HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers recalled Brayden Schenn; Zac Rinaldo and Harry Zolnierczyk to AHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2011, 05:05 PM
  #151
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Walker was terrible last night.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
  #152
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
Anyways.

I wonder if Schenn will get any special teams time.

Schenn really didn't impress me at all during camp and preseason.

I didn't see him play at all in the AHL so i don't want to make any opinions about his game. Wouldn't be fair and would be real ignorant of me. Don't like stat watching.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
  #153
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
Waive Shelley... seriously.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
  #154
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,334
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Nodl is a bad example because he actually plays on the PK.

Nodl>Rinaldo.

People sometimes under appreciate how solid Nodl is on the PK.
I wasn't really knocking Nodl or saying Rinaldo was better, but I get what you are saying. The point is that an enforcer (any enforcer) playing five minutes a game is not really going to be a difference maker from having a different 4th liner there playing eight minutes. If you have the enforcer playing 15 minutes a game in key spots, yeah, I'd rather have someone else. But if its a choice between a guy who will drop the gloves and add grit playing five minutes per game or a slightly more skilled player playing eight minutes per game, I'll take the enforcer.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
  #155
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
It won't happen in a division of heavyweights and top middleweights.

So get used to seeing the tough guys.
Rinaldo ran Doughty. Was he "scared" of a heavyweight? No, he just didn't fight him. Instigator rule means enforcers only fight enforcers and it is usually staged. I think most fans would take Rinaldo over Shelley given the cap as well as what they provide.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:43 PM
  #156
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!
 
Flukeshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Milton, Ont
Country: Orkney Islands
Posts: 2,088
vCash: 500
Couturier has played well so far, but I'm not convinced he's here to stay yet. I'd be a mistake to move Hartnell. Injuries happen, rookies go on bad streaks or can slow down later in the year no being used to the 82 games NHL grind.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
  #157
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
They just don't have that player that will push back if we get pushed. I don't want Wayne Simmonds wasting his time having to be that guy who steps up to people. He is really the only one with some snarl besides Pronger and we all know Pronger isn't going to waste his time.
Didn't we just have a thread about Hartnell redefining his role?

How about he play with a little more snarl now since he's not needed for scoring.

Talbot can certainly play with an edge, more so than anyone on this roster not named Rinaldo.

Pronger is a physical force though he does it quietly, Meszaros likes to hit, and Coburn's physicality is underrated.

And Simmonds is certainly physical enough for everyone. If we don't need him to score let him devote some of that energy elsewhere.

We can have scorers that play with snarl. It isn't like they can flip a switch between the two.

Also let Nodl fight.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
  #158
Swiper the Fox
Registered User
 
Swiper the Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
get Hartnell back with briere or ship him to buff to play with leino


shelly can go
rinaldo can stay down (his reputation in the league is probably as bad or worse than carcillo's) thus every move he makes is penalty worthy , in the ref's eyes

i'm still not convinced voracek is a player 'bleeding orange & black' and possible a trade somewhere else for futures will free up enough space to keep schenn in the pic (assuming he plays well )

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:51 PM
  #159
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Couturier has played well so far, but I'm not convinced he's here to stay yet. I'd be a mistake to move Hartnell. Injuries happen, rookies go on bad streaks or can slow down later in the year no being used to the 82 games NHL grind.
It'd be a mistake to drop our best PKer

He's getting ice time. He's getting competitive ice time. He's playing well. He's practicing with grown men in the best professional league in the world. He's learning from all-world and former all-world and future hall-of-fame players. He's sheltered from the full storm while playing just enough to get that taste that will help him grow into a monster down the road.

We are developing Couturier far better here while he's helping us when than the other option of sending him down where he just dominates, possibly learns bad habits, and doesn't help us at all.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
  #160
SnS
Mod Supervisor
 
SnS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
get Hartnell back with briere or ship him to buff to play with leino


shelly can go
rinaldo can stay down (his reputation in the league is probably as bad or worse than carcillo's) thus every move he makes is penalty worthy , in the ref's eyes

i'm still not convinced voracek is a player 'bleeding orange & black' and possible a trade somewhere else for futures will free up enough space to keep schenn in the pic (assuming he plays well )
What's the basis on that? Because he isn't hard nosed?

He's playing damn well IMO, and has good chemistry Simmonds so far. I am a HUGE Carter fan, but I can't say I hate what we got for him. I like the way Voracek fits in.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/SnS-Sig.gif

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
  #161
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Walker was terrible last night.
I 100% disagree with you. For his first game of the season I thought he played very well. He also stepped up to the plate when some of our kids were getting faced washed by Neil. And at the end of the game when he smoked the sens hired gun. Me, I find a spot for him on my team. He is not the same player as last year. He is healthy and in very good shape.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
  #162
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It'd be a mistake to drop our best PKer

He's getting ice time. He's getting competitive ice time. He's playing well. He's practicing with grown men in the best professional league in the world. He's learning from all-world and former all-world and future hall-of-fame players. He's sheltered from the full storm while playing just enough to get that taste that will help him grow into a monster down the road.

We are developing Couturier far better here while he's helping us when than the other option of sending him down where he just dominates, possibly learns bad habits, and doesn't help us at all.
Well said Chris.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
  #163
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,727
vCash: 2572
Quote:
Schenn is not being recalled to sit, so expect him to face the unbeaten Caps on Thursday at the WFC.

So where will Schenn play?

Good question.

The third line – Sean Couturier centering Matt Read and Scott Hartnell – is a combined plus-12, best on the team. Will Schenn go on this unit and make it an all-rookie line? Will Hartnell be slipped to the fourth line?

Coach Peter Laviolette would not say where he planned to use Schenn, but he didn't rule out using an all-rookie line. That would likely have Schenn centering Read and Couturier.

Laviolette has many different ways to use Schenn. In addition to the all-rookie line, he could put Schenn with Wayne Simmonds _ the two have chemistry from playing together with the Kings _ and Read. In that scenario, Scott Hartnell might be reunited with Danny Briere (one goal in five games) on a line with Jakub Voracek, and Couturier would center the fourth line.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#ixzz1bGs09lwL

__________________
UNBRIDLED: THE SIRE OF CHAMPIONS


The only horse to win the Florida Derby, the Kentucky Derby and Breeders Cup Classic. Sire to multiple Grade 1 champions. The last horse to sire a winner in each Triple Crown race. Grandsire to American Pharoah.


MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:57 PM
  #164
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,029
vCash: 500
My ideal quartet of trios:

JVR - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Read
Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek
Talbot - Couturier - Nodl

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
  #165
3Fs
Registered User
 
3Fs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Before people get their panties in an uproar.
It will be lines 1-a 1-b 1-c and 1-d.
But seriously, what an excellent problem to have.
Hope coach is a coach and puts the puzzle together correctly.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:36 PM
  #166
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
Honestly, with how Hartnell is playing, I think he should either play with Briere or on the 4th line. But personally, he should be on the 4th line considering his struggles.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:38 PM
  #167
deflowd
Registered User
 
deflowd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
My ideal quartet of trios:

JVR - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Read
Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek
Talbot - Couturier - Nodl
I was trying to figure out how to fit in Schenn, but really why not something like this? If you have 4 lines that can drive play like these you don't need to fit the classic model of a team with two scoring lines, one checking line, and one line of goons. I can see this lineup being potentially unstoppable, especially since the special teams are covered.

Still there's only so much playing time to go around, but Couturier can focus on the defensive side of the game this year as well as adjust to NHL life.

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
  #168
alx83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflowd View Post
I was trying to figure out how to fit in Schenn, but really why not something like this? If you have 4 lines that can drive play like these you don't need to fit the classic model of a team with two scoring lines, one checking line, and one line of goons. I can see this lineup being potentially unstoppable, especially since the special teams are covered.

Still there's only so much playing time to go around, but Couturier can focus on the defensive side of the game this year as well as adjust to NHL life.
My thing is aren't Giroux and Schenn going to be the top two centers for the future anyway?

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:21 PM
  #169
3Fs
Registered User
 
3Fs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Country: United States
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Again, roll out four lines with equal time to each and whichever one is clicking...goes out for more minutes =)

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
  #170
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, with how Hartnell is playing, I think he should either play with Briere or on the 4th line. But personally, he should be on the 4th line considering his struggles.
what struggles? everyone assumes he is struggling because he isnt getting big minutes. Hartnell has been his usual self on the forecheck, and whenever that 3rd line is on the ice they are always pressing in the offensive zone and cycling the puck well. They also lead the team as a line with a plus 12.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:47 PM
  #171
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 633


This is awesome. How exciting is this new era in Flyers hockey??? Good luck Brayden Schenn!


healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:22 PM
  #172
Claude28Giroux
praiseG
 
Claude28Giroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lewiston, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,958
vCash: 500
Bury shelley and walker....literally....

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:44 PM
  #173
Broad Street
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It'd be a mistake to drop our best PKer

He's getting ice time. He's getting competitive ice time. He's playing well. He's practicing with grown men in the best professional league in the world. He's learning from all-world and former all-world and future hall-of-fame players. He's sheltered from the full storm while playing just enough to get that taste that will help him grow into a monster down the road.

We are developing Couturier far better here while he's helping us when than the other option of sending him down where he just dominates, possibly learns bad habits, and doesn't help us at all.
You're right on this.

In no way am I comparing the two players in terms of style, but look at what Boston did with Seguin last season. Played 4th line, and was even a healthy scratch for a few rounds in the playoffs. The point is to get the player to develop, and there's no better way to do that unless they start developing the habits of an NHL player.

Just think, if you were 18 years old and got the chance to practice with guys like Jagr and Pronger everyday, wouldn't you start to pick up on the things that make some players elite?

Broad Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:21 AM
  #174
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
My thing is aren't Giroux and Schenn going to be the top two centers for the future anyway?
Time will tell, altough I like Couturier more as the second liner and Schenn as the third liner, keep in mind that both might be able to play one line higher on some teams.

Couturier might be that special player who can put up 70-80 points while dominating defensively and also being a physical force.
I liked how Chris Shafer once compared Schenn with Mike Richards and Toews, I think he said something along the lines of "Schenn is more of a Toews light than Richards, or Richards light" and I think that's a fair asumption, altough I see Schenn being a little more physical than Toews, not just as "in your face" as Richie is from time to time. Schenn will, imo, have no problem getting 60points on a regular basis, I'm not sure how much more there is in terms of offensive output, though.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:44 AM
  #175
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Time will tell, altough I like Couturier more as the second liner and Schenn as the third liner, keep in mind that both might be able to play one line higher on some teams.

Couturier might be that special player who can put up 70-80 points while dominating defensively and also being a physical force.
I liked how Chris Shafer once compared Schenn with Mike Richards and Toews, I think he said something along the lines of "Schenn is more of a Toews light than Richards, or Richards light" and I think that's a fair asumption, altough I see Schenn being a little more physical than Toews, not just as "in your face" as Richie is from time to time. Schenn will, imo, have no problem getting 60points on a regular basis, I'm not sure how much more there is in terms of offensive output, though.
To clarify, I said I see more of Toews/Toews-lite from Schenn than a Richards. Schenn has a much smoother handling of the game which I believe Toews to have. Richards has a much more rugged, dominant style that isn't in line with what Schenn plays. Smooth is definitely the best way to describe it.

I think when I said that I was describing our team...

vanRiemsdyk - LeClair
Giroux - Forsberg-lite
Schenn - Toews/Toews-lite
Couturier - E. Staal

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.