HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Might we be seeing a trade soon?

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Might we be seeing a trade soon?

http://canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/es.es-10-28-0085.html

According to Winter, Lowe is making "increased efforts to work on a trade".

This is the impression I got: Lowe has a potential deal in the works, but wanted to wait it out to see if other options presented themselves or another team would enter the bidding. However, Winter is getting tired of being brushed off, so he plays the 'Comrie press conference' card in order to get things moving. Since Lowe doesn't want anything scaring off other teams, he asks Winter to give him some space so Lowe can close this transaction.

I'm thinking (hoping?) we won't need to wait too much longer to get a resolution to this mess one way or the other.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:17 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
http://canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/es.es-10-28-0085.html

According to Winter, Lowe is making "increased efforts to work on a trade".

This is the impression I got: Lowe has a potential deal in the works, but wanted to wait it out to see if other options presented themselves or another team would enter the bidding. However, Winter is getting tired of being brushed off, so he plays the 'Comrie press conference' card in order to get things moving. Since Lowe doesn't want anything scaring off other teams, he asks Winter to give him some space so Lowe can close this transaction.

I'm thinking (hoping?) we won't need to wait too much longer to get a resolution to this mess one way or the other.
Well we have a 5 day gap between Saturdays game and Thursdays game seems like a good time for a trade a little get acquanted time.

Old
10-28-2003, 12:32 AM
Boondock Saint

While I am hoping that something happens sooner, rather than later, I am preparing to be disappointed with the return.

The majority of posters here, I feel, have been overly optimistic about the return that we could fetch for Comrie.

#1. This contract dispute will diminish the return. Say what you want, "It's not a money issue, it's a philosophical difference between KLo and Mikey."

Well, Rich, I'm sure this is not the first time that a player and GM haven't seen eye to eye. In fact, not even Iron Mike ran into this type of conflict in his days upstairs.

Even if Mike being a spoiled little brat has nothing to do with the dispute, this, at the very least, brings up some character issues about him not being able to handle pressure.

#2. I some some eerie resemblences between Mikey and Marc Savard. Granted Mikey is obviously the better player and the situation is somewhat different. But still, I hear Ruslan Zanuillin whispering somewhere in the back of my head.

#3. Edmonton cannot add a lot of salary in this deal. While we undoubtedly have some wiggle room in the budget, I cannot foresee the Oilers adding a player who is making 4 mil +. This means that our trading partner will probably be adding some salary. The thing is, I don't see many teams that have the capability to add salary with an open spot on lines #1 or #2. Mike's skill set would obviously have no place on a 3rd or 4th line.

As much as I would love to see Chistov, Vasicek + Vrbata, Weiss + d prospect, Stefan + d prospect, I don't think that Comrie will be enough. I think that something significant would have to be going the other way to complete these deals.

Here' to hoping KLo proves me wrong.....

Old
10-28-2003, 12:33 AM
G DIDDY

vCash:
What would you want in return for a guy like Mike Comrie. And which team would you think might go after him.

Closed Thread