HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

something feels a little ''off'' this year...

Old
10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
"Keep It Simple, Stupid"
Hahaha ! Ok...i like !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

The last few seasons had alot of storylines also

the 100th season
the total rebuild
the new captain and the curiosity around Price vs Halak

This season its injuries & Cole. Didnt have the same pizazz.

Coupled with a very lackluster exhibition season, very underwhelming performances and opponents and its a recipe for "meh"

Im still excited, but what bugs me the most is that what plagued us last year will still plague us this year. Lack of size down the middle, on the 4th line and on the back end will be the kryptonite of this team for years to come.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Aarex

Normally im as stoked as I can be for opening day, but honestly I just cant get into it either. Maybe once NFL is done? I dunno but its a weird feeling.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Reading this thread, it sounds like some people would rather watch the Ottawa Senators. They'd rather win fights, than win games.
The last 2 Stanley Cup Winners had a distinct physical component to their games, but let's not let that get in the way of the argument.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

the 100th season
the total rebuild

Coupled with a very lackluster exhibition season, very underwhelming performances and opponents and its a recipe for "meh"

Im still excited, but what bugs me the most is that what plagued us last year will still plague us this year. Lack of size down the middle, on the 4th line and on the back end will be the kryptonite of this team for years to come.
Hopefully guys like Tinordi and Beaulieu will change that.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Stradale

I also kinda agree with this thread but for me, it has a lots to do with JM and his boring system.

Of course they are other things too but watching the Habs is not as excitng as before.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Then we'd lose more games and we'd all probably care even less.
How it that possible? The Habs have lost all but 1 game.. A game where Gomez wasn't even really a factor as the game was 5-1 against the lowly Jets.

FireTherrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:06 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingaran View Post
How it that possible? The Habs have lost all but 1 game.. A game where Gomez wasn't even really a factor as the game was 5-1 against the lowly Jets.
Gomez will get 2 points tonight.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Gomez will get 2 points tonight.
All depends if Gio buries them or not...

Old
10-18-2011, 10:10 AM
LyleOdelein

Last season was an insane year to be a Habs fan. There was so many provocative issues/storylines with last year's team, that it was almost overwhelming.

By the second game of the season last year, we'd seen Price get bashed for months and could now revel in his proving every doubter wrong. We had also watched Cherry kickstart a disgusting and unjustified attack on Subban's character and some of us got dragged into defending PK against the idiots that parroted their senile idol's stupidity. Every month or so some player, coach or analyst would pick the scab on the Subban issue and bring it back to prominence.

We also had the shocking return and re-injury of Markov, which led to the ramping up of our personal bickering. We had the Gorges injury, the Wiz trade, Pacioretty's call-up and great play to keep us occupied through December.

We had a sweet comeback win over the B's in January and an enjoyable experience of seeing Price and Subban at the all-star weekend.

Then all Hell broke loose. The infamous 8-6 game happened and we saw the true rise of the "Toughness Issue". Along with the heightened intensity of the B's rivalry, we had a new divisive argument to take the place of the old omnipresent Price/Halak debate. Then the Pacioretty incident happened and most of us were in a frenzy for the rest of the season.

Add in the fact that the B's went on to eliminate the Habs in game 7 and went on to win the Cup, it's fair to say most of us were engaged throughout the entire year.

We then proceeded to argue the toughness issue, our take on Martin/Gauthier and Markov's health to the point of redundancy over the Summer.

Now we're 4 games into the season and the Habs' start has been pretty uninspiring. We've seen a few injuries, but nothing overly dramatic (I know I breathed a sigh of relief about Cammy). The most provocative debates we have to occupy ourselves in the meantime are about Cole playing 2 periods on the "third line", Eller playing on the wing, Kostitsyn seeing reduced ice-time for one period in the first game (and responding greatly to the message) and Subban's struggles on the point. There's still ongoing arguments about Markov, Martin and toughness, but there hasn't been any new ground uncovered in those debates in months. None of these is particularily interesting or engaging compared to what we saw last year.

I'm not surprised that people are feeling underwhelmed; the least exciting moment of last season was infused with more drama and intrigue than anything we've seen so far this season. That emotional juxtaposition seems to make these days seem more vacant than usual for us Habs fans.

From what I've seen of this team in the past, things won't stay this way all year. Whether it's an in-game incident or the media starts something, it shouldn't be too long before we've forgotten about the relatively boring start.

LyleOdelein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

the 100th season
the total rebuild

very true, there has been a storyline to follow recently, this year it's been nothing positive, just god forsaken injuries...it's OK guys, a 4-5 game win streak will take care of everything!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Last season was an insane year to be a Habs fan. There was so many provocative issues/storylines with last year's team, that it was almost overwhelming.

By the second game of the season last year, we'd seen Price get bashed for months and could now revel in his proving every doubter wrong. We had also watched Cherry kickstart a disgusting and unjustified attack on Subban's character and some of us got dragged into defending PK against the idiots that parroted their senile idol's stupidity. Every month or so some player, coach or analyst would pick the scab on the Subban issue and bring it back to prominence.

We also had the shocking return and re-injury of Markov, which led to the ramping up of our personal bickering. We had the Gorges injury, the Wiz trade, Pacioretty's call-up and great play to keep us occupied through December.

We had a sweet comeback win over the B's in January and an enjoyable experience of seeing Price and Subban at the all-star weekend.

Then all Hell broke loose. The infamous 8-6 game happened and we saw the true rise of the "Toughness Issue". Along with the heightened intensity of the B's rivalry, we had a new divisive argument to take the place of the old omnipresent Price/Halak debate. Then the Pacioretty incident happened and most of us were in a frenzy for the rest of the season.

Add in the fact that the B's went on to eliminate the Habs in game 7 and went on to win the Cup, it's fair to say most of us were engaged throughout the entire year.

We then proceeded to argue the toughness issue, our take on Martin/Gauthier and Markov's health to the point of redundancy over the Summer.

Now we're 4 games into the season and the Habs' start has been pretty uninspiring. We've seen a few injuries, but nothing overly dramatic (I know I breathed a sigh of relief about Cammy). The most provocative debates we have to occupy ourselves in the meantime are about Cole playing 2 periods on the "third line", Eller playing on the wing, Kostitsyn seeing reduced ice-time for one period in the first game (and responding greatly to the message) and Subban's struggles on the point. There's still ongoing arguments about Markov, Martin and toughness, but there hasn't been any new ground uncovered in those debates in months. None of these is particularily interesting or engaging compared to what we saw last year.

I'm not surprised that people are feeling underwhelmed; the least exciting moment of last season was infused with more drama and intrigue than anything we've seen so far this season. That emotional juxtaposition seems to make these days seem more vacant than usual for us Habs fans.

From what I've seen of this team in the past, things won't stay this way all year. Whether it's an in-game incident or the media starts something, it shouldn't be too long before we've forgotten about the relatively boring start.
I have been noticing your posts over the last few weeks and I have to say they've all been really quite excellent. Thought out, well written, composed and level-headed. Pleasure to read.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Last season...
I think the difference this season is people will get more excited as we head along. So many young players on this team who can have an impact with some added experience (Pac-DD-Eller-Pal-White-Subban-Emelin-Diaz-Weber-Price). All those players are still inconsistent and in progression mode.

The bad will come before the good comes, especially with Markov out. But all those situations are of the type that should get better with time. The only risk is further injury. With time, we should see Markov back, we should see some of the youngsters get more stable, we should see Cammy back, Spacek back, and with time, some more added chemistry within the system proned by JM.

I'm just wishing we can get a little over ,500 before all those things fall into place.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:32 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I think the difference this season is people will get more excited as we head along. So many young players on this team who can have an impact with some added experience (Pac-DD-Eller-Pal-White-Subban-Emelin-Diaz-Weber-Price). All those players are still inconsistent and in progression mode.

The bad will come before the good comes, especially with Markov out. But all those situations are of the type that should get better with time. The only risk is further injury. With time, we should see Markov back, we should see some of the youngsters get more stable, we should see Cammy back, Spacek back, and with time, some more added chemistry within the system proned by JM.

I'm just wishing we can get a little over ,500 before all those things fall into place.
I'm with you. With all the injuries and young guys playing, (and I enjoy watching them learn and develop) I'm just hoping we go the next month .500. Then god wiling we'll be mostly healthy, and I expect good things...

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
NHLcrazy

Same here...

I just don't believe the Habs management is really serious about winning anymore... They'll always have their 21,273 fans every game, they know it and don't stress about it. You look at other teams and what they do to always be contenders not just ''oh we made the playoffs! yipee!.

Flyers sign Richards and Carter to very long deals...2 years later they're traded to revamp the team. NYR wanted Richards? they send Redden and McCabe to the minors to save salary cap... Oh not the Habs! we are to ''classy'' for that! Gomez was a disaster since day 1 and after 3 years he's still here floating around, doing nothing collecting his fat juicy checks. No AHL for you gomer.

Other teams (oilers, Colorado etc) are not afraid to dress 18-19 year in the NHL to sparks their fans and it pays up... Oh not the Habs! Our prospects have to play 3 years junior and then 2 years in minors... Tell me Gallagher would do worse than Gomez or Cole right now... I don't think so.

I know what your feeling, it's just every year is a copy form the last it seems. We need a REAL OFFENSIVE star a guy who can pot 40+ goals ,80-90 points. We need excitement!
Since the 1998-99 season (13 years) we had three 30 goal scorers (Zednik, Ryder and Kovy) and 1 guy over 80 points (Kovy). Pathetic.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
JohnLennon

I don't really get how some of you call yourselves fans. I'm loving it so far the season, I love that hockey is back and the Habs have a very solid and competitive team this season. I can't wait to see half the posters in this thread getting all giddy over a win-streak.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Knowing that you agree with this thread and having read what you just wrote, it just solidifies what i wrote above.
To be honest, I have never been as pumped for a season to start as this one. That was, until i saw the first 4 games.

It is clear to me that this team has no identity. Yes, it really sucks to lose Markov and White, and there is no doubt their loss has been a negative impact on our team, but the trend would still be the same with them in the line-up.

Seeing Darche and Desharnais consistently get #1 PP minutes over players like Cole and Kostitsyn is mind boggling. It is as if our coach is trying to lose games. Don't give me this crap about Cole "not being a PP player". I don't buy into that at all. I firmly believe you should play your best players.

You would think DD losing every single face-off would make Martin put Eller back to centre where he belongs.

There is way too many questionable personnel changes on this team.

Couple this with Price returning to his below-average form, and we have a bad hockey club.

Palushaj, Enqvsit and Darche should not be getting regular minutes on ANY NHL club.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
coolasprICE

Many of you brought up the Bruins winning the cup...

I completely forgot to mention that in the OP .. but it is so true and definitely playing a bit of a role.

Them winning simply reinforced what we are not accomplishing... it was just a huge wake-up call for many.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
To be honest, I have never been as pumped for a season to start as this one. That was, until i saw the first 4 games.

It is clear to me that this team has no identity. Yes, it really sucks to lose Markov and White, and there is no doubt their loss has been a negative impact on our team, but the trend would still be the same with them in the line-up.

Seeing Darche and Desharnais consistently get #1 PP minutes over players like Cole and Kostitsyn is mind boggling. It is as if our coach is trying to lose games. Don't give me this crap about Cole "not being a PP player". I don't buy into that at all. I firmly believe you should play your best players.

You would think DD losing every single face-off would make Martin put Eller back to centre where he belongs.

There is way too many questionable personnel changes on this team.

Couple this with Price returning to his below-average form, and we have a bad hockey club.

Palushaj, Enqvsit and Darche should not be getting regular minutes on ANY NHL club.
Nice post, but you must admit you very negative ? When it comes to the Habs.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I don't really get how some of you call yourselves fans. I'm loving it so far the season, I love that hockey is back and the Habs have a very solid and competitive team this season. I can't wait to see half the posters in this thread getting all giddy over a win-streak.
Hey, I really hope it happens, I just don't see how it is possible.

I really don't think we have enough scoring to win us games consistently this year.

Sure, on "paper" we have 3 balanced lines..but once the game starts they are unable to finish the plays off. Through 4 games already, they have failed to capitalize on numerous scoring chances against Toronto and Colorado. The games should have been over after the 1st period.

Instead, we constantly let the teams hang around long enough.

The Montreal Canadiens have no killer instinct.

Quote:
Nice post, but you must admit you very negative ? When it comes to the Habs.
Yes. I am negative this year because of the frustrating changes to our line-up by Martin. I believe with the right line-up, a few tweaks bringing in some grit for our 4th line (2 more Ryan White type players) that we can be a good hockey club.

An effective, gritty, high-energy 4th line that can change the momentum for our team would go a long-way.

I think Martin is the wrong man for the job. Just look at how he is handling Eller, Kostitsyn and Cole.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-18-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: merged
Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

It's because everyone sees the Leafs ahead of the Habs in the standings and they beat them the first game of the year. Give it 2 weeks and all will be right in the world, I promise.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Really ? 1-2-1 is sucking ? I think that moreso the problem is we have WAY to many bandwagon fans. And a lot of them are here at HF.
Kinda getting tired of seeing you dictating and judging who are fans are and what they are like when you know absolutely nothing about them. Maybe these fans have high expectations and are so competitive that they just hate to lose. Ever think of that?..I mean personally I am disappointed but not worried about the team at all. We are getting better every game I think, and I know we will be a playoff team. AHMB you need to think before you try being a no it all.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Jimmym007

FAIL FOR NAIL

New habs motto, and with the 2012 talent depth, this is the only year I couldn't care less if we'd lose every single game in the season.

Then again even with the 1st overall pick habs would still find a way to rank Murphy before Yakupov and draft yet another Dman instead :mad:

Jimmym007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
What Lyle said tbh

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Maxpac

No star, no grit, no fights, no scandals. What do you guys expect? Win or lose, we're the new New Jersey Devils imo. The ultra-boring defensive system and the over-analysis about everything (yeah Mathman, I blame you too!) have litterrally sucked the entertainement right of the game imo. The fans can complain about fights and cheer about eh lengthy suspensions as much as they want, it's starting to prove by itself what it does when you take it out of the game. Regular season no emotion back and forth hockey loses you, period.

Last edited by Maxpac: 10-18-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote