HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#5|Oct 18, 2011|Flyers at Senators|7:30 p.m. ET

Old
10-18-2011, 08:52 AM
CanadianFlyersFan18

vCash: 500
Hoping Bobbbbbb Gets the start here.

4-0 Flyers

Jagr 2, Couts 1, Giroux 1

Here we go FLYERSS

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Jagr with a hatty! Roo with 4 pts! Mesz 2 pts! Bryz with not shutout!

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:05 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
#Flyers have recalled forward Harry Zolnierczyk from their AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, according to GM Paul Holmgren today.
NHLFlyers

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:06 AM
mirimon

Any word on who's out? I guess it means someone is missing the game at least.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
kimmofan44

i'm hoping for a lot less penalty time tonight, and i'm feeling a jagr pp goal. if bob gets the start i think he comes up big going 27 for 29. i think coutier gets his first big boy goal tonight, and simonds sets someone up with an easy goal ala a screen. hartnel will remain invisible, g and jvr continue to impress. flyers win 4 to 2 with the game never swaying the sens way. what do you guys think?? i'd love some comments! lets go flyers!!!!

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:16 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Any word on who's out? I guess it means someone is missing the game at least.
Edit: Coburn is with the team. Holmgren called the promotion "a precaution."

Double edit: From Sam @ the Inq.:
Quote:
One of the #Flyers, believed to be Nodl, has a nagging injury, which is why Harry Z is here as a precaution.

The only horse to win the Florida Derby, the Kentucky Derby and Breeders Cup Classic. Sire to multiple Grade 1 champions. The last horse to sire a winner in each Triple Crown race. Grandsire to American Pharoah.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-18-2011 at 10:17 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
flyersfan420

lets go flyers!! 2 points tonight!!

flyersfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

I see a 4-2 Flyers. Jagr with 1, Read with 1, JVR with 1 and Simmonds.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
RT @tpanotchCSN: BOB will start against Sens.

RT @tpanotchCSN: Nodl is sore which is why Harry Z is here

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

I'm looking forward to this game. Two of the most glaring problems of last year's team was 1-playing erratic during uneven stretches of the schedule and long lay-offs and 2-playing to the level of our competition or better yet being outworked and out-hustled by below .500 teams.

Lavi should have been been able to get in 2 good practices since the Kings loss and I'm confident special teams were the focus and hopefully positional play or lack thereof has been tweaked.

The Flyers are obviously finding their way regarding team chemistry but it was encouraging to see better games for Briere and Pronger. I'm not sure if Jagr's sick but his less than stellar conditioning/age shows by the 3rd. This could be a breakout game for JvR tonight. This is a team and defence corps that he could dominate.

It'd be a good game to start Bobrovsky.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...inst-senators/

Quote:
Bobrovsky Gets The Nod Against Senators
Sergei Bobrovsky has manned the bench for Ilya Bryzgalov through the first four games. The second-year goalie was phenomenal in the preseason.

Quietly, patiently, Sergei Bobrovsky has waited his turn. On Tuesday he will get his first start of the season against the Ottawa Senators, Peter Laviolette announced. He will face Ottawa backup Alex Auld according to the Ottawa Citizen.

The Flyers however, don’t look at the 23-year-old as a backup to Ilya Bryzgalov statistically speaking. In terms of the numbers they can post, they look at the tandem as 1 and 1a. In the preseason, “Bob” was lights out, allowing one goal in three games. But Bryzgalov is expected to carry a heavy load, so how does Laviolette know when to put Bobrovsky in?

“I think you just look at the calendar and you find time and spots,” said Laviolette after Monday’s practice. “He had a great training camp. Both goaltenders have played very well. At some point we’ll get him going.”

That point is now against a team that has limped out of the gate with a 1-4-0 start in its first five games.

“I’m ready for every game,” said Bobrovsky who added that he had stayed sharp with, “just hard work and that’s it. Keep honest.”

For those that remain from last year’s roster, playing in front of Bobrovsky is nothing new. He had a 28-13-8 record in his rookie year. Despite those who say the Flyers actually play better in front of Bobrovsky, Matt Carle says it doesn’t matter who’s between the pipes.

“With as many goaltending changes as we’ve had over the last few years I think if anything we’ve learned to deal with multiple guys back there,” said Carle. “The two guys we have now we have all the confidence in the world in and I think there were times last year where Bob probably played a little too much.

“I think when he gets in there now, you know he’s gonna be focused 100 percent on whatever game he gets the chance to play in and the same with Bryz. Bryz is an All-Star goalie in this league and we have all the confidence in the world in both of them.”

Bobrovsky has been working on his English, but says he didn’t take classes. He learned by watching TV and talking to his teammates in the locker room. But whether he’s chatting or practicing, it’s clear the work ethic is there for Bobrovsky to not only improve with the native tongue, but to stay sharp on the ice.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:26 AM
ORYX

I'm hoping to see some life out of hartnell tonight. Even if it isnt a goal, take someone good to the box, deliver a/some energy hits, make a big defensive play.

Something, anything....please.

Would love to see Bob get the shutout, if the guys infront of him play solid team defense it is entirely possible as Ottawa has only a couple real offensive talents in Spezza and Alfie, everyone else is average at best at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they couldn't or wont score, but neutralizing those two will go a long was towards minimizing any offense ottawa generates.

Oh yea, and that Karlsson kid too....Rinaldo, do that big hit thing you do....I kid, try not to hurt anyone.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Gert B Frobe

I would love to see Hartnell show up and play like a guy what makes - let's say - $2 million. Is that asking too much?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://twitter.com/#!/tpanotchCSN/st...20589114834944

Jason Smith sitting with Homer... wonder if he is looking into working with the Flyers. Would love him in our front office or as a consultant or actually anything... great player and great leader would only help our young kids out

EDIT: Damnit forgot the game was in Ottawa tonight. Probably just catching up with old friends

Last edited by Prongo: 10-18-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Flamingo

I heard tell of Smith helping out with our AHL affiliate in Binghamton.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
kimmofan44

i'm really set on a solid 27 for 29 game from bob, not really feeling a shutout but i do feel that he will have a steller sophmore year now that the pressure is off him a little. whats everyyoe else think?

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
i'm really set on a solid 27 for 29 game from bob, not really feeling a shutout but i do feel that he will have a steller sophmore year now that the pressure is off him a little. whats everyyoe else think?
**** that

shutout!

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
I heard tell of Smith helping out with our AHL affiliate in Binghamton.
Thats great, guy was an all heart and soul player and like that he is staying within the game. Im sure he has a lot of knowledge to teach

Old
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Matt Walker will replace Lilja for tonight's game.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Prongo
Beer

Matt Walker is in tonight for Andread Lilja!! yes!! this is his test to see if he stays with the flyers or is sent down to free up 1.7 in cap space(not just this game but a couple hopefully). Thats when I think we could actually see Schenn get called up. If and only if Walker plays himself out of the 7th dman spot

Old
10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Matt Walker is in tonight for Andread Lilja!! yes!! this is his test to see if he stays with the flyers or is sent down to free up 1.7 in cap space(not just this game but a couple hopefully). Thats when I think we could actually see Schenn get called up. If and only if Walker plays himself out of the 7th dman spot
I don't see the two as related, though I can see where you would make that argument as far as the salary cap is concerned.

Schenn isn't up because there is no where for him to play. That won't change unless a top-9 forward gets hurt or traded, IMO.

At that point, of course, some other move might need to be made to address the cap issue, but I can't see where Walker going down leads to Schenn getting called up.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't see the two as related, though I can see where you would make that argument as far as the salary cap is concerned.

Schenn isn't up because there is no where for him to play. That won't change unless a top-9 forward gets hurt or traded, IMO.

At that point, of course, some other move might need to be made to address the cap issue, but I can't see where Walker going down leads to Schenn getting called up.
I kinda only meant it revolving around the Salary Cap. With Walker off the team it would just be that much easier to call up Schenn when a player gets injured or isnt playing well down the line

Old
10-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

I like it. Rest Bryz a little and give Bob time, and rest Lilja who is old.

10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I like it. Rest Bryz a little and give Bob time, and rest Lilja who is old.
Isn't it funny how much older athletes look and seem when they get into their late 30's, than non athletes? I feel like Timonen is 53 years old, but he's only my brother's age.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Isn't it funny how much older athletes look and seem when they get into their late 30's, than non athletes? I feel like Timonen is 53 years old, but he's only my brother's age.
Willie Mays in the 1973 World Series is a textbook example of athletes aging not-so gracefully. Viewers were actually sympathetic because of his play and media members cited it. He retired after that Series. It probably doesn't resonate in contemporary discussions but for subject matter in a historic context, there are few examples more prominent considering the center stage of the event.