didn't help himself with that silly teenager tweet war he had with Panaccio. Meltzer even said he didn't think Flyers management was happy about how Richards dealt with that situation.

Carter is going to have a more trying time in Columbus..I suspect before too long he'll want to leave. He really got banished out of the two but that's only because Columbus was willing to give up so much for him..then again it only seems like a lot b/c Couts dropped in our laps thankfully.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Just another excuse. This place is full of excuses for him. If he's such a great captain and leader then he should have went to Lavy or Homer or whoever he was on speaking terms with and told them his wrist was shot and he would be able to help the team more by healing his wrist and coming back when he was able to contribute. Nobody put a gun to his head and made him play through such a so called season ruining injury. The guy just flat out quit on his teammates, his coach, the organization and the fans.
what happens when he does that? if people find out he could of played thru it what would of been said by people like you? you would of called him a ***** and a terrible leader. you would of said he should of put off the surgery and played thru it.
As far as the media goes, everyone knows the media with the exception of Meltzer are a bunch of ****ing clowns. So you believe whatever the media tells you. keep drinking that kool-aide.
As far as him quitting on his teammates that comment is just flatout wrong.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
You're overrated.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
People are mad at Richards for the same reasons everyone else's fans didn't like him. He's with the Kings now, and his focus is 100% on the Kings, he never cared about what anyone thought of him going back to juniors. And now people can't handle that. Richards doesn't care about the team, people, organization, yet he signed a 12-year contract because it's always apparently about himself.

By the way, what professional athlete doesn't play through injuries if they feel they can do it? Especially in hockey. No one voluntarily takes a seat. Ever.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
One thing that Darren Daulton once said about playing hurt and playing injured I thought kind of speaks to what you are saying...you can play hurt and still help your team. I remember players like Kerr and Poulin playing with much worse injuries and still battling through and contributing. However, if you are injured and feel you can't help your team, don't want to help your team or whatever..it may be best to sit out in favor of somebody who is at 100% and you shouldn't have to worry about the press in that situation and what they say (he's dogging it etc). Then again that is a catch 22 situation and with a team like ours that had pretty much nobody on the farm system to call up it kind of makes it a moot point. Then again the coach bears responsibility too in assessing if a player should be playing or not..not to mention management. So there is a lot of responsibility to go around and it can't all be placed on Richards.

Look so much precedence with this team and so many sour situations that it was just unhealthy to have Richards around anymore. He wasn't happy and the Flyers weren't happy hence the break up. Now Richards is happier...he has a house on the beach...chasin LA *****ez and he can fly under the radar on a good team. He'll be fine and so will the Flyers. Love Simmonds and Schenn looks like he'll be a good return as well and then we have the pick unless Holmgren packages it to give us cap relief

Old
10-17-2011, 01:33 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
what happens when he does that? if people find out he could of played thru it what would of been said by people like you? you would of called him a ***** and a terrible leader. you would of said he should of put off the surgery and played thru it.
As far as the media goes, everyone knows the media with the exception of Meltzer are a bunch of ****ing clowns. So you believe whatever the media tells you. keep drinking that kool-aide.
As far as him quitting on his teammates that comment is just flatout wrong.
As far as me drinking the media's kool-aid, I live in Virginia, I know absolutely nothing about the Philadelphia media. I also don't care to know about the Philly media. Nothing I have said has been related to the media at all. The only hockey media I see around here is the NHL network and whatever that idiot Pierre Mcguire has to say. So if I listened to the media then I would think Richards was a god. And no, I wouldn't have talked trash about Richards for having the surgery. I believe you should play through an injury if you can as long as it's what's best for the team. How is saying he quit on his teammates so wrong?

Old
10-17-2011, 01:38 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

It seems as though the media got Richards traded..more red herring simpleton talk ..

Old
10-17-2011, 01:38 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
He quit so much that his last shift as a Flyer was diving to block a shot at the end of a game where his team was losing 4-1.

The organization knew about his wrist. How do you know they didn't ask him to put off the surgery until after the season?

And exactly how did he quit on the fans?

Since he's been traded, he's spoken very highly of organization, his teammates and the fans. Far better than I would have, in his position.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:39 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
You're overrated.
Okay, good talk. Glad you could add such an intelligent point of view to the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
People are mad at Richards for the same reasons everyone else's fans didn't like him. He's with the Kings now, and his focus is 100% on the Kings, he never cared about what anyone thought of him going back to juniors. And now people can't handle that. Richards doesn't care about the team, people, organization, yet he signed a 12-year contract because it's always apparently about himself.

By the way, what professional athlete doesn't play through injuries if they feel they can do it? Especially in hockey. No one voluntarily takes a seat. Ever.
I never said it's always been about just him. Richards last year and Richards when he signed that 12 year contract are 2 very different players. And byt the way, I like the Kings. I enjoy watching them play. I like the players they have there and the overall make up of the team. So no, him benig a King has nothing to do with me not liking him.