HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner out of practice early (injury from fight with Rinaldo)

Old
10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Hammond update on Penner: with quotes from Terry Murray:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/10/17...us/#more-16785

So which LW you guys think will be a good fit in the top six next season? Parise or Semin?
Parse...

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Mike Richards hit on Voracek was nearly identical but Voracek wasn't skating nearly as fast so the collision wasn't as bad. Cristiano Rinaldo left his feet after the hit was made. It looked dirty to me at first but it was a clean hit.
Hahaha.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:35 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Parse...
Heh.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:45 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And you expect everyone on the ice to know in that split second decision that a hit is clean or dirty? Maybe Doughty cried out in pain and Penner just went after the guy that hit him and didn't care to think about if the hit was legal or not? How do you know Penner saw that Doughty had his head down?

If everyone on the ice thought the Malkin hit was clean, do you still think they should have stood up for their teammate? Or do you get to decide after the slow motion replays if a teammate should have jumped in or not?
There is really no reason for Penner to do that. Let the Refs, Clifford or Westgarth handle that stuff.

Now we have a top six Forward out due to injury.

Also I understand why guys do it, But I don't agree with it. Philly didn't go after Mike after he killed that guy in open ice.

Scrums after hits in the NHL are getting worse, and they are just stupid. It kills the flow of the game. Simmer got hurt last year cause of a scrum after a clean hit.

At some point this garbage needs to end. It doesn't make anyone think twice about anything. Those guys make a living by doing what Rinaldo did. He would do it again.

You are not going to make Kronwall think twice about laying out your star player in open ice by getting in a scrum with him.

I wonder what Scott Stevens thinks of the League today.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Kingurentai

Ok, so whether it was good or not, I'm now wondering based on Hammond's blog what the deal is between Penner and Murray. There has to be something going on there.

One moment Murray is praising him for backing Doughty, then in a roundabout way saying Penner's faking it (ridiculous notion IMO).

I am going to blame Murray for this one. There are times to chastise players through the media and times not to. 3 games into the season and right after he tried to back up your franchise player is NOT the time.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:52 PM
verbalkint47

Quote:

So which LW you guys think will be a good fit in the top six next season? Parise or Semin?
Tuomo Ruutu

verbalkint47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:26 AM
itstheo54

Quote:

Robitaille

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:29 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Gramawmaw Murray is such an idiot. He of all people should know better.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
There is really no reason for Penner to do that. Let the Refs, Clifford or Westgarth handle that stuff.

Now we have a top six Forward out due to injury.

Also I understand why guys do it, But I don't agree with it. Philly didn't go after Mike after he killed that guy in open ice.

Scrums after hits in the NHL are getting worse, and they are just stupid. It kills the flow of the game. Simmer got hurt last year cause of a scrum after a clean hit.

At some point this garbage needs to end. It doesn't make anyone think twice about anything. Those guys make a living by doing what Rinaldo did. He would do it again.

You are not going to make Kronwall think twice about laying out your star player in open ice by getting in a scrum with him.

I wonder what Scott Stevens thinks of the League today.
This.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:56 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Rinaldo played a little over 1 min.....had exactly 2 shifts after the hit....one in which he turtled....how is any of it gonna get "handled" in that situation??

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:57 AM
vindogla

It really all starts with Doughty. He is in Philly, early in the season, first 20 seconds of the game, and he comes across the blueline where there are three Flyers and a defenseman waiting. But he doesn't read it right and Rinaldo swings back and clocks him.

This is the epitomy of being too cocky, too early. Doughty didn't give the game a chance to develop, to take a read, feel the pulse, or whatever. Philly fans were chanting at the top of their lungs and he wanted to maybe quiet them down, I don't know, but he will learn from this one I'm sure.

He had Penner waiting at the blueline for the pass and Richards was crisscrossing at the near side at the blueline so if he makes a passing play instead of a selfish attempt to make a splash he would have had an effective entrance into the zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9WOqZnbmv8

^This is the 1:29 version with fight replay and comments^

And, as has been pointed out properly, Penner has to respond to an open ice hit on their #1 D-man, as he is the first and closest to Rinaldo and then all bets are off and injuries could occur, etc.

So really, all the sour grapes against Penner are unwarranted. He is playing his second game of the season after having LBI issues for the first two and already we're going to the guillotine with his head???

1) I loved his clear the crease interference penalty in the Jersey game, it had to be done.

2) I loved his IMMEDIATE response to the hit on Doughty, it had to be done.

3) Sometimes these types of actions have consequences, such as penalties and injuries, but in both cases they HAD to be done for the team.

If his knee hurts, his knee hurts, and I can see from the video how he came down twisting onto his right knee if you pause it enough.

vindogla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:08 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Mike Richards hit on Voracek was nearly identical but Voracek wasn't skating nearly as fast so the collision wasn't as bad. Cristiano Rinaldo left his feet after the hit was made. It looked dirty to me at first but it was a clean hit.
Look at the 51- and/or 58- second mark of this video and tell me he didn't leave his feet before the hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9WOqZnbmv8

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Does anyone remember Malkin's elbow on Simmonds, which went unresponded to? Well, I do, and I would rather see Penner be overaggressive and take on the offender than see him be soft and do nothing because maybe something wrong didn't happen.

There are some guys on this team who the other players cannot allow to be hit like that without doing something in response. Kopitar and Doughty in particular. Did Rinaldo or really anyone else on the Flyers hit a King like that again in this game? No. It worked.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Does anyone remember Malkin's elbow on Simmonds, which went unresponded to? Well, I do, and I would rather see Penner be overaggressive and take on the offender than see him be soft and do nothing because maybe something wrong didn't happen.

There are some guys on this team who the other players cannot allow to be hit like that without doing something in response. Kopitar and Doughty in particular.
I definitely remember that and still detest Malkin for it. But I swear Ivanans went after him...

Just looked and Ratis went for him after the game. But its nice to see someone defend a teammate right after it happened.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:31 AM
markisonfire

****ing Rinaldo took out our best defenseman and our top line left wing. Go back to Real Madrid, punk.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:04 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post

There are some guys on this team who the other players cannot allow to be hit like that without doing something in response. Kopitar and Doughty in particular. Did Rinaldo or really anyone else on the Flyers hit a King like that again in this game? No. It worked.
Except this was a clean, open ice hit at the begining of the game, not an elbow in the final seconds of a 4-1 (if I remember correctly) game. I'm not going to **** on Penner for what he did, it's nice to see him show some emotion and use his size a bit, but the fights after clean hits is annoying. As for the "left his feet" thing, I don't think he did. He was coming up when he made the hit, but he was still on the ice when contact was made.

As for the injury, I've been there. Doctors telling you there's nothing wrong, but it hurts anyway. I sprained my shoulder and the doctor told me it should be fine in about a week and 10 days later I can still barely move the damn thing and it hurt for a month. Obviously he's not seeing the doctors I went to, but if his knee hurts, it hurts, I don't think he's staying out for no reason.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:43 AM
AreYouHockey

So is this a serious injury?

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
So is this a serious injury?
Hey Marmaduke, keep your fantasy league questions in that thread and stop polluting this one.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Hey Marmaduke, keep your fantasy league questions in that thread and stop polluting this one.
Name of this thread:Penner out of practice early (injury from fight with Rinaldo)

My question: So is this a serious injury?

Your arrogant useless answer: Hey Marmaduke, keep your fantasy league questions in that thread and stop polluting this one.

My question: So is this a serious injury?

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
And you are asking for your Fantasy League.
Ask it here
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...7#post38061047

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
And you are asking for your Fantasy League.
Ask it here
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...7#post38061047
OK so I'll ask....is it a serious injury?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDankness View Post
OK so I'll ask....is it a serious injury?
No, he's playing tonight.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote