HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign F Marco Sturm to 1 year, $2.25M deal

Old
10-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Remember guys, Sturm has been away from NHL ice for a very long time and it can't be expected for him to jump right in and be a contributer.

I think Sturm will be a depth guy for us for half of the year and I'm hoping as the year progresses his game will sharpen up and he can be a guy like Samuelsson & Higgins who can pot goals for us here and there on the second line.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 05:07 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
I really think this was a move to fiddle with the cap to give most advantage to canucks
There's no cap advantage gained from signing Sturm.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
It's funny how whenever I would do my projected lineup people would question why I never put Hodgson on the second line. People often claimed that he would be there ahead of Higgins. Well, you're witnessing why.

Sturm needs to just go. I was very upset when we wasted cap space signing him (in this very thread), and he's done nothing to prove me wrong. I would rather have Tanner Glass on this team than Sturm...at least Glass would hit.
Sturm is who you mean? I was also extremely concerned at the time of the signing because of his knee injuries, especially with a player so reliant on his skating to be successful.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
Remember guys, Sturm has been away from NHL ice for a very long time and it can't be expected for him to jump right in and be a contributer.
Huh? He was playing for the Caps in the second round in May, and other than one injury in January, was a regular for the last half of last season.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:07 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think Sturm will be a depth guy for us for half of the year and I'm hoping as the year progresses his game will sharpen up and he can be a guy like Samuelsson & Higgins who can pot goals for us here and there on the second line.

I have to hope he was signed to be on the 3rd line, 2nd line is a massive hope. If Raymond gets back this season, Sedin-Higgins-Raymond and Sturm is looking like 4th line winger, if that happens he be better off waived because he's too big a cap hit with too little ice time.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:30 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
There's no cap advantage gained from signing Sturm.
Being closer to the cap maximizes LTIR allowance.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:43 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Being closer to the cap maximizes LTIR allowance.
No it doesn't. And besides, anything they'd gain in LTIR space would be cancelled out by the lost cap space from his salary so the net result is the same.

Every day that Sturm is on the roster is a day where their upper limit is $12,162 less than it would be if he wasn't on the roster. It's pretty much as simple as that. There is no situation that I'm aware of where having Sturm on the roster will allow them to spend more money than if he'd never been signed.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:45 AM
MS

Quote:

As someone else already noted, Sturm was healthy and playing (badly) for the 2nd half of last season and the playoffs, and then had a healthy offseason.

Rust or timing should not be an issue. At all.

The guy is done. He'll join the ranks of guys like Doug Bodger and Dave Gagner who finished fine NHL careers with terrible stints in Vancouver.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
As someone else already noted, Sturm was healthy and playing (badly) for the 2nd half of last season and the playoffs, and then had a healthy offseason.

Rust or timing should not be an issue. At all.

The guy is done. He'll join the ranks of guys like Doug Bodger and Dave Gagner who finished fine NHL careers with terrible stints in Vancouver.
it has been stated he came back to early last year and then reaggravetted his knee.

2nd half healthy but still getting up to speed....

so far his speed isnt there......will it come back after another 10 gms?

I thought he played alright on the 3rd /4th line the other day.....nothing great just OK.

I am prepared to see where he is by the 15-20 gm mark before commenting on how bad/good he is every shift......

by gm 20 we will know exactly where he is at and whether he improved or not.

it was a low risk(when Raymond is back--if no improvment waived to Chi) .... with a high upside(performs like Higgins)

bottom line he will have to work himself back into form from the 3rd or 4th line

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Momesso

Yes, I think he'll get his 20 games or so before he starts becoming a healthy scratch.

Although I think even Oreskovich would be a better substitution for the roster. At least he can skate, hit and forecheck, and at least create space out there.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Oh man you had to remind me of that "Burke whopper"....where Burke essentially said (I"m sure Wet will dig out the original quote)...."Gagner was the key component in the Pavel Bure trade; if the Panther's didn't want to include him - I don't do the trade".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Yes, I think he'll get his 20 games or so before he starts becoming a healthy scratch.
Followed shortly by a trip to Chicago....

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:11 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
No it doesn't. And besides, anything they'd gain in LTIR space would be cancelled out by the lost cap space from his salary so the net result is the same.

Every day that Sturm is on the roster is a day where their upper limit is $12,162 less than it would be if he wasn't on the roster. It's pretty much as simple as that. There is no situation that I'm aware of where having Sturm on the roster will allow them to spend more money than if he'd never been signed.
Kesler and Raymond are on the main squad and not LTIR for the same reason.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:49 PM
KDizzle

He's this year's Peter Schaeffer... Except cost more, and was given a spot in July rather than having to try out. So, nothing like Schaeffer except in that I expect him to be playing in Germany before the season is done.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
He's this year's Peter Schaeffer... Except cost more, and was given a spot in July rather than having to try out. So, nothing like Schaeffer except in that I expect him to be playing in Germany before the season is done.
Not that bad in that we had a better player that we didn't give a contract to (Morrison) in training camp.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:15 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Lines at practice today (from Dan Murphy):

Twins-Burrows Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson Hansen-Malhotra-Samuelsson Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise

So it only took 5.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
tesplen

Ouch. Healthy scratch 5 games into the season.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:27 PM
skg

Not surprising. He played his way out of the starting lineup.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:

The only issue with this is one similar to the Ballard situation last year. Because of the injury, he never fully catches up to speed in our system and the coach benches him a lot. Then, when we need him, he just isn't ready to go in the top 6.

Unfortunately with Sturm were kinda damned if we do and damned if we dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
Not necessarily. Not saying he won't be scratched tomorrow, but a maintenance day is also very likely.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
skg

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivier View Post
Marco........ Polo. Marco????....... Polo. Can't find him. He's invisible.
Hilarious.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:09 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
It appears Marco Sturm will be forced out of the lineup by Kesler's return. He was signed as a free agent over the summer but has just two shots on goal and is a minus-4 through five games.
"I've been through it before and I've got to do it again," said Sturm. "I was not happy either about the start I had, but it's nothing I can change right now. I've got to do it day-by-day, work harder and get back at it."
Added Vigneault: "We're working with Marco. His attitude and his effort are great, he wants to do well. It hasn't gone to the way he obviously expected and the way we expected as far as his performance on the ice, but we're working with him and hopefully everything will come together."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...ice=mobile&c=y

Old
10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Except, I think Schaefer was also earning millions from an outside source (buyout contract)... Not having this luxury, and under the real threat of being a final NHL contract, I'd think that Sturm would probably report to Chicago... If at all interested in playing again in the NHL, he'd really have no other good option than to work on his game in the AHL and hope that he gets an opportunity to come back up (either during regular season or the playoffs)... and play much better...

At his salary, Sturm will very likely make it through waivers... Looks like Gillis and co may have misjudged Sturm's impact... Back to a 20 goal scorer? Wouldn't bet on it right now... But personally, I like having him as a depth 14th or 15th forward (at worst)... Hopefully, he can turn it around before having to be sent down... but if he can't, the depth is still nice to have...

Looks like the contract might have been a mistake (albeit it's early)... Having Sturm in the system though, I don't think is a mistake... He's a good guy to add to the depth pile... Think he'd also be good for the AHL team... I like Sturm... hope he can turn it around...

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
tesplen

At least Sturm has a good attitude about it and knows he needs to be better. I kind of feel bad for him since he comes across as such a friendly guy in interviews who is grateful for the opportunity here. However, it's not looking good for him right now and he looks like he's just physically unable to keep up and compete at a high level, like Cheechoo for example. But hopefully he can continue to work with the coaches and get his game back and be a solid contributor. He seems like a good team guy.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:09 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

I hope Sturm turns it around but it's looking more and more like he should have just retired. He's not contributing anything of value to the team. He was brought in to be an offensive winger but has 0 points, while the other wingers are doing their part (Sedin-7, Burrows-4, Higgins-4, Samuelsson-3).

Happy that AV is scratching him. for now at least.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote