HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2011, 01:07 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Sigh. Maybe I am being over the top, but I think any progress we have made in the first 4 games this year will be instantly reversed the second DP is announced as the starter.

No conditioning starts in AHL? Check
Not awarding our goalie tandem with starts despite both of them looking great? Check
Laughing stock of league again? Check

Look, it is as simple as this. If starting goalie goes down, then back-up goalie plays. Once starting goalie comes back, back-up goalie returns to back-up regardless of play. If you have 3 healthy goalies and you are claiming none of them are the clear-cut starter, then you let their play warrant their playing time.

If DP starts either of the next 2 games, we know which scenario our team is under. Joke's on us.
That post is a box of awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
Lets hope the concussion not serious and Rick is ok. Its terrible to see these guys never recover from concussions. As a New York hockey fan I hope Rick can stay on the Islanders roster for this year and many years to come.
Am I to detect an irony from your user-name?

Again.....we don't know what he's got for game until he takes frequent starts and gets into a rhythm. Since he needs to be dealt with in the same way Strome was (i.e.; have a seat in the pressbox before you go back to a developmental league, kid).......PLEASEFORTHELOVEOFCHRISTPUTHIMINBRIDGEP ORT.....

Old
10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Lets hope the concussion not serious and Rick is ok. Its terrible to see these guys never recover from concussions. As a New York hockey fan I hope Rick can stay on the Islanders roster for this year and many years to come.
Give it a rest already.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Yitz

Quote:
Sigh. Maybe I am being over the top, but I think any progress we have made in the first 4 games this year will be instantly reversed the second DP is announced as the starter.

No conditioning starts in AHL? Check
Not awarding our goalie tandem with starts despite both of them looking great? Check
Laughing stock of league again? Check

Look, it is as simple as this. If starting goalie goes down, then back-up goalie plays. Once starting goalie comes back, back-up goalie returns to back-up regardless of play. If you have 3 healthy goalies and you are claiming none of them are the clear-cut starter, then you let their play warrant their playing time.

If DP starts either of the next 2 games, we know which scenario our team is under. Joke's on us.
Actually, if you have 3 healthy goalies and you are claiming none of htem are the clear-cut starter, then you let them all play and THEN see who played best and who deserves ice time. I'd rather go with Monty and Nabby but DP had his best preseason in a while and I'd like to see what he has against a team like Florida.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
Actually, if you have 3 healthy goalies and you are claiming none of htem are the clear-cut starter, then you let them all play and THEN see who played best and who deserves ice time. I'd rather go with Monty and Nabby but DP had his best preseason in a while and I'd like to see what he has against a team like Florida.
I get what you're saying, but consider this:

DP has a brainfart/bionic meltdown on the ice, posts modest stats while the team looses 4-3. How is that taking every point possible when the Isles just wound up giving two MORE points to a team they could be fighting for a playoff seed? Florida is the kind of team they should NOT test DP on.

Which goes back to the main point. DP needs to be fed a consistent amount of starts to improve or to even see how resilient he is or isn't......why sacrifice the Islanders for it? THAT's what it's become. In Bridgeport, he gets evaluated where his likely rocky start doesn't rob the ISLANDERS of points. Keeping him on the top roster reverses the kind of progress mentioned in "13th Floor's" post.

Last edited by 88th Precinct: 10-19-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
It's not that simple when one of the three goalies is signed to a long-term, multi-million dollar contract and is still considered by the organization to be one of the faces of the franchise. That's the (sad) reality. No amount of carefully crafted, in-a-perfect-world message-board depth charts can change that.

Whether you like it or not, as long as DiPietro is physically able to man the position on a given night, he will be in the 2-man, 3-man, x-man goalie rotation.

Old
10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Symon Asher

I believe Cappy has a 1 year contract. (I could be wrong)
If he wants an extention he needs to make the playoffs. He will play the goalie that gives the Isles their best chance to win. Politcs are out the window.

Old
10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
That post is a box of awesome.

Am I to detect an irony from your user-name?

Again.....we don't know what he's got for game until he takes frequent starts and gets into a rhythm. Since he needs to be dealt with in the same way Strome was (i.e.; have a seat in the pressbox before you go back to a developmental league, kid).......PLEASEFORTHELOVEOFCHRISTPUTHIMINBRIDGEP ORT.....

The Islanders may not be my primary team but it is my best friends. He would be the first to tell you he would like nothing more then to see DiPietro in a Islanders jersey for the rest of his career. How many more years on his contract?

Old
10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
The Islanders may not be my primary team but it is my best friends. He would be the first to tell you he would like nothing more then to see DiPietro in a Islanders jersey for the rest of his career. How many more years on his contract?

Sounds like your friend follows the team his favorite player is on.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Okay then - here in lies the problem.....

He'd be the first, followed closely by so many others on this very board. Just because so many other people as so in love with DP that it's become nearly pathetic; the team is in healthier, more capable hands with Montoya and Nabokov, all we can thank DP over the last several years is providing a means to collect high picks because Snow couldn't find two NHL-proven goalies willing to get relegated to the back-up position once DP came back.

Now, we've got TWO goalies who can likely provide better play while DP recoups. Why bring him on the trip? Shouldn't his history suggest that certain heightened level of caution be taken? Why go and rush him back, "putting him in games the Isles should win" when DP IS NOT THE HOLY FREAKING GRAIL, THE STANLEY CUP IS?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The "shouting over the interwebs" is far more for everyone reading in, than you in particular; I had a positive attitude about DP for a long time, but logic comes FAR before heartstrings in my priority list, and I'm not psyched to see him rushed back to likely fail just because he addressed the crowd at the NVMC with a tear in his eyes talking about how great it felt to be an Islander when rushing back and not developing a rhythm and a consistency in Bridgeport is a DETRIMENT TO THE ISLANDERS.

Others can spin his contract (which I hate) or his heart, determination and love for the team (which I still manage to admire) any way they want and say "live with it, like it or not, or BLAH-BLAH-BLAH....".....living with mediocrity is SETTLING for mediocrity, accepting mediocrity, and telling the person next to you not to throw stones at something that's BS just because 'the tallest tree is the first one cut. Don't make noise, just pay attention to what's in front of you.' You never progress if you settle for less, and one oft-injured goaltender in a development league is what EVERY SANE GM IN THE LEAGUE WOULD DO. Everyone would see that a bit more clearly if they looked at DP as any anonymous roster player rather than turning him into some Islanders' great figurehead. He hasn't won anything at the NHL level, and until Nabokov or Montoya really royally sucked for 5 games, sit him and let Nabokov pump his value for trade time, so we can get a crack at having that top-4 defenseman everyone's starved for.

I'm sorry to come off harsh, but I'm amazed that people are so blinded by the LOW-PERCENTAGE chance that after all his injuries, DP could just jump back in as the #1 and justify it by a BONEHEAD contract. Redden's making $6mil - he's in the AHL. So what? You play solid or hit waivers. The only reason he should be dressed is if the team needs his cap hit, but what happens if Montoya's injured in a standings-pivotal 3-1 game and Nabby's in the pressbox and DP has barely played in a month? What will we say if DP gets lit up for 3 goals and the team loses? "Oh, he's just shaking off the rust/he needs more starts/he'll get there soon"?????? F THAT. There IS no SOON - you either play every game to win or get swept off the ice!!!!

I'd bet that the minute the team finds a way to put DP in the AHL without dipping under the cap floor, most of us will rejoice for the stability of the Islanders in the same breath that we express regret for DP's situation.....those who don't need to check the calendar date - DP isn't the face of the franchise anymore, and as such, there's no justification to accepting a choice that will negate the work put forth by the REAL franchise player, John Tavares.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
OpAck

Quote:
As far as giving him his chance, I agree......but goalies need more than a start here & there.....they need consistency, which does less damage in the AHL. I wouldn't give him NHL start #1 until he played at least 10-15 in the Bridge to warm his body up to compete level above what he sees in practices.
Exactly. If he is to be given his last "fair shot", the Isles need to commit to him as the #1 goalie. Not get a game in here and there...if we're really serious about testing his surgically repaired lower half...he needs, at least 75% of the starts this season going forward. Because ultimately...he is paid to be our starting netminder for the next 10 seasons. Giving him his fair shot will require sitting Montoya and Nabokov for lengthy stretches. 4 games to Rick, 1 game to Al, 4 games to Rick, 1 game to Nabby. That's the amount of workload we should expect from Rick for the balance of his contract. I'm not sure about the full rules, but I'm guessing they could make a similar arrangement in Bridgeport...but then you're sitting Poulin and Nilsson in the AHL.

The Isles are ready to take the next step. But Rick has yet to prove that he can live up to his contract as a starting netminder that can carry this club. We've yet to see him play a string of 3 games, and play them well enough to carry this team. So I've taken the whole, "Well he had a good camp..." in stride. That doesn't mean anything. For what this guy has been through with his knees...it's going to take a season or two AS STARTER for us to really know what we've got.

Some people think he deserves that chance because he's been such a good soldier, others see a team that is ready to take that next step now and feel that Rick may prolong this team's instability and uncertainty. Some also see much younger, more attractive options in net long term...compared to what has been an oft-injured, 30-year old that has only 2 30-win seasons to his credit and has only started 39 games in the past three seasons. It's a shame, because I like Rick. But, we're in a bind because alot of people just want to move on. This team has brought in some really good alternatives to Rick...we're no longer in a position where all we have is Joey MacDonald and Yann Danis.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
number72

Here is the solution - trade DP as a fighting goalie to Philly.
The fans will love him glass jaw and all

Old
10-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Exactly. If he is to be given his last "fair shot", the Isles need to commit to him as the #1 goalie. Not get a game in here and there...if we're really serious about testing his surgically repaired lower half...he needs, at least 75% of the starts this season going forward. Because ultimately...he is paid to be our starting netminder for the next 10 seasons. Giving him his fair shot will require sitting Montoya and Nabokov for lengthy stretches. 4 games to Rick, 1 game to Al, 4 games to Rick, 1 game to Nabby. That's the amount of workload we should expect from Rick for the balance of his contract. I'm not sure about the full rules, but I'm guessing they could make a similar arrangement in Bridgeport...but then you're sitting Poulin and Nilsson in the AHL.

The Isles are ready to take the next step. But Rick has yet to prove that he can live up to his contract as a starting netminder that can carry this club. We've yet to see him play a string of 3 games, and play them well enough to carry this team. So I've taken the whole, "Well he had a good camp..." in stride. That doesn't mean anything. For what this guy has been through with his knees...it's going to take a season or two AS STARTER for us to really know what we've got.

Some people think he deserves that chance because he's been such a good soldier, others see a team that is ready to take that next step now and feel that Rick may prolong this team's instability and uncertainty. Some also see much younger, more attractive options in net long term...compared to what has been an oft-injured, 30-year old that has only 2 30-win seasons to his credit and has only started 39 games in the past three seasons. It's a shame, because I like Rick. But, we're in a bind because alot of people just want to move on. This team has brought in some really good alternatives to Rick...we're no longer in a position where all we have is Joey MacDonald and Yann Danis.
That amount of work load cannot support his body..If he plays 10 games in a row he will be crippled. The trainers treat ever scrape like he is a 5 yr old hemophiliac. Though sadly I think this is the only course the Islanders can take. Let him play and throw him out there to the point where the doctors will give him 2 options - the goalie stick or the cane. Let him play every game until his body breaks down and this will be the final season we ever have to deal with this mess ever again!!

Old
10-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Isles Junkie

Wang really sucks. Just let the people you pay to make the hockey decisions make the obvious decision. Ricky in the Press Box FOREVER

Old
10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Exactly. If he is to be given his last "fair shot", the Isles need to commit to him as the #1 goalie.
Not even. Uh-uh....be a #1 in Bridgeport, call Poulin up when Nabby gets traded and let DP take a year to show the proof in the pudding.

Squeeze EVERY point out of the standings you can with goalies that don't need "evaluation." No "half-a55ing" - that's tantamount to saying "oh, well - we weren't winning the cup this year anyway..."

Old
10-19-2011, 07:44 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Not even. Uh-uh....be a #1 in Bridgeport, call Poulin up when Nabby gets traded and let DP take a year to show the proof in the pudding.

Squeeze EVERY point out of the standings you can with goalies that don't need "evaluation." No "half-a55ing" - that's tantamount to saying "oh, well - we weren't winning the cup this year anyway..."
Well, that's what I was alluding to...the fact that, if we're truly hellbent on giving him one last fair shot...he'll need to get at least 4 of 5 starts somewhere, either here or Bridgeport. And I don't know if there are any guidelines or rules we must follow if we want to send him to Bridgeport for half or all of a season. I remember a few seasons ago, we were able to send him to Bridgeport only for like, a 2-week conditioning assignment. I don't know if we would just have to put him on waivers in order to get him down there long term...and if that's the case, it's not like any team would put a claim in.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Brian Compton posted on twitter today:

Quote:
DiPietro says he's not worried about taking another shot to the head. "You know me better than that by now." #Isles
Quote:
Getting a lot of questions as to whether DiPietro will get a start on this trip. I believe he will, most likely Saturday at Florida. #Isles
Quote:
That's just a guess, though. Capuano said this morning he hasn't decided yet. #Isles
If Monty starts tomorrow and we win.. DP comes in Saturday and gets ripped up there's going to be so much venom aimed at him I almost feel sorry him cause we know this is how it'll go down.. This situation is just terrible for everyone.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:16 PM
LongIslandHockey36

I feel bad for the guy and I want him to return being an excellent goaltender. But, somewhere in the near future, this insanity has to stop. We can't have a question mark in net right now if we ever want to even smell the playoffs.

Right now, DP is that question mark. If we want to win games, DP needs to have a nice stint in the AHL, before we even think of giving him any time between the pipes.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
If Monty starts tomorrow and we win.. DP comes in Saturday and gets ripped up there's going to be so much venom aimed at him I almost feel sorry him cause we know this is how it'll go down.. This situation is just terrible for everyone.
I know I always feel bad for multi millionaire crybabies who don't get everything they want in life.

Old
10-20-2011, 02:52 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I know I always feel bad for multi millionaire crybabies who don't get everything they want in life who can have a fine career as a commentator for the team they love rather than screwing them out of positioning in the standings.
Had to add that. .....just needed to be said.

Good to see that being an Islanders fan and worshiping DP aren't mutually exclusive across the board. Cheers to you, good sir.

Old
10-20-2011, 04:51 AM
HookeyPookey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Here is the solution - trade DP as a fighting goalie to Philly.
The fans will love him glass jaw and all
argh argh I lol'd

Old
10-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Isles Junkie

I don't want DP in the AHL either.

This isn't the NY DiPietros. It's the NY Islanders, and Poulin, Nilssons & even Koskinens development are FAR more important than trying to fix a lost cause.

Ricks days as a #1 goalie are over. Ricks days as an NHL goalie may very well be over. Everyone can see it except for Rick & Wang. It would be a shame if he took even 1 game away from those kids.

I don't even think Snow is in his corner. He's towing the company line, and maybe he isn't even giving Wang the advice he needs to hear because he knows how Charles feels about him. But I can't believe that a former goalie himself would think Rick has anything left.

The alumni games will be epic though with Garth at one end & Rick at the other.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Had to add that. .....just needed to be said.

Good to see that being an Islanders fan and worshiping DP aren't mutually exclusive across the board. Cheers to you, good sir.
I said almost feel bad for him haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I don't want DP in the AHL either.

This isn't the NY DiPietros. It's the NY Islanders, and Poulin, Nilssons & even Koskinens development are FAR more important than trying to fix a lost cause.

Ricks days as a #1 goalie are over. Ricks days as an NHL goalie may very well be over. Everyone can see it except for Rick & Wang. It would be a shame if he took even 1 game away from those kids.

I don't even think Snow is in his corner. He's towing the company line, and maybe he isn't even giving Wang the advice he needs to hear because he knows how Charles feels about him. But I can't believe that a former goalie himself would think Rick has anything left.

The alumni games will be epic though with Garth at one end & Rick at the other.
I 100% agree here.. At this point it's like he's above the uniform and more important than the team. If Rick some how comes out and gets shut outs in his next couple outings and stays healthy while giving the team solid effort I'll take it all back but as of now he's a number 3 goalie in my opinion.

Old
10-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Personally win or lose let him keep playing the next 5-10 games. Then a break and play another 4 games in a row. Win or lose the organization, fans and even Rick Dipietro need to see if his body can manage that work load. Can he still be a top notch goalie with that work load. Let him start 40 games this season and we will end this discussion once and for all if he is worth it.

My bet is he wont last 15 games, so let him play until he is broken down completely!!

Old
10-20-2011, 05:36 PM
ziggy7716

I don't get why everyone is saying he needs starts in Bridgeport first, like does everyone realize he played and was the best of all 3 goalies in the pre-season? He is perfectly fine right now. He deserves to get his 1st start to see how he does.

How about you wait until that happens before everyone writes him off.

Old
10-20-2011, 07:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
I don't get why everyone is saying he needs starts in Bridgeport first, like does everyone realize he played and was the best of all 3 goalies in the pre-season? He is perfectly fine right now. He deserves to get his 1st start to see how he does.

How about you wait until that happens before everyone writes him off.
He's done. His knees swell still, his glove was sporadic like it's always been, Monty was better in the preseason, he still takes forever to get up (though quicker than last try-out/#1 goalie scenario) and his knee joint in all medical journals is not fit for professional sports.

But he has lovely curls in his locks. He deserves NOTHING....not until #1 and #2 fail. THEN.....he gets a look. The goal is to WIN.

Team, not jersey number. Look at the front of the jersey and try and root for that thing with the alligator thingy on it (it's really Long Island, but...)

Closed Thread