HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs pursuing Brenden Morrow

Old
10-17-2011, 11:30 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
One thing I have learned from Burke/Nonis trades, there are rarely leaks and they are usually players out of left field.
Agree with this. I doubt it happens. Burke seems to be tight lipped when it comes to trades. If he makes a move, we won't see it coming.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Can the media please wait til Connelly actually plays a game before guessing on who his replacement will be.

I am not a leafs fan, but seriously, he may be injured, but Connelly is 1c material.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
It's not like Morrow has a bad contract, on the other hand he actually has a great contract at only $4.1M/year. Dallas could take salary back to make a deal work in any case.
Due to the fact that the guy is an amazing player on a relatively cap friendly deal and is NOT simply a rental player, he could fetch a very hefty return for Dallas should they choose to trade him away.
Depends on if they get an owner by the end of the season, and how much money he wants to waste on cap dumps

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:45 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frea_K View Post
Can the media please wait til Connelly actually plays a game before guessing on who his replacement will be.

I am not a leafs fan, but seriously, he may be injured, but Connelly is 1c material.

it's kind of obvious you're not a leafs fan.

morrow would replace lupul.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:49 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Wow.

So he's pursuing one of the best leaders and 2-way centermen in the game?

Imagine that.

Doesn't this fall somewhere between publicly admitting he was going for Tavares, when all he was offering were scrubs and AHLers?

Posters like this make HF for me.

Morrow isn't a centreman and neither of us know what Burke offered... But I can assure you he wouldn't have wasted his time offering what you suggested.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Depends on if they get an owner by the end of the season, and how much money he wants to waste on cap dumps
Dallas is already in bankruptcy court. Things will be wrapped up in the next 6 weeks and the Stars will have an owner by the end of November. Secondly, if Dallas did trade Morrow they would have to take back salary in order to stay above the cap floor.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:02 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
No way, Kulemin pretty much is Morrow besides the experience and leadership, plus if we didn't move kuli for Richards no way he goes for Morrow
So Kulemin is basically Brendan Morrow without experience and leadership....I've read it all now.

You may possibly have meant that Kulemin plays the role that Morrow would...maybe...

Or that Toronto isn't quite at the stage to be trading young talent and draft picks for veterans...

but...any team looking for the best chance to win now, and win in the playoffs adds Morrow over Kulemin IMO..

Morrow's skill and intangibles far outweighs Kulemin's potential....

Honestly the deal would likely be built around Kadri, a defensive prospect, and a 1st...IF Dallas was taking offers....I dont see Burke trading youth or high picks, so he wont be getting Morrow.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:24 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Uh, in his decade-plus career, Morrow has just two seasons with more goals than Kulemin had last year with 30. And he clocked that in his second year in the league.

You're not talking about a lot of ifs when it comes to Kulemin. He's a very solid, very good NHLer right now, and he's only 25. He'll never be as big of an impact player as Morrow, but come on, dumping on the guy as some kind of iffy prospect is just stupid. So yeah, I'd much prefer this deal center around Kadri and a first. It'd be tough to deal Kulemin for anything short of a young 1C.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Morrow has a NTC and likes it in Dallas.

Dallas might be a playoff team this year, why rebuild?

The Stars would have to take back the equivalent in salary to stay above the cap floor.

Trading Morrow signifies more of a rebuild than a retooling. along with the cap dumps that put us over the cap floor, we would be looking for 1st round picks and top tier prospects for him. I doubt Burke wants to give up another 1st.

It's just not feasible at this time. Maybe after we get a new owner and are tanking down the stretch.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:28 AM
VanJaysFan*

Good luck outbidding the Canucks and probably 5+ other teams that will actually make the playoffs.

VanJaysFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:31 AM
zombiekopitor
i am lorde, ya ya ya

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Agree with this. I doubt it happens. Burke seems to be tight lipped when it comes to trades. If he makes a move, we won't see it coming.
He's actually very vocal and public when he's shopping a player

if you wouldn't trade Kulemin for Morrow you are effin crazy, Morrow makes the leafs a legit playoff contender and he still has a solid 5 years in him ,dude is a tank.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:34 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

If Morrow is on the block (I doubt it), then there will be a long list of teams that would be interested, and in that situation, Toronto would not be able to out-bid for his services.

Morrow is a win-now player... he brings the type of intangibles and experience that Cup contenders overpay for. There will be better teams that would be willing to give up much more to add a player like him for a Cup run, than Toronto would be willing to pay at this stage in that team's development.

A team like Washington, Vancouver, SJ, Chicago, etc would give up a huge amount for him - they are all top contenders that would overpay for that playoff impact. Toronto is still a team that is trying to become a top contender... they need to first be a playoff contender and such teams aren't going to give up a huge amount to add an aging impact player, who's biggest value is in the playoffs.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:36 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

also, i`m pursuing the smoking hot blonde who lives down the hall.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:37 AM
FakeKidPoker*

A big salary would need to go back for Dallas to make the salary cap floor.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
also, i`m pursuing the smoking hot blonde who lives down the hall.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
If Morrow is on the block (I doubt it), then there will be a long list of teams that would be interested, and in that situation, Toronto would not be able to out-bid for his services.

Morrow is a win-now player... he brings the type of intangibles and experience that Cup contenders overpay for. There will be better teams that would be willing to give up much more to add a player like him for a Cup run, than Toronto would be willing to pay at this stage in that team's development.

A team like Washington, Vancouver, SJ, Chicago, etc would give up a huge amount for him - they are all top contenders that would overpay for that playoff impact. Toronto is still a team that is trying to become a top contender... they need to first be a playoff contender and such teams aren't going to give up a huge amount to add an aging impact player, who's biggest value is in the playoffs.
Bang on. Toronto isn't at the stage where they should be trading significant assets for a guy like Morrow with limited term and productive years left to try and help put them over the top cause this is not the season where they are a true contender yet.

If Morrow were to be traded the discussion would probably open up with at least:
Either a 1st rounder or Kadri
Plus another decent prospect like Aulie or Blacker

I'd have no problem giving up any of those assets plus even more for a younger power forward such as Dubinsky, E. Kane or Berglund though.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

As mentioned Dallas would need to take salary back which makes for the biggest hurdle in the deal as it would likely be lateral at best for Dallas.

If I'm Dallas I ask for Biggs +

I'm not sure why Dallas would trade Morrow but Biggs at least projects to be somewhat of a Morrow type although he has started slowly in college.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:26 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
As mentioned Dallas would need to take salary back which makes for the biggest hurdle in the deal as it would likely be lateral at best for Dallas.

If I'm Dallas I ask for Biggs +

I'm not sure why Dallas would trade Morrow but Biggs at least projects to be somewhat of a Morrow type although he has started slowly in college.
lol, it would take way more that biggs + to get morrow. any deal where morrow goes to the leafs would not have biggs as the main piece.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
Morrow has a NTC and likes it in Dallas.

Dallas might be a playoff team this year, why rebuild?

The Stars would have to take back the equivalent in salary to stay above the cap floor.

Trading Morrow signifies more of a rebuild than a retooling. along with the cap dumps that put us over the cap floor, we would be looking for 1st round picks and top tier prospects for him. I doubt Burke wants to give up another 1st.

It's just not feasible at this time. Maybe after we get a new owner and are tanking down the stretch.
Counter proposal.

TOR:
Morrow

DAL:
Schenn
MLSE buys up the Stars cause lord knows they have the money
Komisarek

:3

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:42 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post

Pretty much. If Morrow were made available the true contenders would undoubtedly be quite interested, interested to the point where the haul would be quite substantial due to the bidding among each other. I could see all of the teams you mentioned extremely interested, maybe with Chicago being least among them. Washington's riches in terms of prospects and draft picks (Colorado's 1st) would have to put them at the top of the class.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:50 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
If we trade Morrow, we'll be listening to offers for literally every player we have over the age of 29.

I'd entertain offers starting around Kulemin+ if I were Joe.
But Joe is a little more realistic there is no way Burke moves Kulemin for Morrow not after a 30 goal year last year the age is also a factor

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:10 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I can't see Dallas trading him unless Toronto is overpaying. I think it's possible that Toronto has interest get getting Morrow, but Dallas lacks interest in moving him.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Would hate to lose Morrow, but if he is indeed being shopped around, and Joe and Brian are in talks, I'd like to see Schenn involved somehow.

10-18-2011, 02:48 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Would rather try to package him to Washington for Kuznetsov. Leafs wouldn't be able to match the offers of the big boys like has been said.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:53 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

I'd do it if kulemin or schenn were involved

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote