Notices

Robidas

Old
10-15-2011, 11:35 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

vCash: 500
Robidas

How much value do you think he holds around the league, and what do you think we could get for him in a trade?

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
A couple bad games won't get him traded.

I think a 2nd, maybe part of a package for a top 6 winger if he eventually does.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
A couple bad games...

uhh....

While not perfect, overall I think he's been the cause of more goals against than pretty much anyone else. Especially after his atrocious decision making and situational awareness... which is why he's playing with Souray.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 07:21 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
i don't think he's played poorly... for a #3 dman. to me, he's most ineffective on the pp. if you take away those minutes, he's back to around 20min a game, which would be ideal for him.

if talkin' about the giroux breakaway saturday night, i thought it was a good decision to join the rush. if anything, it was poor positioning by his teammates, particularly souray, who was too close to umberger before the easy breakaway pass.

to answer the original question, i'd guess a 3rd/4th or a slightly-less-than-blue-chip prospect. 2nd+top 6 wingers seems like a pipe dream.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:12 AM
ginblossoms

just finished watching last night's game. from what i saw, robidas' errors were from poor execution and not decision-making. missing the net on the offensive rush i mentioned in my last post and not clearing it out of the zone late in the 3rd. these sorts of things i expect from a #3 dman.

Old
10-16-2011, 11:09 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Well the question doesn't really relate to his poor play as of late. I just feel like we have a bit of a log jam at d and feel like robidas has the best mix of expendability and value around the league

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:20 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
to answer the original question, i'd guess a 3rd/4th or a slightly-less-than-blue-chip prospect. 2nd+top 6 wingers seems like a pipe dream.
You're undervaluing him.

If you wanted to maximize your return the time to trade him was either of the past 2 trade deadlines. He could've easily brought back a 1st rounder. Chris freaking Campoli went for a 2nd. Bryan McCabe, who is terrible, fetched a 3rd.

At the moment you could probably get a 2nd.

But I think it's pretty clear that the Stars are committed to Robidas for the duration of his contract. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Larsen take his roster spot right now, just don't think that's in the cards.

Step 1 is putting him with the player he plays well with (Grossman).

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:02 PM
ginblossoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
You're undervaluing him.

If you wanted to maximize your return the time to trade him was either of the past 2 trade deadlines. He could've easily brought back a 1st rounder. Chris freaking Campoli went for a 2nd. Bryan McCabe, who is terrible, fetched a 3rd.

At the moment you could probably get a 2nd.

But I think it's pretty clear that the Stars are committed to Robidas for the duration of his contract. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Larsen take his roster spot right now, just don't think that's in the cards.

Step 1 is putting him with the player he plays well with (Grossman).
perhaps. examples you mentioned are clear overpayments for those players. with those comps, there definitely should be some gm out there who would give up a 2nd for a tough-as-nails guy like robidas.

that said, i'm answering the question "what's fair value for robidas?" more than "what could robidas fetch on the market?"

ultimately i'd prefer to keep robidas around through the end of his contract. with goose around and souray hopefully taking robidas' pp1 minutes (& signing an extension of some kind), robidas would slide nicely into the 3/4 role he's ideal for. from the first couple games this season, i still think larsen is not ready for prime time yet.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
ScubaSteve*

They really should have sold high on Robidas two years ago.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
They really should have sold high on Robidas two years ago.
This. ... Oh crap I agreed with ScubaSteve.

Old
10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
This. ... Oh crap I agreed with ScubaSteve.
Me too.

The legend of Robidas seems to be everywhere but on HFboards. On DBD they were talking about all the mistakes he made last game but that it was "ok" b/c everyone knows he's a workhorse...

Somehow his ability to hit, take hits, and play through injuries 2 years ago gives him a pass with a lot of people. He's been our worst D-man this season so far tbh.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I was on this bandwagon two years ago. It may be revisited this deadline. I'm also of the opinion if you don't work out an extension with Grossman you trade him before losing him for nothing as a UFA. We've gone down that road already. He's worth a decent prospect/or 1st himself.

In Robidas' case somehow grit has made up for talent/ability on the ice. That should never be the case.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Grit didn't make up for his lack of talent or ability, it enhanced both. Let's stop acting like he's always been a talentless hack playing over his head. It's not like asked to be given a top defender's role, he merely does what the organization and coaching staff ask of him.

Also, for those who want to see him traded, and I am sort of in that camp but for different reasons...he has a NTC. He's the kind of guy who would probably waive it if asked depending on the situation, but it is there and something to be worked out.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I'm a massive Grossman fan, he just doesn't hit enough to be considered a solid Dman to me anymore. I don't see how on earth he fetches a 1st round pick though, that's ludicrous.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Cin,

At the trade deadline people give up crazy things for a player. I'd almost rather have the prospect (depending on who it is) but something like a 1st/early 2nd for him is not outside the realm of possibility.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Sorry but I don't even see Brian Burke giving up a 1st for him.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
txomisc

I don't think Robidas has had anywhere near a good game yet this year.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:20 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Not making excuses but looking for answers here. Any chance he is dealing with some sort of lingering recuperation from his offseason surgery?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Not making excuses but looking for answers here. Any chance he is dealing with some sort of lingering recuperation from his offseason surgery?
This is exactly what I think is the case. He doesn't look like he's skating anywhere near 100%, which is right in line with a prolonged recovery from his hip surgery. Because of the chances he takes with his positioning, it makes sense that even a little step downward in that department can make him look as rough as he has.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I'm a massive Grossman fan, he just doesn't hit enough to be considered a solid Dman to me anymore. I don't see how on earth he fetches a 1st round pick though, that's ludicrous.
As a Tampa fan, Grossman really intrigues me as we desperately need a second pairing shutdown dman. What do you believe his value is (it's definitely not a 1st round pick in my eyes)?

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
As a Tampa fan, Grossman really intrigues me as we desperately need a second pairing shutdown dman. What do you believe his value is (it's definitely not a 1st round pick in my eyes)?
I would rather not trade Grossman, if we don't have to... I'd want an overpayment for him, unless his intention is to be a 25 game rental.

Old
10-20-2011, 04:14 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
I would rather not trade Grossman, if we don't have to... I'd want an overpayment for him, unless his intention is to be a 25 game rental.
My thinking exactly, I'm not saying he'll be coming at a discount since he's a great shutdown defenseman. However, I still don't believe he'll garner an overpayment of a 1st round pick. I was thinking of something in the range of Brett Clark and a 2nd round pick in 2012. My reasoning is that it'll still give Dallas a serviceable 5th defenseman and give you a decent draft pick in a fairly deep year. Also, it would give Fistric a more permanent opportunity to move into a top 4 role. Brewer was traded to us as a 25 game rental and the Blues only received a 2nd rounder in 2011 from us.

How would you guys feel about that offer?

Old
10-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
This is exactly what I think is the case. He doesn't look like he's skating anywhere near 100%, which is right in line with a prolonged recovery from his hip surgery. Because of the chances he takes with his positioning, it makes sense that even a little step downward in that department can make him look as rough as he has.
I'm in this boat as well. He's not near as mobile as I remember him, and as we all remember from the Zubov saga, hip issues take a long time to get better (if they do at all). Depending on what exactly he had fixed, I'm not surprised he's not moving as well as I'm used to.

On the flip side, you have Steve Ott, who is skating like a demon now that his ankle is finally fixed. It's amazing what impact a nagging/recovering injury can have on a guy's speed.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
My thinking exactly, I'm not saying he'll be coming at a discount since he's a great shutdown defenseman. However, I still don't believe he'll garner an overpayment of a 1st round pick. I was thinking of something in the range of Brett Clark and a 2nd round pick in 2012. My reasoning is that it'll still give Dallas a serviceable 5th defenseman and give you a decent draft pick in a fairly deep year. Also, it would give Fistric a more permanent opportunity to move into a top 4 role. Brewer was traded to us as a 25 game rental and the Blues only received a 2nd rounder in 2011 from us.

How would you guys feel about that offer?
Brett Clark? He's basically Robidas except he's even less physical?

I'll... pass. I'd rather trade Robidas for Brett Clark and a 2nd. Grossman is like 7 years younger than Brewer and doesn't come with a 4 million dollar pricetag.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:05 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Brett Clark? He's basically Robidas except he's even less physical?

I'll... pass. I'd rather trade Robidas for Brett Clark and a 2nd. Grossman is like 7 years younger than Brewer and doesn't come with a 4 million dollar pricetag.
Fair enough, that'd still be good value for us. Robidas would be an immediate upgrade to our current d.