HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers recalled Brayden Schenn; Zac Rinaldo and Harry Zolnierczyk to AHL

Old
10-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Back in Gretzky's rookie season, Jimmy Watson was hurt and couldn't play in a game at Edmonton. A body was needed, so the Flyers called up a draft pick from Brandon/Western Hockey League named Don Gillen. Gretzky scored a goal midway in the game and gave Edmonton a lead, then Gillen followed that with a goal almost immediately to tie it. The Flyers won. It was the only game he ever played for the Flyers. That won't happen with Harry Z. Keep the faith!
I was a big fan of Don's and thought he had a great future ahead of him here. I still remember Propp congratulating him after his goal. I loved that WheatKings team. They had some kind of firepower and Don was a big strong dude. Then puff he was gone.........

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Copperhead

Interloper here, just wondering what the chances of Couturier heading back to Junior are. Looking at your forward depth it seems like you have too many bodies for too few minutes. If Schenn / Couturier have to be on the 4th line it seems to me that one should be in the minors / junior to get more minutes. I realize he has been showing promise but would that justify 7 minutes a night?

Of course if Hartnell is traded...then that might solve the problem.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think this is pretty solid right here. Only thing I would do is swap JvR and Simmonds. Simmonds-Briere-Hartnell could be a very interesting line. Good lord, this season is so exciting. Haha.
Which is exactly the lineup I posted two or three posts before Spongulum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
My take on the lines

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Simmonds
Read-Schenn-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Nodl

the 2nd line could cycle really well, with either Hartnell or Simmonds getting to the front of the net. the 3rd line would have a lot of skill, and hopefully a lot of finish.

Just my thoughts.
I feel like people never read some posts sometimes.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I was a big fan of Don's and thought he had a great future ahead of him here. I still remember Propp congratulating him after his goal. I loved that WheatKings team. They had some kind of firepower and Don was a big strong dude. Then puff he was gone.........
He was sent to Hartford in the Rick MacLeish blockbuster. One of about nine or ten names/picks that got dealt. I don't know what happened to him after he got to the Whalers, played a few games as I recall.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
No, one point in his only game.

Al Hill has the NHL record for best debut, 5 points vs. St. Louis. He is still on the Flyers' staff as a scout.
I maybe wrong on this but one of his goals was a tap in that cost MacLiesh 50 goals that season. Rick shot it and it was just about to go over the line when Al tapped in it. Rick ended up with 49.I maybe wrong but that does ring a bell.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Which is exactly the lineup I posted two or three posts before Spongulum

I feel like people never read some posts sometimes.
I'd love to see that forward line up. It would get the best out of every player that's currently on the roster and it would be four very good line.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:19 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Interloper here, just wondering what the chances of Couturier heading back to Junior are. Looking at your forward depth it seems like you have too many bodies for too few minutes. If Schenn / Couturier have to be on the 4th line it seems to me that one should be in the minors / junior to get more minutes. I realize he has been showing promise but would that justify 7 minutes a night?

Not going to happen... It's been said by Laviolette and by Homer that Couturier will 100% not be sent back to Juniors.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Im trying to figure out how this is going to work. All i can say is that Simmonds has been playing way to well too be demoted a line and the same with Read.

If only we could get rid of Hartnell...

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Hartnell goes to the fourth line. The last time i was this excited to see a prospect was when Giroux came up. Make this count Schenn and stay with the big club
I loved G coming up and I have to admit he has by far exceeded my expectations.(He is my favorite player) But Jeff and Mike were the last ones I was really pumped to see play for us until now!! Looking forward to seeing him in action for us. Zac and Harry will be back in the future you can be sure of that.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:23 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
This makes Hartnell a very expensive fourth liner.

I just hope Schenn gets enough minutes.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:24 PM
WeekendAtBernies

My ideal lines (with the guys who are currently up here) would be:

Simmonds - Giroux - Jagr
JVR - Schenn - Briere
Voracek - Couturier - Read
Hartnell - Talbot - Shelley

I honestly think Danny B is terrible at faceoffs and is really struggling right now to find chemistry w/ his current linemates. I also think Danny is at his best sometimes coming off the wing and kind of sneaking down low. I think putting Schenn in the middle would solve the faceoff problem, and hopefully adding another skill player to his line will get him going.

On another note, our 2nd powerplay unit (Danny B, Voracek, JVR) has been nothing short of TERRIBLE. I think Schenn should get some looks on the 2nd PP unit for sure.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Not going to happen... It's been said by Laviolette and by Homer that Couturier will 100% not be sent back to Juniors.
Did they?? Do you have quotes or an article so i can read?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:25 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Rinaldo will be back.
I really really hope you are wrong.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:27 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post

So far our 4th line center has averaged 14.44 per game. If we continue to roll the lines like we do now (and take as many penalties), there's no trouble handing minutes to both Schenn and Couturier, even if one of them is on the 4th line.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:31 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Richards started at the second but he was so atrociously bad at times that he found himself on the fourth. Carter was always on the 3rd.
Your comment raised my curiosity, so I checked back through the GDT's from 2005-2006. The only thing that may be atrociously bad is your memory.

Richards was on the 4th line a couple of times that year. He was on the top line a couple of times during Forsberg absences. He was on the 2nd line for the majority of the first half of the year, until the Flyers traded for Nedved, at which time he moved to the 3rd line, behind centres Nedved and Forsberg.

Carter, however, spent a good deal of time on the 4th line behind a combination of Forsberg/Nedved/Handzus/Richards.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I maybe wrong on this but one of his goals was a tap in that cost MacLiesh 50 goals that season. Rick shot it and it was just about to go over the line when Al tapped in it. Rick ended up with 49.I maybe wrong but that does ring a bell.
That Brandon team had Brad McCrimmon, didn't it? Brian Propp, Ray Allison and Laurie Boschmann was the huge line.

I could be mistaken but I think JohnFlyersFan has a memory about that (49/50 goals) and he's told it on HF. Yes, MacLeish did get 49 one season, the last coming in the second to final game that season.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-19-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: memory not story
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
My ideal lines (with the guys who are currently up here) would be:

Simmonds - Giroux - Jagr
JVR - Schenn - Briere
Voracek - Couturier - Read
Hartnell - Talbot - Shelley

I honestly think Danny B is terrible at faceoffs and is really struggling right now to find chemistry w/ his current linemates. I also think Danny is at his best sometimes coming off the wing and kind of sneaking down low. I think putting Schenn in the middle would solve the faceoff problem, and hopefully adding another skill player to his line will get him going.

On another note, our 2nd powerplay unit (Danny B, Voracek, JVR) has been nothing short of TERRIBLE. I think Schenn should get some looks on the 2nd PP unit for sure.
Brière is at 56.5% at draws so far this season. Granted, he's not been close to that in the past, but still. Talbot and Couturier, however...

There are other aspects of being a center that is more troublesome with him though. He's quite simply not good enough defensively, and a bit too small, Hartnell took a huge load of the defensive work for the HBL line last year and Brière needs someone to do so for him again.

I think he's beginning to look better the past couple of games. Him and Voracek are beginning to find each other, but it can still be a lot better, that's for sure.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Since Couturier is a very good defensive forward, I would not move him to the wing. He has to play center. So the only option I see is him centering the 4th line, Talbot goes to the wing. Couturier and Talbot play very well together on the PK, they could do it too in the 4th line.

And I don't think we should send Hartnell to the 4th line, but to the 2nd line. Briere + Hartnell do wonders.

And seriously, having too many good players and not knowing what do to with them is a REALLY GREAT thing.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:39 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I really really hope you are wrong.
Are you serious? Rinaldo's the man.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Brière is at 56.5% at draws so far this season. Granted, he's not been close to that in the past, but still. Talbot and Couturier, however...

There are other aspects of being a center that is more troublesome with him though. He's quite simply not good enough defensively, and a bit too small, Hartnell took a huge load of the defensive work for the HBL line last year and Brière needs someone to do so for him again.

I think he's beginning to look better the past couple of games. Him and Voracek are beginning to find each other, but it can still be a lot better, that's for sure.
hahahaha

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post

Well I got yelled at by a few people on here that told me Talbot will easily do well on faceoffs this season.

Im STILL waiting for that to happen.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
hahahaha
Damnation. I should proof read better, I suppose.

Old
10-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Since Couturier is a very good defensive forward, I would not move him to the wing. He has to play center. So the only option I see is him centering the 4th line, Talbot goes to the wing. Couturier and Talbot play very well together on the PK, they could do it too in the 4th line.

And I don't think we should send Hartnell to the 4th line, but to the 2nd line. Briere + Hartnell do wonders.

And seriously, having too many good players and not knowing what do to with them is a REALLY GREAT thing.
Agreed. There is some argument about whether Schenn or Couturier should be 3C or 4C, because the one who gets 4C will not have as much chance to develop.

I don't see it as a problem. The fact is, we've got our 4 centres set for the foreseeable future and it's Giroux, Briere, Schenn, Couturier.

At some point, Schenn and/or Couts is going to warrant the 2 slot and push Briere to the wing but for now, it is what it is, which is a very good lineup for the next several years.

We traded Carter and Richards and got two great centres and two great wingers in return, plus a couple picks, and cap room to sign Bryzgalov.

The off-season was a disaster for Holmgren. How are the Flyers going to score enough goals to win? How can they make the playoffs with this lineup???

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:10 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Agreed. There is some argument about whether Schenn or Couturier should be 3C or 4C, because the one who gets 4C will not have as much chance to develop.

I don't see it as a problem. The fact is, we've got our 4 centres set for the foreseeable future and it's Giroux, Briere, Schenn, Couturier.

At some point, Schenn and/or Couts is going to warrant the 2 slot and push Briere to the wing but for now, it is what it is, which is a very good lineup for the next several years.

We traded Carter and Richards and got two great centres and two great wingers in return, plus a couple picks, and cap room to sign Bryzgalov.

The off-season was a disaster for Holmgren. How are the Flyers going to score enough goals to win? How can they make the playoffs with this lineup???
I was one of the cautious posters in regards to the offseason, I don't recall anyone saying it was a "disaster". IIRC, most people were just implying it was a big risk.

I've said it all offseason, we were, and still are, the definition of an unknown. I sure hope these first 5 games are indicative of the entire year though.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:10 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Back in Gretzky's rookie season, Jimmy Watson was hurt and couldn't play in a game at Edmonton. A body was needed, so the Flyers called up a draft pick from Brandon/Western Hockey League named Don Gillen. Gretzky scored a goal midway in the game and gave Edmonton a lead, then Gillen followed that with a goal almost immediately to tie it. The Flyers won. It was the only game he ever played for the Flyers. That won't happen with Harry Z. Keep the faith!
Gotta make most of the time you get and he did. Guarantee next time they're an injury he'll be a strong runner for it. Look at Nodl. Made the most of his time he was given because of one reason or another, and eventually found a spot on the roster.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote