HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2011, 10:04 AM
HookeyPookey*

vCash: 500
I think your right for moment, got to stop the revolving door and DP has to come back on merit, not just ah his our 15 million guy throw him to the wolves, tis what he's paid for. Given how weird things are with concussion wouldnt be surprised if this season is another write off for DP and we stablise with Nab & Montoya

Old
10-17-2011, 12:23 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
I don't think anyone actually wishes ill will, or injury to DP.

That being said, as an ISLANDERS fan (not a DP fan), you have to at least see his injury as stablization of the goalie position on the team. Finally.

Not one goalie in the NHL, I would imagine, would favor a 3 goalie rotation. Not one.

With DP out, Montoya and Nabby will be rotated or play the hot man, with both getting solid work and hopefully running some hot streaks.

Finally, the D will get used to some consistency back there.

This is a douchy thing to say, but DP's injury is a BAD thing for him, but good for the team.

and as and Isles fan, I can honestly say, that I hope he is out for the season.

If you truely think that having a 3 goalie rotation, and having DP playing his usual style (read: disaster), is a PLUS for the team, I would love to hear from you.

I hope I made my point in a PC kinda' way.
Crystal clear, and I agree 110%. Montoya and Nabokov look to be stable, and fewer turnover-yielding plays made by unpredictable goalies means the defense gets exploited that much less.

Old
10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
That being said, as an ISLANDERS fan (not a DP fan), you have to at least see his injury as stablization of the goalie position on the team. Finally.
Not saying this as a pro- or anti-DP Islander fan, but the reality is that the goalie position will only be stable if Rick DiPietro is the starting goalie and playing at or near the level he reached when he was an All Star. Of course, that's a tremendous "IF" that might not ever occur.

Until then, he will always be in the background, practicing/rehabbing his way back into the rotation.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Wedregast

I'm hopeful that once's he's able to play, the Islanders send him to the AHL, bring up Poulin to split time with Montoya, and:

trade Nabby + PAP/Comeau (depending on how Nino is playing and on which line) + Eaton for a top 3 defensive defenseman.

I'm assuming this would never happen due to the money Wang would have to burn to make it happen.

Old
10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Not saying this as a pro- or anti-DP Islander fan, but the reality is that the goalie position will only be stable if Rick DiPietro is the starting goalie and playing at or near the level he reached when he was an All Star. Of course, that's a tremendous "IF" that might not ever occur.

Until then, he will always be in the background, practicing/rehabbing his way back into the rotation.
I'd like to think that the coaching staff is about as realistic on this one as I am.....I know it's bad luck taking a shot to the dome in practice, but his near-total lack of durability is again, far better addressed in Bridgeport.

I hope/think we'll see Montoya and Nabby run away with things to the extent that DP can take a 'long-term conditioning stint' in the AHL, as I can't really see both being rife with 'FAIL' at the same time to the extent that DP gets rushed.

I'm probably going to get the screws put to me by a combination of sane-yet-realistic DP fans and those of us who can't see the nonsense in waiting around on the deck of a sinking ship, but the better the Isles do without him RIGHT NOW with two stable goalies to call upon, the better for the team, this season forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
I'm hopeful that once's he's able to play, the Islanders send him to the AHL, bring up Poulin to split time with Montoya, and:

trade Nabby + PAP/Comeau (depending on how Nino is playing and on which line) + Eaton for a top 3 defensive defenseman.

I'm assuming this would never happen due to the money Wang would have to burn to make it happen.
Nabby & Comeau departing wouldn't bug me too much. Parenteau's showing me magnitudes more than Comeau, and he may just play his way into another contract if he keeps this up.

Old
10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
BeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Milbury was not GM the first or second time a 15 year deal was bellowed out of the owner's intestinal tract onto the hockey world. Smith was and the NHL shot it down the first time and Wang tried again the next year and Bettman allowed it because Jesus hates the team.

Milbury drafted the exciting pick Wang's first year (an impact newsworthy event) after hearing murmers he would be taken before the fifth pick. That is the extent of it. Milbury entertained offers of DP for Samsonov but the trade never got done as Boston didn't like the asking price, so instead he dealt Osgood the following year for some insane reason (Ozzy wouldn't go to American Idol with Chuck and Yash?).

So......why are you blaming Milbury for the contract?

Smith said no, Snow said "OKAY, BOSS!" and he got the contract. It was Wang.
You're right, Milbury wasnt the GM when the contract was given. He was the GM when it was first brought up i 2005 but DP was signed to a 1 year and then in 2006 he was given the 15 year when Snow was GM.

However, thats beside the point I was trying to make. The point is you don't blame DP for the contract, I guess you blame Wang.

Old
10-18-2011, 01:35 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

DiPietro article

hey guys--my buddy just wrote this article on DP which gives a different spin to the saga....let me know what you think

http://thecheckingline.com/blog/bria...-rick-dipietro

Old
10-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
LOL in not so subtle words the author of this article simply said - thanks for getting injured and keep up the good work??

Old
10-18-2011, 02:15 PM
lorwood

I really don't get all the "thank you DP" stuff. It sounds like an article that should have been written for Billy Smith. Where exactly is DP in Islanders history? He was a great Islander because he was drafted number one? He was great because he got a stupid contract? He was great because he got injured so much? I don't get it? As far as an Islander, they way I see it is that DP was a highly touted expensive investment that did not pan out. At this point with the promise of new goal tending it should be time to move on. Does anybody really think that DP is STILL the future of the Islanders in net?

On the personnel side I hope he stops playing for his own good. I think of NY Jets Al Toon and Wayne Cherbet and all they went through with post concussion syndrome. I know its a lot of money but this is a young man who is potentially one slap shot away from a very dark painful future.

Old
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
HookeyPookey*

I agree with some points but

-It's been good in some WAYS but does the few other good prospects we have got because DP has been injured make up for the years of instability between the pipes and losing seasons? IMO not really. We have good alternate goalies now but it's been a revolving door of mediocrity for how long?

-Draft picks are draft picks no law saying the highest ones will always be the best (I know there is a much more probably chance) some decent picks have been out of the first round though. So i am not really sure. I mean theoretically should we aim for last then every season to stockpile draft picks not sure the whole you helped us come last so we got someone cool thing works for me. Albeit the writer phrases it well.

-Rick will need some time when he comes back as well think it is best to just lower expectations, further to 0 if that hasn't already happened.

-Writer also forgot to thank DP for being healthy when Luongo was around and seeing to it Luongo was moved on :|

Good article overall a different perspective.

Old
10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPookey View Post
I agree with some points but

-It's been good in some WAYS but does the few other good prospects we have got because DP has been injured make up for the years of instability between the pipes and losing seasons? IMO not really. We have good alternate goalies now but it's been a revolving door of mediocrity for how long?

-Draft picks are draft picks no law saying the highest ones will always be the best (I know there is a much more probably chance) some decent picks have been out of the first round though. So i am not really sure. I mean theoretically should we aim for last then every season to stockpile draft picks not sure the whole you helped us come last so we got someone cool thing works for me. Albeit the writer phrases it well.

-Rick will need some time when he comes back as well think it is best to just lower expectations, further to 0 if that hasn't already happened.

-Writer also forgot to thank DP for being healthy when Luongo was around and seeing to it Luongo was moved on :|

Good article overall a different perspective.
This is honestly DP's last year if we're a winning team. OK, we can keep DP in B'Port as an emergency call up in case we have Monty and Poulin/Nilsson up and one gets injured. This allows us to trade a top flight young goalie in the coming years, but DP is just not and never again will be an option when we're looking at such a good 1-2 punch in net. (or 1-2-3 if we keep one down in B'port).

He's just not that good. If he signed a 5 year extension, give him a car/ring and wish him luck on ice one night as he begs for a job elsewhere.

But he's here, so if he retires, we win, if he's bought out, we win and if he's a good soldier and moves to Connecticut to be a pro goalie ready for call up like he should (be real, his best now would be as a Wade Flaherty role), great!

Old
10-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Hipster Doofus

Thank you DP for always being there when a sports writer needs a punchline.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

I guess the concussion was not that serious - I just came across this on Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/NYIslanders

NYIslanders NYIslanders
#Isles on the ice for practice this morning at the Coliseum. Rick DiPietro practicing with the team.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I guess the concussion was not that serious - I just came across this on Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/NYIslanders

NYIslanders NYIslanders
#Isles on the ice for practice this morning at the Coliseum. Rick DiPietro practicing with the team.
Even if he's ready to go he better not even back up for any of the next games. Montoya has been great and Nabokov earned himself at least another start or more with his play the other day.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Even if he's ready to go he better not even back up for any of the next games. Montoya has been great and Nabokov earned himself at least another start or more with his play the other day.
You would think thats what a normal team would do but were the Islanders and Ricky got a letter from Dr. Nick Riviera stating he is ok and this was just posted on twitter:

NYIslanders NYIslanders
Capuano says all three goalies will go on the trip to Florida. #isles
10 minutes ago

Old
10-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
You would think thats what a normal team would do but were the Islanders and Ricky got a letter from Dr. Nick Riviera stating he is ok and this was just posted on twitter:

NYIslanders NYIslanders
Capuano says all three goalies will go on the trip to Florida. #isles
10 minutes ago

Damnit!!!!!! I hoped we'd be able to use Montoya/Nabby to build some stability here. WTF!

Old
10-19-2011, 11:32 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

i might be alone on this but i want to see DP get a fair shot this year...i am all for playing monty as he has been great (and nabby looked good too) but in pre-season DP looked the best he has looked in 2-3 years.

he finally seems healthy (aside from the concussion--but that has nothing to do with mobility)

i think it is clear as oltimehockey as said that this is his very last chance--lets let him have a fair one...i wouldnt mind seeing him get a start at FLA--by no means am i advocating givingi him 20 games to run with and stink up the joint...just a game here and there to gain his bearings..

i have always liked DP and i still do--we cry that players dont want to come here, yet we have someone who is literally dying to stay here

nahhh, lets root for nabby who dissed our team and bleeds REDwing over a guy who bleeds orange

Old
10-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
nahhh, lets root for nabby who dissed our team and bleeds REDwing over a guy who bleeds orange
If he wins games for this team, who cares what happened last year?! I'll also say the same thing about Ricky. Sadly, I have less confidence that Ricky plays better than Nabokov.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
If he wins games for this team, who cares what happened last year?! I'll also say the same thing about Ricky. Sadly, I have less confidence that Ricky plays better than Nabokov.
i understand and somewhat agree with your sentiment as NYI winning is the #1 priority...however, most top notch organizations would not allow someone like that on the team--as much as people say it is not the case, no one can tell me that JT does not feel a little disdain for nabokov

Old
10-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
i might be alone on this but i want to see DP get a fair shot this year...i am all for playing monty as he has been great (and nabby looked good too) but in pre-season DP looked the best he has looked in 2-3 years.

he finally seems healthy (aside from the concussion--but that has nothing to do with mobility)

i think it is clear as oltimehockey as said that this is his very last chance--lets let him have a fair one...i wouldnt mind seeing him get a start at FLA--by no means am i advocating givingi him 20 games to run with and stink up the joint...just a game here and there to gain his bearings..

i have always liked DP and i still do--we cry that players dont want to come here, yet we have someone who is literally dying to stay here

More like bleeds Barium Sulfate from all those fluids he had to injest prior to a CT and MRI

I dont want to see Rick Dipietro anywhere near this team anymore.. sorry i am done with this guy and if he gets himself hurt again it will be his own fault. He is a joke!!! We finally have a solid goalie tandem with Montoya and Nabakov and now Glass Joe is coming back and messing it up. I cant wait till he gets a hernia from sneezing

Old
10-19-2011, 12:23 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:

I don't care if he bleeds top-shelf tequila and farts perfume - he DOESN'T stop pucks like an NHL goaltender anymore. Logic suggests he belongs in a developmental league where his screw-ups don't cost the Isles points. If Nabokov is on board long enough to put up good stats and bring back a good D-man in a trade package, he's doing us more favors and doing his job better than how DP's done in about 3 years.

As far as giving him his chance, I agree......but goalies need more than a start here & there.....they need consistency, which does less damage in the AHL. I wouldn't give him NHL start #1 until he played at least 10-15 in the Bridge to warm his body up to compete level above what he sees in practices.

Old
10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
hey guys--my buddy just wrote this article on DP which gives a different spin to the saga....let me know what you think

http://thecheckingline.com/blog/bria...-rick-dipietro
....it sums up my feelings pretty solidly.

Old
10-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
i understand and somewhat agree with your sentiment as NYI winning is the #1 priority...however, most top notch organizations would not allow someone like that on the team--as much as people say it is not the case, no one can tell me that JT does not feel a little disdain for nabokov
As an Islanders fan, you know that this organization is not like any other! If Peca and Tucker can not only be teammates on the Leafs post 2002, but actually become good friends, then I think that something like the Nabokov situation from last year can also be swept under the rug. Besides, winning fixes everything. As long as the team is winning, I doubt anyone is going to carry a grudge.

Old
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
13th Floor

Sigh. Maybe I am being over the top, but I think any progress we have made in the first 4 games this year will be instantly reversed the second DP is announced as the starter.

No conditioning starts in AHL? Check
Not awarding our goalie tandem with starts despite both of them looking great? Check
Laughing stock of league again? Check

Look, it is as simple as this. If starting goalie goes down, then back-up goalie plays. Once starting goalie comes back, back-up goalie returns to back-up regardless of play. If you have 3 healthy goalies and you are claiming none of them are the clear-cut starter, then you let their play warrant their playing time.

If DP starts either of the next 2 games, we know which scenario our team is under. Joke's on us.

Old
10-19-2011, 12:49 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Lets hope the concussion not serious and Rick is ok. Its terrible to see these guys never recover from concussions. As a New York hockey fan I hope Rick can stay on the Islanders roster for this year and many years to come.

Closed Thread