HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Wildcats a little too wild

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 04:51 PM
WUNHSptsDir

vCash:
Wildcats a little too wild

UNH Suspended 8 players this week because they went out and viewed the riot that occurred after the Red Sox were eliminated from the playoffs the other day. The UNH Website had this to say...

"Seniors Nathan Martz and Tyler Scott, juniors Matt Hoppe, Tyson Teplitsky, and Robbie Barker, sophomores Andrew Leach and Mark Kolanos and first-year student Brett Hemingway will sit out two games on October 24 and 25 and will not travel with the team to the Punch Imlach College Hockey Showcase Tournament in Buffalo, N.Y. at HSBC Arena. "

A stupid move by some kids who are supposed to have their heads screwed on right for a championship run. This news breaking the day that UNH was placed on top of the USCHO Poll by 5 points over BC.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:16 PM
jiggs 10

vCash: 500
Ouch! This will probably hurt them down the road! It's hard to overcome the loss of 2 players, let alone 8! But what's the big deal if they were watching the riot? Were they participating? If not, it's nobody's business.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:42 PM
ttnorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
Ouch! This will probably hurt them down the road! It's hard to overcome the loss of 2 players, let alone 8! But what's the big deal if they were watching the riot? Were they participating? If not, it's nobody's business.
Coach Umile specifically told the guys to stay away and they didn't.
Quote:
This program has a history of service to the campus and the broader community. We would rather continue in that role than be the audience to those who choose to be disruptive and disrespectful to the community.
Following the riots in Minnesota, Umile was right to take a strong stand. The guys were told what was expected and chose otherwise. Good for coach sticking to his principles.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

WUNHSptsDir :

Thanks for posting that. I read that over on the USCHO site and couldn't believe it.

I agree with jiggs that Umile was right in doing what he did, especially since he gave fair warning ahead of time.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Terry O

Send a message via AIM to Terry O
The story is getting more bizarre. The local paper is reporting that 2 of the hockey players may have been drinking at the 'riot'. Also when the student leaders asked them to move they either ignored or got mouthy. The article says the AD questioned the players and they denied it. The coach says he is handling internally.

http://www4.fosters.com/News2003/Oct...s/du_1023a.asp

Old
10-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveur55
The story is getting more bizarre. The local paper is reporting that 2 of the hockey players may have been drinking at the 'riot'. Also when the student leaders asked them to move they either ignored or got mouthy. The article says the AD questioned the players and they denied it. The coach says he is handling internally.

http://www4.fosters.com/News2003/Oct...s/du_1023a.asp
reveur55: thanks for the link! I'm gonna play devil's advocate here for a moment. Unless there's PROOF that alcohol was indeed consumed (and I'm not saying that there wasn't) then the university should discipline the players like they'd discipline any other student. But if the proof isn't there, then it's a case of "my word against yours". The fact that the players got "mouthy" about it, won't work in their favour IMHO when they have to come before the Senate in the case.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:01 AM
canadahockeygirl*

Are there any other students that have had charges brought up on them, or are the hockey players the only ones being singled out?

Old
10-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Terry O

Send a message via AIM to Terry O
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
Are there any other students that have had charges brought up on them, or are the hockey players the only ones being singled out?
6 students have been suspended from school and may face felony charges. The adminstration is still looking at videos to see if they can finger anyone else. See latest link below.

http://www4.fosters.com/News2003/Oct.../sun_1026b.asp

Old
10-27-2003, 04:09 PM
canadahockeygirl*

Thanks for the link!

What I didn't realize until reading that article is that it didn't take place on campus. Seems like a shoddy deal to me for all of the UNH students involved, especially since the the few in the article had to be identified on videotape... WTF??

Old
10-28-2003, 07:16 AM
john g

ahhh yes, my alma mater again showing its true side

i doubt the players will recieve any stiff penalties. when I was their, there was a date **** incident involving the school's best football player, a arson incident with a landmark involving about 6 football players and a first degree assault charge in a party fight involving 3-4 hockey players as well as the star football player at the time and in all cases except one kid in the arson case, all players stayed in school until their athletic careers were over

Closed Thread