HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner out of practice early (injury from fight with Rinaldo)

Old
10-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Is it really the right thing to start a fight after a clean hit? How did a scrub Rinaldo pick off two top players with one hit? Dumb play in my opinion. Doughty should know better than to cut across the middle of the ice with his head down. Penner should stand up for his teammates after a dirty play. Time to start tracking games lost to injury....
If you watch the replay, you can see that Rinaldo left his feet when checking Doughty. How is Penner supposed to know if it was clean or not in a split second? All he saw was his #1 defenseman being hit by a scrub and the player left his feet. Penner did the right thing.

Remeber when everyone was complaining that no one was sticking up for their teammates before? Remember when Simmonds was hit by Malkin and nobody did anything?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Is it really the right thing to start a fight after a clean hit? How did a scrub Rinaldo pick off two top players with one hit? Dumb play in my opinion. Doughty should know better than to cut across the middle of the ice with his head down. Penner should stand up for his teammates after a dirty play. Time to start tracking games lost to injury....
That's a very good point, and to some degree, I too believe in what you're saying. However, historically, whenever your teammate, especially, someone of the caliber of DD is injured or checked as hard as he was, teammates will reciprocate by going after the player who lay the hit. Not saying it's the correct thing to do or not, but that's just the way the hockey world seems to work.

Another take could be that without instant replay, kings players could have thought the hit was dirty, especially when you consider Rinaldo was the one with the hit.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Pucknut50

It does not matter how clean the hit is. Any open ice hits especially to a star player someone has to go after the player just to make him think twice next time. This keeps the other teams skilled players looking over the shoulder. As for Doughty he got careless going over the middle with all that traffic.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Mayor

Quote:
#LAKings coach Terry Murray said Dustin Penner was first evaluated by #Flyers doctors, who cleared him. TM praised their Drs for the help.
Quote:
Penner has a knee contusion from when he fell on ice after fight in Philly. He's on the way to the doctor right now to get checked out.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:07 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
**** happens, can't really blame Rinaldo.

If Penner needs to be shut down for a week or two, so be it. I want him 100% upon return.
You might have to wait MUCH longer for that ...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
lumbergh

It's not going to make Rinaldo think twice next time. I mean, if a fourth line player knows he can draw a first-line winger into a fight and take him off the ice for 5-15 minutes by hitting a top defenseman cutting across the middle with his head down, would he do it every time? I know I would if I were Rinaldo. That's how he earns his keep.

On that Simmonds-Malkin episode, that was a dirty head shot and you do have to stand up for your teammate there.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Mayor

Quote:
#LAKings coach Terry Murray said Dustin Penner was first evaluated by #Flyers doctors, who cleared him. TM praised their Drs for the help.

Quote:
Penner has a knee contusion from when he fell on ice after fight in Philly. He's on the way to the doctor right now to get checked out.
Flyers' doctors thought it was a hand contusion and it is a knee contusion? Did they go to the Edmonton school of medicine?

Old
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
On that Simmonds-Malkin episode, that was a dirty head shot and you do have to stand up for your teammate there.
And you expect everyone on the ice to know in that split second decision that a hit is clean or dirty? Maybe Doughty cried out in pain and Penner just went after the guy that hit him and didn't care to think about if the hit was legal or not? How do you know Penner saw that Doughty had his head down?

If everyone on the ice thought the Malkin hit was clean, do you still think they should have stood up for their teammate? Or do you get to decide after the slow motion replays if a teammate should have jumped in or not?

Old
10-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Is it the same doctors that cleared Eric Lindros to play when he had a collapsed lung?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Leaving your feet is never a clean hit.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Flyers' doctors thought it was a hand contusion and it is a knee contusion? Did they go to the Edmonton school of medicine?

Did a media source ever say it was the hand? I think somebody on our board just assumed that it was the hand since it was caused from the fight.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Did a media source ever say it was the hand? I think somebody on our board just assumed that it was the hand since it was caused from the fight.
You're right. Looks like people just guessed it was the hand, Murray just said it was a contusion.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Leaving your feet is never a clean hit.
Mike Richards hit on Voracek was nearly identical but Voracek wasn't skating nearly as fast so the collision wasn't as bad. Cristiano Rinaldo left his feet after the hit was made. It looked dirty to me at first but it was a clean hit.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Mike Richards hit on Voracek was nearly identical but Voracek wasn't skating nearly as fast the collision wasn't as bad. Cristiano Rinaldo left his feet after the hit was made. It looked dirty to me at first but it was a clean hit.
He leaped into the hit. He was off the ice before contact. I wouldn't call it a dirty hit, but it could have been called charging.

Richards is also smaller than Rinaldo. His impacts are never as strong.

Quote:
From Hammond:

Terry Murray said Dustin Penner is still feeling the effects of the “contusion” — now called a knee contusion — that he suffered in Saturday’s fight. Penner’s status for tomorrow’s game is still to be determined.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:24 PM
bobafettish*

I think hi sbody is not actually use to working out, thus the injuries.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
He leaped into the hit. He was off the ice before contact. I wouldn't call it a dirty hit, but it could have been called charging.

Richards is also smaller than Rinaldo. His impacts are never as strong.
Mike Richards' hit he pushes up with his legs too but his feet barely leave the ice and again, it is because he wasn't moving as fast. I don't know if NHL.com is right but it says Rinaldo is 5'11" 169 lbs (i'm assuming the weight is wrong) and Doughty is 6' 212 lbs. It says Voracek is 6'2" 214lbs and Richards is 5'11" 199 lbs. The height and weight of the hittee versus hitter is nearly identical in both cases. It is all about the speed of the collisions. Believe me, when I saw it I immediately thought it was a charge but it is borderline in my opinion and he didn't lead with the elbow or target the head so I think it is a clean hit. It is hard to not leave your feet when you make contact with somebody at that speed. You are throwing your body forward for more momentum so the other guy takes the brunt of the force and that can cause you to leave the ice once you make contact.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Mike Richards' hit he pushes up with his legs too but his feet barely leave the ice and again, it is because he wasn't moving as fast. I don't know if NHL.com is right but it says Rinaldo is 5'11" 169 lbs (i'm assuming the weight is wrong) and Doughty is 6' 212 lbs. It says Voracek is 6'2" 214lbs and Richards is 5'11" 199 lbs. The height and weight of the hittee versus hitter is nearly identical in both cases. It is all about the speed of the collisions. Believe me, when I saw it I immediately thought it was a charge but it is borderline in my opinion and he didn't lead with the elbow or target the head so I think it is a clean hit. It is hard to not leave your feet when you make contact with somebody at that speed. You are throwing your body forward for more momentum so the other guy takes the brunt of the force and that can cause you to leave the ice once you make contact.
Guess Rinaldo is smaller than I thought. Doughty must be a china doll then. Hopefully it is just a bruice for Doughty and he will be back in a week.

Yahoo! has Rinaldo at 5'11" and 180 lbs and Doughty at 6'1" 219 lbs.

I just said it could have been called a charge. I haven't looked for the YouTube videos yet, but on my DVR it sure looked like Rinaldo left his feet before contact, but it was close. I was fine with no penalty to Rinaldo on the play, but with the way the refs called the rest of the game it could easily have been called. I was fine with no penalty to Richards too and it shows that the refs at least kept it consistent.

No big deal either way. Just glad that Penner stood up for Doughty.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Is it the same doctors that cleared Eric Lindros to play when he had a collapsed lung?
No, they work for Edmonton now.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Reporting for duty.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Guess Rinaldo is smaller than I thought. Doughty must be a china doll then. Hopefully it is just a bruice for Doughty and he will be back in a week.

Yahoo! has Rinaldo at 5'11" and 180 lbs and Doughty at 6'1" 219 lbs.

I just said it could have been called a charge. I haven't looked for the YouTube videos yet, but on my DVR it sure looked like Rinaldo left his feet before contact, but it was close. I was fine with no penalty to Rinaldo on the play, but with the way the refs called the rest of the game it could easily have been called. I was fine with no penalty to Richards too and it shows that the refs at least kept it consistent.

No big deal either way. Just glad that Penner stood up for Doughty.
I agree on all accounts and I was surprised to see Rinaldo was so small. It is the speed of the collision that did it to Doughty. If Richards would have hit Voracek at the same speed, he probably would have had some type of injury.

I do find it odd that Penner can't play with a friggin bruise on his knee(s).

Old
10-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Hammond update on Penner: with quotes from Terry Murray:
Quote:
MURRAY: “The plan was full practice. There was nothing, before the practice, to lead me to believe there was going to be anything different than that. Obviously it’s bothering him. He’s been reassured by the doctor in Philadelphia and the training staff here, but something is on his mind so we sent him to our team doctor.”
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/10/17...us/#more-16785

So which LW you guys think will be a good fit in the top six next season? Parise or Semin?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
NomadFan

What kind of crappy shin guards is he using that falling on the ice causes a knee contusion bad enough to severely limit his play?!?

Or did he just not have them put on properly?

/insert fat knees joke here

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

what a costly play. our best dman and our #1 LW out because of the guy

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
what a costly play. our best dman and our #1 LW out because of the guy
Wow, he took out Johnson and Gagne too?

Old
10-17-2011, 04:48 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Boy, as much work as Penner has put into the off-season, the guy is struggling just to get going in the season.

Hopefully, he comes back 100% healthy.

Hang in there Dustin!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote