HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-17-2011 NSH @ EDM The "Juicebox Hero" Edition

Old
10-19-2011, 12:46 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Poile said that Spaling is a top 6 forward because I heard him saying right after Weber arbitration hearing. I never mention bringing back the departed I don't know where you got that it from was more of an example. Their time has come and gone. Our problem is scoring mainly and sloppy play but the lack of scoring only magnifies the other problems.
First, Poile said that Spaling has the potential to be a top six forward. Not that he is one. People keep tossing that around as if it actually was said, but it wasn't. Geoffrion has the potential to be a top six forward. As does Beck. And Halischuk. None of them are there yet, and all four may never reach that potential. This "Spaling isn't a top six forward thing, and it's a joke that Poile said he is" mentality is both old and completely based in nonsense.

Second, I wasn't trying to say you think they should be brought back. I was saying that if you do think that then I have to disagree. I gave my reasons, so I won't again for the sake of space.

I think you have your last point reverse. It's hard to score when your team can't even get set up to take proper shots. A team that is averaging one goal in 9.5 shots isn't having a terrible time scoring, but a team that is averaging 23 shots per game isn't going to see too many opportunities. Right now the Preds are averaging 23 shots per game, but getting peppered with a little over 32 shots per game. This team has to find a way to maintain possession of the puck, set up in the offensive zone, and start creating chances. It will not only increase offensive productivity, but it will decrease the work load on the defense and Rinne.

Quote:
Wilson and Legwand and Smith have played one more game than Hornqvist has who do you expect to score then. Everybody had Wilson on the 4th line coming into this season and if wasn't for him coming out like a possesed man who has contributed most to that line where would the goals come from. That is where you ask yourself where are the goals coming from.

The Phoenix loss didn't bother me as much as the last two and it's not that we lost it happens it's the way we lost. 12 shots against Edmonton come on
I'm having a hard time following you here. The scoring is coming from Legwand, SK, Smith, Wilson, Suter, Klein, Weber (seven players who combine for 28 points in five games), Smithson, Tootoo, O'Reilly, Halischuk, and Spaling (five players with one point each in five games). 12 players with at least a point (compared to 13 players last year). Our leading scorer with 8 points (compared to 5 last year). Our next leading scorer with 5 points (compared to 4 last year). Again, we have guys who are getting points when given the opportunity. We aren't keeping the puck long enough to do anything with it.

Any game, win or lose, in which the Preds only have 12 shots on goal is terrible. Losing three games in a row sucks. Last year, they won three, lost three, won three, lost five, won two, lost one, won two, lost four, won three, lost one, won five, lost five (this is seriously how the season went through the end of December 18 wins and 19 losses). Of those 19 losses, 10 came from teams that didn't make the play offs. Five of those non-play off teams were in the bottom 10 in the league.

It sucks, but during an 82 game season you are going to see some streaks going both ways. The team is going to flat out suck some nights. Some bad teams are going to win against good teams. After five games it is much harder to put into perspective.

The reason I'm comparing this season to last is I seem to recall a lot of doom-and-gloom to start the year then, too, only it took a few more games to manifest since the team actually looked good out of the gate. Give it some time

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:41 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
First, Poile said that Spaling has the potential to be a top six forward. Not that he is one. People keep tossing that around as if it actually was said, but it wasn't. Geoffrion has the potential to be a top six forward. As does Beck. And Halischuk. None of them are there yet, and all four may never reach that potential. This "Spaling isn't a top six forward thing, and it's a joke that Poile said he is" mentality is both old and completely based in nonsense.

Second, I wasn't trying to say you think they should be brought back. I was saying that if you do think that then I have to disagree. I gave my reasons, so I won't again for the sake of space.

I think you have your last point reverse. It's hard to score when your team can't even get set up to take proper shots. A team that is averaging one goal in 9.5 shots isn't having a terrible time scoring, but a team that is averaging 23 shots per game isn't going to see too many opportunities. Right now the Preds are averaging 23 shots per game, but getting peppered with a little over 32 shots per game. This team has to find a way to maintain possession of the puck, set up in the offensive zone, and start creating chances. It will not only increase offensive productivity, but it will decrease the work load on the defense and Rinne.

I'm having a hard time following you here. The scoring is coming from Legwand, SK, Smith, Wilson, Suter, Klein, Weber (seven players who combine for 28 points in five games), Smithson, Tootoo, O'Reilly, Halischuk, and Spaling (five players with one point each in five games). 12 players with at least a point (compared to 13 players last year). Our leading scorer with 8 points (compared to 5 last year). Our next leading scorer with 5 points (compared to 4 last year). Again, we have guys who are getting points when given the opportunity. We aren't keeping the puck long enough to do anything with it.

Any game, win or lose, in which the Preds only have 12 shots on goal is terrible. Losing three games in a row sucks. Last year, they won three, lost three, won three, lost five, won two, lost one, won two, lost four, won three, lost one, won five, lost five (this is seriously how the season went through the end of December 18 wins and 19 losses). Of those 19 losses, 10 came from teams that didn't make the play offs. Five of those non-play off teams were in the bottom 10 in the league.

It sucks, but during an 82 game season you are going to see some streaks going both ways. The team is going to flat out suck some nights. Some bad teams are going to win against good teams. After five games it is much harder to put into perspective.

The reason I'm comparing this season to last is I seem to recall a lot of doom-and-gloom to start the year then, too, only it took a few more games to manifest since the team actually looked good out of the gate. Give it some time
If Trotz says that he likes Smithson for instance I take it that he likes Smithson and he does. When Poile says on 3 different radio shows when asked about what kind of offense he was going to get he said he didn't think that he had to because he said not a direct quote that with players like Spaling and O'Reilly specifically, because I thought he would mention Wilson but he never did, he says they could fill the slot of a top 6 forwards. He said that he may be the only one thinks that they can fill the void and be this season a top 6 forward and mention more than twice on each radio interview so if it was a joke it was bad joke told three times.
Last year is not the role model to follow. Yeah it worked out but to say because it worked out last year means it will work out again this year again of course I hope it does. But each year is different and the team is different and the offseason did have an effect on the team which didn't happen last year. The contracts of the big 3 and the tragedy of Belak.
The scores so far are 3-2 w @ Col ...4-2w @Stl ...5-2 L Phoe ...3-2 OTL NJ ...3-1 L @Edm ...The losses we only scored at least 2 goals and the goals are mostly coming from one line and now Trotz has moved Smith off that line ...The question is where are the other goals going to come from

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm not hoping for the same team as last year. My point was that this same sort of pessimism springs up nearly every year in nearly every fan base after a handful of games. It's the nature of the beast in a long season. In the NFL if you go 2-3 in your first five then it's a big deal. You have played 5 of your 16 games, and only have 2 wins. In the NHL teams routinely start strong inf the first 5-8 games only to die out, and teams start slow only to be among the best in the league. I agree that the team has sucked. I just don't think it's the time to start smacking my head against the wall.

Old
10-19-2011, 02:47 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not hoping for the same team as last year. My point was that this same sort of pessimism springs up nearly every year in nearly every fan base after a handful of games. It's the nature of the beast in a long season. In the NFL if you go 2-3 in your first five then it's a big deal. You have played 5 of your 16 games, and only have 2 wins. In the NHL teams routinely start strong inf the first 5-8 games only to die out, and teams start slow only to be among the best in the league. I agree that the team has sucked. I just don't think it's the time to start smacking my head against the wall.
Just like last year when we did go on a loosing streak changes were made such lineup changes...What happens if we loose the next two games then what?

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
mmcdonald11987

Send a message via AIM to mmcdonald11987
Quote:
Just like last year when we did go on a loosing streak changes were made such lineup changes...What happens if we loose the next two games then what?
then the clouds will part and the sky will begin to fall...apparently.

mmcdonald11987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:23 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I hope we don't start loosing too. Losing is bad enough but we don't need to follow behind the team with wrenches and screwdrivers remembering righty tighty.

No player, and no employee in general, is irreplaceable. If we lose one of the big three, it hurts the current team structure, but the world doesn't end and the team goes on. The team survived the departure of Timonen, Hartnell, Kariya, and Vokoun at once and it can survive the departure of one of the big three if necessary as well.

For now we're just going through the every season growing pains at the beginning of the season. It sucks to watch, but, it is the norm. Relax.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 10-19-2011 at 03:29 PM.
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I guess we all start running around crying blood. I don't know. What happens if we win our next two games? What happens if we lose one game that we played extremely well in, but lose the other while playing absolutely awful? Or vice versa?

Changes will be made. I'm not a coach so I don't see what these players do in practice or how they work on things they are told to work on. All I know if right now all of these players have to focus on the whole game rather than making the one play. And it is everyone's responsibility, not just Cal O'Reilly's or Nick Spaling's or Nicolas Bergfors' or Jack Hillen's. The only guy who is fully exempt is Rinne. He is continually doing his job. Legwand, too, for the most part.

Now, if you're wanting to know if I think a big change should be made, not really. And making a huge move out of desperation because the team has lost 5 of the first 7 (hypothetically speaking) would be silly. Honestly, I don't even know what that move would be. Minor tweaks are needed first. If those don't work, there is another bridge down the way that we can cross once we stumble upon it.

Old
10-20-2011, 03:22 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
What were we promised?
That we would spend more money than last year, midpoint. Hasn't happened, yet. Still may later on, but who knows?

That the kids will be alright. So far, not so good.

That we would do something in the forward dept after giving Franson and Lombardi away for cap space. Nothing yet.

That Spaling can be a top 6 guy. Hah. Not as of now.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote