HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#4|Oct 15, 2011|Kings at Flyers|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
10-17-2011, 01:42 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
He quit so much that his last shift as a Flyer was diving to block a shot at the end of a game where his team was losing 4-1.

The organization knew about his wrist. How do you know they didn't ask him to put off the surgery until after the season?

And exactly how did he quit on the fans?

Since he's been traded, he's spoken very highly of organization, his teammates and the fans. Far better than I would have, in his position.
Good for him. He did absolutely nothing noteworthy in that boston series other than dive to block a shot on his last shift. And even then he just laid there after he did it. Not the point though. As far as the way he talks about the fans, team and organization.... talk is cheap. If he really felt that way he would have acted like he cared instead of just saying he cared.

FlyersFanSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I can't wait for Jeff Carter to come back. People will say he didn't care and quit on the city even though he literally locked himself in his house for a week because he bring himself to speak to anyone.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:49 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I can't wait for Jeff Carter to come back. People will say he didn't care and quit on the city even though he literally locked himself in his house for a week because he bring himself to speak to anyone.
Carter didn't quit on anyone. You have to start trying before you can quit trying.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanSinceBirth View Post
Carter didn't quit on anyone. You have to start trying before you can quit trying.
More people didn't like Carter than didn't like Richards.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well that reaction could be interpreted in many ways...I'm sure he cared about being here especially considering where was going but this is kind of a red herring argument b/c I haven't seen the Seravalli article or any other media article yet saying Carter "Didn't care." This is like trying to argue with a girlfriend about a hypothetical that may or may not happen. It's pretty futile and amounts to a sting operation where you are set up by the authorities...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:52 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
If he really felt that way he would have acted like he cared instead of just saying he cared.
Exactly how should he have done that?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
So both Richards and Carter were traded b/c the media didn't like them and the some fans "hated" one or the other? I mean seriously Holmgren and management have their issues but they aren't that effin stupid which apparently is the other argument made by some as to why both were traded....

Old
10-17-2011, 01:56 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
And I'm one of them. I never liked Carter. I liked what he brought to the team the year he scored 46 goals. Aside from that I never liked him. He is the only Flyer I have ever truly disliked. Richards WAS my favorite player. But that changed. Not because of the way the Philly media, which I never see or hear ore read, portrayed him. But because of his attitude and the way he portrayed himself. I have been to Philadelphia one time in my life. While I was there I was lucky enough to meet my favorite player, unfortunately my favorite player at the time was Mike Richards. Despite everything I say about him I do hope he goes back to the old Richie that was my favorite player.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:58 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Despite everything I say about him I do hope he goes back to the old Richie that was my favorite player.
At which time, you'll ***** and moan that the Flyers trade away all their good players, who go on to great success elsewhere.

Quote:
While I was there I was lucky enough to meet my favorite player, unfortunately my favorite player at the time was Mike Richards.
Turned you down, did he?

Old
10-17-2011, 01:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
And I'm one of them. I never liked Carter. I liked what he brought to the team the year he scored 46 goals. Aside from that I never liked him. He is the only Flyer I have ever truly disliked. Richards WAS my favorite player. But that changed. Not because of the way the Philly media, which I never see or hear ore read, portrayed him. But because of his attitude and the way he portrayed himself. I have been to Philadelphia one time in my life. While I was there I was lucky enough to meet my favorite player, unfortunately my favorite player at the time was Mike Richards. Despite everything I say about him I do hope he goes back to the old Richie that was my favorite player.
blah blah blah you are a hater and you are directly responsible for the both of them being traded...

Old
10-17-2011, 01:59 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Exactly how should he have done that?
On the ice. By busting his ass and hustling all game long. Throwing big hits, fighting when the time called for it. Stepping in for teammates. Not whining about the way the power play is run. Look at Richards from the other night. He looked happy and he actually tried. When was the last time he did that in a Flyers uniform? The 2010 playoffs.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
blah blah blah you are a hater and you are directly responsible for the both of them being traded...
Cosigned.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:01 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
On the ice. By busting his ass and hustling all game long. Throwing big hits, fighting when the time called for it. Stepping in for teammates. Not whining about the way the power play is run. Look at Richards from the other night. He looked happy and he actually tried. When was the last time he did that in a Flyers uniform? The 2010 playoffs.
Wow.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
He had 66 points and was a +11, playing against some of the toughest match-ups every night, carrying one bum wrist and two bum wingers around the majority of the time. You don't do that with out trying. Just stop man, you're a hater.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:03 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
At which time, you'll ***** and moan that the Flyers trade away all their good players, who go on to great success elsewhere.

Turned you down, did he?
Nope because I want him to have success. But I truly believe he wouldn't have had that success here. He needed a change and he's got it. If he takes advantage of that change then good for him. If he doesn't then screw him. As far as turning me down, we can turn this into little personal jabs at each other if you want. But for someone with as many posts as you have you should probably know that kind of thing is frowned upon.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:06 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He had 66 points and was a +11, playing against some of the toughest match-ups every night, carrying one bum wrist and two bum wingers around the majority of the time. You don't do that with out trying. Just stop man, you're a hater.
If not liking a guy because he did a complete 180 from the way he played when he first entered the leage makes me a hater then ok I'm a hater. But at least I don't show more allegiance to our former players than I do our current team.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
This is valid although he really wasn't himself especially by the playoffs and in the run up to the playoffs. I mean even Lappy, Clemente and Tocchet in the pre-game and post game commentary in the playoffs (Buffalo and Boston) were saying that they needed to see more from Richie. I don't think they were being unfair..and I'm sure they were taking into account his wrist.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
If not liking a guy because he did a complete 180 from the way he played when he first entered the leage makes me a hater then ok I'm a hater. But at least I don't show more allegiance to our former players than I do our current team.
Here here...

Old
10-17-2011, 02:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
You totally fell into the trap. Go look at the results of the last 30 teams who lost in the Finals and what they did next year. The only two teams who made it back to the Finals (and won) were led by Gretzky and Crosby. Teams ALWAYS bounce coming off of that. He didn't quit, he was out of gas. Pronger was still hurt. Carter got hurt again. Versteeg was hurt. Best player on the team was JVR, and he had sheltered minuted in 2010. It was generally the reason why I was more or less willing to give the Flyers a pass on the whole season.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Yeah, athletes who don't care routinely play through illness and injury.

The Carter witch-hunt will always be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen from Philly fans. Can't you people find legit criticisms based in reality? Or does reality need to be ignored since all rational observation tends to prove he's actually a good player?

10-17-2011, 02:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
You totally fell into the trap. Go look at the results of the last 30 teams who lost in the Finals and what they did next year. The only two teams who made it back to the Finals (and won) were led by Gretzky and Crosby. Teams ALWAYS bounce coming off of that.
And therein lies part of the problem..we set up Carter and Richards to be franchise superstars which they are not. Never were. They are very good players..exceptional but they need to take it to the next level and it seems management didn't think they could although they may elsewhere although I personally doubt it. Hence why they were moved before their clauses kicked in...also helped that the teams were offering a decent return for the both of them.

BTW..Holmgren after the finals loss was asked about Richards and he specifically noted that "he's not there yet" to take it to the next level. I recall it pretty vividly.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I'm not sure I've ever done that either . . . ? I will say that it's stupid to like someone just because they put on your teams jersey and like them less because they take it off. Richards was a hell of a player here, and he's still a hell of a player somewhere else. I don't think he's a saint but the whole "he did a 180" thing is ********.

Quote:
This is valid although he really wasn't himself especially by the playoffs and in the run up to the playoffs. I mean even Lappy, Clemente and Tocchet in the pre-game and post game commentary in the playoffs (Buffalo and Boston) were saying that they needed to see more from Richie. I don't think they were being unfair..and I'm sure they were taking into account his wrist.
Richie, like a lot of players on that team, probably didn't have that much more to show by that point in time. I think things had gotten toxic beyond the point of repair in some respects in that room and I'm glad that it looks like the trade will work out for all parties involved.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:16 PM
FlyersFanSinceBirth

Quote:
You totally fell into the trap. Go look at the results of the last 30 teams who lost in the Finals and what they did next year. The only two teams who made it back to the Finals (and won) were led by Gretzky and Crosby. Teams ALWAYS bounce coming off of that. He didn't quit, he was out of gas. Pronger was still hurt. Carter got hurt again. Versteeg was hurt. Best player on the team was JVR, and he had sheltered minuted in 2010. It was generally the reason why I was more or less willing to give the Flyers a pass on the whole season.
I wasn't expecting the Flyers to make the Finals again last year. I can deal with them losing. It's losing and not showing an effort that I have a problem with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

The Carter witch-hunt will always be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen from Philly fans. Can't you people find legit criticisms based in reality? Or does reality need to be ignored since all rational observation tends to prove he's actually a good player?
Here's your criticisms based on reality. What percentage of Carter's goals were against sub-par teams? But the best fact based criticism I can give you would be his playoff stats.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
And therein lies part of the problem..we set up Carter and Richards to be franchise superstars which they are not. Never were. They are very good players..exceptional but they need to take it to the next level and it seems management didn't think they could although they may elsewhere although I personally doubt it. Hence why they were moved before their clauses kicked in...also helped that the teams were offering a decent return for the both of them.
No, the Flyers and the MEDIA set up Carter and Richards to be superstars. The team and the media told you Richards was supposed to be Bobby Clarke. Richards was NEVER supposed to be a superstar. He was supposed to be Rod Brind'Amour, the guy who took the tough minutes (which he did) that enabled other people to be superstars and take the glory.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Equally the Carter "hate" red herring is among the most disingenious and ignorant fallback positions to denigrate people who actually put out valid points like citing Richards' own words that things were not right...but let's ignore that.

Quote:
We also learned just how miserable last season was for Richards. His tension with Peter Laviolette was very real, so were the rumored factions in the Flyers' locker room. Given three chances to endorse him at a practice last week, Laviolette would say little more than that he wasn't here for much of Richards' tenure.

"You can focus in putting the energy on the ice, instead of wasting a lot of it off," Richards said about his time in LA so far last Friday. "It's fun coming to the rink again. You don't have to worry about anything. It's not little groups anymore, it's just one big group."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1b3TnDfi2