HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G John Gibson (2011, 39th overall, Anaheim)

Old
11-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
G John Gibson (2011, 39th overall, Anaheim)

Never seen him play, what do you think of him? Goalie for the U18 team in the USHL.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 03:39 PM
JeffYear92*

He is property of the Kitchener Rangers

Just saying

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 01:45 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

John Gibson, G - US NDTP, USHL (#1 CSS Ranked NA-G)

John Gibson, USA U-18, USHL
Position: Goalie | Catches: Left
6' 3" | 205 lbs | Born: July 14, 1993, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Stats

CSS Rankings (NA-G)
Fnl: 1 | Mid: 1

USA Today Scouting Report

Gibson is 6-3 with quick feet and good reads to get into position to use his size to his advantage. "In addition to having size, Gibson displays a high level of athleticism and flexibility," said U.S. national team goaltending coach Joe Exter. "Outside of the crease, he plays the puck effectively. In addition to this, he displays a calm demeanor between the pipes."

CSS Scout Al Jenson

Goalie John Gibson is beginning to earn a reputation similar to his predecessor at the United States National Team Developmental Program, Jack Campbell. Gibson is calm and composed even in the most pressure-packed moments of a game, just as Campbell was and still is for the U.S. on an international level. Campbell then went on to be the first U.S.-born player drafted last June -- taken at No. 11 by the Dallas Stars.

Now, just as Campbell was at this time one season ago, Gibson is the No. 1-rated player at his position on the NHL Central Scouting's mid-term ranking of the best North American goalies, released Monday. The 17-year-old was listed as the top goalie in the United States Hockey League by Central Scouting when they released their preliminary rankings of draft-eligible prospects in November.

"John has great net coverage and size (6-foot-3, 200 pounds), and is very strong," NHL Central Scouting goalie guru Al Jensen told NHL.com. "He's sound technically, moves very well laterally and is controlled. He's calm, not busy." While Gibson and Campbell are poised under pressure, Jensen said he sees different styles between the two. "Campbell is the more the quick, athletic type and Gibson is the more a controlled, strong positional type," Jensen said. "Both do have good size -- I like how strong Gibson is."

McKeen's Interview

McKeen's: Just before Christmas, you committed to the University of Michigan. If I might ask, what other programs were recruiting you and what made you decide on Michigan in the end?

Gibson: There were quite a few schools that were recruiting me, and also Kitchener of the OHL was recruiting me a lot. At the end of the day, it came down to that I wanted to go to school and I decided that if I want to go to school, I want to go a place where I can play as a freshman and help lead the team to victory as a true freshman. Michigan and coach Red Berenson have always been a one-goalie guy. I went in and I really like him a lot. He said he was going to give me a shot to play as a freshman and that's all I can ask for, and then I have to trust my abilities will lead to success when I go in there.

McKeen's: If we assume, considering your current ranking, that you're an early round pick in the NHL Entry Draft, and I think that's safe to assume, do you anticipate any pressure from NHL teams to go the major junior route instead?

Gibson: Mmmm, I'm sure there might be some type of pressure and everything, but also at the same time I know a lot of NHL teams expect goalies to develop longer and take a couple more years to develop. Therefore, if I were to go to major juniors, I'd only have one year, or two, whereas in college I can have four years and work from there, or I can always leave early. I don't think they'd have a problem with me committing to Michigan or going to Michigan. It's one of the top programs in the nation. It has a good reputation, and I'd be playing games, so I think they'd be fine with it.

Michigan Head coach Red Berenson

“John has a chance to be a big-time goalie,” said Berenson. “He’s one of those oversized goalies. I’ve always liked big goalies and yet we’ve seen recently that Shawn Hunwick has been a terrific goalie for Michigan. John will give us that different dimension. Definitely he can stop the puck. He has a good track record coming in and he should be an all-star goalie at Michigan.”

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 05-24-2011 at 05:55 PM.
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:12 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

E-Mac's unique name for Gibson - "The Shot Buster"!
{Profile link}

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
I kind of what the Avs to either draft him at 11 or trade back a few spots and snag him there. The best goalie out there this year.

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Don't be surprised if he's taken in the 1st round.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I kind of what the Avs to either draft him at 11 or trade back a few spots and snag him there. The best goalie out there this year.
Toronto will trade you pick 25 and 39 or 25 and 29-30

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Toronto will trade you pick 25 and 39 or 25 and 29-30
We're looking around 14th-18th, but 11th for 25th, 29th, and 5th rounder would get a serious look from me.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Regina Pat
Keep Kadri

I think he'll be a First rounder this year, but no way Avs take him at 11. I actually don't think they'll take him at all. All ready have Calvin Pickard.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:17 PM
James Franco

I heard he committed to U of Michigan. Is this true?

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

John Gibson

I'm looking for some information on this promising Ducks goalie prospect. He's come in, as a rookie to the OHL and is putting up fantastic numbers so far for Kitchener. Unlike many goalies before him, it seems like he's adapting to the CHL just fine. I'd love to hear what Ranger's fans think of this kid and what his strengths/flaws are.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:31 AM
wej20

I suggest checking the Official Kitchener Rangers thread on the OHL board.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
FrozenJagrt

The team is not as strong as it was a few years ago. I'm so relieved whenever he gets the start. Does that mean anything?

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd suggest this is a prospect forum and I'm inquiring about a prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
The team is not as strong as it was a few years ago. I'm so relieved whenever he gets the start. Does that mean anything?
That's definitely good to hear, but I'm more interested in what is making him so successful so far, obviously based on what you said, it's not the team in front of him, so that's a good start.

Old
10-18-2011, 02:18 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
I'd suggest this is a prospect forum and I'm inquiring about a prospect.

That's definitely good to hear, but I'm more interested in what is making him so successful so far, obviously based on what you said, it's not the team in front of him, so that's a good start.
I was only trying to help, I imagine the guys in the Kitchener thread probably watch every game so could give you the best read on how he's played. No need to be a jerk about it.

Last edited by wej20: 10-18-2011 at 04:34 PM.
wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:48 PM
nbducksfan19

Quote:
I was only trying to help, I imagine the guys in the Kitchener thread probably watch every game so coud give you the best read on how he's played. No need to be a jerk about it.
i apologize for him. thanks for your help.

nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
I apologize, I clearly misinterpreted your response. I'm used to the thread police coming around and questioning thread validity and location.

As for the Kitchener team thread, it's rarely ever posted in and I looked through it before posting here. By posting here, I was hoping to ascertain some information from more than Ranger fans, as well.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
BenchedGuy

I will put in my 2 cents FWIW.

He has impressed with his lateral movement and vision. Seems to have the angles down pat. In the first few games he has made the saves to pull out a win that previous goalies most likely would not have. Great addition to our team and he has adapted very quickly to the pace of the game. It also appears that during practice he is very focused.

His defense infront of him has improved greatly with the closing of the NHL camps and cuts. In the last few games Kitchener has gotten OA's Cody Sol and Julian Melchiori back from the Jets which have shored up the shutdown D position. And just this past weekend Ryan Murphy was re-assigned by Carolina for our puck moving D to get the puck quickly out of our end. All in all the D in front of Gibson has improved dramatically.

The combination of the improved D and his natural talent to this point has made him a fan favorite IMO at this point in the season.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Tim Wallach

Fever, not much more to say than what Benched Guy just said. But for my 2 cents, he is the best goalie we have had in Kitchener in a long time. His positioning and calmness are very reminiscent of Carey Price. In fact, he is reminiscent of him in every regard. Even when he struggles, it just seems to be a loss of focus/confidence.

But he makes tough saves look easy and is exactly the stabilizing force you need behind a young team. Now with the AHL/NHL returnees on D, Kitchener's back-end/goaltending is as strong as there is in the league, so you never know.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I may not be an OHL observer, just some USHL loser who saw him in the USHL but...

Gibson is the most athletic junior goalie I have seen in person since MA Fleury. In watching recent goalies in Team USA like Jack Campbell, McNeeley...Gibson is in a league of his own in terms of talent. It appears he has settled down and become more consistent which was the one knock I saw with him in the USHL. I think the kid has some serious potential.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
So glad I snagged him in my keeper league.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I will put in my 2 cents FWIW.

He has impressed with his lateral movement and vision. Seems to have the angles down pat. In the first few games he has made the saves to pull out a win that previous goalies most likely would not have. Great addition to our team and he has adapted very quickly to the pace of the game. It also appears that during practice he is very focused.

His defense infront of him has improved greatly with the closing of the NHL camps and cuts. In the last few games Kitchener has gotten OA's Cody Sol and Julian Melchiori back from the Jets which have shored up the shutdown D position. And just this past weekend Ryan Murphy was re-assigned by Carolina for our puck moving D to get the puck quickly out of our end. All in all the D in front of Gibson has improved dramatically.

The combination of the improved D and his natural talent to this point has made him a fan favorite IMO at this point in the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Fever, not much more to say than what Benched Guy just said. But for my 2 cents, he is the best goalie we have had in Kitchener in a long time. His positioning and calmness are very reminiscent of Carey Price. In fact, he is reminiscent of him in every regard. Even when he struggles, it just seems to be a loss of focus/confidence.

But he makes tough saves look easy and is exactly the stabilizing force you need behind a young team. Now with the AHL/NHL returnees on D, Kitchener's back-end/goaltending is as strong as there is in the league, so you never know.
Bingo for the two quotes above....I would have said Steve Mason but Carey Price is accurate also.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Nullus Reverentia

I haven't caught as many Rangers games as I normally do but Gibsons been good, best goaltending Kitchener has had since Steve Mason. Some things I've noticed is he lets in some really weak goals and he seems to get shakey when players are crashing the net but it's not that bad. So happy an American goalie finnally turned out well for us (So far)

Nullus Reverentia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Thanks for the responses guys. I had high hopes for him when the Ducks drafted him, but after seeing him in camp and hearing these reviews, his play has blown my expectations out of the water. The few times I saw him during training camp, he didn't look more than 2-3 years from challenging for NHL time.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:52 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Wow! Carey Price comparisons? I'll take it. Good to hear.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote