HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Desperate Times Call For

View Poll Results: What do you do now? (check all that apply)
Stay the course. Howson and Arneil will right the ship. Give them time. 10 13.16%
Trade for a G, either demote or get rid of Mason. 31 40.79%
Upgrade the D. A significant upgrade will likely cost RyJo/high picks but gotta do it. 22 28.95%
Strip Nash's C, or trade him 23 30.26%
Make other moves to detonate the player leadership core (besides Nash) 11 14.47%
Fire Arneil. 24 31.58%
Fire Howson immediately. Start the search for a new GM. 24 31.58%
Fire Howson at the end of the year. 8 10.53%
Fire Priest. 29 38.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 500
Desperate Times Call For

What measure would you take to fix the Jackets? I know that there are Fire the GM and Fire the Coach threads, but my question is: what do you think will happen first? WIll there be a goaltender signing? If so who? A trade, if so who do we trade? I really don't know what to think. If Howson is fired immediately, how does that change things in the near term? If the coach is fired, how will a lame duck coach fix this mess? I could see a trade (Vermette?) but would we get value in return? I would be interested in your intelligent insights. Frankly, I think right now that anything that will be done will be out of desperation and may not help the team near term.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
What measure would you take to fix the Jackets? I know that there are Fire the GM and Fire the Coach threads, but my question is: what do you think will happen first? WIll there be a goaltender signing? If so who? A trade, if so who do we trade? I really don't know what to think. If Howson is fired immediately, how does that change things in the near term? If the coach is fired, how will a lame duck coach fix this mess? I could see a trade (Vermette?) but would we get value in return? I would be interested in your intelligent insights. Frankly, I think right now that anything that will be done will be out of desperation and may not help the team near term.
I'll vote that Brassard gets traded for some one who can play defence.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
My vote is actually let all the kids play. Give Mayorov, Johansen, Atkinson, Savard big minutes.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

things i keep reading have Brass going to an Eastern Conf team as soon as carter's ready to go...just dunno who would want him and what we would get for him...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
MisterC

Send a message via AIM to MisterC
Howson, Arniel, and Priest. All in one fell swoop. This team needs a 2008 Detroit Lions housecleaning.

MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Who knows?

This team is cursed.

No matter what the changes are, the team looks different but it's still the same result.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

We already have Bass on the big club, which I wanted.
Swap Brassard for defense, send Savard back to Springy.
Swap Pahlsson for picks.
Send Martinek to the press box once Wiz returns.

Setting this aside, I think the real problem is behind the bench.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Brassard showed tonight what he can do when given a chance...not playing 4th line wing. Trade Vermette. I see absolutely nothing from the guy. We could get a solid defender for him and I really like Brass as our #2 guy that can fill in and play with Nash....he does have the best chemistry with him honestly..

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:07 PM
FreeBoomer61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Brassard showed tonight what he can do when given a chance...not playing 4th line wing. Trade Vermette. I see absolutely nothing from the guy. We could get a solid defender for him and I really like Brass as our #2 guy that can fill in and play with Nash....he does have the best chemistry with him honestly..
i completely agree with you. well said. brass has such a big upside, and vermy, well, just doesnt (except in the faceoff department). trade vermy for a top 4 dman, trade pahlson (cuz hes a worthless piece of junk in my eyes) for another dman/forward, and once juice is healthy they need to use him as trade bait, too.

FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
i completely agree with you. well said. brass has such a big upside, and vermy, well, just doesnt (except in the faceoff department). trade vermy for a top 4 dman, trade pahlson (cuz hes a worthless piece of junk in my eyes) for another dman/forward, and once juice is healthy they need to use him as trade bait, too.
The more times I see us putting up two goals a game, the more I want to go out a get a forward for Vermette. I think Howson will just wait and see what happens like he usually does during the season . But really I cant see him making a move until Wiz shows what hes got. Btw, Wiz must feel ****ing horrible about that hit now...thanks shanny! Anyways, how would a guy like Rene Bourque do for us? I dont watch the flames but I remember he usually puts up hat tricks against us .

Old
10-19-2011, 01:43 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

We was not whorse in the most of game and we were better the last game too but our scoring... . Plus Lehtonen is a good g-man.

Brassard must be a center when I wrote the wing can play FO somebody of you wrote me it is not right... it was right.

IMO not GM (Howson is not a reason why The Wiz does not play or Carter is injured) or Arniel... nobody would help us. Because nobody would get sit some veterans what is a solution. We need a trade. I do not know whether Vermette because he can play the third line center and Johansen the second. But I would (during Carter injury) let to play Johansen, Mayorov more and call Atkinson and Byers (Dorsett and Pahlsson trade). Mayorov could play PK together with Bass.

Umberger--Brassard--Nash
Prospal--Johansen--Giroux
Mayorov--Vermette--Atkinson
Byers--MacKenzie--Bass

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Palinka

Quote:
I don't know that I've ever really criticized an active player on the team since Gilbert Brule, but I'm astonished at what's become of Antoine Vermette. I don't know that I've seen such a precipitous decline in the level of play from a guy who should be right around the prime of his career without injuries playing a major role in that. But between last year, which might have been the most invisible 47 points I've ever seen, and this year where he just looks totally lost, I don't know what to make of it.

I'm really at a loss.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:26 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
I don't know that I've ever really criticized an active player on the team since Gilbert Brule, but I'm astonished at what's become of Antoine Vermette. I don't know that I've seen such a precipitous decline in the level of play from a guy who should be right around the prime of his career without injuries playing a major role in that. But between last year, which might have been the most invisible 47 points I've ever seen, and this year where he just looks totally lost, I don't know what to make of it.

I'm really at a loss.
It's interesting you said that, that's one of the things I was thinking about. Dropping him to the 3rd line, Sammy down, Brass up, and taking Vermette off PP duty. Kind of dependent on Carter returning as I'm not sure I want DM playing 2nd line on the road against Detroit.

In general and not to you...

As far as this team goes. My opinion is this team is too comfortable with a 'great group of guys'. Maybe it's time to make them uncomfortable and that doesn't necessarily include bag skates.

I'm not sure I would make a roster change at this point. Removing the coach is where I would start. Find a coach that will make them compete during practice even when they are tired. And this doesn't include the 60 minute fire drill.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:42 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree with you both on Vermette, I've never seen so many odd passes and drops to noone. I don't see what everyone sees in Brass, he's just not a top six center. And Johansen isn't ready for the NHL in any way shape or form. He belongs in Springfield, but Portland will have to do. Then, next year, he starts in Springfield and earns his way up.

As I've posted elsewhere, I don't see either Howson or Arniel getting canned, yet. Shake up? Sure, but a total destruction/rebuild in the first month doesn't seem called for...yet. I hate what's happening as much as anyone and I sure don't know how to fix it. I know that some changes have to come, immediately, and I'd start in goal. Mason isn't able to get it done.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:00 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I don't see what everyone sees in Brass, he's just not a top six center.
Don't take the suggestion of moving Brass up as a vote of confidence, from me at least.

Old
10-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Desperate times call for more threads.

10-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

I don't know what to think anymore - please tell me the season is not already shot and we're not even a week away from Hallowe'en yet.

There were some concerns about the defense, but everyone basically loved the way this team was shaping up in the summer. There is no reason why this team shouldn't be scoring goals. I just don't get it. Is it chemistry? Is it coaching? This should not be happening.

Here's another desperation move: Mason and Vermette for Luongo. The salaries are close this year, but Luongo has a smaller cap hit, so there might have to be other pieces added to balance the cap. Yes, I know that Luongo has a NTC, and this is one of the biggest millstone contracts out there, but as the title alludes to...

Random detour: after watching the last couple of games, could we seriously not have traded Commodore for Souray during this past off-season? Seems like his bloated contract for a year would be better than paying Commie to play for the Wings.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:16 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I don't know what to think anymore - please tell me the season is not already shot and we're not even a week away from Hallowe'en yet.
The season is not already shot and we're not even a week away from Hallowe'en yet.

Quote:
Here's another desperation move: Mason and Vermette for Luongo. The salaries are close this year, but Luongo has a smaller cap hit, so there might have to be other pieces added to balance the cap. Yes, I know that Luongo has a NTC, and this is one of the biggest millstone contracts out there, but as the title alludes to...
I've seen worse ideas. Don't think Van would go for it, but who knows.

Quote:
Random detour: after watching the last couple of games, could we seriously not have traded Commodore for Souray during this past off-season? Seems like his bloated contract for a year would be better than paying Commie to play for the Wings.
I don't know if we could have, but I didn't think either player was done even if both are head cases (one more than the other). I wouldn't call Commie a world beater, but I would rather have him playing for us now then playing in Detroit. Arniel clearly didn't like his style of play, but we were better with him than Stralman. I still find that to be a tactical mistake from last year.

Don't mistake those comments as thinking it would have made much difference in the play last year, just saying I didn't think we needed to banish him.

Old
10-19-2011, 07:21 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

There were some concerns about the defense, but everyone basically loved the way this team was shaping up in the summer. There is no reason why this team shouldn't be scoring goals. I just don't get it. Is it chemistry? Is it coaching? This should not be happening.
Nana, I feel your pain and I'm right there with you. This is awful - they're not the same old Jackets, they're different and they still stink. I'm at a loss.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:24 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Dump the entire ****ing team.

This team is the laziest bunch of professional athletes I have ever seen. No way should Jamie Benn get that goal. I love Nash's half hearted attempt to lift his stick, and then he stops applying any pressure.

The people making the big dollars on this team are lazy. Get rid of this entire team, and start over.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:26 AM
blahblah

At this moment we are a special kind of suck. The type that translates into the only winless team in the NHL. The kind that only has one "cupcake" the rest of the month. You know where that cupcake looks and us thinks were the cupcakes.

We'll probably accidentally win a couple this month. At some point we're bound to play a good game while getting a team on a down night.

Old
10-19-2011, 08:07 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Unlike in some previous years, there are no quick fixes here. Maybe a room shaking deal will get you a small surge and the team could put together a nice month or two though... I've said before that Wiz coming back in a few games should help immensely, this could look like a different team with him on the ice, they need to win at least one before then though.....

I know some people may not believe it, but the playoffs are still possible, but this thing needs to be righted and sustain said righting in a hurry.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 10-19-2011 at 08:24 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I'd explore Vermette for Bobrovsky.

Old
10-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Crisp Breakout

Honestly? I'd deal Rick Nash for a young, top-pairing defender. (Thinking J. Johnson + Bernier, something like that).

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:34 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
I'd explore Vermette for Bobrovsky.
Would not be bad, but you would also want to move Mason. You would have 3 goalies on one-way contracts, Dex, Mason, Bobs. Don't need all of that. If you could do a Vermette for Bobs, and a Mason for something deal, it wouldn't be too bad. You are pretty much relying on Johansen at this point to step up and play 2nd or 4th line center full time. After his performance last night, I wouldn't be doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Honestly? I'd deal Rick Nash for a young, top-pairing defender. (Thinking J. Johnson + Bernier, something like that).
I like Nash, but man is he lazy. He finally went out and started hitting, but on that Benn goal it just shows how lazy he is at back checking. I don't know if I would move Nash yet.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote