HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wednesday, Oct. 19th Jets Papers (with tonight's projected lineups & pdf lineup card)

Old
10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Wednesday, Oct. 19th Jets Papers (with tonight's projected lineups & pdf lineup card)

Wednesday, Oct. 19th Jets Papers

Sportsnet: Brunt on Jets - A song in the heart of a city. The man who broke the news that NHL hockey was returning to the city of Winnipeg with a great read on the Jets return.

CBC: Jets land in T.O. building towards 'A' game. Kessel was a Thrashers killer and looks to continue that trend and his goal scoring tear tonight against the Jets.

Winnipeg Free Press: A human Swiss Army Knife. Slater and the rest of the GST line bring a level of compete that coach Noel feels comfortable with, since he has used them fairly heavily already this season.

Winnipeg Free Press: Teenage Burmistrov best Jet so far. Simply put he has been the best Jets player through 4 games.

Winnipeg Free Press: Parallel paths? The reality is that the Jets #1 pick will be up for another 5 games and who is to say he doesn’t break out in game 6 or 8. Our prospects expert Kyle Kosior will have his thoughts on Scheifele later today.

Windsor Star: Leafs work on power play. Well if it makes Leaf fans feel better the Jets have been even more ineffective (currently 30th) than them on the pp.

Globe and Mail: Soaring Winnipeg Jets start road trip in Toronto. Can the Jets turn around the power play? Coach Noel might “not be worried” (his words in yesterday’s scrum) but this team is 0 for 17.

Winnipeg Sun: Breaking bad habits. The Jets coach was still not happy during practice yesterday. When I asked Jim Slater what he thought he and his GST line needed to be doing, he laid it out as follows:

Quote:
It’s real simple to be honest with you, it’s the most simple game, playing great defensively, winning faceoffs, killing faceoffs putting pressure on the other team’s d and top lines, and getting pucks to the net, it’s a real simple recipe but its worked for me over the years, so I want to continue to do it.
Winnipeg Sun: Noel clears up the ‘chaos’. Was a bit surprised that coach Noel talked publicly about calling that meeting with the Jets players leadership.

Toronto Sun: Odd tales from Thrashers land. Some former Thrashers give their take on what life was like in Atlanta. With a return to the NHL we get a return to Toronto attitude:

Quote:
In the end, both players felt the move to Winnipeg was outstanding. That, in itself, should tell you something.
Toronto Sun: Dudley passes on watching ‘his’ Jets. Much like people in Winnipeg couldn’t bear to watch the Coyotes, I can empathize with the Thrashers former GM.

Winnipeg Sun: Leaf game still special for Jets. Toronto might feel a lot like Winnipeg based on all the Peggers’ or former Winnipeggers who will be in attendance tonight. When I told Jim Slater that he might hear a ‘Go Jets Go’ chant and see a number of Jets jerseys at the ACC he said:

Quote:
It’s great anytime you hear it, it puts a smile on your face, it’s cool to have fans traveling to other arenas to watch you play, we didn’t get that much in Atlanta but to have fans traveling to see us play, it’s great to see the Jets jerseys in the stands for sure.
Winnipeg Sun: Jets short snappers. Kane should be playing, Meech to make debut, Scheifele getting calls for tickets and doesn’t look like Manitoba native James Reimer will be starting against the Jets.

Illegal Curve: Game Day Preview - Jets @ Maple Leafs. (including line up projections).

Illegal Curve: Jets/Leafs lineup card.

Last edited by ICdave: 10-19-2011 at 03:26 PM.
ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Great morning reading here.

Thank you for posting these daily.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
thanks for the read!

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:34 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

My pleasure guys! Glad you enjoy.

Old
10-19-2011, 12:36 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Prospect Pulse: Send Scheifele Down

I think like-minds can agree that Mark Scheifele is a great talent and that he had a phenomenal training camp, easily earning a spot on the Jets. I think we can all agree that its time for the Jets to do the right thing in terms of asset management and send him back to the OHL.

The 18 year old played a respectable 13:44 in the first game against Montreal, registering one shot on net. That total dropped to 9:25 in game 2, with no shots and a minus. The Phoenix game saw his highest ice-time total, with 16:22, before Monday’s 7:06.

The fact of the matter is that Scheifele is not impacting games at this level. In watching last night’s hard fought win against Pittsburgh, the youngster did not seem to be able to muster the same urgency as his teammates, and displayed none of the creativity or talent of a Burmistrov. To my eye, he has been tentative and a step behind the other players.

More on whether or not Scheifele should be sent down after the jump.

What do you guys think should be done with the Jets 1st overall pick?

Old
10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Tintin's Ghost

I would say send him back to the O and let Hawerchuk groom him into the player the Jets need him to be in 2-3 years. Additionally, he would get opportunity w/Team Canada for the WJC's and that would be phenomenal for his development as player and leader.

I am tempered by the fact that Burmistrov has been our best forward IMO so far and he clearly was not hurt in development by staying in the Show last year.

If Scheifele pots a few or racks up some assists next few games then what? Is the roster set up to have a third line that is not purely checking minutes and can offer sheltered minutes?

All thing being equal, I go with sending him back to junior with the tie-breaker in decision being his contract. If we keep him up this year then he needs to be re-upped the year after Burmi and Bogo get new contracts. Keep some $$$$ around to add some vet free agents (complimentary players) to round out the young roster, like Colorado did this year. All of this will not matter if Chipman decides to go Begula in the off season and spend the money he has.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:29 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
I would say send him back to the O and let Hawerchuk groom him into the player the Jets need him to be in 2-3 years. Additionally, he would get opportunity w/Team Canada for the WJC's and that would be phenomenal for his development as player and leader.

I am tempered by the fact that Burmistrov has been our best forward IMO so far and he clearly was not hurt in development by staying in the Show last year.

If Scheifele pots a few or racks up some assists next few games then what? Is the roster set up to have a third line that is not purely checking minutes and can offer sheltered minutes?

All thing being equal, I go with sending him back to junior with the tie-breaker in decision being his contract. If we keep him up this year then he needs to be re-upped the year after Burmi and Bogo get new contracts. Keep some $$$$ around to add some vet free agents (complimentary players) to round out the young roster, like Colorado did this year. All of this will not matter if Chipman decides to go Begula in the off season and spend the money he has.
The Scheifele situation is odd. He hasn't really done anything deserving of being sent down. They haven't really put him in any situations to show he should stay either. It's kinda hard to tell what the plan was. The only thing I can think of is Noel wants to keep him, but management wants to send him back. How much can an offensive center really show playing 7 minutes with 2 minor leaguers?

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
The Scheifele situation is odd. He hasn't really done anything deserving of being sent down. They haven't really put him in any situations to show he should stay either. It's kinda hard to tell what the plan was. The only thing I can think of is Noel wants to keep him, but management wants to send him back. How much can an offensive center really show playing 7 minutes with 2 minor leaguers?
I think if Noel was dead set on him staying, he would have put him in more situations to be successful.

Without the benefit of any insider information, I would suggest that the plan was if the kid did well in the preseason to give him the 9 games, and either way return him to junior. He is after all only a CHL softmore this year.

I know you and I have had a spirited discussion about the benefits (percieved or otherwise) of returning him to junior, I don't think we need to re hash that.

10-19-2011, 02:50 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I think if Noel was dead set on him staying, he would have put him in more situations to be successful.

Without the benefit of any insider information, I would suggest that the plan was if the kid did well in the preseason to give him the 9 games, and either way return him to junior. He is after all only a CHL softmore this year.

I know you and I have had a spirited discussion about the benefits (percieved or otherwise) of returning him to junior, I don't think we need to re hash that.
I am not looking to. Noel said he would be very surprised if Scheifele went back. That's what is confusing.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Winnipeg Jets Afternoon News

Winnipeg Jets Afternoon News

Toronto Star: Kyle Wellwood at home with Jets. Apparently Wellwood picked up some russian when he played in the KHL, which helps with his two russian speaking linemates.

Toronto Sun: Beyak and the Jets return to Toronto. We really enjoy the job that Dennis has done.

Toronto Sun: Set for Jets? Feels more like the Thrashers. When Reimer hears the "Go Jets Go" chants at the ACC, he will start to feel that nostalgia.

TSN: Jets’ Scheifele hoping to force team’s hand. Wouldn’t that be a nice surprise for the team.

TSN: Jets start Pavelec against Remier. Should be a good goalie battle tonight. Guessing folks in Morweena, Manitoba will have some divided loyalty. Munz has tonight’s expected lines.

Globe and Mail: The return of the Jets sideshow hits Toronto. Mirtle earlier tweeted that he had never seen a show like this before:

Quote:
The Jets dressing room was a complete zoo today. More media than possibly ever in the visiting room.
Toronto Sun: Gardiner in lineup as Leafs host Jets. Jets rookie Mark Scheifele won’t be the only rookie with something to prove tonight.

NHL.com: Jets blue-line could be tested. Defencemen Ron Hainsey and Mark Stuart were both hurt against Pittsburgh (although Stuart returned to play in 3rd) but I am looking forward to watching Meech become the first Manitoban to play for the Jets.

Flint Journal: Lapeer’s Jim Slater tied for team lead in goals for Winnipeg Jets. Had a good conversation with Slater of the GST line about the similarities between living in Manitoba and Michigan.

ChrisD: Local athletic therapists gloating working for the Jets. Working with an NHL team in your home province is a special experience and one these guys are quite proud of.

Last edited by ICdave: 10-19-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old
10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
In my opinion Noel said too much when he said multiple times that he would be "stunned" if Scheifele was sent back to Barrie.

But hey, it is what it is, and certainly a learning experience for everyone.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
If Scheifele doesnt pick it up today and tomorrow....
he isnt leaving Ontario with the Jets

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:51 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
I am not looking to. Noel said he would be very surprised if Scheifele went back. That's what is confusing.

Supahdupah my guess is Coach Claude would like a due over on that statement (even if Mark were to go off now and stick with the team). The kid definitely exceeded expectations in training camp and was lights out in the pre-season but I remember at the time when Noel uttered those now famous words I felt it was a really strong statement especially for the head coach to make to the press. What was the upside of making that prediction at that point in time? I am guessing it was more an emotional statement in the spur of the moment and it just shows we are all human and make mistakes. I am a big fan of Mark and think he has a really bright future and am thrilled with the draft pick. I really hope he get a few points before he is sent back (if).

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote