HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts on Wolski

Old
10-19-2011, 02:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
mr invisible doesnt do much himself erik christensen says hi
Erik Christensen makes $900K a season and doesn't complain about his role, which is frequently being a 13th forward.... Wolski makes nearly $4 mil a year and is a former 60 point getter and you don't see why the coaching staff would hold these 2 players to different standards in terms of their productivity/performance?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I think it's pretty obvious at this point that Wolski is not going to be here long.
How is it obvious when he has been injured since training camp and has barely even been on the ice with the team?

Quote:
i agree w2 isnt gonna be here long.
NOW is not the time to get rid of Wolski. The time to get rid of Wolski was during the buyout period for $417,000.

Listen, Tortorella saw something in Wolski that allowed him to get another chance here even at an outrageous price. If, for some reason, he's now back-peddling on that commitment, then he's got no one to blame for an overvalued player on his roster than himself.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
How is it obvious when he has been injured since training camp and has barely even been on the ice with the team?

NOW is not the time to get rid of Wolski. The time to get rid of Wolski was during the buyout period for $417,000.

Listen, Tortorella saw something in Wolski that allowed him to get another chance here even at an outrageous price. If, for some reason, he's now back-peddling on that commitment, then he's got no one to blame for an overvalued player on his roster than himself.
As an earlier poster mentioned the comments by Torts are clearly meant to send a message to W2...it seems to me Torts is losing patience with W2, pretty sure that's where the speculation about W2's tenure here being short. I have to agree with those posters based on W2' history.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Slick Rick 61

Quote:

Absolutely. At this point you're stuck with him for now. Might as well put him in a position to thrive by allowing him to utilize his skill. If, when he comes back, he lines up with Rupp and Newbury, it's going to be poor asset management.

Give him a shot on the top 6, or at least the top 9 with PP time. If he's on, he gives the team much-needed skill. If it doesn't work, you have a heavily overpriced asset.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
As an earlier poster mentioned the comments by Torts are clearly meant to send a message to W2...it seems to me Torts is losing patience with W2, pretty sure that's where the speculation about W2's tenure here being short. I have to agree with those posters based on W2' history.
Huh? What's the message? Rush back from injury, be completely ineffective, delay your recovery, possibly re-injure yourself?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Huh? What's the message? Rush back from injury, be completely ineffective, delay your recovery, possibly re-injure yourself?
Do you think Torts would have said that about W2 if he didn't have doubts?

Old
10-19-2011, 03:51 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
4 words. **** Wolski, get Doan.
Good luck with that one

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
OverTheCap

I still can't believe Wolski wasn't bought out. Silly decision by Slats and Torts. I guess they thought he was a better option than some of the alternatives out there. But if Wolski and his $3.8 million are going to be playing 4th line minutes, that's bad cap management. Par for the course for Sather.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'm sure if Tortorella didn't want to give Wolski anymore chances, he would've made Sather deal his ass outta town way before the season. Can't blame them that they didn't because it is his contract year.....

I like Wolski when he's on. Who can't? But I can't stand him when his lack of heart and motivation inhibits his ability to use his size and skill - which happens more often than not.

I'm all for giving him a couple more months. If he doesn't change, send him down or send him away. No need for anybody with a lack of heart - especially with this guy's track record - to be on the team.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:59 PM
mullichicken25

first, whats the point of having an ignore feature when i still have to see what the person posts when everyone quotes him?

second, this reeks of Brooks trying to create something out of nothing

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
first, whats the point of having an ignore feature when i still have to see what the person posts when everyone quotes him?

second, this reeks of Brooks trying to create something out of nothing
Quite possible. Wouldn't be the first or the last time he does that.

Old
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
i agree w2 isnt gonna be here long. he "guesses so" ? what a ****ing clown comment that is right there.

hes everything torts hates. hes talented. hes european. hes got no "jam". dude is gonzo soon.

eventually we will have a whole line of brandon prusts.

good bye avery.
good bye zuc.
good bye w2.

if i were anisimov i wouldnt be buying a place anytime soon.
Wolski was born in Poland but he grew up in Mississaugua Ontario. For all intents and purposes Wolski is a Canadian. Another thing is I wouldn't mind having another Prust but I do get your point that the Prust's are hackers and whackers (he just happens to be one that is high end version of that) and Wolski has an abundance of talent. The problem for us is getting him to show it. His compete level isn't as high as some others. That is why he may be in the dog house.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

He gave Wolski one preseason game alongside Richards and Gabby before he bailed on that and threw Dubinsky up there.

Look at Torts' track record with players like Zherdev and MZA since he's been here.

Wolski is exactly that mold. He's a guy with offensive skill and ability and doesn't offer much else.

The first shift the guy takes if he doesn't throw the body or forecheck like a pittbull and that's it for him. Torts has shown this over and over again. And it's not going to change because players like Wolski don't really just change the way they've played their whole lives.

Wolski is not going to get top PP minutes here. Even if Torts elects to use 4 forwards.

Who do you see him replacing in the current lineup? Feds? I doubt it. Torts values him way more than Wojtek. So if not Feds than who?

It looks like the only place for Wooly when he does come back is on the fourth line.

And we know that means he's getting like 6 minutes a night.

For $3.8 million?

Connect the dots. It's pretty obvious.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

EC sucks too, ODC. That's why he's the 13th forward. But EC makes a mil and W2 makes 4. Obviously one is going to have loftier expectations that he simply did not live up to last year, and hasn't had a chance to yet this one.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Vitto79

before we crap on Wolski how about we give him a chance to play on the first line. It's bound to happen.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
He gave Wolski one preseason game alongside Richards and Gabby before he bailed on that and threw Dubinsky up there.

Look at Torts' track record with players like Zherdev and MZA since he's been here.
And the Flyers take on Zherdev pretty much mirrored the Rangers'. He became a healthy scratch and was an unsigned UFA who's back where he belongs - in the KHL. Hell, he couldn't see eye to eye with Columbus' management, either, and they've been starving for offensive talent since they joined the league. Zherdev's inability to hang on to the NHL is his own damn fault.

Quote:
Wolski is exactly that mold. He's a guy with offensive skill and ability and doesn't offer much else.
And, again, another guy that has frustrated management where ever he's been.

Quote:
The first shift the guy takes if he doesn't throw the body or forecheck like a pittbull and that's it for him. Torts has shown this over and over again. And it's not going to change because players like Wolski don't really just change the way they've played their whole lives.
Which is no excuse. Adapt. Torts' wants you to be defensively responsible for the team and your teammates. This isn't about checking like a "pitbull", it's about backchecking and being responsible.

Quote:
Wolski is not going to get top PP minutes here. Even if Torts elects to use 4 forwards.

Who do you see him replacing in the current lineup? Feds? I doubt it. Torts values him way more than Wojtek. So if not Feds than who?

It looks like the only place for Wooly when he does come back is on the fourth line.

And we know that means he's getting like 6 minutes a night.
And who do you bump to the 4th line instead? WW isn't a fourth line player - but neither are any of our top 6 (AA, Dubi, Callahan, Steps, Gaborik, Richards) and our third line (Prust/Feds/Boyle) were remarkably consistent last year. It's a problem, for sure. But, I don't think WW has shown enough in a NYR uniform to warrant bumping any of our top 9 to a 4th line role. Torts here is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. People would scream bloody murder if Stepan, AA, Cally, Dubi, etc.. were on the 4th line given the effort they usually bring.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Sam and Joe said Wolski was skating hard and is getting close to coming back. How is it he can't get out of the tub today?
Sam and Joe get paid to market the club. You should know this by know.

Quote:
Do you think Torts would have said that about W2 if he didn't have doubts?
Torts HATES Brooks. All of his comments to him are short and chippy. Lets put this into context of how Torts typically replies to Brooks, rhetorical questions, get short sarcastic responses.

Brooks: initates question on Wolski
Torts forced to answer: We can't get him out of the tub.
Brooks (given basically no info by Torts because Torts hates him then asks): For his groin?
Torts: I guess so. ...(aka Brooks go the F away I'm not giving you squat)

So in his blog, because Brooks got no info he adds in "$3.8M cap hit. Hmmm." to stir things up more because he got squat from the coach.

All I get from this is it's a typical conversation between Brooks and Torts, Wolski is hurt and Brooks is pointing out that Wolski makes 3.8m which has nothing to do with anything at this point because you can't waive a guy who's hurt.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Sam and Joe get paid to market the club. You should know this by know.

Torts HATES Brooks. All of his comments to him are short and chippy. Lets put this into context of how Torts typically replies to Brooks, rhetorical questions, get short sarcastic responses.

Brooks: initates question on Wolski
Torts forced to answer: We can't get him out of the tub.
Brooks (given basically no info by Torts because Torts hates him then asks): For his groin?
Torts: I guess so. ...(aka Brooks go the F away I'm not giving you squat)

So in his blog, because Brooks got no info he adds in "$3.8M cap hit. Hmmm." to stir things up more because he got squat from the coach.

All I get from this is it's a typical conversation between Brooks and Torts, Wolski is hurt and Brooks is pointing out that Wolski makes 3.8m which has nothing to do with anything at this point because you can't waive a guy who's hurt.
From the NYDN blog:
Wojtek Wolski (sore groin) has practiced every day so far this week and felt better after Wednesday’s skate than he did on Monday. But Tortorella wasn’t exactly brimming with confidence when asked whether Wolski was making progress.

“He’s gotta get out of the tub,” Tortorella said, presumably meaning Wolski still must spend significant time recovering off the ice. “Can’t get him out of the tub.”

Old
10-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I still can't believe Wolski wasn't bought out.
Torts comment reflects some doubts about that decision not to buy him out. Which Torts had a say in I would think. That's it IMO. There is precious little time to waste and Wolski has still not proved he belongs on the team four games into the season. He's impatient. I would be to if I went out on a limb for the guy.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Torts comment reflects some doubts about that decision not to buy him out. Which Torts had a say in I would think. That's it IMO. There is precious little time to waste and Wolski has still not proved he belongs on the team four games into the season. He's impatient. I would be to if I went out on a limb for the guy.
again he is hurt. Let's see what he does when he actually pays.

Also it's not going to be hard to make a move with him since he can become a UFA next yr. Kuba makes sense. Ottawa clears a spot on D for kids and they give Wolski a trial

Kuba is overpaid alla Rozsival but he atleast knows Torts system

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
From the NYDN blog:
Wojtek Wolski (sore groin) has practiced every day so far this week and felt better after Wednesday’s skate than he did on Monday. But Tortorella wasn’t exactly brimming with confidence when asked whether Wolski was making progress.

He’s gotta get out of the tub,” Tortorella said, presumably meaning Wolski still must spend significant time recovering off the ice. “Can’t get him out of the tub.”
Anyone else picture Wolski floating around in the tub with some rubber duckies and tug boats and Torts yelling at him to get out? Wolski - "Not yet!"

Old
10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Anyone else picture Wolski floating around in the tub with some rubber duckies and tug boats and Torts yelling at him to get out? Wolski - "Not yet!"
i am now lol.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
I almost spit my beer on my laptop...I asked Pat Leonard from the NYDN if Torts comments meant he was losing patience with WW...here are his 2 responses.

@NYDNRangers
Pat Leonard
@Masucc maybe, or that he's wondering how close he really is to returning

@NYDNRangers
Pat Leonard
@Masucc Woslki voiced on Monday too how frustrating it was he wasn't ready. He wants to play, but has to keep skating

Old
10-19-2011, 06:24 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Like my new avatar?

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:26 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Picturing? No. Fantasizing? YES!

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote