HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Buying a used smartphone

Old
10-16-2011, 04:47 PM
JAVO16

vCash: 500
Buying a used smartphone

I was thinking about buying a used smartphone on ebay. Anybody, has any tips or do you guys seriously think it's a bad idea ?

I was thinking about buying some kind of smartphone since my deal is off with my last phone and I don't like having cell phone and Ipod in my pants or pockets. I don't really need all those internet data plans though since I have free connection everywhere I go in my daily routine. I was therefore thinking about buying an unlocked smartphone and getting a contract with only a voice plan. Been looking at used Iphone since there are a lot of those on sale, but I wouldn't mind an htc or samsung either.

(Maybe move this to the geek emporium)

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:13 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Buy it refurbished or from a seller that has something like 10,000+ sales with 95% positive feedback. I've done it a few times, but only from the ones that are like mass ebay sellers with strong feedback. There's a lot of them out there and you can get a good phone in great condition (bearing some expected aesthetic wear) for a decent price.

I wouldn't just buy one of a guy with like 27 sales unless his photos were extensive and his feedback was flawless.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:36 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

Don't be cheap buy new

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Henrik Maneuver

I'd recommend getting it off craigslist so that you can use it in person to make sure everything works. That's how I sold my iPhone 3G...the guy stuck his simcard in, played around with it, was able to inspect for damages, and walked away happy. I would get a microsim from your provider first for $10 to put in the iPhone (if iphone 4 or 4S), or bring along a friend who has one for the carrier you want

How to tell if it's unlocked (all 3 should be true):
1. your own microsim works in it
2. there is no gevey sim interposer under the sim card when you remove the sim card (a thin bronze-colored membrane)
3. there is no cydia or furiousmod icon in the phone's home screen apps, and also not in any of the folders

another way (if just this is true, it's unlocked):
if under modem firmware when you go to settings>general> about it says 04.11.08 for iphone 4 and 4S

No matter where you get it from, first thing when you put your sim card in any iPhone is go to settings, general, network, and disable data roaming, 3G, and cellular data, or else the iPhone will start charging you for data within seconds.

Last edited by Henrik Maneuver: 10-16-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Henrik Maneuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1006585

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:51 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

buy from a guy you know makes a living on ebay and sells a lot or has a store. if they don't agree to return it you can have their account shut down

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer

Use kijiji.ca so you can try it before you buy.

Sergei Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
I got my Galaxy S captivate off kijiji. So far still good. Just previous owner forgot to clear some pics that made me laugh hard.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:19 AM
Osprey

That's funny, since I sold a used and unlocked HTC smartphone on eBay just yesterday. I originally bought it and another of the same phone through eBay (won two). One was great, but the other had slightly blurry pictures from the camera. The seller didn't report the problem. In hindsight, I should've made an issue out of it, but I thought that I might be able to solve it and, by the time that I conceded that it wasn't fixable, it was rather late to complain. So, I just turned around and re-sold it, noting the problem in the auction, since I'm more honest than the one who sold it to me. So, the point is that you do take a risk that there's a problem that the seller isn't being honest about, but there are also good sellers out there.

The recommendation from others of going with businesses or sellers with 100+ feedbacks is a good one if you want to be safe. Another thing that you can do is bid on only items for which returns are allowed, but even if returns aren't allowed, being dishonest with buyers isn't allowed, either, so you'll have recourse to get your money back, regardless. eBay has its own buyer protection that's free and PayPal has its own free, dispute-settling service.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:26 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Ebay is definitely very extreme on the buyer friendly side in terms of disputes.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:51 AM
neofury*

I would go ebay, even if the thing has a scratch the seller didn't tell you about you can get a full refund especially via paypal.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Yes, it's a great idea IMO. If you don't have an upgrade or don't want to get in a contract, you can get say..an iPhone 4 off eBay for $300 as opposed to paying double that for retail price.

eBay is also a great place for selling used phones, because people don't want to use their upgrades and get locked into a 2 year contract, so people will actually pay pretty good $$ for many phones.

My friend just recently bought an iPhone 4 32GB for Verizon off eBay, only paid $300 with shipping and the phone literally looks brand new, not a scratch on it. I'd say that's better than paying $200 and getting locked into a contract. Just make sure the eBayer has good feedback. I typically won't buy anything off eBay if it's a new seller, even though you can usually get better deals because everyone is thinking the same thing.

Also make sure the phone can be activated, I don't know how it is for other companies..but if a phone has been reported lost or stolen, Verizon disables the phone and the ESN goes bad, making it unusable on the verizon network. So, if I ever buy a phone off eBay, I make sure the ESN is clean and can be activated.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:11 PM
neofury*

Wait for the new iphone to come out first so you can really get a deal on all the noobs ebaying theirs trying to undercut one another.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:25 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Main thing I would be worried about is the battery as you will never really know how much it was used etc. I am not sure I would buy a used one but it is the more environmental way to go.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Main thing I would be worried about is the battery as you will never really know how much it was used etc. I am not sure I would buy a used one but it is the more environmental way to go.
That might be an issue with buying an iPhone, but for nearly every other phone, it's not, since you can just buy a new one for very cheap. For example, I just looked up Galaxy S II batteries on eBay and they're going for about $5 apiece.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-18-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote