HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartnell Needs To Redefine Role

Old
10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
I think Hartnell saw all his friends leave, and now wouldn't be disappointed if he did too.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
I say we rename this thread "Hartnell needs to REnegotiate his contract."

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers' Hartnell has to wonder where the time went

I'm not so sure he's going to stick around.....sadly possibly another cap casuality.

Quote:
"It bothers me that I'm not getting the minutes that I used to have," Hartnell said. "It's frustrating. But I'm still having fun. We're winning, we're all playing well and everyone is contributing."

Part of Hartnell's ice-time reduction is because it's still October. Up and down the Flyers' roster, nearly everyone has seen a cutback in ice time. Jaromir Jagr, 39, is down 7 minutes from his career average of 22 minutes per game. No one needs to be worn out with 78 games left on the slate.

Part of that is because young players like Matt Read, Sean Couturier and Wayne Simmonds have gobbled up some of Hartnell's time.

And part of that is by design, from Peter Laviolette, because Hartnell struggled in training camp.

"There's only so many spots," Laviolette said. "Based on what we saw in training camp, we had to have a starting point somewhere. Players who have certain roles need to continue to push, because a guy like Scott is working hard and he wants more ice and more opportunity.

"I understand that [he is frustrated]. But we had to begin somewhere."
Quote:
Hartnell, who has watched close friends Mike Richards and Jeff Carter get shipped out of town in a hurry, has heard the trade rumors, with chatter that circulated even as recently as the first week of the season. But he also holds a trump card in the form of a no-trade clause.

The good news, for Hartnell, is that all of this is subject to change. There will be injuries. And others will play their way into slumps, as Hartnell, a streaky goal scorer, can attest. Minutes are up for grabs on a nightly basis.

Like him or not, Hartnell's down-and-dirty style of play can be a solid fit in Laviolette's up-tempo and aggressive style. Hartnell said he has not had "one word" of conversation with Laviolette, but that the message has been the same as it always has been.

"I didn't have the camp, obviously, that I would have liked to have," Hartnell said. "But you need to work hard and do the right things in order to get the minutes. If I work hard, I will get back up there."

It sounds altruistic, but Saturday's loss to Los Angeles - after the Flyers' perfect 3-0 start - could have been the best thing to happen to him.

"I haven't changed anything up because I like what we've done so far and we've been successful," Laviolette said on Friday. "I think Scott's working hard right now. He's fighting for ice time."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1bA4a5ak7

Old
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
TheSpectrum

He doesn’t look to have a lot of chemistry going with Cooter and Read either. That’s an odd line combination because both players bring speed offensively and Hartnell’s lumbering style has not meshed well. Neither are mature enough offensively to set-up Hartnell the way Briere set him up in years past and that’s why I believe his offensive production has disappeared.

TheSpectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
flyingsouth

I like Hartnell, but I'm of the opinion that if he's not on Briere's line, he's surplus to requirements. Shedding that cap hit would definitely come in handy...

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:35 PM
alx83*

I think Anaheim could be a destination for him in the event of a trade. His elevated cap hit but lower salary would be attractive, and he brings size that we lack outside of our first line. He could be a key addition to our second line next year, especially if our prospects Holland and Palmieri make the jump to the NHL as our second line. I think he'd complement them well. Just an outsider's perspective...

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectrum View Post
He doesn’t look to have a lot of chemistry going with Cooter and Read either. That’s an odd line combination because both players bring speed offensively and Hartnell’s lumbering style has not meshed well. Neither are mature enough offensively to set-up Hartnell the way Briere set him up in years past and that’s why I believe his offensive production has disappeared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsouth View Post
I like Hartnell, but I'm of the opinion that if he's not on Briere's line, he's surplus to requirements. Shedding that cap hit would definitely come in handy...
Hartnell has done well without having Bričre on his line in the past, so I don't think it's necessarily essential for them to be together, even if it might turn out to be the best in the end for this team. I also don't think that the line with Hartnell, Couturier and Read has been that bad. They've been pretty good at creating sustained pressure, and have been pretty solid defensively and Hartnell has a part in that for sure. I don't know if I would say that Couturier and Read are that speedy either.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:42 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
I think Anaheim could be a destination for him in the event of a trade. His elevated cap hit but lower salary would be attractive, and he brings size that we lack outside of our first line. He could be a key addition to our second line next year, especially if our prospects Holland and Palmieri make the jump to the NHL as our second line. I think he'd complement them well. Just an outsider's perspective...
Could we have Sbisa back?

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Hartnell has done well without having Bričre on his line in the past, so I don't think it's necessarily essential for them to be together, even if it might turn out to be the best in the end for this team. I also don't think that the line with Hartnell, Couturier and Read has been that bad. They've been pretty good at creating sustained pressure, and have been pretty solid defensively and Hartnell has a part in that for sure. I don't know if I would say that Couturier and Read are that speedy either.
Read def has wheels just showed it on the Ottawa goal...and Couts skates effortlessly...and has a large wingspan...

Old
10-18-2011, 07:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Could we have Sbisa back?
Would def take him back....

Old
10-18-2011, 10:59 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Hartnell seems disinterested to be out there with Cooter and Read....IMO.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:21 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Hartnell seems disinterested to be out there with Cooter and Read....IMO.
?
based on what?

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:25 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
?
based on what?
He just looked glidey out there tonight, and I seen him take a longer shift or few tonight. :shrug: just my view..

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:29 AM
ju87

could it be that Hartnell has been made redundant by Simmonds, a faster version of Hartnell ?

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:42 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju87 View Post
could it be that Hartnell has been made redundant by Simmonds, a faster version of Hartnell ?
They are two different players on two different lines. One player can't make another redundant.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:16 AM
TheSpectrum

Of course as we start to criticize him he has his best game of the season. 12+ mins of ice, 1 A and + 3. Solid job from Hartnell last night, I felt he was one of the most active forwards last night and the puck seemed to be following him around.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:06 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Read def has wheels just showed it on the Ottawa goal...and Couts skates effortlessly...and has a large wingspan...
I never said they were bad skaters, but it's not like Hartnell is out there with Pavel Bure and Russ Courtnall. He kept up with Carter and Bričre pretty well in recent seasons, I think he can keep up with Couturier and Read as well. I'm guessing it's Talbot's goal you're referring to here, and on that Hartnell kept up with Read fairly well, I'd say.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Gibbs18

This is my honest opinion. I think Hartnell needs to go. Last years team he fit in nicely but with this new look team he doesnt really fit anywhere. Simmonds took his spot and theres nothing he can really do. Also he costs way to much to be on the 3rd/4th line. Hes not producing. I wouldnt move Simmonds down to 3rd line because he just looks so much better than Hartnell. I think they called Schenn up to fill in for Hartnell. (maybe a trade?)

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I never said they were bad skaters, but it's not like Hartnell is out there with Pavel Bure and Russ Courtnall. He kept up with Carter and Bričre pretty well in recent seasons, I think he can keep up with Couturier and Read as well. I'm guessing it's Talbot's goal you're referring to here, and on that Hartnell kept up with Read fairly well, I'd say.
Actually referring to the initial goal where he skated hard and potted the goal over Auld's shoulder..not sure where Hartnell was on that since it was mainly an individual effort on Read's part.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:50 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
Needs to be back with Daniel Bwiehwre, th' Cookie Monsta.

But really, neither has looked that great. Hartnell-Briere-Jake, Simmonds with Couts on the third.

Schenn - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Simmonds - Couturier - JvR
Nodl/Rinaldo/Shelley - Talbot - Read

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:55 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectrum View Post
Of course as we start to criticize him he has his best game of the season. 12+ mins of ice, 1 A and + 3. Solid job from Hartnell last night, I felt he was one of the most active forwards last night and the puck seemed to be following him around.
He still has some ways to go to be back to his absolute best, but I agree that last night was a step forward for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Actually referring to the initial goal where he skated hard and potted the goal over Auld's shoulder..not sure where Hartnell was on that since it was mainly an individual effort on Read's part.
That was all Read (and, maybe, just a little bit of Auld as well) as far as I remember.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:34 PM
TheSpectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Schenn - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Simmonds - Couturier - JvR
Nodl/Rinaldo/Shelley - Talbot - Read

Why tinker with the first line right now? The Flyers have absolutely two stud oak trees protecting Giroux on that line. I love watching it. Albeit neither Jagr nor JVR have yet to take off offensively, they are a nightmare to move from the puck. It’s a far cry from last year with guys like Carter and Leino who didn’t give you much fight on the puck. That line has “Legion of Doom” potential written all over it.

I think they’ll go Schenn-Cooter-Hartnell and bump Read with Talbot. Read and Talbot already showed some instincts together last night. Read will still get ice time on PP, PPK and they’ll probably work him in on that 3rd line as well.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

not sure why people jump to the conclusion that hartnell wants out of town. he's playing for one of the best teams in the league, his transition into his new role is just gonna take some time and more than likely we'll see him back with danny before the end of the season if he isn't traded. he's been effective on our third/fourth lines so far this year. the points will come.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Aucoin3

Can you please send him to the Islanders?

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:04 AM
DUHockey9

I actually thought Hartnell had his best game against Ottawa. He seemed to skate harder and forecheck better. He still wasn't great or anything, but he was better than all the other games.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote