HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Keith Ballard being shopped

Old
10-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
If we did get Ballard we'd have to make sure Hank's mask was on extra tight.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

No more band-aids. If you're going to make a trade, upgrade the team somewhere. No more of this "crap for crap" nonsense.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
No more band-aids. If you're going to make a trade, upgrade the team somewhere. No more of this "crap for crap" nonsense.
I would be totally fine with new mantra of "crap for picks".

Wolski and Christensen out. No one in.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre only saving $1.2M when you consider Wolski's cap hit, who is an absolute dud.

I would gladly take that extra hit for one year of a veteran defenseman who can handle 20+ minutes per game.

Sather has an awfully shoddy track record of trading solid defenseman for high risk/high reward offensive players with dubious work ethic issues. If Wolski came a bit cheaper, this would be less of an issue.
So you are saying Sather made a mistake by making that trade which gave us an extra 1.2 mil to sign Richards? I'm not having it....

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:42 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre only saving $1.2M when you consider Wolski's cap hit, who is an absolute dud.

I would gladly take that extra hit for one year of a veteran defenseman who can handle 20+ minutes per game.

Sather has an awfully shoddy track record of trading solid defenseman for high risk/high reward offensive players with dubious work ethic issues. If Wolski came a bit cheaper, this would be less of an issue.
He played 20+ minutes per game, but he handled it about as well as he handled a bouncing puck on the powerplay, or an unpressured breakout pass.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would be totally fine with new mantra of "crap for picks".

Wolski and Christensen out. No one in.
I'm one of the few folks that seems to be willing to give Wolski a shot at that top line when he's healthy. His perceived value to us is greater than anything (or anyone) we'd get in a trade at this point. If he can find his game with Richards and Gaborik, it's a win for us. If he can't, then we put him on waivers or see if we can dump him in a trade. I don't think his value around the league could go any lower barring a career ending injury when he comes back.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
So you are saying Sather made a mistake by making that trade which gave us an extra 1.2 mil to sign Richards? I'm not having it....
Some relatively simple moves frees up that 1.2M. Not sure why you're trying to portray it as a move necessary to sign Richards, because it wasnt.

Roszival, for all his imperfections, was a good soldier for this team and is certainly missed for anyone thats been paying attention for the last 6 years.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
If we did get Ballard we'd have to make sure Hank's mask was on extra tight.

A resounding no from me. This guy will manage to take the only thing keeping this team from a top5 pick, out of commission for months.

Edit: Used that video and not Vokoun strictly for the YT title.

10-17-2011, 02:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Ballard is fine, his contract is not. Pass.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Ballard is a solid player, he has played real well for vancouver this year.
The problem is he has a bad contract, which hurts any value he has.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post

A resounding no from me. This guy will manage to take the only thing keeping this team from a top5 pick, out of commission for months.

Edit: Used that video and not Vokoun strictly for the YT title.
Maybe this is just the way my brain works, but I see Ballard as the last person in the NHL that would do something like that again from this point forward.

He'd be an OK fit - his contract wouldnt. No thanks.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 04:42 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Rangers are in a position of weakness; teams will be asking for any of Kreider, Thomas, Fasth and a 2nd rounder to start.

Wolski and Zuc have no trade value.
Agree teams will first attempt to exploit perceived weakness, but competition will eventually rule the day. They can ask for Kreider all day long and the answer is still no.

Here's a thought:
Ballard for Redden PLUS = rough balance cap, contract $

Say Redden + 5th rounder for each year of the 4 years.
At end of 4 years, depending upon how available and productive Ballard was, one additional draft pick (4th upgradeable to a 2nd?) would be added the following year.

Rangers move Redden dead cap space for D who helps now.
'Nucks are even WAY deader on the 1 for 1 talent exchange, but get 4+ picks out of it....

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I like Ballard. he had one rough year but he's still a good defenseman and the contract is not that terrible. if he can be had for Wolski and a pick, I do it.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:26 AM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Just dropped in to check out your GDT when I spied this thread.

IMHO, Ballard's troubles last year were mostly due to something very bizarre and dysfunctional going on in his relationship with coach Vigneault. Now, all coaches have their pets and their whipping boys, but AV took it to absurd levels last year with Ballard. Any miscue was instantly met with being benched or scratched in favour of Aaron Rome, which had us all hyperventilating and yelling at our tvs out here. It really was mind-boggling how determined AV seemed to ruin any utility Ballard had as a player and any value he might have had on the trade market. To his credit, Ballard has never once complained as others have (see Shane O'Brien or Matthieu Schneider). He's been okay so far, but he's nowhere near the level his contract would warrant. Contracted Canuck-defenseman-itis as well last season and caught the injury bug so fond of our blueline. Didn't help he was coming off hip surgery in the offseason last year and he had real trouble pivoting in the early going, which might have been the early reason for his demotion to the doghouse. Still, we need all the dmen we can get especially as Sami Salo, Mr Glass Body himself is still around. Oh, and Redden for Ballard = no thanks.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I miss Staal.
He'll be back...just maybe not this year.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:45 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Just dropped in to check out your GDT when I spied this thread.

IMHO, Ballard's troubles last year were mostly due to something very bizarre and dysfunctional going on in his relationship with coach Vigneault. Now, all coaches have their pets and their whipping boys, but AV took it to absurd levels last year with Ballard. Any miscue was instantly met with being benched or scratched in favour of Aaron Rome, which had us all hyperventilating and yelling at our tvs out here. It really was mind-boggling how determined AV seemed to ruin any utility Ballard had as a player and any value he might have had on the trade market. To his credit, Ballard has never once complained as others have (see Shane O'Brien or Matthieu Schneider). He's been okay so far, but he's nowhere near the level his contract would warrant. Contracted Canuck-defenseman-itis as well last season and caught the injury bug so fond of our blueline. Didn't help he was coming off hip surgery in the offseason last year and he had real trouble pivoting in the early going, which might have been the early reason for his demotion to the doghouse. Still, we need all the dmen we can get especially as Sami Salo, Mr Glass Body himself is still around. Oh, and Redden for Ballard = no thanks.
Thanks.
But just to be accurate, for the record, I did not say 1 for 1; I said Redden PLUS. You totally ignored the picks.
Still want to try to get something else for Ballard in lieu of the picks, you're more than entitled .... to try; getting something good for that talent level w/4 years will not be easy.

Old
10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Do not want!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:13 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Thanks.
But just to be accurate, for the record, I did not say 1 for 1; I said Redden PLUS. You totally ignored the picks.
Still want to try to get something else for Ballard in lieu of the picks, you're more than entitled .... to try; getting something good for that talent level w/4 years will not be easy.
Well, I just don't think we'd get much of anything for Ballard right now, picks or not. His value really couldn't be much lower thanks to his contract and the horrible year he's coming off of. He's worth more as a warm body on the blueline than he'd be on the open market, especially as he's got something to prove now. He has looked a lot better this year, and in the game vs the Oilers, he treated us to a nice moment of entertainment. Darcy Hordichuk was mouthing off in the press before the game, talking up how he was going to abuse the Sedins, how he was like a Hells Angel seeking revenge, etc etc etc, and here's his shift in that game. His one 5 second shift:

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:05 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Well, I just don't think we'd get much of anything for Ballard right now, picks or not. His value really couldn't be much lower thanks to his contract and the horrible year he's coming off of. He's worth more as a warm body on the blueline than he'd be on the open market, especially as he's got something to prove now. He has looked a lot better this year, and in the game vs the Oilers, he treated us to a nice moment of entertainment. Darcy Hordichuk was mouthing off in the press before the game, talking up how he was going to abuse the Sedins, how he was like a Hells Angel seeking revenge, etc etc etc, and here's his shift in that game. His one 5 second shift:

Offer withdrawn.
I relied on representations such as RangersFan:
"I actually like Ballard, but that contract is brutal...pass"

to see if there was a workaround for the contract itself.
However, it now appears, sadly, Ballard may be on the way to Redden 2.0, if not immediately, then soon enough.

Old
10-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Abaddon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Offer withdrawn.
I relied on representations such as RangersFan:
"I actually like Ballard, but that contract is brutal...pass"

to see if there was a workaround for the contract itself.
However, it now appears, sadly, Ballard may be on the way to Redden 2.0, if not immediately, then soon enough.
Take your head out of its hole.

Ballard is still a valued member of one of the best defences in the league.

Redden is an AHL afterthought, being paid 2 million more.

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:40 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Take your head out of its hole.

Ballard is still a valued member of one of the best defences in the league.

Redden is an AHL afterthought, being paid 2 million more.
"Take your head out of its hole. ..." my rookie friend with the big mouth and apparently little brain,
"Ballard is still a valued member of one of the best defences in the league." is only your opinion, not fact, and it is erroneous opinion if Ballard is apparently being shopped actively. Which is being done for a reason, which is likely to be they want to dump him before they are stuck with him as a Redden.

Too many indications it's not just the contract.

Old
10-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Vitto79

they may bring in a high priced Dman but if they do its on a 1 yr deal, UFA next yr.

whether we like it or not a guy like Kuba will be rumored. Wolski will be given a shot but if he stinks the Sens would likely do that swap alla the Rozy deal. Same idea.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Not a big fan of moving Ballard, but if that's whats being offered I'd do it in a heart beat.

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:25 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
While it would make the team *prettier*, Ballard seems like a friggin psychopath in real life. Pass.
I met him a couple times here in FL, nice guy, not a serial killer.
(I saw the Malkin hit/Crosby fight live )
I'd take him, he'd be the 3rd best Dman we have. Plus, he hits.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote