HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

IF Martin gets fired or no contract renewal, who takes his place?

Old
10-17-2011, 11:14 AM
maci4life

vCash: 500
Hopefully the best coach available, NOT the best bilingual coach available.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:16 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
An American, please.

The Alouettes and Impact have one. Why not the Montreal CanadiAns ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:55 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
Impossible

The Habs coach has to be bilingual

Personally, I would be happy with a competent unilingual coach, but the reality is that being bilingual is a requirement for this job

And regarding the Alouettes, they don't get the same media exposure

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
An athlete is not necessarily a person who is in good shape, just like a person in good shape will not necessarily be an athlete. An athlete usually constitutes of a given person being superior at a given physical skill (talent); for example, shooting accuracy does not result to a thinking process per say, but more in fact that body, after alot of practising a given talent, starts to memorize what movement/strength applied/etc is needed to make the shot accurate. My evidence would be that some players have easier time memorizing those data (movement, position, strength applied) faster and better then others, since everyone should have or has access to the logic behind a good accurate shot. Same can be said about making saves as goaltender. So roy spend most of his time practising that given talent/skill, which it seems, he was very good at.
Not to say Roy doesn't have the mental 'talents' to be/become a great strategist, which is usually great skillset for any coach/gm. personally, the instinctual/Spontaneous nature that i see in Roy, would tell me he's not necessarily reluctant to use a thinking process prior to some of his actions. be aware this is personal observation, which includes lots of generalzation and a subject thats open to alot of debate.
I'm curious, how do you explain his continued success strategizing & developing winning teams and NHL playerscontinually in the QJMHL? Jr hockey is typically very cyclical but he's had repeated success.

Or is he just the luckiest instinctual athlete that has had extreme luck the past 4 years or whatever?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:56 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm curious, how do you explain his continued success strategizing & developing winning teams and NHL playerscontinually in the QJMHL? Jr hockey is typically very cyclical but he's had repeated success.

Or is he just the luckiest instinctual athlete that has had extreme luck the past 4 years or whatever?
Getting a budget that is roughly 5X bigger than other teams gives him a slight advantage, you know...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:57 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

We should get Boucher back. I would enjoy watching him yell and have a scar on his face on the bench every game, even when we are losing.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:36 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

i don't follow much qjmhl, nor follow roys progress. i was, as said a few times, talking in generalities, of difference between job of a coach, and job of an athlete, differentiating the required skillets needed in either position, which ended in me saying that it doesn't necesarly mean that if your an athlete you cant be good coach. Reasons of why his success can vary from him having time to develop a sense of coaching, and having the required talent to coach and strategize a team, to him having an outstanding group of assistants that make his job easier. At least Roy knows what steps to take to get the proper training to become a NHL coach, and he might succeed, i don't think it makes my points any less valid.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

If Patrick Roy can't be a head coach here maybe can he be a goalie coach! (Even if it meant Carey Price becoming a butterfly goalie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
"Poot puck on net score goal".
Wouldn't AK46 want the players to throw hits at the opponents in a defensive effort?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
An American, please.

The Alouettes and Impact have one. Why not the Montreal CanadiAns ?
Football is an American dominated sport, and soccer also has a bigger American following, most of the coaches/talent in the NHL are Canadian, how come you'd prefer an American?

Just curious.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Beakermania*

The rule sucks, but I don't see the Habs hiring a unilingual coach. Geoff Molson has said he's going to continue asking our coach to speak french.

Sucks though as the pool of available guys is shrunk dramatically by this rule.

Ie if martin was fired tomorrow it would mean marc crawford, bob hartley, or a rookie head coach are the options.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:26 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
The thing is that it's not 3 games or 4 games. Some people like what they see in Martin. Personally, I absolutely hate what I see. I feel like more could be accomplished with this group offensively, not necessarily at the expense of defense. I don't like the passive system and the lack of toughness while being amongst the leaders in PIM. And all of that is not just from this year, but since he took over.

Amen.

The poor start to this season is what it is. Martin's poor systems that do not match his roster's talents or abilities have been going on for two years. And Martin is proving incapable of "change" with regard to motivation and systems used.

Quote:
i don't follow much qjmhl, nor follow roys progress. i was, as said a few times, talking in generalities, of difference between job of a coach, and job of an athlete, differentiating the required skillets needed in either position, which ended in me saying that it doesn't necesarly mean that if your an athlete you cant be good coach. Reasons of why his success can vary from him having time to develop a sense of coaching, and having the required talent to coach and strategize a team, to him having an outstanding group of assistants that make his job easier. At least Roy knows what steps to take to get the proper training to become a NHL coach, and he might succeed, i don't think it makes my points any less valid.
To be honest, Gauthier was not an NHL player..........and it shows.

You cannot generalize about an athlete not being a good coach or vice versa. Coaching is a job that anyone can do. Winning championships,however, regardless of what level, is a TALENT that only a few elite coaches can ever accomplish.

Past success is usually a predictor of success in the future. Past failures is usually a predictor of failure in the future.

Roy, Martin, Gauthier. Who among those three people have experienced success, as in winning a championship?

Last edited by Mike8: 10-17-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: merge
SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:35 PM
groovejuice

I think if you go back and look at the plethora of ex-habs that won cups as players and later coached this team, you'll see just how specious that arguement is.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

You cannot generalize about an athlete not being a good coach or vice versa. Coaching is a job that anyone can do. Winning championships,however, regardless of what level, is a TALENT that only a few elite coaches can ever accomplish.

Past success is usually a predictor of success in the future. Past failures is usually a predictor of failure in the future.

Roy, Martin, Gauthier. Who among those three people have experienced success, as in winning a championship?
Scotty Bowman, Mike Babcock, Ken Holland, Pat Burns, Jacques Demers, Peter Laviolette and Peter Chiarelli all disagree and that the only ones I can find from memory right now.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Scotty Bowman, Mike Babcock, Ken Holland, Pat Burns, Jacques Demers, Peter Laviolette and Peter Chiarelli all disagree and that the only ones I can find from memory right now.
For the literal crowd, I was referring to coaching success, not success on the ice.

Old
10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Amen.

The poor start to this season is what it is. Martin's poor systems that do not match his roster's talents or abilities have been going on for two years. And Martin is proving incapable of "change" with regard to motivation and systems used.

while i try and explain my arguments, you just give me examples and vague correlations (if it worked, it will work again). Let me know when you have anything constructive to argue about. Start by giving me a factor in how you can quantify what it takes to be a "winning" coach. i gave example of an athlete and of a coach, separated them in two distinct categories. Coaching as purley "mental intelligence" and athlete as "body intelligence", were mental intelligence has to rely to quickness and effectivness of logic and thought process; analytical skillset. While "body intelligence" would be responsiveness and memory of given physical skillset, instinctual responsiveness of your body. this obviously is debatable i hope someone can add/disprove of what im saying.

obv you need other skills/talents to be a coach then just mental strategy; i would add emotional awareness as good skill to have.

Old
10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
For the literal crowd, I was referring to coaching success, not success on the ice.
At one point Scotty Bowman was a 0 time Stanley Cup champion... so was Burns, so was every coach who has ever won.

So by your theory their lack of success means they will never win a cup.

Babcock should never have been hired by Detroit after failing to win the cup in Anaheim. Burns should have never gotten the New Jersey job after winning 0 cups in Montreal, Toronto, and Boston. Julien never won in Montreal or Jersey, so Boston shouldn't hire him... etc...

Old
10-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Forsead

Quote:
I would still put guys like Babcock, Demers and Bowman go look at their history before having won the cup.

Bowman lost 3 time in a row in the finals....

Then Babcock lost in the finals before winning it and had alot of first round exit.

Demers also took alot of time before winning the cup in fact his track record was about the same has a guy like Martin.

Same thing for a Pat Burns who took alot of time before winning the stanley cuphe even had a finals lost.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Football is an American dominated sport, and soccer also has a bigger American following, most of the coaches/talent in the NHL are Canadian, how come you'd prefer an American?

Just curious.
Ever heard of sarcasm ?

Quote:
I would still put guys like Babcock, Demers and Bowman go look at their history before having won the cup.

Then Babcock lost in the finals before winning it and had alot of first round exit.

Demers also took alot of time before winning the cup in fact his track record was about the same has a guy like Martin.

Same thing for a Pat Burns who took alot of time before winning the stanley cuphe even had a finals lost.
Back then, St-Louis was playing against expension teams like them in the playoffs before meeting the finalist of the Original Six teams for the Stanley Cup. They were not necessarely the second-best team of the NHl, just the best of their division/conference. Bowman had the chance to have Jacques Plante and Glen Hall in nets.

Last edited by overlords: 10-17-2011 at 07:19 PM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:18 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
while i try and explain my arguments, you just give me examples and vague correlations (if it worked, it will work again). Let me know when you have anything constructive to argue about. Start by giving me a factor in how you can quantify what it takes to be a "winning" coach. i gave example of an athlete and of a coach, separated them in two distinct categories. Coaching as purley "mental intelligence" and athlete as "body intelligence", were mental intelligence has to rely to quickness and effectivness of logic and thought process; analytical skillset. While "body intelligence" would be responsiveness and memory of given physical skillset, instinctual responsiveness of your body. this obviously is debatable i hope someone can add/disprove of what im saying.

obv you need other skills/talents to be a coach then just mental strategy; i would add emotional awareness as good skill to have.
Can you quantify respect? Can you quantify motivational abilities?

You cant. But it exists and its real and the outcomes are real.

How else can you explain a team that is average to poor where the coach is replaced and then that team excels. It happens every year in every sport.

With regard to Martin and respect. When a coach "punishes" a player for making a mistake and then lets a certaing other players commit the same mistake without punishment, does he earn the respect of his players. A coach does not have to be well liked to be a successful, but he damned sure needs to have the respect of his team.

Motivation. Not much needs to be said about this. Do you honestly think Martin motivates his teams?

Old
10-17-2011, 07:31 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

Look at the playoff records of Martin (.446) Bowman (.632) Babcock (.632) Demers (.561) and Burns (.508)

Do you see a trend? A great coach will not win a Stanley Cup the first time that they get there. They will not win a Cup every year either. But they do know how to win in the playoffs.

The coaches you mentioned had a history of winning in the playoffs. It was a matter of time before they won a Cup or Cups.

Martin does not have a history of winning in the playoffs.

Past performance is not absolute. It is, however, an indicator of future performance though. It does not look good for the Habs as long as Martin is in charge. And that pains me to say that.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-17-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: No.
Old
10-17-2011, 07:50 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Can you quantify respect? Can you quantify motivational abilities?

You cant. But it exists and its real and the outcomes are real.

How else can you explain a team that is average to poor where the coach is replaced and then that team excels. It happens every year in every sport.

With regard to Martin and respect. When a coach "punishes" a player for making a mistake and then lets a certaing other players commit the same mistake without punishment, does he earn the respect of his players. A coach does not have to be well liked to be a successful, but he damned sure needs to have the respect of his team.

Motivation. Not much needs to be said about this. Do you honestly think Martin motivates his teams?
Players (as a whole) are motivated by winning, getting closer to the given goal.
Any given sunday speach is short term motivation, if that's the quality your looking that martin might be lacking.

Players feel respected, by being respected. Sometimes, people feel disrespected, because they have no respect themselves.

Those are trivial, and easy achievable goals. What's harder is to come with game plan, using numerous personal, analyzing tapes and tapes of hockey players/teams and coming to fruitful strategy, day in day out. Once you have that, and the right players, and your team is winning, motivation is there.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-17-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old
10-17-2011, 07:56 PM
macavoy

Quote:
How does being wrong not make your point less valid? The reality is he is having success as a coach and GM. That is a fact. It proves your point wrong basically doesn't it?

Old
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Beakermania*

Okay great... what was Babcock's winning percentage before Detroit hired him, Burns before the cup in Jersey, Bowman before joining Montreal, ect.....

Old
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Look at the playoff records of Martin (.446) Bowman (.632) Babcock (.632) Demers (.561) and Burns (.508)

Do you see a trend? A great coach will not win a Stanley Cup the first time that they get there. They will not win a Cup every year either. But they do know how to win in the playoffs.

The coaches you mentioned had a history of winning in the playoffs. It was a matter of time before they won a Cup or Cups.

Martin does not have a history of winning in the playoffs.

Past performance is not absolute. It is, however, an indicator of future performance though. It does not look good for the Habs as long as Martin is in charge. And that pains me to say that.
Where in this category does Claude Julien fit? How far in the past do you consider "past records" when it comes to playoff coaching? The only thing I hate more than misinformation, is stats that are tailor picked to support the argument.

"Statistics are like a drunk with a lamppost: used more for support than illumination." -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-17-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:08 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Getting a budget that is roughly 5X bigger than other teams gives him a slight advantage, you know...
Not really. He can't buy better players, he can't pay them more to work harder.

Also money =\= success, look at the Rangers pre lockout and since then to a smaller degree.

So your saying he knows how to get the most out of his resources available. Why is that a bad thing?