HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Petry Assigned to OKC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
  #1
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Petry Assigned to OKC

OilersNow OilersNow



Oilers assign Jeff Petry to OKC Barons. #yeg #Oilers

JasonGregor Jason Gregor



Oilers have assigned Jeff Petry to OKC


credit to stauffer and gregor on twitter.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:22 PM
  #2
jebs
Registered User
 
jebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
It had to happen. Potter has been too good, I mean, if Chorney got claimed..

Im sure he will be back up soon enough.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:23 PM
  #3
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,857
vCash: 50
he'll be back and it will be a good thing to keep him playing, but with whitney back and potter playing well there isnt a spot for petry yet

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:24 PM
  #4
GreatKeith
Registered User
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,138
vCash: 50
I'm OK with this.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:25 PM
  #5
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Its unfortunate, he has played pretty well. Its just too bad that he's the only one we can send down right now.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:25 PM
  #6
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Petry was a victim of circumstance (couldn't be lost on waivers) but he'll be back soon.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:28 PM
  #7
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
Hopefully he goes down and lights it up . I remember reading that management was dissapointed in his play last year after he got demoted.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:44 PM
  #8
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
Petry was a victim of circumstance (couldn't be lost on waivers) but he'll be back soon.
This is pretty much the case, even if they wanted to send Potter down, which I'm certain they don't, he wouldn't clear.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:44 PM
  #9
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 500
They can get a very nice rotation going (if all d are healthy) with Peckham, Potter and Sutton moving in and out based on their play and the opponent.

Petry needs some seasoning anyway and OKC will benefit greatly from getting him back. When Lander goes down later this week when Gagner returns (or when Hemsky comes back) OKC will get even stronger.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:46 PM
  #10
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
this is BS, fire renney !!

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:50 PM
  #11
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
The Oilers have far too many #4,5 or 6 type of defencemen anyways. I'd so trade Petry along with Paajarvi if it helped land the harder to get #1 or 2 type d'man now. In two or three yrs Edmonton should have Klefbom or Musil ready to go anyways, so Petry is expendable now.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
  #12
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
The Oilers have far too many #4,5 or 6 type of defencemen anyways. I'd so trade Petry along with Paajarvi if it helped land the harder to get #1 or 2 type d'man now. In two or three yrs Edmonton should have Klefbom or Musil ready to go anyways, so Petry is expendable now.
They probably wont/shouldnt even be seeing any time in the NHL for at least 2 or 3 years meaning they will be ready to really contribute in 4-5 years, and thats if they reach their top potential. Petry might be expendable in 5 years but not now. He also does have #2 Dman potential, it would be a huge waste of development time to trade him now.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:55 PM
  #13
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,591
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
He'll be back as soon as someone else gets injured. I think Peckham or Sutton will be traded sometime this year and that'll keep Petry up for good.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:57 PM
  #14
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,351
vCash: 50
We all knew it would happen, but there are 4 defensemen still on the team who aren't as good as Petry.

It's not a matter of upside or future either. He's easily among our top 4 defensemen right now.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:58 PM
  #15
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Petry needs some seasoning anyway and OKC will benefit greatly from getting him back. When Lander goes down later this week when Gagner returns (or when Hemsky comes back) OKC will get even stronger.

This is true. He's not a young prospect, but he hasn't played a full season in the AHL yet. He could surely benefit from being a go-to guy down there. Whereas, a guy like Potter has nothing left to prove at that level.

And yes, I like the fact that it makes OKC stronger. A good farm team is vital for development. They have a better chance at making the playoffs than the Oilers do.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
  #16
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
They probably wont/shouldnt even be seeing any time in the NHL for at least 2 or 3 years meaning they will be ready to really contribute in 4-5 years, and thats if they reach their top potential. Petry might be expendable in 5 years but not now. He also does have #2 Dman potential, it would be a huge waste of development time to trade him now.
As weak as the Oilers blueline is now, he couldn't make the Oilers roster as a 5,6 or #7 option. Already 22 or 23, time to cut bait on this kid. Package him up for something that can help the blueline now, not hopefully next season, or the season after that. Poop or get off the pot already.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:12 PM
  #17
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
We all knew it would happen, but there are 4 defensemen still on the team who aren't as good as Petry.

It's not a matter of upside or future either. He's easily among our top 4 defensemen right now.

yeah, Barker getting a spot of Petry (as an example) is borderline ridiculous...but...it's not just hockey performance going into their decisions, and it's not horrible for him to go and get 1st-pairing time.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:14 PM
  #18
Tazzy13
Registered User
 
Tazzy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Unfortunate, but necessary.

Potter is a surprise for sure.

Petry and Peckham are the only 2 defencemen on the team that don't need to clear to go to OKC>

Peckham may be next if his craptacular play continues. Been terrible so far.

If Potter or anyone else goes on waivers they get claimed.

Only reason he got sent down IMO

Tazzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:16 PM
  #19
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,433
vCash: 50
wow, OKC is going to be good....if Petry has been sent down tell me Edmonton has unknown depth on defence today cause Petry is a regular today.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:16 PM
  #20
Hockey Fan #751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
They can get a very nice rotation going (if all d are healthy) with Peckham, Potter and Sutton moving in and out based on their play and the opponent.

Petry needs some seasoning anyway and OKC will benefit greatly from getting him back. When Lander goes down later this week when Gagner returns (or when Hemsky comes back) OKC will get even stronger.
Yeah right, Lander will be up all year as the Oilers' perpetual revolving door of injuries continues to churn. Who knows when Hall will be back? How about Eberle?

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:21 PM
  #21
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Yeah right, Lander will be up all year as the Oilers' perpetual revolving door of injuries continues to churn. Who knows when Hall will be back? How about Eberle?
Let's not get melodramatic. Hall has the flu. Eberle will be back next game.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
  #22
oilWILDcountry
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
As weak as the Oilers blueline is now, he couldn't make the Oilers roster as a 5,6 or #7 option. Already 22 or 23, time to cut bait on this kid. Package him up for something that can help the blueline now, not hopefully next season, or the season after that. Poop or get off the pot already.
Are you really that dense or just acting....

He got sent down because he's the only one who isn't waiver eligible.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
  #23
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
As weak as the Oilers blueline is now, he couldn't make the Oilers roster as a 5,6 or #7 option. Already 22 or 23, time to cut bait on this kid. Package him up for something that can help the blueline now, not hopefully next season, or the season after that. Poop or get off the pot already.
What a load of crap. Are you a troll? Petry got sent down because he can pass through waivers. Peckham who has sat out more games than Petry, has to be waived.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:25 PM
  #24
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,574
vCash: 500
Of course he's trolling, same guy that criticizes hall an 18 yo kid for going to the bars lololol

Don't be fooled, this quicksilver guy has been doing this for a while. Even before this account

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:25 PM
  #25
Moneypuck
Registered User
 
Moneypuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
What a load of crap. Are you a troll? Petry got sent down because he can pass through waivers. Peckham who has sat out more games than Petry, has to be waived.
It certainly couldn't be because we have far too many 4,5 or #6 d'men on the club or in the system already, could it?

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.