HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will Schenn be recalled?

View Poll Results: When will Schenn be called up again?
After the first game 11 20.37%
Before game 10 26 48.15%
After more than 10 games are played 12 22.22%
Not before someone is injured 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Having Rinaldo as our 13th, and putting Schenn in will put up our offense and defense, mainly because he is obviously much better than Rinaldo. Just saying.
Right but i don't want a damn good young rookie in Reed or a seasoned good NHL player in Hartnell rotting on the 4th line. Its not that easy. Put X player in because y player is better. Rinaldo is playing a 4th line role. Reed and Hartnell are not 4th line players.

There is not enough ice time for all these skilled guys.

I don't see Schenn getting called up soon unless Couturier gets sent back to junior.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:14 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Right but i don't want a damn good young rookie in Reed or a seasoned good NHL player in Hartnell rotting on the 4th line. Its not that easy. Put X player in because y player is better. Rinaldo is playing a 4th line role. Reed and Hartnell are not 4th line players.

There is not enough ice time for all these skilled guys.

I don't see Schenn getting called up soon unless Couturier gets sent back to junior.
The thing is, with Read, Talbot and Nodl as a 4th line, I don't even think it should be called a 4th line considering the threat.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The thing is, with Read, Talbot and Nodl as a 4th line, I don't even think it should be called a 4th line considering the threat.
Waste of Reads talents being paired with them IMO. I like Rinaldo in that place just because they are all good skaters and all of them are good forecheckers. Offensively Read is farther along then Couturier and Schenn.

They will continue to be patient with Schenn until they figure out what they do with Couturier.

A great luxury to have IMO.

Old
10-18-2011, 08:14 AM
FlyersFan61290

I think if Schenn gets the opportunity to play at this level we'll see he's actually better then Read now

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:04 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I think if Schenn gets the opportunity to play at this level we'll see he's actually better then Read now
Poor Read. Does really well his first 4 games and people still dont want him on the team. I doubt they send Read down though. He is on 2nd pk and 1 pp.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:10 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Poor Read. Does really well his first 4 games and people still dont want him on the team. I doubt they send Read down though. He is on 2nd pk and 1 pp.
I think that he was more talking about having Read on the 4th line. I was up for that as well, but if Read continues like this I'd rather see Couturier (or Schenn) on that line. If we continue rolling the four lines like we've done there's no harm in having one of them playing there while seeing some pk time as well perhaps/probably.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:13 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I think that he was more talking about having Read on the 4th line. I was up for that as well, but if Read continues like this I'd rather see Couturier (or Schenn) on that line. If we continue rolling the four lines like we've done there's no harm in having one of them playing there while seeing some pk time as well perhaps/probably.
Ya, my reply is kind of the same along those lines. I cant remember a team playing their 4th line LW on the pp.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I don't think what FlyersFan was saying is a shot at Read at all. Schenn is widely held as a top five prospect and is pretty much tearing up the AHL right (I know it's early). I think Read is doing a great job for the Flyers, but I'd still like to see Schenn play and think he'd do at least as good as Read has done. Hopefully we get to find out soon.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:26 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think what FlyersFan was saying is a shot at Read at all. Schenn is widely held as a top five prospect and is pretty much tearing up the AHL right (I know it's early). I think Read is doing a great job for the Flyers, but I'd still like to see Schenn play and think he'd do at least as good as Read has done. Hopefully we get to find out soon.
And thats fine. But Read is doing well. You just dont "demote" him to the 4th line hoping your 20 yr old prospect can do well, when Read HAS done well. I am on the side of Couturier playing the 4th line center spot. It doesnt hurt prospects. Bruins did it with Seguin last season.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

SMH.

No NHL team plays their young promising prospects on the 4th line.

Waste of talent as they don't get ice time to improve their game.

You will never see Couts, Read, or Schenn on the 4th line.

This is not fantasy hockey.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:32 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
SMH.

Yet Seguin was on the 4th line for parts of last season?

Then... dont call Schenn up until we trade someone or someone in the top 9 gets injured

Old
10-18-2011, 09:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
SMH.

I could see Read on the fourth line. Despite his early success, I don't think anyone really is expecting him to be anything more than a third liner with a shot at maybe being a second liner. Putting him, as a 25 year old rookie on the fourth line isn't going to hurt his development. I do agree that it would not be a good move to put Couturier or Schenn on the fourth line, though.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
And thats fine. But Read is doing well. You just dont "demote" him to the 4th line hoping your 20 yr old prospect can do well, when Read HAS done well. I am on the side of Couturier playing the 4th line center spot. It doesnt hurt prospects. Bruins did it with Seguin last season.
Seguin played on the third line.

He averaged 13mins a game.

He pretty much worked on the defensive aspect of his game last year. It paid off for him as he looks well seasoned this year.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:35 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I could see Read on the fourth line. Despite his early success, I don't think anyone really is expecting him to be anything more than a third liner with a shot at maybe being a second liner. Putting him, as a 25 year old rookie on the fourth line isn't going to hurt his development. I do agree that it would not be a good move to put Couturier or Schenn on the fourth line, though.
Being 25 yrs old has nothing to do with this matter. Like I said, have you ever seen someone play on the first powerplay unit and 4th line LW? I will be highly surprised if Read plays on the 4th line. And its not about early expectations. Lavy has shown, if you can put up points, you will play. In this case Read has 2 points in 4 games.

Quote:

He pretty much worked on the defensive aspect of his game last year. It paid off for him as he looks well seasoned this year.
Before Dobberhockey went to pay to review, it showed that Seguin played around 3-5% of the time on the 4th line. Thats a good chunk (it shows linemmates). Checked it for an argument during the summer.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Grinders like Talbot need to be on the 4th line.

I can honestly sit here and tell you Matt Read has 2nd line potential.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:

Before Dobberhockey went to pay to review, it showed that Seguin played around 3-5% of the time on the 4th line. Thats a good chunk (it shows linemmates). Checked it for an argument during the summer.

3-5% really isn't nothing compared to the other 95% lol.

I'm sure it has to do with other players getting rewarded for playing better then Seguin. Either way putting a young prospect on the 4th line for majority of the season is stupid and it wont happen. Schenn won't be called up until they figure out what they will do with Couts.

Its good for Schenn to get playing time in the AHL to work on ALL areas of his game. Sure we want to see what we got but realistically speaking you all need to be patient. Calling him up will cause nothing but problems. There isn't any room for him right now.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Being 25 yrs old has nothing to do with this matter. Like I said, have you ever seen someone play on the first powerplay unit and 4th line LW? I will be highly surprised if Read plays on the 4th line. And its not about early expectations. Lavy has shown, if you can put up points, you will play. In this case Read has 2 points in 4 games.
I'm not saying they SHOULD do it, I am just saying I don't think it would be bad if they did. I want whoever is playing best to get the most minutes. All I'm saying is that Read on the 4th line is not as bad as Schenn/Couturier on the fourth line.

Quote:
Grinders like Talbot need to be on the 4th line.

I can honestly sit here and tell you Matt Read has 2nd line potential.
Like I said, I'm not saying they should do this. As far as Matt Read's potential, I think he has a chance to be a 2nd liner, but I think third line is more likely. Hopefully we're both wrong and he's a top liner some day. Haha.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:50 AM
mirimon

Quote:
SMH.

Quote:

Plenty of players have started out their careers on the fourth line. We had Carter and Umberger there for the 05-06 season, I think. In that same season Ducks played Perry and Getzlaf a whopping 8.27 and 7.47 minutes per game on even strength.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
3-5% really isn't nothing compared to the other 95% lol.

I'm sure it has to do with other players getting rewarded for playing better then Seguin. Either way putting a young prospect on the 4th line for majority of the season is stupid and it wont happen. Schenn won't be called up until they figure out what they will do with Couts.

Its good for Schenn to get playing time in the AHL to work on ALL areas of his game. Sure we want to see what we got but realistically speaking you all need to be patient. Calling him up will cause nothing but problems. There isn't any room for him right now.
No you misunderstand. What Dobber hockey does is base a percentage of time the player has played with certain teammates. Usually the highest percentage is arond 10-12%. This is due to pp time, pk, players getting injured, lines switching. So if you think of it like that, 5% is ALOT.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Not if you want him to work on his defensive abilities. If he goes to the 4th line it will be he, Nodl, and Talbot. That is not a normal Flyer's 4th line. That line would be used the way Lappy, Betts, and Carcillo were in 2009. They would be the checking line, and he would wind up averaging over 12 minutes a night. He isn't Rinaldo or Shelley, he is going to play more than 5 minutes a night even if he is on he 4th line.

Giving an 18/19 year old kid 12+ minutes a night, top PK time, and situational (late, holding a lead) time is not going to hurt him.

Quote:

He averaged 12 minutes of ice time. Less than Betts, Carcillo, and Lappy did when they were the 4th line.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Plenty of players have started out their careers on the fourth line. We had Carter and Umberger there for the 05-06 season, I think. In that same season Ducks played Perry and Getzlaf a whopping 8.27 and 7.47 minutes per game on even strength.
Wrong.

I'm sure at times in some games they played on the 4th but being consistently on the 4th line?

No.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Wrong.

I'm sure at times in some games they played on the 4th but being consistently on the 4th line?

No.

Carter played 12 minutes a night. Only Brashear and Niko Dimitrakos had less ice time.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Umberger was our 4th line center for about half the season. The Flyers constantly had different players playing the 4th line. Patrick Sharp played it, and also Mike Richards. Just go back to that season on hfboards and look at the GDT.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Not if you want him to work on his defensive abilities. If he goes to the 4th line it will be he, Nodl, and Talbot. That is not a normal Flyer's 4th line. That line would be used the way Lappy, Betts, and Carcillo were in 2009. They would be the checking line, and he would wind up averaging over 12 minutes a night. He isn't Rinaldo or Shelley, he is going to play more than 5 minutes a night even if he is on he 4th line.

Giving an 18/19 year old kid 12+ minutes a night, top PK time, and situational (late, holding a lead) time is not going to hurt him.

He averaged 12 minutes of ice time. Less than Betts, Carcillo, and Lappy did when they were the 4th line.

Couts is already playing that role on the third line........

Betts and Lappy are penalty killers....

Old
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
chsb

Quote:
Yet Seguin was on the 4th line for parts of last season?

Then... dont call Schenn up until we trade someone or someone in the top 9 gets injured
Seguin played 3rd line, not 4th line.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote