Notices

Teams asking about Bourque

Old
10-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Teams asking about Bourque

Was at lunch, watching TSN in the restaurant, and they mentioned some teams were asking about him. Ill try to find a confirming link.

Thoughts? Possibly clearing space for a center? Even if this is the case, who would be available?

Edit: Found
http://twitter.com/#!/darrendreger

Last edited by Skobel24: 10-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Was at lunch, watching TSN in the restaurant, and they mentioned some teams were asking about him. Ill try to find a confirming link.

Thoughts? Possibly clearing space for a center? Even if this is the case, who would be available?

Edit: Found
http://twitter.com/#!/darrendreger
I think moving Jokinen is more of a cap clearing move. Bourque could be a key cog in landing a top line centre, or the assets we get from him could be flipped to get one. I do have to say that it sounds pretty much like something big imminent.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:27 PM
neo45

vCash: 500
People may not like hearing this, but Bourque is expendable. He isn't playing in the top 6 right now and had an awful year last year. The Flames should try to trade him for an offensive center while they can.

I like Rene but he has some awful nights.

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
As per Bob Mckenzie twitter: Raitis Ivanans put on waivers

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:06 PM
MarkGio

Between Dreger, Bruce Garrioch (speculating Stajan, Hagman, Moss or Jokinen), and ESPN reporting trade rumors, I imagine something is one the horizon.

Steve Macfarlane from the Calgary sun said the rumors are designed to motivate Bourque.

Other key Rumors surrounding the possibility of Calgary landing a top line center man is that both Columbus & Tampa Bay are in the markets.

Old
10-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 734
Just because teams are asking about him, doesn't necessarily make him available.

Still, the minimum I expect in return is a 2nd round pick and a warm body who hasn't reached his potential. (I originally typed young player but that sounded creepy)

Or maybe to Columbus for Umberger?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:10 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
People may not like hearing this, but Bourque is expendable. He isn't playing in the top 6 right now and had an awful year last year. The Flames should try to trade him for an offensive center while they can.

I like Rene but he has some awful nights.
Because of Calgary's depth of wingers, you could argue that there is no top 6, rather a top 9. On the market, Rene Bourque is a top 6 forward in the NHL

Old
10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
neo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Because of Calgary's depth of wingers, you could argue that there is no top 6, rather a top 9. On the market, Rene Bourque is a top 6 forward in the NHL
I agree, I meant more in the sense that he is on the flames 2b line and can likely be replaced. I think Backlund, Morrison, or Hagman can be suitable for that roll if Borque is moved for a suitable #1C.

Tanguay - ???? - Iggy
Glenx - Jokinen - Moss
Hagman/Bmo/Backlund - Bmo/Backlund - Stempniak
Kost. - Stajan - Jackman

So ya, if the opportunity arises to move Bourque for a good centre the Flames should do it

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:04 PM
hockeyfreak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I agree, I meant more in the sense that he is on the flames 2b line and can likely be replaced. I think Backlund, Morrison, or Hagman can be suitable for that roll if Borque is moved for a suitable #1C.

Tanguay - ???? - Iggy
Glenx - Jokinen - Moss
Hagman/Bmo/Backlund - Bmo/Backlund - Stempniak
Kost. - Stajan - Jackman

So ya, if the opportunity arises to move Bourque for a good centre the Flames should do it
i love borque but i totally agree

hockeyfreak12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:06 PM
MarkGio

I think the Flames should be patient on any moves and wait to see what kind of chemistry the top line generates with Backlund in the line-up. If Backlund can't become a "Zajac"-type centreman between Iggy & Tanguay, then maybe the Flames should move guys like Borque or Moss. The problem with being patient is that the Flames need to win games in the mean time. Backlund isn't expected to be in the line-up until mid-November, and if they play under .500 hockey between now and then, chances are the Flames are going to have another season battling for the 9th to 10th spot.

