HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Any networking wizzes here? I am running out of ideas...

Old
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Giontatas

vCash: 500
Any networking wizzes here? I am running out of ideas...

Good afternoon
I am coming to you in my last effort before I go nuts and throw my PC at a wall.

Currently, I am living in an apartment building which offers WiFi internet that I pay for. Originally, I was using a Belkin b-USB WiFi dongle to recieve the wireless signal.

The strength was OKAY, enough that it would connect.
The internet requires us to log in on their page with our apartment address, and a generated password at a http://2.2.2.2 url.

Sometimes, it would take HOURS for this page to load. Others, INSTANTLY.

This drove me nuts. I couldn't figure out why this was happening. When I first moved in, this problem was neve rthere. Ever since I got back after the summer, internet has been hit or miss.

But I noticed that whenever I used my internet in the bathroom (Closest area to the entrance of the apartment) my iPad's internet would connect almost without a hitch.

So i figured it had to be an issue with my USB. Yesterday, I finally went out and bought a Netgear USB-n dongle. Tried it last night at around 2AM and it worked. I figured it was just a coincidence that I was having as some times it worked fine anyway.

Tried it this morning... and sadly, it still won't load. I can't connect to the log in page and once again, I am without internet.

Reddit, I need the internet at my apartment desperately, school, work, and fun... fun is important too!

Do I have any steps I could try before I have to go out and look for my own ISP? I am only in the building until January, so signing up for a year is such a waste...

My theory, is just some ********* is leeching the internet and is constantly downloading ****. I have nothing to base that one, but still... a theory.

Thank you so much reddit for helping me and my sanity... I would love to get this up and going

Giontatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:25 PM
neofury*

Pretty sure your theory is right, sounds like a pretty poorly setup system they have going there. I would ask for a refund on the internet aspect.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
hoss75

An app like wifi analyzer may help you to figure out if the channel is crowded, if there are blackspots, or if the signal is varying indicating router issues.

Unfortunately, I think that your theory is probably the best one.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I think considering that you could connect easily in the middle of the night but then have trouble during the day tells me the network can't handle all the traffic it gets. There isn't really anything you can do about that except maybe try to get closer to the access point.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Osprey

You should contact the building management. Your theory may be right: someone (perhaps a new renter since the Summer) may be heavily using BitTorrent, for example, explaining why you have trouble connecting during the day, but not in the middle of the night. Propose this theory to management and encourage them to analyze the traffic for BitTorrent use and/or simply block those ports. They ought to be receptive to your complaint, since, if someone is bringing down internet access for everyone, they want to hear of it. If they aren't receptive, throw some subtle or not-so-subtle suggestions that you'll move out and/or seek out apartment-rating websites (they must exist) and give them low marks.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
You should contact the building management. Your theory may be right: someone (perhaps a new renter since the Summer) may be heavily using BitTorrent, for example, explaining why you have trouble connecting during the day, but not in the middle of the night. Propose this theory to management and encourage them to analyze the traffic for BitTorrent use and/or simply block those ports. They ought to be receptive to your complaint, since, if someone is bringing down internet access for everyone, they want to hear of it. If they aren't receptive, throw some subtle or not-so-subtle suggestions that you'll move out and/or seek out apartment-rating websites (they must exist) and give them low marks.
Or threaten to call the Feds and say there are illigal downloads being done in the apartment.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer

Is your ISP Bell Canada?

Because if it is, their modems are programmed to throttle the internet to 75 kbit/sec during peak residential hours (4pm to 4am) as soon as somebody downloads a Torrent or uses a P2P program.

So basically, if anyone in your building is using one of those program between 4pm and 4am, it slows down the speed to an unusable level for anyone else using internet at the same time.

I had this problem in my last apartment, as one of my ******** roommate would always use torrents and nobody could connect to the wi-fi because of that.

Sergei Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:59 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Goldenhands View Post
Is your ISP Bell Canada?

Because if it is, their modems are programmed to throttle the internet to 75 kbit/sec during peak residential hours (4pm to 4am) as soon as somebody downloads a Torrent or uses a P2P program.

So basically, if anyone in your building is using one of those program between 4pm and 4am, it slows down the speed to an unusable level for anyone else using internet at the same time.

I had this problem in my last apartment, as one of my ******** roommate would always use torrents and nobody could connect to the wi-fi because of that.
It was 30kbyte/s when I had bell. They did the same thing for my business line too even though they told my boss they don't throttle business lines prior to us signing up. Worst company ever. Personally I'd just pay for my own internet as I'd hate to rely on somebody else (building) for internet. Just judging by how frustrated you sound (don't blame you fyi) you're like me in that regard

Old
10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
neofury*

Also it might not be that the dude is downloading fast but rather being a tool and allowing far too many connections per torrent or in general, which can create almost like a DDoS with all the different IP's slamming yours.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
invictus

30 and 75 KB a second? My god! How is that company in business?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote