HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #6 - (37 RYP) - Vancouver Canucks vs New York Rangers - 7pm - TSN

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2011, 01:09 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 500
How many points does our third and fourth line have?

Old
10-19-2011, 01:10 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
He has so far. It's up to the coach to reward that with more starts. Luongo is proving nothing by getting the majority of the starts.
The majority of the starts? They flip flopped games. Luongo won his last start and got this start.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

The Canucks look seriously different from last season. No Torres, for example. This shows.
Torres was worthless. It's good that he's gone. Granted, space-occupiers like Volpatti are just as worthless, but Torres is not to be missed.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:12 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Just to expand on something I said about the offense earlier, the Canucks have scored 157 goals in their last 60 games. That's 2.61 G/G which is roughly a bottom 10 offense (almost identical to Nashville and Toronto's outputs last season). That's a pretty long sample of mediocre production.

It just seems like tonight's game was a microcosm of the Canucks' struggles. Other teams are happy to let them take perimeter shot after perimeter shot. The Canucks aren't going to the tough areas to score and eventually they make some stupid defensive mistakes which the other team capitalizes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I'd like to see what rate all the other teams in the NHL scored at in that time frame. I doubt the Canucks would actually be in the bottom 10. All teams are scoring less lately.
Well, since we've only played 6 games this year we can look at our current ranking - 21st. Boston is dead last though, if that's any consolation.

I'm assuming he is counting the 25 games we played in the postseason - at 2.32 GFG we were 14th of 16 teams.

That leaves 40 games or roughly half of the season. I don't know where to get those kinds of splits for the whole league so I checked the Toronto Maple Leafs last 40 games since I figured they were terrible last year. They got 2.63 GFG (but they did improve in the stretch run).

In other words, he's probably right on.

Last edited by mossey3535: 10-19-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old
10-19-2011, 01:13 AM
bbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Cody Hodgson was awesome, from this Ranger fan's POV...stood out, impressive, really, considering how well the Canucks played all night (know you guys must be pissed at not scoring given how well the team played, but the effort was there. Sometimes, you just face a hot goalie, and that's Lundqvist right now). He's got a great release on his shot, and just makes a ton of smart plays.

Edler was also awesome, never realized he had such great hands.
Lundqvist was a beast for the Rangers they are lucky they have the guystole a game tonite gotta give him credit .

Old
10-19-2011, 01:14 AM
vanboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bazooka View Post
Unless you're personally paying that 10 million then no it shouldn't.
If its purely about cap hit, then they would have signed erhoff at a 4 MM cap hit when the cash hit was 10 MM. There are trickle down effects with cash spent on a diminishing return basis, the ownership retained earnings will reduce over time and unless revenues keep pace, eventually margins and profitability fall to a point where the owner may not even be able to spend to the cap.

We are blessed to be in a high demand /return market but you can't keep dumping cash down the drain without corresponding impact...

Old
Canucker

The Good:

1) Ballard - played a very solid game and showed a lot of offensive jump. Created a lot of chances.

2) Hodgson - hustled and showed a lot of confidence with the puck. Nice to see him shooting more but wish he'd hit the net more often.

3) Salo - our best and most reliable defenseman right now. Solid.

The Bad:

1)Luongo - several of the goals against weren't directly his fault. He had numerous defensive lapses around him and players cheating but he really seems to be struggling to make the big saves when needed.

2)Kesler - I realize its his first game, and there is likely rust. His effort level was there but he didn't play a smart game. He was really trying to do too much on his own and force plays that weren't there.

3)Hamhuis - played a very poor game positionally and got caught several times. Not typical of Hammer but this was a very bad game for him.

The Ugly:

Samuelsson - this guy is a nightmare. No clue why he's on the point on the PP, plays die on his stick constantly. His shot either misses completely or hits the goalie in the crest ("Crest Sniper"). Still the most frustrating player on this team to watch.

Old
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I'm not saying trade Luongo or that we should sarcastic cheer him, but Luongo sure is making it hard for me to support him if he keeps this up.

Some of the Luongo skeptics do bring up some good points. He hasn't stole a lot of games for us in the past as he used to. Maybe it's October, maybe we should give it some time, maybe management made a 12-year commitment to him...I don't know.

Everything about this game was horrid. SCF all over again.

Shots galore, yet no score.
Oppisition chances few, but once again we stunk like poo.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:16 AM
ZyggZagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanboy99 View Post
If its purely about cap hit, then they would have signed erhoff at a 4 MM cap hit when the cash hit was 10 MM. There are trickle down effects with cash spent on a diminishing return basis, the ownership retained earnings will reduce over time and unless revenues keep pace, eventually margins and profitability fall to a point where the owner may not even be able to spend to the cap.

We are blessed to be in a high demand /return market but you can't keep dumping cash down the drain without corresponding impact...
He has a higher than 4M cap hit now, I'm pretty sure. Also, we didn't want to sign him for the number of years he wanted, plus Edler's contract is coming up and he would likely be getting more than Erhoff, so we can't set a high standard that leads to use losing Edler.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:16 AM
fools russian

Vigneault needs to adapt their play when the other team's MO is completely collapsing to the net. Just like the Boston series, a bunch of low-quality perimeter shots. Frustrating.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:17 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
The majority of the starts? They flip flopped games. Luongo won his last start and got this start.
I meant to use the future tense in that last sentence. I'm sensing that you're trying to make the point that whoever gets the majority of the starts is the rightful starter for this team (correct me if that's not the point you're trying to make, though). My point is that Luongo will likely get the majority of the starts as time goes on, but it's not like he's proving anything. He'll only be getting most of the starts because of his status and contract. I believe Schneider could absolutely show he deserves the job if given the chance. He won't, though.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Gillis/AV are ballsy enough to give some consecutive starts to Schneider. I'm not necessarily a Luongo hater, just someone who wants to see someone else in between the pipes for the Canucks. I'm getting really tired of Mr. Luongo.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:20 AM
vanboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
He has a higher than 4M cap hit now, I'm pretty sure. Also, we didn't want to sign him for the number of years he wanted, plus Edler's contract is coming up and he would likely be getting more than Erhoff, so we can't set a high standard that leads to use losing Edler.
Why would they not lock down Erhoff and trade Ballard for pucks or waive him?

Old
10-19-2011, 01:21 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Cody Hodgson was awesome, from this Ranger fan's POV...stood out, impressive, really, considering how well the Canucks played all night (know you guys must be pissed at not scoring given how well the team played, but the effort was there. Sometimes, you just face a hot goalie, and that's Lundqvist right now). He's got a great release on his shot, and just makes a ton of smart plays.

Edler was also awesome, never realized he had such great hands.
Lundqvist was epic. Congrats in the win

Old
10-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Cody Hodgson

I thought Hodgson was very good tonight.I think he'll start to pot in some more points soon.

His faceoffs have dipped the last few games but what he does offensively impresses me a lot.

The one thing I've noticed with Hodgson is that he seems to set up players with several good scoring chances a game but they totally just fail on his nice passes.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:22 AM
opendoor

It must be great for guys like Bieksa (the highest paid player on the team), Edler, Ballard, Samuelsson, Hansen, and Hamhuis (to a lesser extent). They can play like complete garbage and all anyone wants to talk about is Luongo.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:22 AM
KDizzle

Few things.

Edler needs to be stuck on the ice for a week straight and taught how to hit the goddammned net.

Samuelsson... need more effort out of him. There were a few plays that he looked terrible on. One defensive zone clear and Rangers pressure... then a subsequent neutral zone turnover had me face-palming. Then there was his work on the PP, just nothing. I wouldn't mind a Sturm/Samuelsson rotation depending on who is playing better. My guess is that because they both suck, we'll just end up having them rotate ineffectively until one of them (hopefully Sturm) gets dumped.

Team meeting is required. Get these guys playing "the right way". When they do, they're a good team, but when they play scared or dejected, then they become the SCF version.

They were playing well up until the 3rd and then 1 goal changed the whole complexion of the game. They need to keep at it no matter what happens and until they're capable of that, this team is going nowhere.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:23 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanboy99 View Post
Why would they not lock down Erhoff and trade Ballard for pucks or waive him?
Because it's not a video game.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:23 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

It's laughable to me when people who haven't played the game at a high level or know the game well just continue to make excuses for Luongo.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:24 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

I feel bad for Lu when he gets asked questions about crowd

Old
10-19-2011, 01:25 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
It's laughable to me when people who haven't played the game at a high level or know the game well just continue to make excuses for Luongo.
List the excuses made.

Old
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
Torres was worthless. It's good that he's gone. Granted, space-occupiers like Volpatti are just as worthless, but Torres is not to be missed.
Id prefer Torres over Sturm....

Old
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Depressing. We dominate the first 40 minutes and lose 4-0.

* We got a lot of shots in but many were perimeter on the #s a la Samuelsson. Plus we couldn't score on the PP.

* 1st goal is on Luongo re. juicy rebound
* 2nd is on Burr - went looking for a 2 on 1 and McDonough made him pay.
* 3rd is yikes -Bieksa pinching in + Ballard poor 2 on 1 coverage
* 4th who cares

* D pairing changes backfired. Hamhuis, Edler didn't look comfortable.

* I thought most of the forwards, except for Samuelsson, played well. Maybe a bit of an off game for the Sedins and Burrows. Kes was rusty. Hodgson keeps getting better offensively, so much stronger on the puck. Higgins >>>. Better game for Hansen and Malhotra as well. 4th line was quite good, esp. Wiese who obviously had something to prove. It helped that Sturm wasn't in the lineup.

Edit: one more thing. It seems the team forgot after the first 40 minutes that the Rangers do have some firepower and can make you pay if you become complacent.

Old
Aquiace
The Goggles!

It's clear to me now that the relationship between the Canucks and their fans is like a jealous spouse. We expected the Canucks to be invincible and when we found out they're not, we can't let it go.

There is no trust with this team and especially with Luongo. When this happened last year, we accepted it because we've always come out of the gate slow. But now, it's "you're doing it again! I caught you red handed!" People are obsessing over it, like a jealous husband or wife checking voice mails and emails and calling the office to make sure they are doing what they said they would do.

It sucks losing and it sucks worse losing the way we have so far this season. But we also lost this way last year a few times. The only thing that's changed is us. Maybe for once we should stop saying "it's all your fault for making me feel this way" and start saying maybe it's partly our fault for expecting standards that simply are not realistic.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:29 AM
NuxFan09

It's been said several times in the past that one of the hallmarks of this team is the ability to handle adversity. I don't know where the hell that came from because I think the total opposite is true of this team. They reflect Luongo, or Luongo reflects them. The whole team is mentally weak and when things aren't going right, whether it be things that are in their control or out of their control, they just collapse. They did well to get to the SCF but when they faced a team with an elite goalie and a system that counteracted their system perfectly, and when Kesler was too injured to carry them on their backs, they didn't know what the hell to do.

Tonight, they were the better team by far until Luongo let in that first goal. After that, the team totally gave in.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Continue here.