HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers recalled Brayden Schenn; Zac Rinaldo and Harry Zolnierczyk to AHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
  #101
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Brière is at 56.5% at draws so far this season. Granted, he's not been close to that in the past, but still. Talbot and Couturier, however...

There are other aspects of being a center that is more troublesome with him though. He's quite simply not good enough defensively, and a bit too small, Hartnell took a huge load of the defensive work for the HBL line last year and Brière needs someone to do so for him again.

I think he's beginning to look better the past couple of games. Him and Voracek are beginning to find each other, but it can still be a lot better, that's for sure.
Had no clue he was over 50% for the season on draws... that's what I get for not checking the stats, haha. However, I know based on historical stats (and a larger sample), he is far from a good faceoff man.

From my point of view, Danny just seems the most obvious to slide over... draws have been a weakness in the past for him, and he doesn't play well enough in the defensive end to be a center. Putting him on the wing would allow his skill set to shine more IMO.

Schenn and Couturier on the other hand have the size and the ability on draws that you want in a center and both excel at the defensive aspects of the game.

The three scoring lines should be:

Simmonds - Giroux - Jagr (same as the 1st powerplay unit... they have good chemistry)

Voracek or JVR - Schenn - Briere (Give Briere two skill players to work w/ and get him out of the middle)

JVR or Voracek - Couturier - Read

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
  #102
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,001
vCash: 500
I really hope this means we've seen the last of Rinaldo and Shelley. Quite frankly, this team would be better off with Nodl, Zolnierczyk, Holmstrom, Testwuide...the list goes on and on of cheap contracts that would be more helpful.

Also, Hartnell will not be a fourth liner. It will be either Read or Couturier.

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn/Couturier - Schenn/Couturier
Nodl - Talbot - Read

Or

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn/Couturier - Read
Nodl - Schenn/Couturier - Talbot

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
  #103
Clancy
Registered User
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Dependent on chemistry

JVR G Jagr
Jake Schenn Briere
Simmonds Coots Read
Nodl Talbot Rinaldo
Z

Is what I would like to eventually see, moving Hartnell for a high pick or young D prospect or packaging him and Carle for a more well-rounded D-man.

Clancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
  #104
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I was one of the cautious posters in regards to the offseason, I don't recall anyone saying it was a "disaster". IIRC, most people were just implying it was a big risk.

I've said it all offseason, we were, and still are, the definition of an unknown. I sure hope these first 5 games are indicative of the entire year though.
Agreed. Also, I don't recall anyone here saying we won't make the playoffs. There's a difference between making the playoffs, and going for gold however.

We didn't trade for two centers either. We traded for the 8th pick. So far, it looks like we were extremely fortunate to have Couturier fall that far.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
  #105
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,749
vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Richards was on the 4th line a couple of times that year. He was on the top line a couple of times during Forsberg absences. He was on the 2nd line for the majority of the first half of the year, until the Flyers traded for Nedved, at which time he moved to the 3rd line, behind centres Nedved and Forsberg.

Carter, however, spent a good deal of time on the 4th line behind a combination of Forsberg/Nedved/Handzus/Richards.
Hitchcock had a bunch of combos that season (2005-06) and with Forsberg's uncertainty, there were shifts. Richards had Jon Sim and Mike Knuble as linemates in preseason (Jon Sim had a hat trick in one preseason game) and they were temporarily reunited at one point during the season. Donald Brashear and Brian Savage were on Richards' line, too during the regular season, among other combos. Carter was with Ben Eager (earlier) then Niko Dimitrakos and Umberger. I'm pretty sure that was the second line entering the playoffs; I could go back and check, too.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:27 PM
  #106
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I really hope this means we've seen the last of Rinaldo and Shelley. Quite frankly, this team would be better off with Nodl, Zolnierczyk, Holmstrom, Testwuide...the list goes on and on of cheap contracts that would be more helpful.

Also, Hartnell will not be a fourth liner. It will be either Read or Couturier.

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn/Couturier - Schenn/Couturier
Nodl - Talbot - Read

Or

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn/Couturier - Read
Nodl - Schenn/Couturier - Talbot
Read on the 4th line is a slap in the face. Hartnell NOT on the 4th line is sending the message that you don't need to preform to play top 9 minutes, and at the expense of the 2nd leading scorer.

But I'd put Hartnell with Briere.

Read-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-JVR
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Nodl

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:34 PM
  #107
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Had no clue he was over 50% for the season on draws... that's what I get for not checking the stats, haha. However, I know based on historical stats (and a larger sample), he is far from a good faceoff man.

From my point of view, Danny just seems the most obvious to slide over... draws have been a weakness in the past for him, and he doesn't play well enough in the defensive end to be a center. Putting him on the wing would allow his skill set to shine more IMO.

Schenn and Couturier on the other hand have the size and the ability on draws that you want in a center and both excel at the defensive aspects of the game.

The three scoring lines should be:

Simmonds - Giroux - Jagr (same as the 1st powerplay unit... they have good chemistry)

Voracek or JVR - Schenn - Briere (Give Briere two skill players to work w/ and get him out of the middle)

JVR or Voracek - Couturier - Read
I don't think you're wrong really, and I would be absolutely shocked if he keeps up that faceoff stat. In the future, I suppose he'll move to wing when there's no way of keeping Couturier or Schenn down on the fourth line. Unless there are some trade(s) made of course...

We moved Carter to wing rather than having Brière (or Giroux) there though, so I'm not holding my breath waiting for Schenn and Couturier to push him aside.

I have no problem seeing Couturier centering the fourth line during his rookie season however.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:37 PM
  #108
DeflatedFootball7
Registered User
 
DeflatedFootball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,946
vCash: 500
JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
Read-Briere-Couturier
Hartnell-Talbot-Nodl
Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Meszaros-Timonen
Coburn-Lilja

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Thoughts?

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:46 PM
  #109
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
That Brandon team had Brad McCrimmon, didn't it? Brian Propp, Ray Allison and Laurie Boschmann was the huge line.

I could be mistaken but I think JohnFlyersFan has a memory about that (49/50 goals) and he's told it on HF. Yes, MacLeish did get 49 one season, the last coming in the second to final game that season.
Yep that is the team. The Allison-Boschmann-Propp line was on fire. Yes the beast was on that team as well. 76-77 was the year MacLeish had 49. I just need to go back and see when Al came up.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:50 PM
  #110
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,981
vCash: 500
JvR - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Read - Couturier/Schenn - Simmonds
Talbot - Schenn/Couturier - Nodl

OR

JvR - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Hartnell - Couturier/Schenn - Read
Talbot - Schenn/Couturier - Nodl

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:56 PM
  #111
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Read on the 4th line is a slap in the face. Hartnell NOT on the 4th line is sending the message that you don't need to preform to play top 9 minutes, and at the expense of the 2nd leading scorer.

But I'd put Hartnell with Briere.

Read-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-JVR
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Nodl
Hartnell is a better player than Read. This is a numbers game. I like Read, but until he is one of the 9th best forwards on this team, he should not regularly be in the top 9.

That said, he might be in the top 9 offensively, which means Couturier should drop. Laviolette already admitted that Couturier is not as strong offensively as Schenn at this moment.

I'd like to see...

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr/Read
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Jagr/Read
Talbot - Couturier - Nodl

PK
Couturier - Nodl/Read
Talbot - Read/Nodl

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
  #112
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hartnell is a better player than Read. This is a numbers game. I like Read, but until he is one of the 9th best forwards on this team, he should not regularly be in the top 9.

That said, he might be in the top 9 offensively, which means Couturier should drop. Laviolette already admitted that Couturier is not as strong offensively as Schenn at this moment.

I'd like to see...

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr/Read
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Jagr/Read
Talbot - Couturier - Nodl

PK
Couturier - Nodl/Read
Talbot - Read/Nodl
Lavy has shown that he will play the players that are playing better. I think at the moment, Lavy see's Read (averaging around 15-16 minutes a night) playing better than Hartnell (averaging around 11).

Hartnell is older than Read, but currently, right now, is absolultely not playing better than Read is. There is a reason why one is on the PP and the other is not. This is kinda weird reading this from a Nodl fan though when last season he was far from the 9th best forward on the team and still played in the top 9.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:08 PM
  #113
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
No, one point in his only game.

Al Hill has the NHL record for best debut, 5 points vs. St. Louis. He is still on the Flyers' staff as a scout.
Thats the guy!

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
  #114
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,843
vCash: 500
Oh **** yes! Thanks for the great goal though Harry!

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
  #115
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,749
vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Yep that is the team. The Allison-Boschmann-Propp line was on fire. Yes the beast was on that team as well. 76-77 was the year MacLeish had 49. I just need to go back and see when Al came up.
It was midway in the 1976-77 season. He replaced a guy named Drew Callander who, oddly considering the topic at hand (Harry Z., Al Hill, etc.), scored on his first shift in the NHL. The game in which All Hill scored five points was nationally televised back when the NHL offered syndicated broadcasts.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:13 PM
  #116
Lead Role in a Cage
Registered User
 
Lead Role in a Cage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
I think Schenn is one of the more interesting players entering the NHL. I hope he does really well with the Flyers organization and develops into one of the better 200ft players around.

His climb up the roster should be interesting, no matter if its takes a small little while or not.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:18 PM
  #117
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,063
vCash: 50
For now, I'd go with:

JVR - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Read
Talbot - Couturier - Nodl
Shelly ()

PK:
Talbot - Read
Couturier - Nodl

I'd prefer to have one veteran on each line, although at times I could see Talbot/Couturier out at the same time.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:20 PM
  #118
flyershistory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Niagara Falls Canada
Country: Estonia
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Harry Z is more like Don Gillen - 1 GP, 1 goal

flyershistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:23 PM
  #119
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
For now, I'd go with:

JVR - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Read
Talbot - Couturier - Nodl
Shelly ()

PK:
Talbot - Read
Couturier - Nodl

I'd prefer to have one veteran on each line, although at times I could see Talbot/Couturier out at the same time.
Based on the reports from practice today, I assume this is the line-up for tomorrow night--though I wouldn't be suprised if Talbot is centering that fourth line instead of Couturier, at least at the start.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:28 PM
  #120
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,843
vCash: 500
Isn't Nodl still out with a nagging injury? Also Shelley's suspension is over, so I guess that is why Rinaldo was sent back down as well. So Schenn instead of Harry Z and Shelley instead of Rinaldo.

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Simmonds-Briere-Voracek
Couturier-Schenn-Read
Hartnell-Talbot-Shelley

Throw in Lilja instead of Walker. Seriously... we need to get rid of Shelley something awful...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:37 PM
  #121
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,513
vCash: 500
Nodl was practicing on the 4th line, and Shelly was centering the 3rd (obviously as a place holder)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
  #122
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Nodl was practicing on the 4th line, and Shelly was centering the 3rd (obviously as a place holder)
That's... just ****ing no... even if it is just for ***** and giggles... just ****ing no...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
  #123
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,058
vCash: 500
With schenn up and Rinaldo and Z sent down i don't see anyone talking about the cap space we have or should i say don't have someone is going to be moved at some point and i think it will be hartnell. We cant go through the season with little or no cap space for injuries and call ups..Let the hartnell to nashville rumours start up agian.And hartnell's play has been going down hill since the start of the season......

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
  #124
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Lavy has shown that he will play the players that are playing better. I think at the moment, Lavy see's Read (averaging around 15-16 minutes a night) playing better than Hartnell (averaging around 11).

Hartnell is older than Read, but currently, right now, is absolultely not playing better than Read is. There is a reason why one is on the PP and the other is not. This is kinda weird reading this from a Nodl fan though when last season he was far from the 9th best forward on the team and still played in the top 9.
He certainly was offensively if I remember correctly.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
  #125
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
With schenn up and Rinaldo and Z sent down i don't see anyone talking about the cap space we have or should i say don't have someone is going to be moved at some point and i think it will be hartnell. We cant go through the season with little or no cap space for injuries and call ups..Let the hartnell to nashville rumours start up agian......
I could see teams having interest in Bob and Hartnell.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.