HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs defeated by the Sabres 3-1

Old
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
TheBourkeIdentity

vCash: 500
A cheering thought: If we'd had Cami we probably would've won the last two games.

Sidenote : Keep in mind at around this point last season our PP was like 17th in the league and at one point dropped to 21st-22nd IIRC ? Be nice to see it get going though.

Frustrating to see Plec and Gionta getting consistantly stonewalled, they both need a bit more patience with the puck.

On the plus side: no major PK brainfart tonight.

On the minus side: Gorges major brainfart tonight.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

In the sorry state of our team, better get the first overall pick than be playoff fodder. And even if we did not, better draft high enough to land Grigorenko. (I'm not sure Grigorenko will be taken first, though, and he's not a surefire #2 either)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JohnLennon

The posters in this thread blaming Gomez are the posters who embarrass all Habs fans everywhere. You don't know anything about hockey. You are just immature and reactionary.

If you actually watched the game tonight you would notice Gomez actually had an outstanding 5-on-5 game and made many great plays at all ends of the ice. He and Gionta combined for many chances, but Miller was just a wall tonight.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
I don't get the Gomez hate.

He's actually played three very good games in a row. Unlucky that the points aren't going in, but his game is actually much improved.
Gomez is an odd situation, I don't personally buy that he's a 'fat cat' and just sits on his contract and doesn't try. That's a lazy way of analyzing what's happening on the ice...

I think Gomez tries, the effort is there...just not much happens. And if his wingers aren't scoring, Gomez becomes exposed.

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be time to reunite Cammy-Gomez-Gionta when Cammy returns this week.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I agree the team played well. What happened to the Habs tonight is what happened to Washington against Montreal in the 09-10 playoffs. Quantity and Quality chances generated by one team with the other relying on remarkable goaltending and being lucky enough to convert their few chances. If the team can play like this going forward it's going to be a great season*.

I disagree with your point about Gionta not picking up his man though (I might be wrong). At the end of the shift when Buffalo broke with the puck Kostitsyn & Desharnais were very slow (some would say lazy) coming off the ice for the line change. That put Gionta and Gomez on the back foot and neither of them were able to get completely back defensively.

*assuming they don't suffer from awful puck luck like New Jersey did last season.
I'll look for that in the replay and see if it was another forward who messed up and not gionta.

Either way though... the forward support in the defensive zone has been the Habs biggest problem so far this season.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Buffalo was lucky Miller was standing on his head, that game should have been about 5-1 halfway through. Price needs to get his head out of the clouds, the 1st goal got them in the game...terrible rebound on a weak no angle shot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Do you even know what you are saying. You are making zero sense and are being a drama queen. This literaly has to be the worst post I even seen on HF, not just the habs board, but on HF in general. I've never seen such nonsense.
You think we will make the playoffs starting 1-6?

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Lucky Luke

Apart from Miller's solid performance, the deciding factor in this game was the breakdown play by the Habs on Vanek's goal.
It was pretty ugly to watch.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
agreed. gomez has been playing awful and better not crack the top 6 anymore, Defintley impressed with a lot of our game, ryan miller is a great goalie thats no surprise, and we make a couple mistakes and goodnight. Price is to blame for first goal, 2nd goal, mix of bad icing and defensive coverage in our zone, can't blame price for the 2nd goal.

idk it was just one of those ****** nights, don't feel like looking through twitter, but someone said the next couple weeks are going to be the toughest for the habs and they will really need to battle together to get through it until we are healthier
Desharnais 19:50, Gomez 19:10, and Plekanec 19:08, played basically the same amount of icetime tonight.

Its Engqvist who is getting no ice time.... 5:21, and rightfully so IMO.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I'm not blaming Gomez, heck, I'm not blaming anyone other than maybe Gorges. Everyone but Gorges gave their all tonight. Price is sick, but recovering some.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:42 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Is there anyway I can get a copy of TSN's broadcast from tonight's game? I was at the game and apparently my girlfriend and I were shown on TV in the 3rd and I'd really like to see it.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Great news about all this is that Hot-Dogs are on the menu in the Sabres dressing room and Tyler Ennis just said that the Hot-Dogs Lafleur are the best in the league. I mean, we have to be somewhat proud....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Nevermind Gomez, I hope my perception of Cole wasn't true. I thought he was finished BEFORE he went to Edmonton. Went to the Oilers sucked, returned to Carolina and got a good season. But I thought the guy's best years were behind him in a while. I hope i'm wrong but right now he's not good at all.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
You think we will make the playoffs starting 1-6?
But they're not 1-6.

You do realize that many teams during the course of a season have a stretch of 5 games where they only win one. The only difference is that it gets noticed because it's the first 5 games. If this happens 20 games in I'd doubt you notice it.

Also can I ask you a personal question. Do you do it on purpose to post negative, annoying and outragous things in every single one of your post to get a reaction because it's not normal.

Seriously every post you post has 1-2-1, 1-3-1, not a good team. If you didn't label yourself as a habs fan you'd be considered a troll, but you only get by because you claim to be a habs fan. If a bruins fan comes to this board and does what you do he'd get banned.

you don't even express an opinion with argument, you just come ehre and say this guy sucks, that guy sucks, 1-4 no playoffs, Martin sucks. What's your point.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Desharnais 19:50, Gomez 19:10, and Plekanec 19:08, played basically the same amount of icetime tonight.

Its Engqvist who is getting no ice time.... 5:21, and rightfully so IMO.
Gomez sucks and yet he's #2 in powerplay time. Go figure...On the air of "When a man loves a woman"....When a coach loves a player......Anyway, it's not entirely Gomez fault, the guy cannot score. He can't. Doesn't have the shot, doesn't have the guts to be close to the net so he relies solely on his passing...and Gionta misses a lot of chances. Though, the strangest thing is that Pacioretty alongside Gomez doesn't look half dangerous than when he is with Desharnais...

Old
Erika

Scott ''overpaid 8 millions dollar man'' Gomez continues to show the piece of trash of a player he is...

I said it before since day one and I will repeat it again... This team will go no where as long as overpaid, overrated scrubs like Gomez, Gionta, Spacek, etc. are still on it.

Even Cole will soon be part of that category if he continues to struggle badly like that.

Keep Elller, Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Diaz, Plekanec, Gorges, Markov and Yemelin... Trade the rest or put them on waivers I don't care, this team needs a complete rebuild as I don't think that this team has what it takes to make the playoffs this year.

It is time for a big change, Jacques Martin is also part of the problem.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roke

Quote:
I'll look for that in the replay and see if it was another forward who messed up and not gionta.

Either way though... the forward support in the defensive zone has been the Habs biggest problem so far this season.
Like I said, I think it goes back to the linechange.

I don't remember if Gionta/Gomez got back in the zone between Leopold and the goal (if they did I'm completely wrong) I thought that it was taking a fairly long time for the last two Habs forwards to get back and n one of the replays TSN showed you can see Kostitsyn and Desharnais coasting to the bench while Buffalo broke up the ice.

One of those little things that doesn't always cost you. With the exception of that and the icing by Gorges I'm very happy with the game tonight.

Edit: Let me add to the Eller kudos. He's great with the puck and pretty good without it as well. Very nice game for him.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PunkinDrublic*

Eller will be a star one day in Montreal. And could someone please tell Pleks that the regular season has started.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

That kind of loss was very frustrating: we didn't suck except for that one play (the one that led to Vanek's goal) yet still manage to lose with the goalie pulled.

At least we have the best hot-dogs in the NHL...

Old
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Gomez sucks and yet he's #2 in powerplay time. Go figure...On the air of "When a man loves a woman"....When a coach loves a player......Anyway, it's not entirely Gomez fault, the guy cannot score. He can't. Doesn't have the shot, doesn't have the guts to be close to the net so he relies solely on his passing...and Gionta misses a lot of chances. Though, the strangest thing is that Pacioretty alongside Gomez doesn't look half dangerous than when he is with Desharnais...
All three Centres are getting PP time. Desharnais and Pleks are together on the first unit. Who do you want to centre the second unit? Engqvist?

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Nevermind Gomez, I hope my perception of Cole wasn't true. I thought he was finished BEFORE he went to Edmonton. Went to the Oilers sucked, returned to Carolina and got a good season. But I thought the guy's best years were behind him in a while. I hope i'm wrong but right now he's not good at all.
Well, I will call it confidence 'cause right now, he catches 1 pass out of 2. But he seems slower than I ever thought he was....and just seems so AKostlike at some point. 2 great shifts.....4 invisible....You have to wish he has some more in him 'cause it will be hell in Habsland.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Bloumeister
Live And Let Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika EllerWick View Post
Scott ''overpaid 8 millions dollar man'' Gomez continues to show the piece of trash of a player he is...

I said it before since day one and I will repeat it again... This team will go no where as long as overpaid, overrated scrubs like Gomez, Gionta, Spacek, etc. are still on it.

Even Cole will soon be part of that category if he continues to struggle badly like that.

Keep Elller, Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Diaz, Plekanec, Gorges, Markov and Yemelin... Trade the rest or put them on waivers I don't care, this team needs a complete rebuild as I don't think that this team has what it takes to make the playoffs this year.

It is time for a big change, Jacques Martin is also part of the problem.
You forgot "bring back Sergei'

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
But they're not 1-6.

You do realize that many teams during the course of a season have a stretch of 5 games where they only win one. The only difference is that it gets noticed because it's the first 5 games. If this happens 20 games in I'd doubt you notice it.

Also can I ask you a personal question. Do you do it on purpose to post negative, annoying and outragous things in every single one of your post to get a reaction because it's not normal.

Seriously every post you post has 1-2-1, 1-3-1, not a good team. If you didn't label yourself as a habs fan you'd be considered a troll, but you only get by because you claim to be a habs fan. If a bruins fan comes to this board and does what you do he'd get banned.

you don't even express an opinion with argument, you just come ehre and say this guy sucks, that guy sucks, 1-4 no playoffs, Martin sucks. What's your point.
I am a die-hard Habs fan. However, the team this year is NOT good.

They have zero finishing ability, and the play of Price is extremely concerning. You dig yourselves in a hole, and will never be able to get out of it.

It is like a golf tournament....you can't win it on the 1st round, but you sure can lose it. Montreal is on the verge of shooting an opening round 78 and being 13 shots off the lead after 1 round.

After 2-3 more games, we are going to be 10 points back of the division lead and totally out of the equation.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Craig71

Yes lets tank so we can get access to some 18 year old hotshot that will take 3 years to mature into a good player, hence more tanking. Years of video games have destroyed too many minds.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
You forgot "bring back Sergei'
He would probably be the Habs points leader at the end of the season, by far...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote