HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders and Nashville

Old
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
Islanders and Nashville

Just for kicks, on the trade forum there is a Ryan Suter thread. **RUMOR** has it that he will not resign and look toward free agency.

What would you give up to get him? Honestly, I'd pay a high price and throw him a bunch of money and resign him.

DeHann and a 1st

OR

Nino and a 2nd.

Now before everyone freaks out over this being for a 'rental', our team is not exactly the bottom feeder we have been. It is still very early obviously, but we have certainly turned one corner at least, to an up and coming team. We're not the joke no one in their right mind would sign with anymore. If JT keeps doing his thing, he is certain to draw some level of interest from other players to play with him.

Streit-Suter
AMac-Hammer
Staios-Juice

Looks really damn nice to me. That is a playoff top-4. Would allow Dehann to play in the NHL pressure free next year. Also i'll go on record and say Suter is just as good as Doughty with a little less O, but better D.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Brunomics

I'd give them Nino, De Haan, + if I knew I could resign him. I always felt that due to him being overshadowed by Shea Weber that most people don't really know how good he is.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I'd give them Nino, De Haan, + if I knew I could resign him. I always felt that due to him being overshadowed by Shea Weber that most people don't really know how good he is.

Aint that the ***** though. I think we would have a MUCH better shot now as compared to previous years.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
leaponover

The team is up and coming and yes it is early, but competition wise things are looking up. The fact that our arena is still older than dirt and falling to **** and the future home of the Islanders is uncertain makes it NOT a good place to sign. I'd continue to build through the draft and hope for signing a free agent in the summer who can ignore the uncertainty.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...D&fa_type_id=2

2012 UFA list.

Not the greatest group. I'd take Suter, Wideman, Stuart, Carle, Coburn and Gleason. Thats about it. The Detroit guys are all gonna resign, lets be honest. One of Carle n Coburn if not both will resign with Philly as well. Unsure about Gleason, and Wideman might resign at a discount if the caps go deep this year.

DeHann and Donovan progressing aside, we will still need one more significant Dman in our lineup if we want to continue to get better.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Halakness Monster

Nashville would have no interest in Dehaan since they have deep D prospects. We would have to give up Nino or Strome+. I also highly doubt he would resign here. And that's not worth giving up our blue chips for another first round exit.

Halakness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
zaius

Only if we knew he'd be resigning here long term. Which isn't a guarantee, so I'd say hold on to our blue chips until an offer we can't refuse comes to the table.

I'm not against it, but i'd still be slightly upset if we traded Nino or Strome. It could be the draft hype machine affecting my emotions but I really feel like these two WILL be big time NHLers. Maybe it's because fans of other teams feel so too.

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I'd give them Nino, De Haan, + if I knew I could resign him.
If he wants to be a free agent and Nashville is theoretically trading him because of it, why would the Islanders be able to sign him?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Veteran journeyman

Wouldn't do it. Too risky to give up those kind of prospects for an upcoming FA. I doubt many will agree, but I'd go for Komisarek. He could probably be had for a reasonable return that doesn't include a top prospect, he is signed for two more years after this one, and despite laying an egg last season, he looks great at the start of this season...more like the Komisarek that played in Montreal. Moreover, the type of player he is would be a nice compliment to Streit and something the Isles are missing...a physical defenseman with size that can block shots and clear the crease.

I have completely flip-flopped my views on Komisarek, but if it's true he's not as good as he showed in Montreal, then I think it's also true that he's probably not as bad as he showed in Toronto last season. A player that falls somewhere in the middle...with Streit watching his back for when he strays out of position...I'd take that if it didn't cost much in terms of what goes the other way.

Then the Isles could shift Staios to the bottom pair with Eaton/Jurcina, and that's not a bad top-6, providing that Komisarek doesn't flame out like last season...

Last edited by Veteran journeyman: 10-18-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Stercrazy

It's real simple.....Isles propose a trade on condition he signs an extension. NSH would have give the Isles permission to talk to his agent. Once a contract is agreed on the trade goes through and he signs. Anything outside that I am not interested.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:08 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...D&fa_type_id=2

2012 UFA list.

Not the greatest group. I'd take Suter, Wideman, Stuart, Carle, Coburn and Gleason. Thats about it. The Detroit guys are all gonna resign, lets be honest. One of Carle n Coburn if not both will resign with Philly as well. Unsure about Gleason, and Wideman might resign at a discount if the caps go deep this year.
I'd throw suitcases of money at Coburn and/or Gleason since Suter will most likely go out of Wang's price range.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Just for kicks, on the trade forum there is a Ryan Suter thread. **RUMOR** has it that he will not resign and look toward free agency.

What would you give up to get him? Honestly, I'd pay a high price and throw him a bunch of money and resign him.

DeHann and a 1st

OR

Nino and a 2nd.

Now before everyone freaks out over this being for a 'rental', our team is not exactly the bottom feeder we have been. It is still very early obviously, but we have certainly turned one corner at least, to an up and coming team. We're not the joke no one in their right mind would sign with anymore. If JT keeps doing his thing, he is certain to draw some level of interest from other players to play with him.

Streit-Suter
AMac-Hammer
Staios-Juice

Looks really damn nice to me. That is a playoff top-4. Would allow Dehann to play in the NHL pressure free next year. Also i'll go on record and say Suter is just as good as Doughty with a little less O, but better D.
Why would i trade any thing. I would let him hit the market and see if we can sign him. There is no risk at all this way.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:55 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Why would I hand over an asset that could help me win for a decade (de Haan/Nino/Strome), for a player who can help me for 20 games and more then likely not yield a Stanley Cup — even if we made the playoffs?

Unless there is a feeling that we are on the cusp of winning a championship, I don't want to "rent." Why rent when I can buy?

Bottom line — if this group makes the playoffs or come really close — free agents are going to look at this as a potential option again. The money has been offered to free agents, but with no core, or a team still 3-4 years of competing, UFAs stayed away. The building wont be an issue if the team is winning.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:03 PM
JTavaresNYI09

Quote:
this.

Suter is a great defensive player and would drastically improve the team defense if we got him.

JTavaresNYI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:13 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
If he wants to resign as an Islander, he'll be equally willing to sign as a free agent.

If he doesn't want to resign as an Islander, we (clearly) shouldn't trade for him.

Either way better off waiting until July 1st and giving him an offer.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercrazy View Post
It's real simple.....Isles propose a trade on condition he signs an extension.
Has that ever happened?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Has that ever happened?
I think it happens in baseball a good amount, like a 60 hour window to negotiate an extension or something... or I could just be making that up, not 100% sure

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
If he wants to resign as an Islander, he'll be equally willing to sign as a free agent.

If he doesn't want to resign as an Islander, we (clearly) shouldn't trade for him.

Completely agree with this post.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post

IDK if thats 100% true, i mean it seems alot of players dont WANT to come here but after they are here all we seem to hear is positive things about the Island, the organization etc

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:41 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
IDK if thats 100% true, i mean it seems alot of players dont WANT to come here but after they are here all we seem to hear is positive things about the Island, the organization etc
You are correct, sir.

Playing for the team for a bunch of games definitely changes your perception by the time free agency starts. It's why Cliff Lee signed in Philly and not the Yankees.

Not to say that I am for a deal, though.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
startainfection

i only see this happening if suter is unhappy because he is being over shadowed by shea weber, the preds do horribly bad and cant have anything worked out at all by the trade deadline, i think that is very unlikely though

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:14 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
I would like to see Wideman here, could be a good right-hand shoot to work with Streit?

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:44 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I'd rather wait to see how de Haan handles the NHL. If he struggles, I'll be fine if we involve him in a deal. However if he pulls a Hamonic, I don't want him to leave

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
I'd do de Haan and a conditional first for Suter. The first being that we can resign him to an extentioned and if not then a it converts to a second rounder.

But it won't matter, Nashville will only trade him if they fail to sign him and settle for trading his rights.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Riddick

is suter non-physical? more about positional/stickwork than hitting ja?

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote