HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/25 - Bell returned to Whale

Old
10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

vCash: 500
A Norwegian hockey journalist says the Rangers play primitive and boring hockey. It doesn't fit Zuccarello's style at all. He believes Zuccarello will have a career in the NHL, but not with the Rangers. Is he correct or plain stupid?

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
SauceCheese91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
A Norwegian hockey journalist says the Rangers play primitive and boring hockey. It doesn't fit Zuccarello's style at all. He believes Zuccarello will have a career in the NHL, but not with the Rangers. Is he correct or plain stupid?
I think that he hits this one dead on. I really like Zucs, but he doesn't have a large enough role on our team, as their is not enough time for him to excel at what he does best. He needs to be paired with some scorers and players with speed, yet he will not get that chance playing on the 3rd/4th line in New York.

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Boring is fairly subjective, but he is probably right about Zooks, despite his obvious bias.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Boring is fairly subjective, but he is probably right about Zooks, despite his obvious bias.

True, there are those who enjoys 60 min of dump and chace hockey with the occational soft shot on goal

Seriously though, someone needs to do something about the style of hockey this team is playing. I do not mind the "defence first" attitude, but this team has been reduced to mediocre everything.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Durbo20vT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
Because he doesnt do anything with the time he is given
prucha put them in the net. I know prucha had jagr to thank for most of his success that season, but zuc has to make something happen in order to get that kind of opportunity... on "tortorella's team"

Durbo20vT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbo20vT View Post
prucha put them in the net. I know prucha had jagr to thank for most of his success that season, but zuc has to make something happen in order to get that kind of opportunity... on "tortorella's team"
Well he does have the most pp assist on this team since his call up., actually he had most pp assist on this team last season despite only playing half the games and on the second pp unit most of the time..

Lets hope for a Zuke trade to a team playing some fun hockey, that would be the best for all parts it seems.. Tobad though cause Mats is/was a ranger fan and really wants/wanted to play for this team..

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Quote:
Thats been the consencus through out europe, not only in norway.. The sweds has been much harder on the teams/torts booring style and play than any norwegian journalist. The announcers in stockholm actually couldnt belive that the demanding msg homecrowd did allow it, hehe

But as torts has said they dont have skill to play any other way Better dump the puck and stay behind the net

But i must say that the stepan-richards-gaborik line looked very promising last game, so maybee thers still hope.

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
True, there are those who enjoys 60 min of dump and chace hockey with the occational soft shot on goal

Seriously though, someone needs to do something about the style of hockey this team is playing. I do not mind the "defence first" attitude, but this team has been reduced to mediocre everything.

Yeah yeah, I am still on the season-start high, give it a week or so and I'm sure I'll be agreeing.

Old
10-18-2011, 12:56 PM
NikC

Torts is behind Newbury, who plays the game hard. He fits this team more than any other option right now, considering callup, waivers, etc.

Hard work goes on, long after talent quits...

The talent level of this team is increasing and will become the perfect marriage with the hard work ethic.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Torts is behind Newbury, who plays the game hard. He fits this team more than any other option right now, considering callup, waivers, etc.

The talent level of this team is increasing and will become the perfect marriage with the hard work ethic.
Right, but the point is, Weise/Newbury should have been kept to begin with and Zucc sent to Hartford until he can be moved or a spot found for him. Why roll a retarded fourth line for the first few games instead of just trying to make a work ethic, grinder line in the first place?

Old
10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

This team needs Jed Ortmeyer!!

A side question, what ever happened to Jorts? Is he still lurking the boards?

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:10 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Right, but the point is, Weise/Newbury should have been kept to begin with and Zucc sent to Hartford until he can be moved or a spot found for him. Why roll a retarded fourth line for the first few games instead of just trying to make a work ethic, grinder line in the first place?
agreed. just seem discombobulated at he moment overall...

Old
10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Xtranova

As a Ranger I feel that we somehow need to stay behind the coach. He is supposed to have a plan and I don't have any doubt that he has.... In the long run. "Staying with the kids", "Grinding it out" or whatever. (Blah, blah)

As a Norwegian I would love for Zuccarello to make it here, but it seems impossible with the boring style of play we actually play. Fingers crossed for his talent to be appreciated elsewhere in the NHL. He deserves it.

When that's said. Tort's ideology is just retarded when it comes to following the steps along the road for his (and Slats') long term plan. Ok, if things doesn't pan out the way you want, changes can be made. But the whole line juggling thing. How are the players going to adapt to a system. Adapt to their teammates on their line when they constantly are shuffled around? Zucc would be FINE and performed fine if he got stability on his behalf, not least minutes enough to produce. That goes for Gabby and Richards now too. If they don't succeed during 4 shifts.... Let's shuffle.

I call for a new avatar ... "Torts... Everyday I'm shufflin'"

Bah... I'll take a win any day, but I would like to see some entertaining hockey too....

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Imclaudelemieux

Zucs is too small and soft. He does some good things in the offensive zone but other then that, not much. At least Newbury will destroy some defensemen on the forecheck a la Callahan and scrap.

Imclaudelemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Just going to point it out one more time:

St Louis did not have a good offensive season until he was 27 years old.

10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

Torts is behind Newbury? That's why he didn't make the team to begin with?

He had no use for MZA because his idiocy in the purpose gave MZA no actual role of use.

Then people in the organization told him Newbury was playing the best in CT and he was called up.

Not sure I understand the Torts is behind Newbury comment.

And as for your talent comment, it takes players who have both to win in this league. Just look around.

Players like Dubi and Cally are the types that win in this league. You can have extremely talented players that are elite like Gabby, but if you're not elite you need to have other elements to your game (hence why MZA making the team and his role on the team made no sense).

I agree we're getting to that point where the talent and hard work is coming together now, but that's why this move was moronic from the get go with MZA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
As a Ranger I feel that we somehow need to stay behind the coach. He is supposed to have a plan and I don't have any doubt that he has.... In the long run. "Staying with the kids", "Grinding it out" or whatever. (Blah, blah)

As a Norwegian I would love for Zuccarello to make it here, but it seems impossible with the boring style of play we actually play. Fingers crossed for his talent to be appreciated elsewhere in the NHL. He deserves it.

When that's said. Tort's ideology is just retarded when it comes to following the steps along the road for his (and Slats') long term plan. Ok, if things doesn't pan out the way you want, changes can be made. But the whole line juggling thing. How are the players going to adapt to a system. Adapt to their teammates on their line when they constantly are shuffled around? Zucc would be FINE and performed fine if he got stability on his behalf, not least minutes enough to produce. That goes for Gabby and Richards now too. If they don't succeed during 4 shifts.... Let's shuffle.

I call for a new avatar ... "Torts... Everyday I'm shufflin'"

Bah... I'll take a win any day, but I would like to see some entertaining hockey too....
What you stated are slogans, not plans.

If Torts has a plan when it comes to on ice strategy I'd like to hear from someone what it is.

There are only certain players who get legitimate minutes under Torts. If he could double shift our top two lines without killing them he'd do it all the time.

Callahan is one of the few players who I've never seen Torts discipline or demote.

Avery, Gabby, Dubi, all got the shaft at different points.

Torts' coaching consists of shuffling lines and benchings. He's been doing it since he got here.

Some call it accountability. I call it tiresome and redundant and ineffective.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:41 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post

He had no use for MZA because his idiocy in the purpose gave MZA no actual role of use.

Then people in the organization told him Newbury was playing the best in CT and he was called up.

And as for your talent comment, it takes players who have both to win in this league. Just look around.

Players like Dubi and Cally are the types that win in this league. You can have extremely talented players that are elite like Gabby, but if you're not elite you need to have other elements to your game (hence why MZA making the team and his role on the team made no sense).

I agree we're getting to that point where the talent and hard work is coming together now, but that's why this move was moronic from the get go with MZA.
Quote:

From Today's Daily news quoting Torts. Sounds like he's very aware of what Newbury brings. He might have been in the plans all along. maybe we're showcasing MZA? IDK.

Quote:
Torts

???

Quote:

I agree it takes both. never implied otherwise. I'm not sure what the deal is with MZA. While I don't think he's been given a true shot, he seems one dimensional, and that just won't cut it with this team.

Old
10-18-2011, 03:12 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Which brings us back to the same spot we constantly arrive at.

If your assessment is accurate, why is no one else interested in Avery?

Either the belief is that his talent does not warrant it or there are other problems in regards to Avery.

Give me another possibility as to what is going on.
other teams dont want to take a chance on him because of what happened in dallas and they would have to pay the full 4 mil.

there are no other problems with avery. the only problem is that he had a coach that hated him and wanted him off the team. but lets keep ec. he's one of those "players that are better than sean avery." garbage.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:24 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
From Today's Daily news quoting Torts. Sounds like he's very aware of what Newbury brings. He might have been in the plans all along. maybe we're showcasing MZA? IDK.

???

I agree it takes both. never implied otherwise. I'm not sure what the deal is with MZA. While I don't think he's been given a true shot, he seems one dimensional, and that just won't cut it with this team.
I'm not sure why you're using a quote from the coach after the player was called up to validate your comment that he was behind the player...

Is Torts going to say, "I didn't want Newbury on this team that's why I cut him, but now I've got to play him cause he's here."

I mean to say that Torts idiocy was having MZA here even though it was obvious there was no role for him.

It's not so much about MZA as it is our coach who seems to be given a lot of leeway in who is on this team, and yet doesn't have any sense of how to construct one logically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
other teams dont want to take a chance on him because of what happened in dallas and they would have to pay the full 4 mil.

there are no other problems with avery. the only problem is that he had a coach that hated him and wanted him off the team. but lets keep ec. he's one of those "players that are better than sean avery." garbage.
chip when the people you're arguing have the same bias as the head coach it doesn't matter how obvious things are. They're just going to use the fact that someone as biased as them is justification for their inability to use their eyes and assess the situation rationally.

Old
10-18-2011, 03:46 PM
NikC

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're using a quote from the coach after the player was called up to validate your comment that he was behind the player...

Is Torts going to say, "I didn't want Newbury on this team that's why I cut him, but now I've got to play him cause he's here."

I mean to say that Torts idiocy was having MZA here even though it was obvious there was no role for him.

It's not so much about MZA as it is our coach who seems to be given a lot of leeway in who is on this team, and yet doesn't have any sense of how to construct one logically.

@GMillerTSN
Gord Miller

Torts told the Daily News that he likes the old school style that Newbury brings: Daily News “I like the way Newbs handles himself. I think he’s a little bit old time as a player, he thinks it that way. He certainly turned my head this summer in how – what type of shape – how his body had changed coming into camp. So he deserves the opportunity. He’s played very well down there. He deserves the opportunity, and I just – I like his jam. I think he plays hard for our team.”

What i get from that is the coach had his eye on him from the summer/camp. Also from the official site that discusses the moves.
Torts thinks Newbury has more "jam". it's obvious to me that Torts thinks Newbury can contribute more in that role that supports his strengths than MZA can.

Torts isn't entirely responsible for constructing this team. Sather is as well. How can you blame team construction on Torts?

Old
10-18-2011, 04:02 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
@GMillerTSN
Gord Miller

Torts told the Daily News that he likes the old school style that Newbury brings: Daily News I like the way Newbs handles himself. I think hes a little bit old time as a player, he thinks it that way. He certainly turned my head this summer in how what type of shape how his body had changed coming into camp. So he deserves the opportunity. Hes played very well down there. He deserves the opportunity, and I just I like his jam. I think he plays hard for our team.

What i get from that is the coach had his eye on him from the summer/camp. Also from the official site that discusses the moves.
Torts thinks Newbury has more "jam". it's obvious to me that Torts thinks Newbury can contribute more in that role that supports his strengths than MZA can.

Torts isn't entirely responsible for constructing this team. Sather is as well. How can you blame team construction on Torts?

I know the quotes. They're not relevant after the fact.

I think it's pretty obvious Torts has a huge say in the construction of the team. He usually speaks in absolutes when referencing players and their role.

I don't doubt that he talks to people in the organization but I think that Sather explains if something will or won't work that Torts wants to do based on the cap or waivers or whatever.

Torts to me has carte blanche when it comes to determining what he wants to do with personnel.

Where other people come into play are on moves like Newbury for MZA. Torts realized after three games that his utilization of the player was awful and he would get nothing out of him being here. So he told the organization he wanted someone a little grittier up here.

Then they ask Hartford coach who is playing best that fits that description and they send up Hartford.

But I think it's pretty obvious that Torts has the biggest say of any in player personnel. He's the coach. That's the way it should be.

Old
10-18-2011, 04:26 PM
NikC

Quote:
I know the quotes. They're not relevant after the fact.

I think it's pretty obvious Torts has a huge say in the construction of the team. He usually speaks in absolutes when referencing players and their role.

I don't doubt that he talks to people in the organization but I think that Sather explains if something will or won't work that Torts wants to do based on the cap or waivers or whatever.

Torts to me has carte blanche when it comes to determining what he wants to do with personnel.

Where other people come into play are on moves like Newbury for MZA. Torts realized after three games that his utilization of the player was awful and he would get nothing out of him being here. So he told the organization he wanted someone a little grittier up here.

Then they ask Hartford coach who is playing best that fits that description and they send up Hartford.

But I think it's pretty obvious that Torts has the biggest say of any in player personnel. He's the coach. That's the way it should be.
I'm providing you reasoning as to why I feel he's behind Newbury as a player that fits this team at this present time. More so than MZA given what they both bring to the table.

you think it's a matter of improper utilization and Torts is just BS'ing the media because has no use for certain players. I just don't think MZA showed enough with and away from the puck for them to give him the minutes he deserved. He may be better off in harford for now. Or maybe he gets packaged for a player that best fits our structure.

Old
10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Mikos87

I think Zucc will play this year, I just think that they are trying to get a little hunger in Zucc's game, he is skilled enough and smart enough to know what to do out there, but he has to be assertive and aggressive out there, so far he has been passive, they're going to try and bring out a little more fire out of him. If you look at the Buffalo midgets, both Gerbe and Ennis had to play at least 80 games in the minors, Gerbe more so. Nothing wrong with him being down there and looked upon as a go to guy out there playing top minutes, keeping him in prime shape. Once that desperation and hunger sets in, I think Zucc will make an impact, and not just play a sheltered role.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Vitto79

I'm in the trade Zuke now. Lets be realistic at this point the top 2 lines are:

Stepan, Richards, Gaborik
Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan

If someone gets hurt or falters Wolski has to be given the chance at top 6 minutes. Boyle also may get a shot before Zuke would on a call up

as for the bottom 6 Fedotenko, Prust , Rupp are going to play.

If they need a 4th line spark its going to be Newbury who just got called up or a guy like Hagelin/Bourque

I'm calling Zuccarello for Klein out of NSH. The Preds then call up Ryan Ellis from the minors

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
This team needs Jed Ortmeyer!!

A side question, what ever happened to Jorts? Is he still lurking the boards?
I could be wrong but I think he goes by Vitto79 now.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote