HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Memory of Rick Rypien: 1984 - 2011

Old
10-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
That was a very cool ceremony in Winnipeg remembering Ryp. Good job.
Got a little choked up there.

So glad it was at least Winnipeg he signed with because in any other city other than Vancouver, there probably wouldn't have been any ceremony for him.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 05:58 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
That's a great article, both sad and amazing all at once.

It also really shows how much we as fans just don't see. I gained a ton of respect for Kevin Bieksa the person after reading that.
Agreed. Juice and Zinger were so close to Ryp and would have done anything to ensure he was safe. It's touching how much of a family True North was to him. There was so much going on behind the scenes that people never see. I hope Gillis and co. are able to carry on that message and make sure others get the help they need, just like Ryp would have wanted the people he confided in to do.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
biturbo19

I usually think those pregame video montage ceremonies are boring, lame, cheesy, etc. But tonight, the Winnipeg tribute legitimately moved me.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:17 AM
CanucksOo

Bieksa considered Rypien a brother and stayed with Bieksa during his first leave of absence. There will be a ceremony before the Rangers game tomorrow. Still in shock that Rypien isn't with us anymore...

Quote:
Kevin Bieksa had two brothers when he was growing up. Then he met Rick Rypien and had three.

The last time Bieksa spoke with Rypien, a month after Rick had left the Vancouver Canucks to sign with the Winnipeg Jets, they discussed how strange it would be to play against each other in March and joked about fighting at centre ice at Rogers Arena.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/R...#ixzz1b6UBY9Cq

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:23 AM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Bieksa considered Rypien as a brother and he actually stayed with Bieksa during his first leave of absence. There will be a ceremony before the Rangers game tomorrow. Still in shock that Rypien isn't with us anymore...

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/R...#ixzz1b6UBY9Cq
I really liked the story, but the writing in that article was painfully melodramatic.

This, IMO, is the most important part of the piece:

Quote:
Bieksa is emphatic that Rypien loved his role in hockey and fighting had nothing to do with his mental challenges. He said Rypienís illness was too complicated to be explained by one event or circumstance, such as the car-accident death nearly a decade ago of Rypienís girlfriend or the constant stream of injuries that slowed his NHL career.
I hate it when people try to distill complex medical issues, like long-term depression, into simple explanation (ie the articles I've read about Rypien that claim his illness was 100% the result of his girlfriends death).

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote