HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gunnarsson to NYR?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
  #276
Riche16
McCready guitar god
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
it depends on who we are trading for...if we panic and give up thomas or kreider for gunnarsson then i'm worried. but if we traded them for shea weber than i'd look at it as jumping at a chance to get a guy like weber with nothing to do with staal.

so yeah it could be viewed as a bad sign but it doesn't have to be a bad sign.
In your analogy, I'd be all smiles. Point taken but we both know that's probably not going to happen.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
  #277
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It seems like Markov has been perpetually injured for years, but Montreal has managed to hold on to their prospects.
Except for McDonagh of course.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:50 PM
  #278
blueshirtbolt
Registered User
 
blueshirtbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
wonder what semenov's at

blueshirtbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
  #279
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,604
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirtbolt View Post
wonder what semenov's at
Playing with SKA in the KHL.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
  #280
Tumsh
Registered User
 
Tumsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
I think Gunnarsson is a solid top 4 guy, and he will probably get better. However, I think that if the Rangers got him, they'd have another guy in the McDonagh and Sauer range of effectiveness. They're all young, with a chance to grow. This means that when Staal comes back, the Rangers will have 5 top 4 dmen, and even more fun, none of them great at the PP (which could normally justify giving one of them 3rd pairing minutes). So, it doesn't matter if he might outperform McDonagh or Sauer, because you're still looking at a bit of an overkill on D (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you have to give up solid prospects for it).

And even then, Erixson and MDZ are both looking pretty good, so if you got Gunnarsson, you're looking at blocking one of them out. So, while I think Gunnarsson is a good player to have, I don't think he's a very good fit for the Ranges. The rangers are not short on solid, responsible defense men with alright, but not good, offensive abilities.

Tumsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
  #281
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
I think Gunnarsson is a solid top 4 guy, and he will probably get better. However, I think that if the Rangers got him, they'd have another guy in the McDonagh and Sauer range of effectiveness. They're all young, with a chance to grow. This means that when Staal comes back, the Rangers will have 5 top 4 dmen, and even more fun, none of them great at the PP (which could normally justify giving one of them 3rd pairing minutes). So, it doesn't matter if he might outperform McDonagh or Sauer, because you're still looking at a bit of an overkill on D (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless you have to give up solid prospects for it).

And even then, Erixson and MDZ are both looking pretty good, so if you got Gunnarsson, you're looking at blocking one of them out. So, while I think Gunnarsson is a good player to have, I don't think he's a very good fit for the Ranges. The rangers are not short on solid, responsible defense men with alright, but not good, offensive abilities.
From what I have seen, Gunnarsson is not out of his comfort zone playing on the PP and distributing the puck. IMO it would allow the Rangers to bump Sauer or McDonagh down a pairing to play them with Erixon or MDZ as a steadying influence.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Gunnarsson
Erixon-Sauer

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:42 PM
  #282
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
In need of defensemen right now. When Staal and Sauer are healthy, Franson or Gunnarsson are now bottom pairing d-men playing 12 minutes a night, and are taking a spot from Del Zotto or Erixon.

Trading Thomas, who is obviously another victim of the "what have you done lately?" mentality, for a bottom pairing d-man is just a panic move at this point.
Gunarsson has been playing 20+ minutes a night with Phaneuf on Toronto's top pairing, and has proven that he can play in a top-4 situation before. He really stepped up at the end of last season when Kaberle was traded to Boston, and it's not as if we're talking about s youngster, here, the kid is 25, and he's very, very steady. He's smart, has a good outlet pass, and is a good skater. Just what this defense needs.

I'm far from a "panic!, we've struggled in the first week of the season, blow up the team!" type of fan, and I've been a proponent of adding another potential/legitimate top-4 defenseman to the team since, well, I don't even remember how far back I've been an advocate of it, but, the point is, I am; I am a fan of Thomas, and think he could certainly become an important player for this club, but I consider him relatively replaceable given the depth this team has at right wing on the roster, and in the system. Callahan, Gaborik, Fasth, Zuccarello, Prust in addition to Thomas. Far from aging, and far from thin; I'd argue it's rather deep, in fact. The team may have "depth" at defense in the form of skill, but Gunnarsson would probably be tied for 3rd or 4th best on this defensive squad. He's no slouch, and he's a very, very solid player.

Franson is a different story. He's skilled, but I think he's far too passive for his size, and his offensive game is relatively one dimensional; I wouldn't give up Thomas for him, but he could add an element of power to the powerplay given that his shot is harder than anyone that this team currently has in tow on the defensive side of things.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:45 PM
  #283
Tumsh
Registered User
 
Tumsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
From what I have seen, Gunnarsson is not out of his comfort zone playing on the PP and distributing the puck. IMO it would allow the Rangers to bump Sauer or McDonagh down a pairing to play them with Erixon or MDZ as a steadying influence.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Gunnarsson
Erixon-Sauer
He is on the Leafs second PP I think. He has a pretty good breakout pass, and he can move the puck around in the offensive zone. But I don't think he's bringing anything fantastic to the equation. He's not going to be an offensive black hole, like some people, but he's not exactly a catalyst either.

I think my comment about his ok, but not good offense came out a bit wrong. He's adequate, but he's not the kind of defense man that will make your offense thick, though he's not going to sabotage it either. But I don't think he's a massive upgrade over anyone in the Rangers's top 4, not enough to justify giving away good assets anyway. Because you will end up with one guy who is too good to be playing on the 3rd pairing. And his skill set is sort of what the Rangers have already.

Tumsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
  #284
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,396
vCash: 500
So what's the latest as of today.? Looks like he's stayin'? Goin'?

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:03 PM
  #285
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
So what's the latest as of today.? Looks like he's stayin'? Goin'?
Leafs have been winning so doubt they make a move but Franson is scratched again 2nite for Gardiner. You have to think that can't go on all season.

Leafs were interested in Zuke before he signed in NY so you never know

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
  #286
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
So what's the latest as of today.? Looks like he's stayin'? Goin'?
Well, like the above poster said, we're winning games and I don't think much will happen until that changes.

Franson =/= Gunnarsson.

I'm not sure where many of my fellow Leaf fans get this Franson hardon from, but I don't get it. He's exactly as advertised: huge frame, but doesn't use it to his advantage physically (i'd go as far as to say him and Gunnar are on par when it comes to physicality). He's also a slow skater which has had him trailing many plays (from what I have seen). He's got a good shot (so we are told in Leaf Nation) but we have yet to see it (albeit just a handful of games).

Gunnar has matured greatly since Kaberle left. He took the reigns of our primary PMD and hasn't looked back once. I don't get why we want to trade him, I really don't.

I don't think we should be moving anyone (murphy's law-as soon as we trade someone, there will be an injury). But if we had to, i'd prefer to see Franson go; to the highest bidder.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:32 PM
  #287
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Leafs have been winning so doubt they make a move but Franson is scratched again 2nite for Gardiner. You have to think that can't go on all season.

Leafs were interested in Zuke before he signed in NY so you never know
Zuccarello/Wolski for Franson.

I would be THRILLED.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:55 AM
  #288
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Zuccarello/Wolski for Franson.

I would be THRILLED.
Me too. I'd even throw in a little sweetener. No, not Girardi

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:17 PM
  #289
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
As I said (above) a few days ago, Franson isn't much to write home about. And he proved it again tonight. He was terri-bad all game. He's so non-physical he's scared to tie up a guy's stick in the crease. It's like he tries to keep a 2meter radius from any opposing player at all times.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:45 PM
  #290
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
As I said (above) a few days ago, Franson isn't much to write home about. And he proved it again tonight. He was terri-bad all game. He's so non-physical he's scared to tie up a guy's stick in the crease. It's like he tries to keep a 2meter radius from any opposing player at all times.
good maybe they will trade him, he's an upgrade over Woywitka or Eminger

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.