Old
10-20-2011, 01:28 PM
MarkGio

Eklund is now blogging on the subject; claiming that Glencross is really the one generating interest:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...rigger/1/39032

Next to Nick Kypreos, all the major "insiders" have suggested that the Flames are in the market to make some moves.

Old
10-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

If Feaster trades Bourque for a "#1 centre" (which you know damn well it won't be), I'll become a freaking Oiler fan. Let Backlund be that #1 and stop ****ing up the team more than it already has.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
If Feaster trades Bourque for a "#1 centre" (which you know damn well it won't be), I'll become a freaking Oiler fan. Let Backlund be that #1 and stop ****ing up the team more than it already has.
Become an Oiler fan? I hope you're not serious...

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:47 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Ya... that's just blasphemy.

Old
10-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Eklund is now blogging on the subject; claiming that Glencross is really the one generating interest:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...rigger/1/39032

Next to Nick Kypreos, all the major "insiders" have suggested that the Flames are in the market to make some moves.
Glencross just signed his new contract in May and he has a NMC. He's not going anywhere, and I would be surprised if Feaster even considered trading him this year.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Glencross just signed his new contract in May and he has a NMC. He's not going anywhere, and I would be surprised if Feaster even considered trading him this year.
Exactly.

Bourque would bring in a package slightly better return than Penner IMO (Tuebert, 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd or 3rd round pick). Thats a pretty return good actually, and he doesn't even need to move him right away which is the nice thing. He can use from now up until the deadline to drive up his price. If he doesn't get an offer that is considered a very good one or benefits us, then he does not need to be traded, simple as that.

Old
10-20-2011, 03:38 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Exactly.

Bourque would bring in a package slightly better return than Penner IMO (Tuebert, 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd or 3rd round pick). Thats a pretty return good actually, and he doesn't even need to move him right away which is the nice thing. He can use from now up until the deadline to drive up his price. If he doesn't get an offer that is considered a very good one or benefits us, then he does not need to be traded, simple as that.
That price might drop if Bourque doesn't play well. A good GM knows when to sell high and buy low, and given that Bourque is still young-ish, coming off back-to-back 27 goal campaigns, his value is pretty high. If his play starts deteriorating, then maybe trading Bourque is an option worth exploring.

Old
10-20-2011, 03:40 PM
BigTree92

I would like to see this. Bourque is on the 3rd line and could be a top-6er on most teams. I think it would be best to trade him for a solid prospect and/or picks.

BigTree92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
That doesn't mean teams aren't asking about him, "generating interest" doesn't mean Feaster is shopping him, it just means teams are inquiring.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
I'm thinking Feaster is taking his time to see all the offers that come in for Bourque. I think he and management have a timeline set in their heads and if the team doesn't have xx amount of wins by xx date then we will see many faces moved including Bork.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
flamesfever

Feaster's doing his job here and that is determining the value of his assets and attempting to improve the team. The Flames didn't come out of gates and play like "every game matters"...more like "one period a game matters"

He should be looking around at the value of some of these players and i don't think its just happenstance that it leaked out.

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Xelstyle

Certainly doubt that Bourque would be packaged with anything of worth unless you're getting one hell of a deal. The value just isn't there for anything that we would be able to part with and stay competitive.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:05 AM
tfong

You guys can call me crazy but the first thing I thought about when moving Bourque was Turris.

Turris rights for Bourque straight up?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:08 AM
HoshiBlitz

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
You guys can call me crazy but the first thing I thought about when moving Bourque was Turris.

I think Phoenix would win in that deal. Should be conditional draft picks coming to us.

HoshiBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post

Turris would need to be signed to a contract first if we did that. I would move Bourque for Turris, but not straight up. Phoenix would need to add IMO. If they threw in a 2nd, I would sign off on it.

That would be pretty cool to have Backlund AND Turris on our team. In fact I really like this idea! That would be a potential great tandem to have down the middle for a long, long time.